• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 16

Whoa, we're already at 1/3 of this. That was fast.

Funny episode. Using Tusk as a tracking dog again, heh. That chicken scene too. It was strange seeying Uncle be so... serious, on that flashback. Nice to have some backstory, tho.

Zyu TheWorld next!

Tiu Neo

That would be horrible since, well, there is no Amazon Prime here.

Unless it's on Crunchyroll too. Then... I'm ok with that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So it's gonna be subbed then? Also I wonder if this means no more OT subs.

Like GUIS, TV-Nihon and MFC, OT will respectfully remove their versions off their site.
They won't be gone forever of course as people will spread them around, but as long as there's an official release, there's no reason to keep them around.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think it's a legitimate fear that official subs will be of lesser quality than fansubs.

BatDan

I think it's a legitimate fear that official subs will be of lesser quality than fansubs.

Shout Factory's weirdly inconsistent Kakuranger subs didn't really help things.
I hope Amazon is a lot more professional about it though. Anyone have any series for reference?

WillyFive

So Amazons was the Power Rider.

As a kid I used to watch the original Power Rangers a lot, I remember loving that shit and for awhile now I've been wanting to check out some Super Sentai or just Tokatsu in general. What are some good series for a beginner to check out?

If you don't mind spoilers for past shows; you need to watch Gokaiger. That is the one show to rule them all for new people coming in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And Amazon Prime is really a more closed service than CR.

though I would love if either Amazons' final form is Prime or Primal

Pluto

As a kid I used to watch the original Power Rangers a lot, I remember loving that shit and for awhile now I've been wanting to check out some Super Sentai or just Tokatsu in general. What are some good series for a beginner to check out?
It really depends on what you like, I'd recommend for beginners:

Super Sentai
Gekiranger: serialized martial arts
Dekaranger: episodic police
Magiranger: serialized magic/sibling interactions
Megaranger: high school and technology (probably the closest to MMPR in style)

Kamen Rider
Kamen Rider W: Noir, detective stories
Kamen Rider Fourze : High School, Friendship, space
Kamen Rider Kiva: Vampires, tales place in two timeframes (1986 and 2008)

Bit I think you'd get better recommendations if you gave us a few hints.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So it's gonna be subbed then? Also I wonder if this means no more OT subs.

I hope not as while it's cool that we are getting Kamen Rider show in the west I don't have a prime account and really don't want one just for one show.

Do show on Amazon Prime get a DVD release? Because I don't mind buying that instead.

They are contracted to hit on Amazons, not human. It's flimsy but it's literally their only reason.

Plus the fact that the police would start asking question about the Amazons since the guy saw them.

They are contracted to hit on Amazons, not human. It's flimsy but it's literally their only reason.

Oh, I got the reason they tried to explain to me in the show.

Shit man. Put a goddamn bullet in that dude's head and call it a wash. They didn't even call the police!

It was just "Murderer. Welp!"

delSai

I've read here and there that Decade is supposed to be... not very good. Is that true? I planned on watching it soon but if you guys tell me its not that good i wont.

They didn't even call the police!

That was my biggest problem with the whole thing. I can understand not killing him but at least get him behind bars.

javadoze

I've read here and there that Decade is supposed to be... not very good. Is that true? I planned on watching it soon but if you guys tell me its not that good i wont.

That was my biggest problem with the whole thing. I can understand not killing him but at least get him behind bars.

As I understand it, the more rider shows you've watched, the worse it is. Before seeing it, I've only watched Neo-Heisei shows and I've come away with an opinion of "it's not that bad", but after seeing more Heisei Rider shows, I can easily see why fans don't take a shine to it.

Despite that, Tsukasa is a pretty fun protagonist and the world-jumping concept had me excited to see what was next. Just don't expect anything out of the main plot, though.

vareon

Story wise Decade has no direction or conclusion. If you're expecting a story buildup with a great payoff in the end, Decade has none of that. But the series itself is pretty enjoyable.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh, I got the reason they tried to explain to me in the show.

Shit man. Put a goddamn bullet in that dude's head and call it a wash. They didn't even call the police!

It was just "Murderer. Welp!"

If they killed him then they would no better than the murderer or the Amazon who fell to their beastly nature.

Plus if they called the Police they would start asking question and it wouldn't be long till someone asking about the Amazons, since the murderer knows about them so they probably thought it was best if they just leave it and let the guy get caught by himself.

NeonZ

If they killed him then they would no better than the murderer or the Amazon who fell to their beastly nature.

This is Kamen Rider though. When the main heroes of the franchise don't have a no kill police, it's just odd to come up with it later, especially in a series for an older audience. Kobayashi seems to love to throw that scenario and lesson in her shows, but it just clashes with the franchise's history. Rider 1 and 2 killed human members of Shocker right alongside the monsters (who are just humans modified with cybernetic and genetic engineering anyway).

http://webmshare.com/qDWYq

And even nowadays attempting to push that kind of message often just leads to inconsistencies, like OOO going out of his way to protect a corrupt politician from a Yummy in the tv show, and then just running over and blowing up Foundation X pilots in the Megamax movie.

http://webmshare.com/jjJNW

What? No. If you can kill an Amazon who kills, then you should be able to kill a human who does the same, otherwise you're getting into the whole "Are Amazons even counted as people" question, which Haruka seems to be struggling with. They've already set themselves up as judge, jury, and executioner for humans with slightly different genes. That's the point that the writer missed. The line is "Are they killing humans?" Pretty simple there.

It goes to the show's fundamental question: Why are you killing Amazons?

The team can wash it away to being mercenaries. They don't care. Jin has pretty much outed himself as somewhat crazy at this point, driven towards revenge above all else. But the lengths they go to keep a confirmed multiple murderer alive over the course of this episode is absurd.

Given that ending, what you're left with is a Kamen Rider show with no hero. It's like they aimed directly at Garo, without the "ancient intractable organization" behind it to wave away the rest.

Actually, that's what this is: a Garo plot roughly kludged over into Kamen Rider.

Plus if they called the Police they would start asking question and it wouldn't be long till someone asking about the Amazons, since the murderer knows about them so they probably thought it was best if they just leave it and let the guy get caught by himself.

I mean, there's nothing stopping him from saying anything about it now. It's a non-issue. If they're worried about him talking, that card is still in play. Best case scenario, he kills another person and maybe the police catch him. Worst case, he kills more people and spills the beans about Amazons, which he can do because he had cameras everywhere.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Not unless you get a lot of very vocal US based fans from Brazil and the Philippines just clamoring for a box set release of Changeman/Liveman/Maskman/Bioman.. then again maybe Saban could say "here's what COULD have been Power Rangers..." (yeah right)

We got Changeman and Flashman in DVD here on Brazil. No english subtitles, unfortunately.

... huh, I guess I never did post these here...

zm1xDcy.jpg

Changeman (1985), Flashman (1986), Juspion (1985), Jiraiya (1988), Jiban (1989).

I think that's all of them - I don't think Cybercops ever came out (Cybercops is Toho and these are all Toei)

Jiraiya was an interesting one, because they sourced the original (2 boxset) dvds from some shitty VHS tapes and it was terrible, with terrible subtitles. Then they re-released a better one with masters from Toei as a one boxset (and that's the one I bought and is pictured on the photo).

The changeman one just has the same box inside the metal case, with a small tshirt and some garbage throwaway merchandise. Most of them are still in shinkwrap because I already had better fansubs from Japanese DVD sources and I just downloaded the re-releases with Brazilian Portuguese audio anyway after they were released. I guess they also have some GARO rights in the country too.

There was a quick mention of all of these + Kamen Rider Black and RX coming to Brazilian Netflix at some point this year, but Kamen Rider has been dropped according to this two parter interview that the owner of the rights holder company gave in November and he mentions that were some rights issues with Kamen Rider, but he doesn't go in detail - sadly, there's no subtitles, so this is mostly only useful for Brazilians. It's also a very good interview about all the products they brought in the past to the TV Stations and currently, to Netflix.

Edit: sorry about the regional hijacking, but Sato Company did (and is still doing) for the Brazilian market basically what Shout Factory is doing for the US market when it comes to tokusatsu - more people should be aware of it.

Tiu Neo

... huh, I guess I never did post these here...

Changeman (1985), Flashman (1986), Juspion (1985), Jiraiya (1988), Jiban (1989).

I think that's all of them - I don't think Cybercops ever came out (Cybercops is Toho and these are all Toei)

Jiraiya was an interesting one, because they sourced the original (2 boxset) dvds from some shitty VHS tapes and it was terrible, with terrible subtitles. Then they re-released a better one with masters from Toei as a one boxset (and that's the one I bought and is pictured on the photo).

The changeman one just has the same box inside the metal case, with a small tshirt and some garbage throwaway merchandise. Most of them are still in shinkwrap because I already had better fansubs from Japanese DVD sources and I just downloaded the re-releases with Brazilian Portuguese audio anyway after they were released. I guess they also have some GARO rights in the country too.

There was a quick mention of all of these + Kamen Rider Black and RX coming to Brazilian Netflix at some point this year, but Kamen Rider has been dropped according to this two parter interview that the owner of the rights holder company gave in November and he mentions that were some rights issues with Kamen Rider, but he doesn't go in detail - sadly, there's no subtitles, so this is mostly only useful for Brazilians. It's also a very good interview about all the products they brought in the past to the TV Stations and currently, to Netflix.

Edit: sorry about the regional hijacking, but Sato Company did (and is still doing) for the Brazilian market basically what Shout Factory is doing for the US market when it comes to tokusatsu - more people should be aware of it.

Oh, you got the two-part boxsets. I got the single boxsets for each of those series, but my collection is pretty much the same.

Sad we never got the other less popular series (at least here) in DVD, like Winspector, Solbrain, Spielvan, Maskman, or even weirder things like Cybercops, Lionmaru, Machineman. :(

delSai

Done with Agito. Shouichi is my second favorite protagonist so far, G3-X was badass and i liked how all the characters interacted with each other and how they had to do with each other before knowing they were Agito and all that. It was interesting to see how the Rider Shows changed from beginning of the Heisei-Era, i know Kuuga was before Agito, to now with Ghost.

But the second opening was fucking awful.

As I understand it, the more rider shows you've watched, the worse it is. Before seeing it, I've only watched Neo-Heisei shows and I've come away with an opinion of "it's not that bad", but after seeing more Heisei Rider shows, I can easily see why fans don't take a shine to it.

Despite that, Tsukasa is a pretty fun protagonist and the world-jumping concept had me excited to see what was next. Just don't expect anything out of the main plot, though.
Story wise Decade has no direction or conclusion. If you're expecting a story buildup with a great payoff in the end, Decade has none of that. But the series itself is pretty enjoyable.

Hmm.. thanks guys. I think i will watch it now, it's only like 30 episodes so it shouldn't take too long.

Jeffrey

Wonder if they will do another decade like show in a few years. Decade was 2009.

Although it might be a bit harder to do now that every Rider kinda has older rider 'forms' in the movies.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 33

Aaaand... yep, it's the same "dies to get final form" plot. Even if he was already dead.

Both the death and the revival were kinda... eh, asspuley, but I think the memories and how they tried to cope with it were kinda cool. Liked Tridoron's debut more.

We didn't even get to see the form. D:

NeonZ

I dunno, it feels like your average music, at least Blade Brave was trying to hype itself up.

I think what hurts Elements is the opening video itself. If you hear both out of context, Elements clearly is a louder and more energetic song, but the weird opening video doesn't really line up with that at all.

vareon

That scene is fine with me.

What I really dislike is when they try to play music on top of the noises from the belts. Now that is infernal.

I remember Gaim's later episodes doesn't play the lock seed sound effects or they subtly faded it out lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think what hurts Elements is the opening video itself. If you hear both out of context, Elements clearly is a louder and more energetic song, but the weird opening video doesn't really line up with that at all.

Yeah that too. I liked the opening video of Blade Brave more.

BatDan

Ghost 33

We just had the "die and get the final power up" in Drive. Come on Toei, don't be this lazy.
We don't even get to see Mugen. By the way, another final form called "infinity"? I hope next season is a bit more original.
At least there's a way to defeat the Ganmeisers now.

Top Bottom