• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

NeonZ

It's a multi Rider show so I can't see the supporting cast being that good, considering how there'll be many Riders running around from the first few episodes who'll need attention.

WarRock

Bike-Rider bow is actually a par of kama. Nice. Genm's apparently a bugged/corrupt form of Ex-Aid, what gives me Battle Network/StarForce vibes and that is very nice (right, Fourze?).

The robots hugging the Riders for power ups are so stupid I love them already. Heck, the bike is an pedal bike with a robot all over it.

There is so much stuff I want for Ex-Aid right now. Arino and Segata cameos, combo lingo jingles (cool! excellent!)...

delSai

I absolutely love Sasword. He shows up, does some dumb shit and then he's just gone again. Best Kabuto character.

KaGAAmi

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Five Riders from the start? So this is the proper video game Sentai.

Despite the designs, the concept does sound badass.

javadoze

If Ex-Aid is another Rider vs Rider series, then I hope Sakamoto's directing. The recent Ghost episodes had some great fights.

I absolutely love Sasword. He shows up, does some dumb shit and then he's just gone again. Best Kabuto character.

KaGAAmi

Though Kabuto's plot goes to shit, Tsurugi never stops being the best Rider.

vareon

I suspect this year we'll get the usual Tokusatsu writer instead of someone from another industry. The dorama writer did nothing to help Ghost and he kinda disappeared halfway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope the supporting cast is good. We are due for anothe Fourze level one

Drive was just a year ago...the Chief was better than the entire Fourze cast combined.

I suspect this year we'll get the usual Tokusatsu writer instead of someone from another industry. The dorama writer did nothing to help Ghost and he kinda disappeared halfway.

Love to see a famous game writer though---like someone who does a lot of visual novel work.

blackish.gif

I'm guessing Ohmori's the producer this time around (seeing how Amazons S2 probably has Takebe's attention and Utsunomiya is busy with Zyuohger).

The writer is a bigger question mark since Kobayashi's probably also on Amazons S2 while Riku Sanjo has returned to writing Beet the Vandel Buster. So, I guess that leaves either Keiichi Hasegawa or Nobuhiro Mouri if we're talking writers that are usually available.

Both are solid writers. My preference between them would be for Hasegawa.

javadoze

I'm guessing Ohmori's the producer this time around (seeing how Amazons S2 probably has Takebe's attention and Utsunomiya is busy with Zyuohger).

The writer is a bigger question mark since Kobayashi's probably also on Amazons S2 while Riku Sanjo has returned to writing Beet the Vandel Buster. So, I guess that leaves either Keiichi Hasegawa or Nobuhiro Mouri if we're talking writers that are usually available.

Yo TokuGAF! I've just recently (as in the last month) gotten into seriously watching Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. I've always been meaning to get into the former but never got around to it. Well, that's begun to change.

I started with Kamen Rider Fourze (it was cheesy if not somewhat forgettable fun), then went onto Den-O as I was looking for another lighthearted entry in the franchise and ended up loving that (I only have the two to compare so far, but Den-O is my definite preferred of the two)! The Taros are the best. Currently, I'm watching Drive as I wanted something more current, but I got distracted by the glimpses of one of the Super Sentai series that aired alongside it - Ressha Sentai ToQger. ToQger definitely had more of an obvious kids' show vibe (I know all these shows are primarily aimed at kids, but this series embraced that more), but I didn't mind it. Again, I've been watching these shows for their lighthearted fun currently. It did surprise me though in how heartfelt and emotional it got towards the end.
I didn't expect a couple episodes to make me a bit blubbery, but they did.
Only after I finished it did I check the staff credits and lo' and behold, same main writer as Den-O! The train theme definitely should have tipped me off.

Anyways, so if I like the more lighthearted affairs, or at least ones with a lot of levity to contrast the Dark and Edgy, what other entries in Kamen Rider and Super Sentai would y'all recommend?

o/

So I just got into Kamen Rider, with having watched through all of Neo Heisei in the length of a month or 2, and right now i'm watching Ghost and the pacing is really bad...

Also Ex-Aid looks like its going to be the best.

Sandfox

Yo TokuGAF! I've just recently (as in the last month) gotten into seriously watching Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. I've always been meaning to get into the former but never got around to it. Well, that's begun to change.

I started with Kamen Rider Fourze (it was cheesy if not somewhat forgettable fun), then went onto Den-O as I was looking for another lighthearted entry in the franchise and ended up loving that (I only have the two to compare so far, but Den-O is my definite preferred of the two)! The Taros are the best. Currently, I'm watching Drive as I wanted something more current, but I got distracted by the glimpses of one of the Super Sentai series that aired alongside it - Ressha Sentai ToQger. ToQger definitely had more of an obvious kids' show vibe (I know all these shows are primarily aimed at kids, but this series embraced that more), but I didn't mind it. Again, I've been watching these shows for their lighthearted fun currently. It did surprise me though in how heartfelt and emotional it got towards the end.
Only after I finished it did I check the staff credits and lo' and behold, same main writer as Den-O! The train theme definitely should have tipped me off.

Anyways, so if I like the more lighthearted affairs, or at least ones with a lot of levity to contrast the Dark and Edgy, what other entries in Kamen Rider and Super Sentai would y'all recommend?

o/
Go-onger

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

o/

Carranger

Gutss

Fantastic debut episode for the Ultraman orb Youtuber theme is fresh lol, how far has the ultra series have become, phenomonal start hope it gets better, and the cast is great too.

Pluto

Go-Onger
Gekiranger (more serialized with a more serious backstory but lots of lighthearted moments especially the red ranger and his antics)
Carranger
Megaranger

If you enjoyed Yasuko Kobayashi's (head writer of Den-O amd ToQger) work you might also enjoy some of her other sentai work:
Shinkenger
Gingaman
Go-Busters
Timeranger

Tiu Neo

It's a multi Rider show so I can't see the supporting cast being that good, considering how there'll be many Riders running around from the first few episodes who'll need attention.

I like Kabuto's supporting cast. If it's at that level, but without having to write one character off mid-season for some reason, it's already good.

o/

Abaranger. It's my favorite sentai exactly because the contrast between dark and silly is so... contrasting. When it's silly, it's really silly.

NeonZ

I like Kabuto's supporting cast. If it's at that level, but without having to write one character off mid-season for some reason, it's already good.

Kabuto spaced out the Rider introductions by many episodes though, aside from Drake's. Here, due to the toyline, we know they'll be introducing 5 Riders just in the 1st quarter.

Ex-Aid, Brave and Snipe even will have some toys out in September before the show even starts (probably to advertise them alongside Ex-Aid's appearance in Ghost, since the toy listing confirmed that Ex-Aid will appear in Ghost through September. Although it makes me wonder if we'll see the other two too before the series even starts)

WarRock

o/
Gokaiger and Kyoryuger. OOO and Fourze. Gekiranger and probably Carranger fits the bill too.

So I just got into Kamen Rider, with having watched through all of Neo Heisei in the length of a month or 2, and right now i'm watching Ghost and the pacing is really bad...

Also Ex-Aid looks like its going to be the best.

o/

Welcome to both of you!

I'd jump to Kamen Rider W and Kyoryuger next.

KingDirk

I have limited experience with Sentai but Carranger is one of my favorite things across media. Pacing is surprisingly good and the humor works really well.

Tiu Neo

Kabuto spaced out the Rider introductions by many episodes though, aside from Drake's. Here, due to the toyline, we know they'll be introducing 5 Riders just in the 1st quarter.

Ex-Aid, Brave and Snipe even will have some toys out in September before the show even starts (probably to advertise them alongside Ex-Aid's appearance in Ghost, since the toy listing confirmed that Ex-Aid will appear in Ghost through September. Although it makes me wonder if we'll see the other two too before the series even starts)

True. Well, maybe there is a way out. The main problem I had with GAIM is that the non-Riders supporting cast was not really used for much, except for Mai, who wasn't that great.

Maybe if we could get a Fourze-level cast, only some of them are also Riders. But I think that's asking for too much, heh.

javadoze

Plot synopsis for Kamen rider Ex-Aid is out.

2016. Unknown monsters called the Bugsters start invading our world, by infecting humans through computer game viruses. Em, computer genius and great video game player, creates the Gamer Driver and the Gashatto to become Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and counter the threat. But is Em really not aware of the Bugster’s origins? Why do they call him “Father”? Let the games begin!

Pretty interesting stuff. Especially the fact that our main character this time around
actually created the Gamer Driver, and maybe even the Bugsters?

Tiu Neo

Orb 2

Heh, I love the fact the main cast are pretty much a few broke people trying to make some money. The villain is really creepy, too. Dunno how I feel about the main character yet, let's see in the future.

The things this series does with the models are awesome. It may look fake, yeah, but it's still looks way better than cheap CG.

Mr-Joker

Banned

2016. Unknown monsters called the Bugsters start invading our world, by infecting humans through computer game viruses. Em, computer genius and great video game player, creates the Gamer Driver and the Gashatto to become Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and counter the threat. But is Em really not aware of the Bugster’s origins? Why do they call him “Father”? Let the games begin!

Pretty interesting stuff. Especially the fact that our main character this time around

The Plot synopsis gives me a Drive vibe, so it should be a fun watch.

Thats really odd cause I read a completely different translation which has some similar things but lacking in a few things, namely the two things you mentioned

This is the one that i read.

NeonZ

The protagonist making the Rider belts seemed like an odd set up for a multi Rider show, since this isn't a team based series..

Top Bottom