• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember people being down on Drive at first, but it hooked me from Day 1 and I thought it honestly improved once Episode 25 dropped the "secret identity" bullshit. And none of the characters ended up being wasted really, even Hayase and Harley played a small role at the end.

Ghost---yeah, bumming me out. I really do wonder if its drop in quality, though some may argue it was pretty lackluster to begin with, may have been due to all the good writers and money going to Amazons. That seems to be where the Insert Song went at the very least.

Still no trademark for the next series---I wonder, do you think Toei may switch from the yearly Rider series in favor of shorter series like Amazon? Seems like financially and critically the latter makes sense.

delSai

Are you enjoying how much Gills suffers for your entertainment?

Oh absolutely.
Unfortunately i have the same problem with Gills that i have with Necrom: I like Ashihara/Alain, but their Rider Forms i dont like >_> Oh well, Hikawa makes up for that.

Jaeger

Actually a surprisingly decent summer movie.

So far it's really good. I just wasn't expecting to really like this as much as I have so far. Last KR series I tried to watch was OOO and at the time it didn't resonate with me like Drive has. Although I will have to give it another shot.

BossRush

So far it's really good. I just wasn't expecting to really like this as much as I have so far. Last KR series I tried to watch was OOO and at the time it didn't resonate with me like Drive has. Although I will have to give it another shot.

Getting through OOO is easier if you enjoy the characters, it also has a really REALLY strong finale

Tiu Neo

Still no trademark for the next series---I wonder, do you think Toei may switch from the yearly Rider series in favor of shorter series like Amazon? Seems like financially and critically the latter makes sense.

Dunno if Bandai would like that... How do Rider toys sell compared to Sentai toys?

Jaeger

Just finished Surprise Future. Really enjoyed it. Didn't care for the villain monster design (I don't think Takeya did it either), but the film exclusive Rider designs were awesome. Especially
Type Special.

Getting through OOO is easier if you enjoy the characters, it also has a really REALLY strong finale

I definitely have to give it another go. I was on maybe ep 20 before I stopped initially.

Dunno if Bandai would like that... How do Rider toys sell compared to Sentai toys?

Wayyyyyy better. Kamen Rider is #3 for Bandai toy sales. Power Rangers/Sentai overall edges out Rider, but in toys, Rider wins.

51JDDic.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wayyyyyy better. Kamen Rider is #3 for Bandai toy sales. Power Rangers/Sentai overall edges out Rider, but in toys, Rider wins.

51JDDic.png

So that does cover both PR and Sentai and not just Sentai? Damn, that's really sad considering KR is Japan-only and Power Rangers is everywhere.

BatDan

It does, since there's no a separate line item. Even with the full sales of everything (page 2), Power Rangers/Sentai is only 500 million yen ($4.5 million) ahead of Kamen Rider in sales.

Oh wow.
The 2017 report is going to be interesting to see when the movie comes out. If it barely does better than KR, then there needs to be some major reworking

Or finding a way to bring Kamen Rider overseas for even more money.

NeonZ

I remember people being down on Drive at first, but it hooked me from Day 1 and I thought it honestly improved once Episode 25 dropped the "secret identity" bullshit. And none of the characters ended up being wasted really, even Hayase and Harley played a small role at the end.

Ghost---yeah, bumming me out. I really do wonder if its drop in quality, though some may argue it was pretty lackluster to begin with, may have been due to all the good writers and money going to Amazons. That seems to be where the Insert Song went at the very least.

Ghost has a drama writer new to toku headlining the series, and it seems like things just didn't work out well.

He didn't write any episodes for one month now though, and apparently won't be writing the next couple, so some people are speculating that we might be seeing a writer change. Although I think Fourze's writer sometimes did go through almost two months without writing any episodes too, especially around the time he was presumably writing for the Movie Wars and summer movie. So, it could be just something like that again.

yeah Kaito is great.

Now I'm to the point where micchy reveals himself to Kouta. I guess I'll finish it by Thursday

Watch the Drive x Gaim movie afterwards. It's a better epilogue to Gaim than the final episode epilogue itself.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Drive took me while to get into as I felt that would take about episode 10-13 for the show to really get going and I was correct on that. Plus Chase was one of the biggest highlight about Drive.

As for Ghost, I still enjoy watching it but the plot really needs get moving.

Are you enjoying how much Gills suffers for your entertainment?

The writer sure loved making Gills suffer.

I suspect that they are probably planning a big series to celebrate Kamen Rider 50th anniversary, hence why Ghost felt so low budget.

Jaeger

Alright gents, what should I start on next?

OOO, Gaim, Wizard, or Fourze? Since Ghost is still running I am putting that to the side, for now anyway.

I really really wanna cosplay as Drive now, too.

5l2TttP.jpg

*splooge

Alright gents, what should I start on next?

OOO, Gaim, Wizard, or Fourze? Since Ghost is still running I am putting that to the side, for now anyway.

I really really wanna cosplay as Drive now, too.

5l2TttP.jpg

*splooge

Fourze and Gaim are equally good, but in different directions.

OOOs is pretty good, but doesn't touch the other two.

Skip Wizard.

vareon

Ghost has a drama writer new to toku headlining the series, and it seems like things just didn't work out well.

He didn't write any episodes for one month now though, and apparently won't be writing the next couple, so some people are speculating that we might be seeing a writer change. Although I think Fourze's writer sometimes did go through almost two months without writing any episodes too, especially around the time he was presumably writing for the Movie Wars and summer movie. So, it could be just something like that again.

Speaking of writers, while most enjoy Gaim, I don't think it made a difference in Bandai/Toei's eyes? IIRC sales and ratings didn't improve much. We don't have any info if Takebe is on board for next Rider, so I feel there's not much incentive for Bandai to shake up the structure they have now.

BatDan

Zyuohger 16

Worst Anthrocon ever.
So the Dethgaliens are trying to find other zyuman, but they think that people in obvious costumes are possibly zyuman. ... They're not very smart.
I guess Mario doesn't get out much if this is the first he's heard of Zyuoh Eagle. Does the news not report on them or has the Super Sentai Universe gotten so used to spandex-clad heroes fighting monsters in their giant robot that it's pretty much passe.

Next time
ZA WARUDO

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Zootopia 16 is both hilarious and dark.

Also I laugh if Dethgaliens instead stumbled to an american furcon.

next ep is a chimera yiff-tastic time

https://twitter.com/AmazonVideo_JP/status/737498904103550976

Amazons Season 2. Coming 2017.

They told you to believe in Amazon and we did. And we got it.

Kamen Rider Amazons and an Ultraman Orb spinoff will be made available on Amazon Prime worldwide!

Seems like the tide is finally changing for Kamen Rider in terms of official English releases.

clapping-crowd-applause.gif

Good. Even if Rider 2016 is a bummer, Amazons will carry us through. Hopefully, this will become the new thing. Maybe not with just Amazons, but other Riders.

Jeffrey

Oooh so Amazons is worth watching? Wasn't a huge fan of the original.

Been catching up on ultraman seasons that have been uploaded to crunchyroll, fun stuff.

Oooh so Amazons is worth watching? Wasn't a huge fan of the original.

Been catching up on ultraman seasons that have been uploaded to crunchyroll, fun stuff.

I hated the original Amazon. But Amazons is essentially the Rider we've wanted as adult consumers of the show. No toys to worry about, solid cast, and a heaping helpful of death. It's not Garo hard though. Still very much a Kamen Rider show.

Tiu Neo

Amazons deserve it. Wouldn't mind if they did the same with other series. Just imagine a modern Black remake.

And the way it's going, it'll soon be longer than the original series, heh.

Jeffrey

oh shit. Didn't realize sakamoto is back doing... ghost? Hearing mostly negative stuff about that though. I assume the fights are cool?

Anyone here watching the new Garo show? Worth watching?

NeonZ

Speaking of writers, while most enjoy Gaim, I don't think it made a difference in Bandai/Toei's eyes? IIRC sales and ratings didn't improve much. We don't have any info if Takebe is on board for next Rider, so I feel there's not much incentive for Bandai to shake up the structure they have now.

Gaim, merchandising-wise, is the 3rd best performing series only behind OOO and Fourze. However, the ratings didn't really get any boost and the movies didn't perform well on theaters either (although none of the movies were written by Urobuchi). It did sell discs decently, unlike OOO and Fourze, but it was closer to W than to Den-O, so, nothing too impressive there.

Either way, yes, Toei and Bandai don't seem to be trying to take any inspiration from it. Even the large number of Riders hasn't been revisited yet, in spite of Drive, and now Ghost, having big drops in sales coming from Gaim. And now with Takebe on Amazons, I'm not even sure if she'll be the main producer of a new tv Rider. Although with Ghost dropping sales just like Drive, maybe this time they'll attempt something Gaim inspired. It's clear that the OOO/Fourze model doesn't work anymore.

oh shit. Didn't realize sakamoto is back doing... ghost? Hearing mostly negative stuff about that though. I assume the fights are cool?

The first Ghost episodes Sakamoto directed were 29-30. It's not like he has been a constant presence through the show.

BatDan

He only did two episodes, they were good episodes though with awesome fights.
The rest of the series, the fights are okay. I know some people are really against Sakamoto's wire-fu but honestly I think it makes the show more dynamic. More like actual superheroes.

SSJLuffy

As a kid I used to watch the original Power Rangers a lot, I remember loving that shit and for awhile now I've been wanting to check out some Super Sentai or just Tokatsu in general. What are some good series for a beginner to check out?

BatDan

As a kid I used to watch the original Power Rangers a lot, I remember loving that shit and for awhile now I've been wanting to check out some Super Sentai or just Tokatsu in general. What are some good series for a beginner to check out?

Start with the official releases from Shout Factory. Zyuranger, Dairanger and Kakuranger (with Ohranger coming in November).
Here's a list from the OP.

Super Sentai:
Chojin Sentai Jetman
Gekisou Sentai Carranger
Denji Sentai Megaranger
Mirai Sentai Timeranger
Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
Mahou Sentai Magiranger
Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger
Samurai Sentai Shinkenger
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger

Kamen Rider:
Kamen Rider Black
Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Agito
Kamen Rider Blade
Kamen Rider Kabuto
Kamen Rider Den-O
Kamen Rider W (Double)
Kamen Rider Fourze
Kamen Rider Gaim
Kamen Rider Drive

Depends on what you're into. Dinosaurs, technology, magic, space, animals, ninja, samurai, fruit, ghosts, whatever you like, there's usually a series themed around it. You should start with that as your first requirement of a series to watch.

Top Bottom