• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

KingDirk

Man, Cosmic States is easily the best out od that list.

(Dear Lord though I always expected the heads on Gold Mode to start screaming)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
man compared to Drive's, Ghost's movie previews are lazy

fuck, Sage is just standing there doing nothing

WarRock

Grateful Ghost and Kiwami Gaim belong in this list!

Though I still prefer Cosmic States.
I completely forgot about Kiwami and still haven't reached the Grateful debut!

Say, I was reading Ex Aid stuff again and saw that he has to heal people infected by Bugsters' virus. This setup is pretty common in modern Rider/Sentai, isn't it? Instead of just defeating the monster of the week (that may not even be harming people directly, sometimes it's destroying mail posts, plastic chairs or whatever), the objective of the episode/two parter is rescuing or saving civilians. That wasn't the standard plot of older toku, where killing kaijin was the most common objective... or am I just misremembering things?

Tiu Neo

Say, I was reading Ex Aid stuff again and saw that he has to heal people infected by Bugsters' virus. This setup is pretty common in modern Rider/Sentai, isn't it? Instead of just defeating the monster of the week (that may not even be harming people directly, sometimes it's destroying mail posts, plastic chairs or whatever), the objective of the episode/two parter is rescuing or saving civilians. That wasn't the standard plot of older toku, where killing kaijin was the most common objective... or am I just misremembering things?

Kinda? On older series, a lot of times, the main character(s) had to help the person/kid (ugh) of the week, or try to stop the villain's plan of the week... It's just that most of the times, everything was solved when the monster was killed.

NeonZ

Super Sentai not so much, aside from a few exceptions like Zyuranger, but Showa era Kamen Rider often had victims of the week (although in series like V3 and Black they were always children or young teenagers) to be rescued or protected.

Tiu Neo

Bioman... It's a pretty fun series. I'm on episode 10 now, and
while I knew Yellow would die, thanks to Akibaranger, I didn't expect it to be so soon. Strange episode, too, did she have a fight with staff members or something like that?

Though in Black Kotaro has a foresight to immediately blame the incident on Golgom.

Of course, EVERYTHING is Golgom's fault.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ohranger DVD set box art

axo9tkI.jpg

There's going to be a bunch of people wondering "Why are there Japanese people in the Zeo costumes?"

Interesting thing, at my local Meijer (midwestern Target/Walmart style supercenter), they're actually selling the Kakuranger DVD. I never thought I'd see that in a store like that.

Boss Doggie

Bioman... It's a pretty fun series. I'm on episode 10 now, and
while I knew Yellow would die, thanks to Akibaranger, I didn't expect it to be so soon. Strange episode, too, did she have a fight with staff members or something like that?

Of course, EVERYTHING is Golgom's fault.

No one actually knew why she left. And apparently to this day her whereabouts are unknown.

And yeah, it really is Golgom's fault.

Ohranger DVD set box art

There's going to be a bunch of people wondering "Why are there Japanese people in the Zeo costumes?"

Interesting thing, at my local Meijer (midwestern Target/Walmart style supercenter), they're actually selling the Kakuranger DVD. I never thought I'd see that in a store like that.
We live in weird times.

Tiu Neo

No one actually knew why she left. And apparently to this day her whereabouts are unknown.

And yeah, it really is Golgom's fault.

Oh, that explains a lot. Must've been a weird situation for everyone, then.

And she was one of my favorite characters, too...

Boss Doggie

So the Bird Man from Zyuohger is collecting various cube weapons, he already has Cube Cheetah.

And his name is Bad/Bud (from Japanese pronunciation of bird - baado).

Boss Doggie

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ex-aid/

website

hmm so director isn't Sakamoto but from Wizard (Nakagawa). Well, choreography wasn't the problem of Wizard at least, gotta know who the writer/s are though.

apparently they'll use game related cgi and sfx for the show

EDIT: writer is Yuya Takahashi. No toku background it seems.

Tiu Neo

Orb 4

Are Ultraman support characters always this great? I hope we see Gai and the team interact more, those were great this episode.

javadoze

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/07/lupin-iii-part-4s-yuya-takahashi-write-kamen-rider-ex-aid/

Called it with Ohmori being the producer (though it seems this time around, he's not the chief producer, but rather Sasaki Motoi from TV Asashi... weird).

That said, I have absolutely no idea what to expect with Yuya Takahashi (hopefully he doesn't go ghost like Takuro Fukuda has).

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ex-aid/

website

hmm so director isn't Sakamoto but from Wizard (Nakagawa). Well, choreography wasn't the problem of Wizard at least, gotta know who the writer/s are though.

apparently they'll use game related cgi and sfx for the show

EDIT: writer is Yuya Takahashi. No toku background it seems.

Yuya Takahashi did the Type Tokujo specials for Kamen Rider Drive..

NeonZ

Called it with Ohmori being the producer (though it seems this time around, he's not the chief producer, but rather Sasaki Motoi from TV Asashi... weird).

Apparently, the main producer changed to Sasaki Motoi from Tv Asahi with Ghost episode 39. So, there's some behind the scenes shuffle going on.

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/07/lupin-iii-part-4s-yuya-takahashi-write-kamen-rider-ex-aid/

Takahito Ohmori will produce the show. Ohmori was previously the chief produder on Kamen Rider Drive and Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. Sasaki Motoi from TV Asahi is credited as chief producer. Yuya Takahashi will serve as head script writer. Takahashi previously wrote the Type Tokujo specials for Kamen Rider Drive. He has written various J-Dramas as well as the Sentai-inspired Eight Ranger movies and served as the head writer on last year’s Lupin the III Part 4. This will be Takahashi’s first full tokusatsu series. Shojiro Nakazawa, head director on Juuken Sentai Gekiranger, Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, Kamen Rider Wizard, Ressha Sentai ToQger, and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger will direct.

vareon

Not really feeling the staff. As of now, a potato could write a Kamen Rider series since the show writes itself with its toy schedules. Looking at the Producer-Director-Writer I don't feel they're trying anything different.

NeonZ

Not really feeling the staff. As of now, a potato could write a Kamen Rider series since the show writes itself with its toy schedules. Looking at the Producer-Director-Writer I don't feel they're trying anything different.

The Tv-Asahi producer now is the main producer of the tv show, rather than Toei's unlike in previous years. The writer also is new to the franchise. Only the director really is "nothing different".

Boss Doggie

The Tv-Asahi producer now is the main producer of the tv show, rather than Toei's unlike in previous years. The writer also is new to the franchise. Only the director really is "nothing different".

hmm, I wonder if that's a good or a bad thing

Boss Doggie

Well considering the whole plot I was hoping around Shinnosuke's actor, or at least something like Shotaro's actor.

Jeffrey

lol people here should really watch Ultraman Ginga S. The way the fight choreography is done is hilarious. Sakamoto wants to do his signature quick action, but at the same time, ultraman has generally been about slowing down the action to like 1/3 speed, so there is random cuts of quick action and slow stuff, and it looks really weird.

Still a blast though.

Marathoning these ultraman shows is like, I'm reliving a childhood I never had or something, more so than modern sentai or kamen rider.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 23

New player start-o. Show keeps getting better and better. Bunglay seems to have a mind-reading power that can bring your memories to life. Good way to recycle the old monsters.

Next week looks so good.

Ghost 42

Finally some more answers. Yeah, looks like Sage and Eadith were the same person. That's resolved. All that "history repeats" stuff though...
At least Adel didn't surrender to the power of friendship, and will remain the big bad. Unless Igor stabs him in the back and takes over.

Top Bottom