• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can't really blame them tbh. It's a long running misconception. I remember a n article in either Animerica or Protoculture like 20 years ago that basically parroted the whole "Japan has no concept of super heros" bit. I'm surprised it hasn't completely died yet given how big Power Rangers has been in NA since the 90s, but I just take it for granted at this point.

A lot of people don't know that Power Rangers is based on a Japanese TV show. They just see a silly show with spandex wearing teenagers. They don't even consider them superheroes.

Faiz

A lot of people don't know that Power Rangers is based on a Japanese TV show. They just see a silly show with spandex wearing teenagers. They don't even consider them superheroes.

Acknowlging that yes, some people don't know it's a Japanese import/adaptation, those are not the people who would be discussing anime characters on neogaf.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, how come people can't tell certain places looking very Japanese

also we got toku heroes as early as late 60's

WillyFive

Wait, how come people can't tell certain places looking very Japanese

also we got toku heroes as early as late 60's

Japanese buildings and roads look just like American buildings and roads, so unless the camera was positioned in a way that Japanese text was visible (which is usually avoided so that the show doesn't give free publicity to a random local business); no one would be able to tell unless they knew what to look for.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Japanese buildings and roads look just like American buildings and roads, so unless the camera was positioned in a way that Japanese text was visible (which is usually avoided so that the show doesn't give free publicity to a random local business); no one would be able to tell unless they knew what to look for.

Maybe it's just because I've lived here so long, but Japanese buildings look a lot different than American ones. They really stand out in PR, imo!

BatDan

Maybe it's just because I've lived here so long, but Japanese buildings look a lot different than American ones. They really stand out in PR, imo!

To fans like us yes, but to the average viewer they don't know the difference.
That's not even getting into how all the buildings from 2003 onward were New Zealand based.

WarRock

My teenager self actually got really surprised when I first heard someone calling the Rangers super heroes. Even more when the same happened to some other manga characters.

The whole capes, masked identity, powersets being used in a certain way, cliched drama, rogue gallery stuff... it has become what a "super hero" is to most people.

I mean, ask to a random person if they consider Hercules (the mythological one, not the Marvel or the Sorbo one) a super hero.

Boss Doggie

Then again I noticed a lot because we got toku here since the 80's.

But there's also the sudden shift of quality (like wouldn't people notice the odd "low quality" camera used in fight scenes?). Also I distinctly remember stuff like an actual Japanese town in PRTurbo.

BatDan

My teenager self actually got really surprised when I first heard someone calling the Rangers super heroes. Even more when the same happened to some other manga characters.

The whole capes, masked identity, powersets being used in a certain way, cliched drama, rogue gallery stuff... it has become what a "super hero" is to most people.

I mean, ask to a random person if they consider Hercules (the mythological one, not the Marvel or the Sorbo one) a super hero.

This too. Americans have a very specific mindset on what makes a superhero. Capes, cowls, specific superpowers, recurring villains. A lot of stuff Toku heroes tend to avoid.
Plus, American superheroes usually don't kill their enemies. Toku heroes kill monsters all the time. I know Season 2 of Power Rangers tried to claim they don't kill the monsters (they show up again and again) but it's pretty clear they do.

WillyFive

Then again I noticed a lot because we got toku here since the 80's.

But there's also the sudden shift of quality (like wouldn't people notice the odd "low quality" camera used in fight scenes?). Also I distinctly remember stuff like an actual Japanese town in PRTurbo.

Weirdly enough, the Sentai footage used film and looked a lot better than the cheap tape video used in PR; but because the transfers that Saban got were so ridiculously low quality, the tape one actually looked better.

This too. Americans have a very specific mindset on what makes a superhero. Capes, cowls, specific superpowers, recurring villains. A lot of stuff Toku heroes tend to avoid.
Plus, American superheroes usually don't kill their enemies. Toku heroes kill monsters all the time. I know Season 2 of Power Rangers tried to claim they don't kill the monsters (they show up again and again) but it's pretty clear they do.

I remember that happening.

BatDan

Weirdly enough, the Sentai footage used film and looked a lot better than the cheap tape video used in PR; but because the transfers that Saban got were so ridiculously low quality, the tape one actually looked better.

I want to see someone try "Power Rangers Remastered" where they use the Shout Factory Super Sentai DVDs to replace the degraded footage.

Tiu Neo

Maybe it's because I have grown up with tokusatsu, but I never saw much difference between toku and superheroes.

Maybe something like the rescue Metal Heroes, or maybe even, dunno, Machineman or Cybercops, could come closer of what they consider a superhero? Is Robocop a superhero?

Rumour is Amazons will have 1 hour long episodes. That could just mean 40+ minutes but that's still going to be interesting if its true.

If they actually run closer to 60 minutes, that's the equivalent of about 3/4 a normal Rider season in length.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
To fans like us yes, but to the average viewer they don't know the difference.
That's not even getting into how all the buildings from 2003 onward were New Zealand based.

It may not be like that for the rest of the country. But outside of the japanese writings, their shooting locations do look like they could have been shot somewhere in la

Maybe it's because I have grown up with tokusatsu, but I never saw much difference between toku and superheroes.

Maybe something like the rescue Metal Heroes, or maybe even, dunno, Machineman or Cybercops, could come closer of what they consider a superhero? Is Robocop a superhero?

I would think so.

WillyFive

Superhero as anything that is the descendant of Superman, Henshin heroes would be more of a cousin than a child; but as heroes with extraordinary attributes (as descendant from characters like Beowulf) they are most certainly part of the family.

Boss Doggie

So finished watching Kamen Rider Wars and Kamen Rider 3.

These films suffer one thing in common - really decent films with a disappointing final act.

BatDan

Zyuohger 6

The MotW was totally DoraCirce from Zyuranger. Only a dinosaur instead of a pig.
Zyuoh Wild! The giant fights have been great this season, hell the land fights have been great too.
Yamato's conflict about morphing actually makes sense. But to be fair, both Larry and Eagle-man offered their power to him.
I'm going to miss Larry. I hope he returns in a future episode, he's awesome.

Next time though, KAIGAN: DOUBUTSU! Instinct Awakened. The Animal Kingdom Forsaken! ... Yeah I couldn't think of a good rhyme on the spot.

Faiz

Small communities on Gaf tend to be much more even handed than the internet at large. It's a mess out there.

It's a little off-topic for me to quote just this for the reply, several days late, but it was fresh in my mind and been harshly reminded how true that is this morning. I need to stick to smaller cummunity threads and keep my spirit up.

Boss Doggie

CeD0rgEVIAEggV6.jpg:large

Tiu Neo

Furries 06

Aaaand... the leader is still alive.

Interesting tradeback for getting an zyuman power. I wonder if the others will have to face it too if they get other forms.

Cube Gorilla is awesome. The new combination is awesome, and I'm glad they are using quite a lot of practical effects and costumes.

I hope we see more of Larri too.

delSai

I finally finished OOO. The series biggest strength was the cast of characters, from the Kamen Riders i watched it definitely had the best characters imo. And they all got their badass moments as well. Kougami was the best. It was a fun watch. Now i have to find the series i'll watch next.

Boss Doggie

Oh hey it's Shroud!

uxlQNlB.jpg

I finally finished OOO. The series biggest strength was the cast of characters, from the Kamen Riders i watched it definitely had the best characters imo. And they all got their badass moments as well. Kougami was the best. It was a fun watch. Now i have to find the series i'll watch next.

Yeah Eiji is one of the best Riders and Date is one of the best secondaries

WarRock

Zooger 6
Didn't notice that Azald uses Hulk shorts, hehe. This is the most subtle Red focus episode I've ever seen, damn. Yamato is a nice leader.

He also went full Tekken combo with the Gorillariat -> bounce -> juggle -> grab -> upper hahah. You know, even though the suits suck (though I would argue that they're not ugly), this show is just fun, and not in a completely dumb way. Can we get those writers for the next Rider season? And director too, no shaky cam during those huge grunt fights!

Oh, and the Cube Animals feel like what the origami mechs from Shinkenger were supposed to be. They actually work. Also, Zyuoh Wild not only looks closer to a traditional Sentai mech (compared to the previous two), but looks like they made the shoulder pieces not actual shoulder pieces, giving more flexibility to the stunt actor's arm movements? Certainly felt like it to me, though I didn't watch that much Sentai.

Crossover episode next week? Yes! ToQger x Gaim was good!

Oh hey it's Shroud!
Bahahahaha

javadoze

Larry Sentai Zyuohger 6

-So if Kusaka Zyuman and Larry both gave Yamato their zyuman energy, then I wonder if this means ZyuohZaWorld got his powers from three at once.

-The bits of character development with Larry in this episode were pretty heartwarming. I sure hope he returns later on.

-Between Joseph Joestar voicing Larry, Yamato's ORAs during the CubeGorilla sequence, and ZyuohZaWorld coming up, the unintentional Jojo references keep on coming.

-Also, I'm proud how they keep using practical effects for the mech even still.

-Next week: The Adventures of Yamato and Takeru, the Grateful Ghost.

jwk94

Heads up: Pluto TV app just launched on PS4/PS3. It's basically some TV channel, internet channel I guess? Either way, they're showed Ultraman subbed and Super Human Samurai Squad on two channels.

Just seen the latest Ghost episode. That henshin jingle is abominable. Same goes for the Omega Drive.

Seems like next week is gonna also be a cross-over episode for Ghost and Zyuohger, except focused on the world of Ghost this time. Maybe they'll tie together in some way, or be separate? Who knows.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 23

Damn, Alain was nerfed hard. The whole Ganma backstory is getting interesting, too.

The eyecon reunion was good, I hope we see more of that. The new form is cool too.

Bad timing for the crossover episode, but eh.

BatDan

Ghost 23

Good lord the belt jingles are getting out of hand. Did they really have to list off all 15 professions for the Eyecons? I blame OOO and its Tatoba.
I'm surprised that the "All Collectables" power-up is only the penultimate one, and the final form is still on the way.
Makoto is out of commission again. Is his actor doing something else to constantly be out of the picture?
At least Alain's face-turn has stuck for now. Damn, now I actually want to try Takoyaki.

WarRock

Ghost 23
Weakest Rider Kick of all time zzzzzz

Necrom can't be invulnerable anymore, of course. And Takeru needs to learn a lesson or two from Gentaro.
He should be dying for Makoto! Or something! Fact is: Makoto died thanks to him and everybody is going to gloss that shit over since that wasn't Makoto's human body.

javadoze

Ghost 23

-Makoto actually did stuff this episode! You know, he's actually decent whenever he's not evil, forced to be evil, out of commission, away for whatever reason, or pushed out of focus in favor of Takeru or Alain (or his own boring sister, for that matter).

-The sound mixing for the belt sounds in this show has been pretty tolerable to this point, but I sure hope they don't play the entire tune for Grateful every single time... (this is like approaching Wizard levels of too many belt sounds).

-Javert remains the eternal jobber of Ghost. Maybe he'll make his triumphant return soon?
...Just conveniently when it becomes time for Mugen to debut.

-So the spring crossover this time around isn't actually a special per se, but rather a different episode for each show? Might be interesting.

ReiGun

Not a fan of Ghost's new form at all. Ditches the cool jacket for what is a pretty generic super form.

Looks a lot like Kuuga Ultimate to me.

Top Bottom