• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mugen Ghost scans are out...he really does look like Infinity, but pretty sweet.

Seems the movie this summer will have a Dark Ghost + Napoleon Soul while Ghost gets Darwin Soul. I recall they're running a poll to determine what other historical figures will get Eyecons, but I don't think that's gonna extend to a suit given the time frame between the poll closing and the film. Unless Toei cheap out on the design.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Damn right, it's space time!

I kinda wish Fourze got hit with this "epilogue" movies. Like I wanna see some Meteor saga.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger vs ToQger

Kind of middle on the road on this one... there were good parts, but quite a bit of bad.
I'm glad that the ToQgers got a good share of screentime, unilke the last two VS movies giving the previous team the shaft.
Some good fight scenes (Hikari + Kasumi finishing Schwartz was awesome).
The Zyuohger cameo was fun.

This did make realize the problem with Ninninger, especially after watching Zyuohger. The Ninjas lack chemistry. Their relationships really didn't feel believable. They tell us Takaharu and Fuuka are siblings, but they don't really act like it.
Also, I have to partially forgive Right. He is so much better in comparison to Taka. He's still not a good Red but he's slightly gone up in my eyes.
Mavro was a lame villain. Also reminded me of Super Megaforce and that's not a god thing.

So long ToQgers. I won't really miss you, but I know a lot of people will.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ninninger had- good action, a good ending dance, and momoninger whose character name I forgot

Toqger had- well I guess I'll wait for the next sentai to start

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
m4ibfRK.jpg

I think I like the show more than I remembered

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I put ToQ over Ninnin due to the plot. The premise behind ToQ was the best one Sentai has had since Timeranger.

Yeah, and honestly I think the finale handled it properly too.

i wouldnt. the weakest of the main nin group was its red. everyone else was good. toQ strongest main cast was akira and tokatchi. everyone else was useless.

Ehh I disagree, only Kasumi and Kinji were good in Ninnin

and then that's not even counting the supporting cast, which ToQ blows out of the water

Tiu Neo

I don't dislike either. They're not the best, but each one of them had their good and bad parts.

Both wasted a lot of their potential. At this point, ToQ hurts more because it was a unique setting.

Anyway, ToQ vs Ninnin

ToQNinjas was cool. Poor Kinji.... And did the ToQGers forget Akira existed? Well, took his time, but was awesome as always.

Zyuohger part was pretty good too. Actually, better than most of their series own fights, as it always is with those appearances.

Love that ToQ finisher, wish it was used more in their own series. Goemon Shwartz was an... interesting choice. Mavro was... eh. Not a good villain.

Good choice using the Ninninger robots for the fight, and a train fight for the ToQgers. The part the trains turned into the robot just shows how the ToQ robots are a mess.

OK Movie. Overall it was better than last year's crossover, imo.

WillyFive

Ninnin vs ToQ and ToQ vs Kyoryu were both lame. Especially the latest one, it was a straight up remake of Gosei vs Shinken, except this time neither of the teams had interesting characters.

It also feels like they have reverted back to the very formulaic crossovers of the 90's, despite that since 199 Heroes crossovers have been doing a lot of new and exciting stuff breaking up the formula.

Obviously 199 Heroes brought the entire Sentai series into one cohesive universe, but Gokaiger vs Gavan was also a fantastic movie that excelled in every area, Go-Busters vs Gokai was a spectacle with a bigger budget and having the plot develop during their massive ground and zord battle, and of course Dino War threw away all traditions and formulas and did something entirely new altogether.

But I guess the box office returns weren't all that great and they just went back to the rut they were in before.

that's not gokaiger vs gavan or dekaranger vs abaranger

Magi vs Deka was better than Deka vs Aba.

NeonZ

Obviously 199 Heroes brought the entire Sentai series into one cohesive universe, but Gokaiger vs Gavan was also a fantastic movie that excelled in every area, Go-Busters vs Gokai was a spectacle with a bigger budget and having the plot develop during their massive ground and zord battle, and of course Dino War threw away all traditions and formulas and did something entirely new altogether.

But I guess the box office returns weren't all that great and they just went back to the rut they were in before.

199 Heroes actually had great box office. It's the only Sentai movie that comes close to the average box office of a Rider movie. The Vs Gavan movie also did better than every other Sentai Vs movie. The numbers started falling afterwards though. Go-busters vs Gokai and Kyoryu vs Go-Busters still performed decently - better than Gosei vs Shinkenger at least, but there was a big drop for Toqger vs Kyoryu and the last movie performed barely higher than Go-onger vs Gekiranger, which was a 50 minutes direct to video hastily moved to theaters.

I liked Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters, due to the other dino teams being there, but aside from that, I think all Vs movies from Go-Busters vs Gokaiger to Toqger vs Ninninger were big step backs from the previous movies. They all felt like the past team was only there for extra fighting scenes, with the story and emotional beats only being relevant to the current team. Toqger vs Kyoryu could barely get both casts on set together and had a really underwhelming final battle. I haven't watched the new movie yet though.

Anyway, I don't think it's due to low box office. Toei is just too tied to tradition, even relatively recent ones. Megamax was the best performing Movie Wars feature after 2010, and yet aside from keeping the director for Ultimatum it had no influence in future movies. Go-Busters vs Gokaiger retreated right back to the standard Vs movie formula, rather than attempting to be a 199 Heroes 2.

NeonZ

Who directed this Chase movie? It is sure is different, I am pretty sure we just watched robot sex

Kuuga's and Hibiki's main director. I liked his overall directing, but the battles were really underwhelming - somehow even worse than Osamu Kaneda's (who actually surprised me with the recent Ghost & Drive movie).

I had read bad reviews about Super Movie Wars Genesis, but I mostly enjoyed it. The biggest problem is just that the guest drama writer they got clearly didn't care about a talking belt, so Krim's scenes are always really rushed, and he only has lines when absolutely necessary for the plot. However, outside of that, it's a better team up than most Sentai Vs movies in recent years and really shows that the split stories format was flawed for the Movie Wars. There's a good transition to Tomari learning about Ghost and the Ganma and getting involved with them and after that the cast of both series mostly stays together. Even when they split into groups, there are always cast members from both shows in the groups.

Specter teams up with Drive and Ghost before the point where he actually befriends Ghost again in the tv show (this movie should take place right before the first time all Eyecons were gathered) and it seems like due to that they avoided making him very friendly, but the way they avoided the continuity issue creates another problem with the movie. He just stays silent most of the time, with very few lines. He's often just brooding in the background while observing everyone else. The final battle had a big CG monster...but I don't think it was really ugly, and thankfully it was shown to be powerful, rather than randomly getting one shotted like what happened in Gaim's summer movie.

The ending attempts to throw an excuse for Shinnosuke's lack of involvement with the Ganma issue after this team up, although it's kind of weak, especially because they seemed to forget about Mach and there was no explanation for him. Still, most movies don't even bother with that, so it still counts as a plus to me.

WillyFive

199 Heroes actually had great box office. It's the only Sentai movie that comes close to the average box office of a Rider movie. The Vs Gavan movie also did better than every other Sentai Vs movie. The numbers started falling afterwards though. Go-busters vs Gokai and Kyoryu vs Go-Busters still performed decently - better than Gosei vs Shinkenger at least, but there was a big drop for Toqger vs Kyoryu and the last movie performed barely higher than Go-onger vs Gekiranger, which was a 50 minutes direct to video hastily moved to theaters.

I liked Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters, due to the other dino teams being there, but aside from that, I think all Vs movies from Go-Busters vs Gokaiger to Toqger vs Ninninger were big step backs from the previous movies. They all felt like the past team was only there for extra fighting scenes, with the story and emotional beats only being relevant to the current team. Toqger vs Kyoryu could barely get both casts on set together and had a really underwhelming final battle. I haven't watched the new movie yet though.

Anyway, I don't think it's due to low box office. Toei is just too tied to tradition, even relatively recent ones. Megamax was the best performing Movie Wars feature after 2010, and yet aside from keeping the director for Ultimatum it had no influence in future movies. Go-Busters vs Gokaiger retreated right back to the standard Vs movie formula, rather than attempting to be a 199 Heroes 2.
I think Go-Busters vs Gokai is a great change from the traditional VS formula.

Usually the climax of a movie is the team teaming up and morphing and doing their roll call together, this happens at the near end of the movie once all plot lines have been resolved (outside of defeating the bad guy, of course).

But in Go-Bus vs Gokai, this happens only half-way through the movie; and the entire second half is devoted to actual plot stuff while morphed. It has the best action section of all the vs movies, and not just because it's 30 minutes long, but because there is so much awesome stuff happening in it. That was a really well made movie, great direction and production values, all the way to the score.

NeonZ

I think Go-Busters vs Gokai is a great change from the traditional VS formula.

Usually the climax of a movie is the team teaming up and morphing and doing their roll call together, this happens at the near end of the movie once all plot lines have been resolved (outside of defeating the bad guy, of course).

But in Go-Bus vs Gokai, this happens only half-way through the movie; and the entire second half is devoted to actual plot stuff while morphed. It has the best action section of all the vs movies, and not just because it's 30 minutes long, but because there is so much awesome stuff happening in it. That was a really well made movie, great direction and production values, all the way to the score.

The issue with that movie to me is that the whole drama basically only involves half of the cast. The Go-Busters have the story with the Buddyroid sacrifice, but the Gokaiger in the final battle have nothing aside from fights. I also thought those battles were often fairly disappointing, like how Basco's brief return and battle are much worse than the ones in his tv finale and the new villain wasn't really portrayed on Akudos' level.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 14

A monster convinces a normal citizen to help commit a crime to save a loved one. Without brainwashing. Did a Rider plot accidentally slip into this?
I like how there was no miracle at the end. It's a downer but it's a good lesson for kids that life isn't always going to go your way. Work hard and all that.

Next week
Leo with that sniper rifle and suit. Fuck yeah

Tiu Neo

Kinda late but Aba vs Deka is the best Vs. movie, if anything for the plot twist.

Out of town this week, next week I'll catch up. :(

Top Bottom