• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

I think it would be a bit better if the death was at the end of the episode before...
...just like they did with Tomari.

Or they could do something new, maybe.
If the protagonist HAS to die, make him die and pass his powers on to the secondary or something like that.

(Of course, they would never do something like that... on the normal series. Maybe on something like Amazons)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Elements would work far better as an Insert Song, like how it's used in Battride War when you use King Form rules.

I gotta agree Brave Blade is catchy as fuck.

Jeffrey

you know... the problem im having with Amazons atm is the monster suits are still 'kamen rider tv quality'.

So even though there is a darker theme and gore and dismemberment, its hard to take seriously the fights.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Amazons 09:

I think Amazons is starting to trip on some "morals" that they're trying to convey.

1) Jin will kill any Amazon experiment because he was partially responsible for their inception and testing and wants to stop the experiment at all costs
Ok, that makes sense. But what does that have to do with "protecting humans"? He said he would kill every single Amazon out there, including the ones that are helping him and not actually hurting humans (ie Mamoru, which is, for some reason, basically a child, and one would imagine Himself at the end of his mission). How is protecting humans (and not dealing with the killer from episode 8) related to that? I guess if you look at the broader scenario of "Amazons want to eat humans", Jin's actions do line up with "protecting humans", but that's just... a stretch.

2) Haruka wants to protect Amazons and Humans alike
Sure, that's what a hero does: They protect good people and hunt/kill bad people. However, he was super into the idea of killing the human killer on episode 8, but couldn't fathom killing the experiments that were literally killing people off the streets and eating them? Ok, they hadn't "awakened" yet, but they were committing crimes (one could say that the Chef was the one committing crimes, as he was the one doing the killing, but still....)

3) I won't even comment on the "death squad" not dealing with the human killer because there would be no reward for killing him. That was discussed enough in here.

I get the idea of "Jin/Alpha wants to save humans, Haruka/Omega wants to save Amazons" which will culminate in them fighting each other/eventually joining forces, but everything about these morals and different sides of the same coin was poorly introduced in the story and through their actions. Haruka I can understand, he's divided and figuring this shit out, but Jin's actions and "ideals" are just lame.

I don't quite remember, but does Jin have a bracelet? Mamoru does (and his will eventually "run out" as well) and Jin gave Haruka one as well, but I wonder if he has one. Also, I wonder if the belts could be given to any Amazon experiments and it would allow them to control their inner demons the same way.

Also, if that company can spend copious amounts of money in developing ways to kill the experiments/pay the cleaning squad, surely they can come up with a non-human source for the human proteins, right? Or, at least, put some sort of advertisement out that will bring the experiments back in and give them new bracelets? I don't think that killing all of them is the best course of action in this case (yeah yeah, evil corporation, I know...)

Something else I noticed is that one "vermin" lady looked super familiar and I thought she looked like the actress that played Usagi in Pretty Guarian Sailor Moon:

1MXE9oj.png
GXaVVRJ.jpg

After doing some research:

http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Miyuu_Sawai said:
Miyuu Sawai (沢井 美優 Sawai Miyū) portrayed Erika Mitsuki in Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010, Aya Yamamoto in Kamen Rider Wizard, and Mika in episode 9 of Kamen Rider Amazons.

http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Usagi_Tsukino_(PGSM) said:
Usagi Tsukino (PGSM)
Actors: Miyuu Sawai

Hey, I was right!

Jin was the guy who invented the Amazons program, and is obviously disgusted by it and wants to kill off all Amazons to stop them harming humanity. Maybe he's a bit torn up inside over the whole being-a-monster thing too, though he isn't showing it, but his tough guy exterior might be hiding that for now.

How is that somehow confusing? I don't see how Jin is tripping at all. He's very clear in his character.

Haruka isn't really troublesome either. He didn't see the restaurant diners actually commit crimes, its quite obvious that they're looking for a way out, to be repentant. There was nothing fearsome, suspicious or scary about them in that dining room. They don't even transform when it becomes apparent that they might die, instead they act scared, cowering. However, the chef is very obviously commandeering, a danger, someone who is beginning to embrace the dangerous side of being an Amazon, and that's why Haruka has no issue killing him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Amazons 9

Cannibal restaurants always freak me out.
The big rainy day is either going to be the penultimate episode or the finale. But I feel something will prevent numerous causalities since we know there's going to be a Season 2 now.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Jin was the guy who invented the Amazons program, and is obviously disgusted by it and wants to kill off all Amazons to stop them harming humanity. Maybe he's a bit torn up inside over the whole being-a-monster thing too, though he isn't showing it, but his tough guy exterior might be hiding that for now.

How is that somehow confusing? I don't see how Jin is tripping at all. He's very clear in his character.

"I will protect humans by letting one that's a serial killer live so he can kill more humans."

I get that maybe he's seeing himself as not human anymore and don't want to meddle with the human affairs, but then don't say you're protecting humans.

Haruka isn't really troublesome either. He didn't see the restaurant diners actually commit crimes, its quite obvious that they're looking for a way out, to be repentant. There was nothing fearsome, suspicious or scary about them in that dining room. They don't even transform when it becomes apparent that they might die, instead they act scared, cowering. However, the chef is very obviously commandeering, a danger, someone who is beginning to embrace the dangerous side of being an Amazon, and that's why Haruka has no issue killing him.

I guess that falls into the "the person buying the stolen merchandise is also responsible for the theft", which falls into the "maybe killing all of them is not the right answer" that I also talked about after. Haruka is not that wrong there.

"I will protect humans by letting one that's a serial killer live so he can kill more humans."

I get that maybe he's seeing himself as not human anymore and don't want to meddle with the human affairs, but then don't say you're protecting humans.

It could just be a translation gap, but so far I see it as him protecting humans from Amazons, and he doesn't give a shit about human vs human affairs. He'll only protect humans from Amazons, and he hasn't contradicted that so far.

delSai

AAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAZOOOOOOOOOOONs 9

The scene where Mamoru tried to teach Nozomi how to smile was really good, especially with the laughter of the crew right after it. One of the more positive and nice scenes lol. Thank god Mamoru is part of the Squad, his scenes are appreciated between all the killing.
Restaurant was pretty creepy.

But man, it looked like shit when the camera zoomed in on Sigma when he first showed up in the last scene. Bad camerawork there. Like a drunk guy using a drone or something.

Tiu Neo

Amazons 09

Hmmm, salisbury steak. (yeah, that part was creepy). Kinda feel bad for the patrons, even if they were cannibals. The conflict in this is interesting, even if it could be solved with other solutions, as others said before.

This episode's monster fight was totally classic Amazon, heh.

Next episode, KAMEN RIDER FIGHT. And more conflict, of course.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You know I would care more about Takeru dying had they not already used that plot twice in the show run.

Plus the plot really seems to be going no-where despite teasing that it is and the supporting cast is the show only saving grace.

Jeffrey

watched up to eps 6 of amazons and just realized how little CG is used compare to modern toku. Could be a budget thing? Enjoying that aspect, was worried for a second when dude got on his bike.

vareon

watched up to eps 6 of amazons and just realized how little CG is used compare to modern toku. Could be a budget thing? Enjoying that aspect, was worried for a second when dude got on his bike.

No need to show flashy effects when kids aren't watching and you're not pushing new gadgets that much.

The CGI blood is a bit eh though. Imagine if Keita Amemiya is designing the monsters and suits instead.
the last boss will be a pair of boobs

Nothing to CG really. No giant monsters, very few effects needed for the Amazons themselves, outside of the change. Transitions and blood.

No need to show flashy effects when kids aren't watching and you're not pushing new gadgets that much.

The CGI blood is a bit eh though. Imagine if Keita Amemiya is designing the monsters and suits instead.

With a noh mask attached

Sandfox

Isn't that the point of Toku?

BossRush

I don't mind Haruka's issues with killing the patrons because more than anything he himself is still struggling with his humanity or lack there-of. No matter what he says about protecting this or that it's blatanly clear that at the end of the day he's still terrified of what will happen when he turns.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
finally caught up with amazons, and im glad to see my boy from kabuto and gaim in some episodes. not feeling sigmas design though

Tiu Neo

Finished Maskman.

It's kind of a big evolution from Changeman and Flashman, and it was ahead of its time on a few points, but... The characters and story were good, but the main hero cast wasn't as memorable as the casts of the two previous series. In that point, it's closer to Liveman. Actually, in a lot of its new points it's closer to Liveman.

The story focus is mostly on the villains, which are a bit more complex than the ones from the previous series, imo. There is a lot of focus on Takeru, with one of the main conflicts in this being him trying to recover his loved one from Tube. Akira also has an pretty interesting arc were it's revealed that he's actually from the underground. For some reason, that's the part of the series that I remember watching from 20 years ago.

The suits and music are awesome. With Changeman and Flashman before, and Liveman after it, that's a pretty impressive sequence of four good series.

Next... still don't know. Maybe Bioman, so I can check if it was a five in a row combo. Or maybe Goseiger, one of the few recent ones I still haven't watched.

Jeffrey

Watching Jin fight just makes me want to rewatch Kabuto. So much kabuto vibes in his fighting style.

They do seem to seem to explain in detail what amazons are, but never bothered explaining why everyone is a martial arts master lol.

oh, shitty cg in eps 9. phew.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I never knew this was a thing:

Kamen Rider Black: Taiketsu Shadow Moon is a game for the Famicon Disk System. It was released in the same year as the series had it's debut in Japan.

The game itself is... terrible. If you ever played any of the western versions of the Hokuto no Ken games for the Sega systems (Black Belt on the Master System or Last Battle on the Genesis) you know how this game plays: There's a smaller version of your character that runs through linear stages dodging and fighting enemies, while at the end you fight the boss. The boss battle is a different screen and both sprites are bigger. This even has the mid stage bosses, which you fight in a the same "smaller" sprite version.

The problem is that the game has ATROCIOUS controls. As a Famicon game, it only has two buttons: Attack and jump. However, everything is sluggish and unresponsive, while the enemies are fast and hard to hit. Turning around to attack behind you is almost impossible. The attack button just punches, there's nothing special about it. The jump button, however, doubles as a roll/dodge button as well. If you just tap it, you jump. If you hold it, you jump REALLY HIGH. If you tap it hold a direction, you dodge in that direction. The best part of everything: UP on the dpad is kick.

There is one very interesting thing: If you hold the jump button, you jump high. If at the apex of the jump you press right or left, you can do a "double jump" of sorts that propels you in that direction. If you happen to dodge forward while in the air, you can press either the punch of the kick button to do a Rider Punch or a Rider Kick move, at any given time. Those attacks do the equivalent of twice the damage of a regular punch or kick. The problem is that you can stun lock most mid-bosses and level bosses by just kicking and punching them, which makes the cubersome Rider Punches and Kicks useless - there's no nifty animation of finishing with them either.

The second stage, instead of walking forward and punching and kicking (and mostly getting hit by an assorted number of enemy tigers and... birds), you're actually driving the Battle Hopper, which... just makes things even worse. You get hit by enemies even more constantly and if you don't dodge the obstacles, you can fall off your bike, which does considerable damage to you (usually you just lose one health bar when you get hit).

At that point I stopped playing, because the game controls quite bad. But I thought the intro was pretty good, and I might as well type this instead of just posting a picture.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuogher 17

So, how would I rate the Zyuohgers efforts against the Sixth Ranger? Absolutely MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA!
The stuff with the cards was kind of weak, but then The World showed up and that was some next level ass beating. I am so looking forward to more of him, and his eventual turn to good. Next week looks awesome too.
All with a fishing rod.

Jaeger

Just watched the first episode of Amazons. This show is GOOD. I shouldn't have put it off for so long. Glad I was able to finally watch it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Zyuogher 17

So, how would I rate the Zyuohgers efforts against the Sixth Ranger? Absolutely MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA!
The stuff with the cards was kind of weak, but then The World showed up and that was some next level ass beating. I am so looking forward to more of him, and his eventual turn to good. Next week looks awesome too.
All with a fishing rod.

I haven't seen the episode, but the fishing rod sold me.

Just watched the first episode of Amazons. This show is GOOD. I shouldn't have put it off for so long. Glad I was able to finally watch it.

I'm jamming with it. Half-tackling moral questions in the last two episodes is making me think it's an Inoue show though.

vareon

I'm not feeling The World's fighting style. His costume and voice's great but his movements felt...awkward? Then again he didn't have much change in hand to hand combat this episode and went straight to the gadget with the cheapest choreography.

Dat voice, though. It feels like Bakugou transferred from My Hero Academia to Zyuohger.

ReiGun

I'm not feeling The World's fighting style. His costume and voice's great but his movements felt...awkward? Then again he didn't have much change in hand to hand combat this episode and went straight to the gadget with the cheapest choreography.

Dat voice, though. It feels like Bakugou transferred from My Hero Academia to Zyuohger.

I couldn't look past the fact that his weapon is a fishing rod. Like, I know it's toku and corny stuff like that is what I signed up for, but....a fishing rod. That clashes with his color scheme.

WillyFive

I couldn't look past the fact that his weapon is a fishing rod. Like, I know it's toku and corny stuff like that is what I signed up for, but....a fishing rod. That clashes with his color scheme.

That fishing rod is the coolest weapon of the team. He wrecked them, and it's not like the Zyogers didn't put up a fight.

Top Bottom