• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

vareon

Hey, remember that Superhero Year thing Toei was doing?

KR1 movie and Amazons was it? Did they drop it? The logo is still shown on the episodes, so...

I just hope we see anything Sentai. Even a Zyuohger vs Super Sentai movie would be a nice surprise at this point. :(

I feel like Toei has for a few times announced an anniversary stuff then ended up doing the exact same thing they did every year lol.

NeonZ

I feel like Toei has for a few times announced an anniversary stuff then ended up doing the exact same thing they did every year lol.

I think it's just Zyuohger that has been oddly lacking in actual anniversary material, even compared to Boukenger that at least had the end of episode encyclopedia clips and monsters based on old robots, but outside of that, Toei always seemed to make some special material for anniversaries, although aside from Decade and Gokaiger it often wasn't in the shows themselves.

Fourze had the episode 2 clips, Showa Riders in Megamax and the DVD extras with the Kamen Rider club quiz stuff. Gaim got the Wizard finale, Kamen Rider Taisen and the tv special with Toqger (which also had the first tv appearances of the double Riders since Black RX). It also was the first Rider that actually got the Legend Rider stuff appearing on screen for new forms in the movies rather than only toyline.

For the anniversary of Goranger's airing last year, we got the ninja crossover and Akaranger cameo in Ninninger. Zyuohger's first anniversary event are the cameos in the upcoming movie, but even then it might be just an actual background cameo. You'd need to go back to Gaoranger to get an anniversary season with such a restrained presence, but even then that's assuming we'll get a Vs Super Sentai movie with a comparable cast.

vareon

I think it's just Zyuohger that has been oddly lacking in actual anniversary material, even compared to Boukenger that at least had the end of episode encyclopedia clips and monsters based on old robots, but outside of that, Toei always seemed to make some special material for anniversaries, although aside from Decade and Gokaiger it often wasn't in the shows themselves.

Fourze had the episode 2 clips, Showa Riders in Megamax and the DVD extras with the Kamen Rider club quiz stuff. Gaim got the Wizard finale, Kamen Rider Taisen and the tv special with Toqger (which also had the first tv appearances of the double Riders since Black RX). It also was the first Rider that actually got the Legend Rider stuff appearing on screen for new forms in the movies rather than only toyline.

For the anniversary of Goranger's airing last year, we got the ninja crossover and Akaranger cameo in Ninninger. Zyuohger's first anniversary event are the cameos in the upcoming movie, but even then it might be just an actual background cameo. You'd need to go back to Gaoranger to get an anniversary season with such a restrained presence, but even then that's assuming we'll get a Vs Super Sentai movie with a comparable cast.

That's what I meant by exact same thing (well, not exact). Cameos, crossovers, special appearances, special episodes. Post Decade and Gokaiger they just don't have the same impact anymore. Amazons is the first substantial attempt that seemingly found decent success if it was renewed. Well aside from that Metal Hero revival attempt that went nowhere.

NeonZ

That's what I meant by exact same thing (well, not exact). Cameos, crossovers, special appearances, special episodes. Post Decade and Gokaiger they just don't have the same impact anymore. Amazons is the first substantial attempt that seemingly found decent success if it was renewed. Well aside from that Metal Hero revival attempt that went nowhere.

I enjoy watching old characters return, especially considering how the first couple of modern attempts were flawed in some big ways (like the AU idea in Decade, or the Riders appearing out of nowhere for the final battles after not being anywhere during most of the movie, or Gokaiger making every old hero fail to defeat the villains and unable to fight in the present), so without the later ones it'd all have been pointless.

Jeffrey

the gimmick in Ultraman orb kinda makes me wish the next 'anniversary' rider series does something similar.

fusing the suits and powers between previous riders.

Tiu Neo

Well, at least we got Amazons from it!

But yeah, even Goseiger and Ninninger had more anniversary material than Zyuohger. Well, the series being good, I don't really care.

Just wish Toei gave sentai fans... something for the anniversary. Even if it wasn't in the main series.

https://youtu.be/AJScrSOkTF0 @3:41

Takeshi Hongo got a new form and weapon.

Between this and Segata, I wish every commercial had him.

WarRock

Amazons 9-10
"oh but those are innocent amazons" holy fuck they were eating random people off the street and even tried to cook your teammate you dumbass

Sigma is damn cool, his fight with Jin was 10/10.

It's a shame since Shaider and Sharivan had potential.

Well, there's a Doggie, Shafu and Torin cameo in the movie.
Who are you and what have you done to Boss Doggie?

delSai

agitoreunion.jpg

Agito Family reunited.
Shouichi looks so weird without his Shouichi hair.

Jeffrey

Do note that gaim takes a bit to start off (like all recent kamen rider).

I started watching original Ultraman series. Any other one I should check out?

not particularly? I don't ever feel like the shows aged that well. Modern ones are pretty fun to watch though if you want some HD dudes in suits wrestling over a minature city.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Spoopy 40

...well that was really a pointless arc that only served to give shit into the movie. Fuck, even Drive did it better.

Also why did Takeru have to use Ghost when he could access Infinity immediately, that never had any magnetism problems?

Who are you and what have you done to Boss Doggie?

I got struck by K-On! comfiness.

Don't worry I'll be back soon... with possibly a buff Mudsdale.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 40

Annoying that half this stuff won't matter for months since the Blu-Ray won't be out until then. I mean yeah it's fine for Japanese viewers but this was just bad form.

Shooting the Dadmeiser somehow restored everything. It's like even the writers realized this arc was stupid and just gave up.

Hopefully now that we're in the last six or so episodes, the story can finally go somewhere.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 40

...can the final arc just begin already? Please?

Would be more interesting if dad was the culprit, for some random reason like protecting her or something like that. But... of course they wouldn't do that,
and Jiraya was the one leaking info.

Boss Doggie

Ghost 40

...can the final arc just begin already? Please?

Would be more interesting if dad was the culprit, for some random reason like protecting her or something like that. But... of course they wouldn't do that,
and Jiraya was the one leaking info.

he looks so different compared to last year's appearance in ninninger to this year

WarRock

Finished Amazons! That was... way better than I expected? Yeah, some shitty non endings (one second they imply Haruka and Jin killed each other just so they get up and walk without a wound on their necks... why?) and I want to know exactly what the belt does to them (and whatever happened with Sigma's belt), but there is a second season coming, I guess.

Great ride, no doubt. I distinctly thought the show got better as it went on, even though it has some rough moments and dubious writing here and there. Still better than the average main Rider season though.

Jeffrey

the paint used seem kinda fancy. I expect these to be the ~$20, while there will be cheaper less articulate figures too.

Now I'm really curious what the megazord is gonna look like, if there will even be one? It's most definitely cg, hopefully looks a bit better than the first mmpr movie megazord lol.

Will it even be animal themed? These suits clearly aren't.

NEO0MJ

Now I'm really curious what the megazord is gonna look like, if there will even be one? It's most definitely cg, hopefully looks a bit better than the first mmpr movie megazord lol.

Will it even be animal themed? These suits clearly aren't.

I recently saw a replay on TV of that movie and God it looked so bad. Can't believe I thought that was the coolest shit I saw as a kid.

And they're still animal themed costumes, you can see it in the helmets. How the Megazord will look though is a big question, yeah.
Still, I'm anticipating it with excitement.

Delio

I guess it's neat you can see the Dinosaurs inside the colored part of the Power Coin/emblem/almost Dino Gem.

ALSO this also confirms the
Rita using the Green Ranger powers thing. She has the coin in her staff

vareon

I recently saw a replay on TV of that movie and God it looked so bad. Can't believe I thought that was the coolest shit I saw as a kid.

And they're still animal themed costumes, you can see it in the helmets. How the Megazord will look though is a big question, yeah.
Still, I'm anticipating it with excitement.

For real. It looked like a bootleg compared to the actual Ninja Megazord. CGI Megazord back then was real hype, though.

delSai

Finished Kabuto and i liked it alot! I liked all Riders except for Drake, who i just didn't care about. Sasword was the highlight for, making me laugh pretty much every time he showed up on screen. Kagami was the most likeable, especially compared to Tendou who only was likeable when Juka was around imo, and Gatack was a pretty strong secondary, easily making it into my Top 5. Suits looked cool, armored Sasword and Drakes design being the only ones i wasn't a fan of, had some cool fights and music as well. Had some weaknesses of course like those 2 awful Black Knife episodes, really bad, felt like filler episodes.

Also started Blade, but wasn't a fan of the first episode.

Boss Doggie

The first few eps of Blade can be a bit of a hard to swallow. But once it gets rolling, it gets rolling.

TACHIBANASAN NAZEMITERUNDESU

Tiu Neo

Finished Kabuto and i liked it alot! I liked all Riders except for Drake, who i just didn't care about. Sasword was the highlight for, making me laugh pretty much every time he showed up on screen. Kagami was the most likeable, especially compared to Tendou who only was likeable when Juka was around imo, and Gatack was a pretty strong secondary, easily making it into my Top 5. Suits looked cool, armored Sasword and Drakes design being the only ones i wasn't a fan of, had some cool fights and music as well. Had some weaknesses of course like those 2 awful Black Knife episodes, really bad, felt like filler episodes.

I kinda like those Black Knife episodes for their weirdness, but yeah, it's not its strongest point.

Jeffrey

I guess it's neat you can see the Dinosaurs inside the colored part of the Power Coin/emblem/almost Dino Gem.

ALSO this also confirms the

Cool. Now I'm curious if the megazord will be overly detailed ala bayformers.

I do love how in the Turbo movie, they heard the feedback and instead went with ultra detailed models instead for the megazord combination and got the original mecha suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_m2uW1QqE

It get's a lot better after a few episodes.

Top Bottom