• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Jaeger

Amazons ending was so good. Gave me the feels. The team trying to win Mamo back. The fight between Omega and Alpha was intense for all the right reasons. Haruka is now protecting his own flock. Crazy.

I really need to get that Alpha suit.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Amazons 13 (season 1 finale)

Decent finale. The final fight with Haruka and Jin was glorious.
Essentially Haruka is a true hybrid. Hence his major differences from the others.

Amazons was alright overall. Had some hiccups (pacing issues, that murderer subplot that I hope gets revisited in Season 2, the Extermination team honestly lacked character) but otherwise it was fun. I hope it gets on Amazon Prime soon.

RangerBAD

Amazons is the dark Kamen Rider I've been wanting them to return to. When the show ran at 1 in the morning. So I thought it was pretty good and refreshing. Even its length is fine. (I'll never forgive Decade for fucking up the new show schedule!)

vareon

Amazons to me was on par with, if not better than the first Garo. Garo had better fights due to its fantasy-based powers, but Amazons had less padding and filler. Amazons is also very self-contained while Garo feels like a small part of a way bigger world.

Honestly I'm really happy it exists. I'm hoping for more similar experiments, and I actually hoped they took another Rider to experiment with, but hey I'm glad we have Amazons S2.

Now then, Black is approaching its 20th anniversary.....

Tiu Neo

Eh, save for the ending (that I thought was a bit lacking, but eh, cliffhangers are needed for Season 2 I guess?), I liked Amazons. Hard to compare to "normal" Riders, but as a series I liked it more than I'm liking Ghost.

Amazons to me was on par with, if not better than the first Garo. Garo had better fights due to its fantasy-based powers, but Amazons had less padding and filler. Amazons is also very self-contained while Garo feels like a small part of a way bigger world.

Honestly I'm really happy it exists. I'm hoping for more similar experiments, and I actually hoped they took another Rider to experiment with, but hey I'm glad we have Amazons S2.

Now then, Black is approaching its 20th anniversary.....

Hm, Garo is similar to Amazons? Maybe I should give it a chance.

And YES. I said it before, Black is a great fit for an Amazons-style series. It doesn't even need to change the plot completely as Amazons did compared to the original series, Black's base story is already perfect for a series with that tone.

vareon

Eh, save for the ending (that I thought was a bit lacking, but eh, cliffhangers are needed for Season 2 I guess?), I liked Amazons. Hard to compare to "normal" Riders, but as a series I liked it more than I'm liking Ghost.

Hm, Garo is similar to Amazons? Maybe I should give it a chance.

And YES. I said it before, Black is a great fit for an Amazons-style series. It doesn't even need to change the plot completely as Amazons did compared to the original series, Black's base story is already perfect for a series with that tone.

Similar only in a sense that they're the only tokusatsu for adults nowadays. Garo is much more focused on action (a whole lot of out of costume battles) and CGI battles which doesn't look terrible because most battles took place in nighttime. Garo is also much more episodic than Amazons. But it's a really recommended watch.

As for Black getting Amazons treatment...well on paper it's a good idea, but I'm not sure if any team can pull it off.

Jeffrey

The main issue I have with garo is that unlike other toku, it's for better or worse the same stuff every season outside of the overlaying arc.

And its not like they ever get any real 'power ups' or anything to keep things fresh.

delSai

Thats it for Amazons S1, what a ride it's been.

I'm pretty happy with how it ended, had some nice moments like the team getting back together and seeing what they were doing after all this shit. The Alpha vs Omega fight at the end was pretty sick.

But overall Amazons was great, had amazing action scenes like the fight in the building full of Amazon, tense moments like the one with the Killer on the Junkyard (they need to go back to this in S2) and so on.

You at least watched the special version of 31 rather than the original, right? The original doesn't even lead up to Movie Wars 2010 proper due to all production changes.

Aye, it led right into the movie.
The whole idea of Decade is really good, too bad the execution wasn't. Oh well.

Tiu Neo

As for Black getting Amazons treatment...well on paper it's a good idea, but I'm not sure if any team can pull it off.

Yeah, true. But, well, at least the source material is already a better fit for that kind of series than the original Amazon, imo.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Amazons S1 had a great buildup for the finale in the past 2 episodes, but then.. nothing happens.

It's like they made a series, got picked up for a new season midway through and went "oh fuck... well... I guess let's kill all the resolving plotlines"

Like, for instance: The last fight is a nice mirror image of the first fight, they obviously did the Haruka vs Jin fight that's been promised for a long time... However.... it accomplished nothing? They just stopped fighting, said "well, see ya later" and walked away? There were a lot of Amazons on that beach, some even transformed (but not awakened), I bet they could have killed a Jin that fucked up... but nah.

I know that most Amazons were similar for budget reasons, but is there any explanation (other than implicit) that there's multiples of the same type of amazon? That bat-dude showed up at least 3 times, there's the generic "there's hundreds of them!" type E or whatever... I guess Jin and Haruka are really unique, as Jin made himself and Haruka is a new hybrid type, while the others were more batches of experiments.

People in here are talking about how Mamoru is wearing the gold bracelet and that gave him control, but he's not - he is shown wearing the silver bracelet multiple times. The Gold Bracelet is left at the beach at the end in a lingering shot, but... Haruka's Sister (forgot her name) never gave it to him... Also, that would just slow down the lust for human protein/give him some sort of protection against the fumigation system, from what I gathered., not resolve it entirely.

Also, while I understand that all Amazons are trying to figure out a way to live not eating people, I guess Haruka is still killing awakened Orphonocs Amazons, as he killed all the ones attacking the team. The one Jin was carrying around was awakened (red flashing bracelet), so why was that a problem? I would rather it was a blue flashing one.

I feel like we should have a side story (3-4 episodes) of Haruka and Mamoru "saving" Amazons that happens throughout let's say 3-6 months in-story time, dealing with escaped ones, fleeing from an injured Jin, with near to no appearances of the other cast. That would make the reunion of the team much more meaningful, would explain Haruka getting more mature, maybe getting his scars from awakened Amazons, Jin going crazy from eating Amazons (since his lady friend is nowhere to be seen), things like that. I know it doesn't fit in a 13 episode run, but it would be a nice arch.

Since we didn't have any filler episodes, I'm still very satisfied with what I saw. I'm glad it has a new season, even though I rather they made a new story and actually had a ending to this one (like, let's say, Haruka and Jin kill each other). Good that we have a more mature Tokusatsu show to watch.

As I understood it, Haruka is all about saving untransformed Amazons and saving humans, but not killing Amazons unless they do something. This idea is fucking stupid if you look at it from a human perspective, but Haruka isn't human. The bugboyz are, and so that's why we see him lead them away.

I think Amazons can get over their impulses, because there was a group with Haruka that didn't seem to be feral.

I still think Jin is right in this, even though his actions are far worse and more selfish. But it's good to have a lead that isn't morally correct in the fullest sense.

Mamoru is with a bunch of Amazons, Haruka is leading a resistance, there's a new type that could survive the smoking, and Jin is batshit insane (even eating Amazons now). It's a good setup for the next season, so I'm glad they didn't just kill'em off outright.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gatack Zecter really let itself go

VkDqQW3.png

As I understood it, Haruka is all about saving untransformed Amazons and saving humans, but not killing Amazons unless they do something. This idea is fucking stupid if you look at it from a human perspective, but Haruka isn't human. The bugboyz are, and so that's why we see him lead them away.

I think Amazons can get over their impulses, because there was a group with Haruka that didn't seem to be feral.

I still think Jin is right in this, even though his actions are far worse and more selfish. But it's good to have a lead that isn't morally correct in the fullest sense.

Mamoru is with a bunch of Amazons, Haruka is leading a resistance, there's a new type that could survive the smoking, and Jin is batshit insane (even eating Amazons now). It's a good setup for the next season, so I'm glad they didn't just kill'em off outright.

I somewhat could see Jin's side until the episode with the human murderer. That was nonsense all around.

Jeffrey

I just watch the 12th episode of Garo Makai Retsuden and holy shit I didn't see that coming.

yeah... the cg was bad but I didn't expect this one eps to answer quite a few of the big questions of this show.

Always thought it was a single timeline, but apparently its a Garo multiverse?

Tiu Neo

Finished Goseiger.

A lot of people seem to not like it, and I kinda understand, since it's between two better series. But I didn't think it was bad, actually. It had some cool ideas, the characters were ok, the plot was... well, it did some cool new things, but some of it backfired imo. It reminded me a bit of ToQger, but it did some things better.

I don't like their suits, and their robot and their power ups were kind of a mess. Eh, I think both Shinkenger and Gokaiger also had the same problem with the robot formations, imo.

While the whole villain plot was interesting, the fact that there were four "factions" with one attacking each time made the villains look less menacing, even if the series had Shinkenger level destruction a few times. The enemies were just gone too fast. Rarely any of the factions represented a true menace, and a few episodes later they would be already defeated. Still a good idea, but I think having all the three factions attacking at the same time, like Boukenger, would be better. Later, the villain could reveal himself, like he did in the series.

In the end, it was an enjoyable series, even if it's not one of the best.

Only 14 series to go now!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 37

"Better late than never" edition.

Javert where the hell have you been? Face-turn soon? I'm thinking redemptive death.
Adel "fusing" with the Ganmeisers sounds like their way of making Mugen not seem invincible. Especially when Takeru goes full "Souji Tendou" when he fights.
Something something idols. Wait, that was Koyomi? Wow, she's a lot different when she's actually told to act.
Makoto is out of commission again?! This is like the fourth time. I think Spectre might be the most shafted secondary.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah that's Koyomi. And really a huge difference from her Wizard appearance.

And yeah poor Specter. How many times is he gonna fall and how many times are they pulling the evil Specter shit?

Tiu Neo

Ghost 37

Being an idol is hard! You need an training montage to succeed! (And then even Onari can become one!) Also, another for Alain! And PRODUCT PLACEMENT!

You know, Onari really deserves his own series. Him and Alain are what saves this series. I like the fact Akari has her own nemesis, too.

Oh, and it's official, Necrom is the secondary Rider for this series. Specter is just a Sasword kind of thing, shows up a few episodes, and then dissapears for other few episodes.

delSai

Tendous introduction in Kabuto has to be the most badass thing ever.
And Sasword looks like shit before cast off. Like really dumb lol

Ghost 37

You know, Onari really deserves his own series. Him and Alain are what saves this series.

I agree with both things. I dunno if the actor that plays Onari had a career before Ghost, but i sure as hell hope he stays in showbiz and works as a comedy actor. Dude is the best.
Alain had the best moments in Ghost and i dont think that will change in the last few episodes.

That being said... the fights in 37, with the exception of Ghosts fight at the end were alright. Cant believe that Specter is out again. Like what the hell, dude's on for 4 episodes and then he is out again. He has to be among the weakest secondary riders.
I hope Javert gets his moment, even if it's just one heroic move. He's badass.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really like Akari too, she and Onari work well together like with the recent idol episode.

NeonZ

Apparently, the Marvel copyright in the new movie (and likely in this game too) are due to the use of the term "Superhero".

WillyFive

Apparently, the Marvel copyright in the new movie (and likely in this game too) are due to the use of the term "Superhero".

But DC and Marvel both co-own the term superhero, so why isn't DC's trademark there?

I think the Marvel copyright is simply because Sun Vulcan is there.

NeonZ

But DC and Marvel both co-own the term superhero, so why isn't DC's trademark there?

I think the Marvel copyright is simply because Sun Vulcan is there.

Maybe Marvel was the only one that copyrighted it in Japan? There's no Sun Vulcan in the Zyuohger movie.

WillyFive

Maybe Marvel was the only one that copyrighted it in Japan? There's no Sun Vulcan in the Zyuohger movie.

But Sun Vulcan is in the new game quoted above though. And if even the logo for any of the Marvel Sentai shows (Battle Fever, Denziman, and Sun Vulcan) is in the movie at any point (which would be expected, considering it's the 40th anniversary), Marvel will get credit.

But Sun Vulcan is in the new game quoted above though. And if even the logo for any of the Marvel Sentai shows (Battle Fever, Denziman, and Sun Vulcan) is in the movie at any point (which would be expected, considering it's the 40th anniversary), Marvel will get credit.

I saw this a couple of times in the past.

Top Bottom