• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
true enough, but for me I feel like most Sentai suits are budget when you get GB suits to compare

then again any Sentai suit will look like a budget suit when you look at it beside GB

vareon

Usually toku fan redesigns suck, but I think this is a very retro good remix of Zyuohger suits.

jyuuouger_by_megamanrockx2-d9l6shd.png

Why does current Tokusatsu hates scarf? Everything is better with scarf.

WarRock

I'm definitely interested! Thanks for the tip.

Usually toku fan redesigns suck, but I think this is a very retro good remix of Zyuohger suits.

jyuuouger_by_megamanrockx2-d9l6shd.png
So, my first reaction to this is: why the white pants? Why not use white stripes like in the shirts? Besides that, the general idea is pretty good. The pins and the V lines should be reworked to complement the belt IMO, specially the team is all about cubes, and there's no squares at all in the suit. What I REALLY like about this are the scarves. First, fuck yeah scarves, second, the artist used them to represent aspects of each animal (two wings for Red, double ended tail for Blue, the rounded end for Yellow); that's pretty damn cool.

javadoze

The Ultraman Orb suit looks great alongside its fusion gimmick (and whose host is played by Kai from Den-O for some reason?).

In other news, Seiji Takaiwa is playing a new Ganma general in Ghost. He's finally taking a turn to the dark side of Kamen Rider.

Boss Doggie

So Zoo 11 is good but there's one problem

that fucking "dilemma" scene, that shit bothers me because they can actually resolve both

Why does current Tokusatsu hates scarf? Everything is better with scarf.

iirc stunts are hard to do with scarves

Ultraman Orb is basically Ultraman Decade? Man, Tiga suit was so good. I should rewatch it at some point.

I thought that was Ginga

Here is some news from Tokusatsu Network about Ultraman Orb.
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/04/first-details-ultraman-orb-emerge/

Ultraman Orb stars Hideo Ishiguro, who previously portrayed Kai in Kamen Rider Den-O, as Kurenai Gai. As Orb, Gai utilizes the powers of previous Ultras in his different forms. His main form, Specium Zeperion, combines the powers of the original Ultraman and Ultraman Tiga. His Burn Mite form is composed of Ultramen Mebius and Taro, and Hurricane Slash is a union of Zero and Jack.

Here is some director's thought about the new show.
“We aimed to make a classic back-to-basics Ultraman and as well as an entertaining product.” As for the revolutionary concept of transforming using the power of past heroes, “Instead of going higher, we went ‘diagonally’ and made ‘When in doubt, play around’ as the production motto. We wanted to make an Ultraman born of free ideas.

vareon

Ultraman tried a lot of gimmick since years (from Ultra Galaxy, I think?) and none of them particularly sticks. A shame since I really want Ultraman to be prominent again.

For all the shit Toei made like rubik cube changer and minecraft megazord, they seem to be more preferred by kids.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 11

Well that arc is solved, basically they can go home at anytime now. Of course they won't since there's still the Dethgaliens and toys to sell for another 10 months.
8 Part combo this early. Hopefully the later Megazords aren't clusterfucky. They probably will be though...
*checks Faiz subs* Damn, nothing outside of TV-Nihon...

Boss Doggie

I seriously love how every discussion about bird man is pretty much linking his attitude to Kusaka and that people just call him Kusaka

Zyuohger 11

The cube was 5 feet away. Jesus fuck.

yeah easily the only bad part of the ep

Zyuohger 11

Well that arc is solved, basically they can go home at anytime now. Of course they won't since there's still the Dethgaliens and toys to sell for another 10 months.
8 Part combo this early. Hopefully the later Megazords aren't clusterfucky. They probably will be though...
*checks Faiz subs* Damn, nothing outside of TV-Nihon...

they can't go home anytime now because they didn't have the cube

Ultraman tried a lot of gimmick since years (from Ultra Galaxy, I think?) and none of them particularly sticks. A shame since I really want Ultraman to be prominent again.

For all the shit Toei made like rubik cube changer and minecraft megazord, they seem to be more preferred by kids.

Zero is a game changer.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 11

Why don't villains buy better batteries for their mass destruction toys?

I wonder if uncle will ever discover (or even if he even already knows) their identities.

8 cube formation was... still ok, I guess. But I'm afraid of what is to come.

I wonder if there is something wrong with Zyuland. That may work well with the Deathgaliens not being the true final enemy teory.

EDIT: Also, Sun Vulcan 37. HOLY FUCK. I never thought I would see something like that in a toku, in special in special in one where the villain calls himself Füher.
He captures everyone from one species (Denzian, which are humans with ESPer powers), and tries to kill them in a gas chamber. And I was like WHAT THE FUCK, DUDE?

Older sentai was hardcore as fuck.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Saikyou no Ouja 11

I mean, they didn't NEED to make the ground level of their regular giant set, but they did! And it looks alright!

I still think this is a pretty alright show. I wonder when/if we'll get a sixth member - I guess it can't be the Bird Man or Larri, since they already gave their power away....

Ginga no Ookami <random episodes>
I'm browsing some Juspion episodes (MegaBeast empire released 36 episodes so far) and man, I forgot how Juspion story is balls out crazy.
Also, those robot battles were something else, holy shit.

Tiu Neo

Saikyou no Ouja 11

I mean, they didn't NEED to make the ground level of their regular giant set, but they did! And it looks alright!

I still think this is a pretty alright show. I wonder when/if we'll get a sixth member - I guess it can't be the Bird Man or Larri, since they already gave their power away....

Ginga no Ookami <random episodes>
I'm browsing some Juspion episodes (MegaBeast empire released 36 episodes so far) and man, I forgot how Juspion story is balls out crazy.
Also, those robot battles were something else, holy shit.

I thought it would be the Bird Man, because he also has a champion cube, but after this episode I'm not too sure.

I have to rewatch the Metal Hero shows someday. Maybe after I watch all the Sentai series.

Makai Tales Ep. 2

Wasn't expecting to see Amiri & Zinga again. Kinda hope we get more of their backstory even though it'd probably make their eventually heel turn even more tragic than it already is. Still not sure how/if they fit into the main Garo timeline.

WarRock

Zyuohger 11
"The planet destroying machine is completely immobile and turned off! What should we do before it activates again and kill us all? Yeah, hide into our house and get some sleep! Maybe TOMORROW when it's turned on again we'll be able to do something!"

Great writing here guys. Anyway, I did not expect a STEM x Humanities duality of sorts in a sentai episode. Great going, uncle. Tons of other stuff to like in this episode, too. The team fighting against a giant monster without the mechs, the well handled Red focus in the first half, the nice gattai sequence that did not end with a clusterfuck mech... Nice, nice.

Yamato is probably the best Red in years?

(And I JUST noticed that the chosen wielders of the Champion Symbol are the champions of their respective biome... I'm slow...)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
(And I JUST noticed that the chosen wielders of the Champion Symbol are the champions of their respective biome... I'm slow...)

They LITERALLY call it out in their henshin phase (Ozora no ouja, savannah no ouja).

I mean, I never really though about they being the actual champions of some sort of competition between the animals of that region, but it's quite well known that the Lion is the king of the jungle...

Boss Doggie

Zyuohger 11
"The planet destroying machine is completely immobile and turned off! What should we do before it activates again and kill us all? Yeah, hide into our house and get some sleep! Maybe TOMORROW when it's turned on again we'll be able to do something!"

To be fair though, they were severely injured.

Now the one thing you should be harping about is the cube being only a few feet from their grasp yet had this "dilemma".

WarRock

Well, yeah, but that had enough complains already. There was no reason to not even try to shot at the thing while it was inactive. Heck, call Giraffe, nuke it. If it didn't work, yeah, time to regroup.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 28

Onari still the best. Will Javert becomes a semi-ally too? (at least before dying for good?)

Deep Specter looks ok, but I'm not feeling the horn/eyebrows.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 28

We've got a full team now! Deep Specter is alright, nice to have Makoto shine for once after multiple episodes of getting shafted. Though was that fight scene directed by Koichi? Sooo many explosions.
I sense Javert will also go to the side of good eventually. But we'll see.
If this is the last time we see Cubi, then that would be a surprise. The comic relief monster surviving is more a Sentai thing.
I'm not leaning on the side that the Sage and Eadith are not the same. Eadith could easily tell that the Ganmeisers were active, where it was a surprise to the Sage. Unless this is a trick to fool the audience.

Next week:
Is that the fucking Insect Ganma? Good lord, they really did spend all the budget on the different Rider forms didn't they?

NeonZ

Ghost 28

Next week:
Is that the fucking Insect Ganma? Good lord, they really did spend all the budget on the different Rider forms didn't they?

Usually we'd get only one suit per two episode arc though. We just got the new Ganmeiser suit so it makes sense that there's no new suit next episode. Although Gaim did have less monsters than usual, so we'll probably end up with something similar here.

WarRock

Oh. Yeah, that sucked hard. Kinda of a Rider The First situation.

Ghost 28 Or How I Remembered My Days Are Literally Counted
Making Bright proud! EXPLOSIONS! DIVE TOO DEEP! EXPLOSIONS!
Not as much explosions as Deadheat's debut, but BEYOND DEEP EXPLOSIONS!

More important, are we getting a webseries/movie about the ganma hitchhikers? I think we deserve it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I can't figure if that is praise or an insult.

Kiva isnt as bad as people like to say it is. Going in with a negative opinion, i actually liked it. Its not in my top ten series, but its not that bad. I definetely like it more than den o

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's like Kiva because it started out relatively solid and now has gone to a place where things seem to be randomly happening and the plot is mostly nonsensical---though it's still "fun" to watch I think. Right now the stupid little side plots are better than the main one.

I guess Igor is basically comic relief now too.

Slayven

Kiva isnt as bad as people like to say it is. Going in with a negative opinion, i actually liked it. Its not in my top ten series, but its not that bad. I definetely like it more than den o

I am saying it's bad. But it wasted a lot of time and potiental. That and the last third of the story seemed like it was just thrown together, even thought it shouldn't have been.

Boss Doggie

I think Sage and Eadith could be twins.

It's like Kiva because it started out relatively solid and now has gone to a place where things seem to be randomly happening and the plot is mostly nonsensical---though it's still "fun" to watch I think. Right now the stupid little side plots are better than the main one.

I guess Igor is basically comic relief now too.

I think, and I hope they are going with this, is that to show that despite being from Ganmaland, they still have emotions and such, hence why Igor suddennly becoming like a crybaby.

I can't figure if that is praise or an insult.

Kiva isn't bad. Kiva was a solid, run of the mill Rider series. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. With the same material, you could've made a much better show. Otoya was the only time it felt like it elevated beyond that.

And entire season of treading water. Not sinking the brand, but not elevating it either. Ghost is like that.

Slayven

Kiva isn't bad. Kiva was a solid, run of the mill Rider series. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. With the same material, you could've made a much better show. Otoya was the only time it felt like it elevated beyond that.

And entire season of treading water. Not sinking the brand, but not elevating it either. Ghost is like that.

still can't figure the point of Wataru's little friend that disappeared like in the first 16 episodes.

Maybe Sage has something to do with the Ganmeisers, considering they can take human form and there's a mystery surrounding him and his capabilities. Not saying he is one, but...

Top Bottom