• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

NeonZ

But Sun Vulcan is in the new game quoted above though. And if even the logo for any of the Marvel Sentai shows (Battle Fever, Denziman, and Sun Vulcan) is in the movie at any point (which would be expected, considering it's the 40th anniversary), Marvel will get credit.

I'm not sure from where this comes from. Marvel didn't get any credit in Gokaiger related material which often featured those shows.

Slayven

The way Gaim ended still bothers me. They started out as kids wanting to be free, and ended up trapped in roles they should have never had to play.

It is so damn depressing.

NeonZ

The way Gaim ended still bothers me. They started out as kids wanting to be free, and ended up trapped in roles they should have never had to play.

Watch Gaim x Drive, it gives a more positive spin on Gaim's ending. And then watch Kamen Rider Knuckle to see everything going wrong again. I hope we get more Gaim characters in future crossovers now that the Gaiden seem to have ended.

javadoze

It kinda annoyed me how, in the last couple of episodes, Mai asks Kouta to consider what he wants to do with his future. Seeing how throughout the show
he pretty much follows DJ Sagara's whims
, seeing this finally brought up was interesting.

...Then flash-forward to the ending and...
he continues to perpetuate the Helheim cycle and becomes a SpaceGod (albeit on a barren planet, so there's that).
But it still bugs me that they completely sidestepped that with an ending that makes it a bit more jarring.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought it's only BF

EDIT: anyway

Zoo-oh-joy 20

THIS IS SO PERFECT OMG

Cmf-xb9VUAAXRwX.jpg

Like Akira he has personality quirks and this time he's a socially awkward, mentally unstable guy who has imaginary friends and is always guilty. And a nice reflection from the evil sixth too!

No ep next week because Deathgolfiens.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 20

Misao is crazy awkward, and hilarious. I look forward to seeing more of him.
I want those plushies.

Tiu Neo

Started Ohranger. I'm having Zyuranger flashbacks. It's like a cross between older, better sentai with military themes, and Zyuranger's Kid of the Week bullshit.

Please, tell me it gets better. (If it doesn't, eh, I'll watch it as fast as I can just to say I watched it).

At least it's cool to see the Zeo monsters/villains, at their original context, I guess.

Zyuohger 20

Didn't expect TheWorld to take this turn, but I like it. He has Akira's weirdness on steroids. Hope he keeps being like this.

This episode made me wonder if the team will get some kind of power up too. I mean, they also have moveable faceplates, don't they? But it would be weird for them to receive the power from other animals, I guess.

Sandfox

Gaim was interesting to follow week to week in order to see how it ended, but it wasn't a good series.

NeonZ

Gaim was interesting to follow week to week in order to see how it ended, but it wasn't a good series.

It had some problems, but I think it's the best executed "multi-Rider" show . Obviously many were less important than others, but they didn't just disappear from the series like in Kabuto, and it managed to involve them all from beginning to the ending, rather than sectioning every minor Rider in self contained arcs like Ryuki did.

NeonZ

It was cool to see how Kouta found his resolve each week
That didn't bother me since the conflict was different each time, rather than recycling the same stuff.

The first one was when Kouta thought that it was all just a game, but then confronted Zangetsu. The second one happened when Kouta learned that Yuuya was dead and he had turned into a monster that had been killed by him.

The third one was about Kouta hesitating to fight against someone who he considered a close friend until a few moments before. Although this one was probably the weakest. The final one wasn't even a true lack of resolve. He was thrown into a dream world by Reddue, faced with the fact that he'd become a monster, but he managed to overcome it by himself after a while. I didn't even realize that people counted this one as another "lost his resolve" episode before reading complaints about it.

Tiu Neo

I can see how GAIM can be considered a better show, if you watched it week by week back when it aired. It had some really strong points, and the plot was intriguing.

But, watching it back to back, some of the show's weaknesses (in special with Kouta and Mai) became clearer. Dunno, parts of the plot could be done better, too, imo. Some times, it felt like Kouta was given everything without really deserving it (I remember that was even one plot point!).

It Still a good show, but I like quite a few other Riders better.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wish they had keep Za World's personality bold and brash. His 3 imajins could be fun, but I doubt we see them again.

For second I was confused as I thought you were talking about Den-O before I realised you were talking about Zyuohger...Den-O was an awesome show.

WillyFive

For second I was confused as I thought you were talking about Den-O before I realised you were talking about Zyuohger...Den-O was an awesome show.

Den-O was great, especially how they kept almost the entirety of the show going without any villains (the added one at the last minute for the last few episodes, apparently because someone higher up noticed that they had no one to fight for a final battle).

shaowebb

Thats how life is though. Some get swept up in the tide. Others fight to rise to roles that others need them to take on just for the sake of saving the ones they love hardship.

Whether its a fight, or a career, or a marriage and being a parent this is what life is. This is why I liked Gaim's ending. It didn't paint life as simple as if it will ever go the way you hope. It showed it for something you have to rise up to meet the challenge of. Folks need more stories like that where the cast represent all the various ways people may rise to or fail to rise to the same challenges that are unavoidable. When you tell stories like this each character's way of handling the same crisis becomes a voice for each type of viewer tuning in and how they'd relate to the situation personally.

Boss Doggie

well The World's "delusional zyumen" are sorta like Imagin

also as for the zyuman nation motifs, is this right?

Kaixa - American
Leo - Jamaican
Sela - Indonesian?
Amu - I'm guessing a European country
Rhino - African
Crocodile - Egyptian
Wolf - Russian
Larry - ???

Kaixa - American
Leo - Jamaican
Sela - Indonesian?
Rhino - African
Crocodile - Egyptian
Wolf - Russian
Larry - ???

Maybe. I might need to think about this a little more.

Slayven

Kaixa - American
Leo - Jamaican
Sela - Indonesian?
Rhino - African
Crocodile - Egyptian
Wolf - Russian
Larry - ???

Amu is Russian/Eastern European

Tiu Neo

Ghost 38

This season solution for "final power up is too powerful": Takeru feels bad for the other power ups and insists to use them. Well, that's a solution? At least for this episode.

Adel getting an ultimate form already... I wonder if he's the final enemy.

Onari, as always, is the best part of the episode.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 38

Sooo I guess the old powers are stronger now. It's like the writers realized they made Mugen too powerful so they had to do this plot line to not have Takeru clown on everyone.
At least the action was good. Dat Sakamoto.
Weird that Javert has been reduced to comic relief. At least all his jobbing has come back as an actual plot point, that's kind of neat.

Next week though
Alia Rider!

Boss Doggie

like I said, you can make a Clarity Sentai Nekromger if you combine Alain, Alia and the three movie Nekroms

Gutss

Just recently aware that a new Ultraman is coming btw ultraman is my childhood past time lol(the original ultraman back to back with the magma man), whats best new ultra show to watch to prepair for this? im rewatching Ultraman tiga and the nostalgia is still there really love tiga.

WarRock

'sup tokuGAF! I'm (finally) catching up with Zyuohger before tackling Amazons and Ghost. Oh, and there's Chaser movie too. Looks like Amazons ending is as lackluster as the new Voltron ending?

- Uncle is better than the Ninnin parents ever were while doing way less. How.
- The World's stunt actor is amazing, as is his fishing rod. May be the hypest debut in recent years, but not a lot of competition besides Mach. His portrayal as a big threat to the team was really well done. What I don't like about him is how the animal illustrations on the suit use 2-3 shades of color each. Go with a single color for each third pls.
- Mech battles are starting to feel like filler, but still are concise and fun, not tackled on the episodes mindlessly. And the Zyuohgers straight up killed a bunch of civilians with Cube Bear during episode 19, exploding a bunch of cars lined up in the street.
- Yamato still is a cool Red.
- WTF at Cube Panda being a literal foil version of Cube Bear that comes out of nowhere?

About Ex-Aid - finally a videogame Rider! Hoping for lots of arcade references. Also hoping for him not having guns (or bows, that seems to a trend now) ._.

It kinda annoyed me how, in the last couple of episodes, Mai asks Kouta to consider what he wants to do with his future. Seeing how throughout the show
he pretty much follows DJ Sagara's whims
, seeing this finally brought up was interesting.

...Then flash-forward to the ending and...
he continues to perpetuate the Helheim cycle and becomes a SpaceGod (albeit on a barren planet, so there's that).
But it still bugs me that they completely sidestepped that with an ending that makes it a bit more jarring.
In hindsight, Kouta is one of the worst Rider protagonists ever. I like how he started as a kinda blank state, innocent young guy with good intentions in a shitty situation, but he quickly starts to just go with the flow, barely taking any decisions. Felt more like he did whatever the plot felt like he had to do than what the character would do. I actually fear rewatching Gaim and noticing that is not a good show if not watched in a weekly basis, with time to forget about some stuff, speculate about what's going to happen, get surprised with the twists, etc.

delSai

Maybe i should watch Blade next.

About Ex-Aid - finally a videogame Rider! Hoping for lots of arcade references. Also hoping for him not having guns (or bows, that seems to a trend now) ._.

I just hope that with the new series being videogame themed Bandai brings back Climax Heroes.
And of course that it's better than Ghost. Ghost doesn't have all that many great moments unfortunately.

NeonZ

In hindsight, Kouta is one of the worst Rider protagonists ever. I like how he started as a kinda blank state, innocent young guy with good intentions in a shitty situation, but he quickly starts to just go with the flow, barely taking any decisions. Felt more like he did whatever the plot felt like he had to do than what the character would do. I actually fear rewatching Gaim and noticing that is not a good show if not watched in a weekly basis, with time to forget about some stuff, speculate about what's going to happen, get surprised with the twists, etc.

Kouta's issue during most of the show is that, aside from the times where he just wanted to give up, the narrative always portrays his actions and judgment as the one correct path. I don't think that's too bad, considering how one could say the same about a protagonist like Shotaro and Eiji, but when there are various characters around him acting, and sometimes failing, based on their own weakness and strengths, Kouta's blandness stands out more. His character was so fixated to a point that I remember some people being really angry that Kouta tries to take Mai out of Zawame City during the Toqger crossover, acting like it was completely out of character, even through he regrets it immediately afterwards. At that point, even a large part of the viewers seemed to see "always making perfect moral choices" as part of Kouta's character.

And then there's the ending, where somehow, for once, Urobuchi decides to portray his questionable gray entity in a positive light, rather than going his usual path where the protagonist counters them somehow, at least partially, which just makes Kouta look like Sagara's plaything. And it's not done to cast Kouta on a gray light either, the whole thing is just kind of odd, since the narrative seems to expect the viewer to see it as a 100% good ending, with Kouta having "cheated" the system by not remaking Earth, even though he did nothing to save other planets.

Tiu Neo

Orb 1

Hmmm, watched the first episode of Ultraman Orb. Last Ultraman I watched was... 20 years ago? I think it was Tiga. Don't really remember anything about it.

I like how they use practical effects for almost everything. Some things look kinda cheap, but it gives the series some charm.

I think I'll keep watching, at least for now. The first episode was fun, at least.

Not sure if it was a good choice to start with this "Decade-like" series, but eh. Let's see.

Top Bottom