• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

vareon

I cannot think of one where it wouldn't be great. Hell, we could have had one with MR DANGEROUS! Come on, you can't tell me that wouldn't be amazing

I basically want more net series where the Riders are just goofing around, like in the decade era. Narrated by Krim Steinbelt.

NeonZ

I basically want more net series where the Riders are just goofing around, like in the decade era. Narrated by Krim Steinbelt.

It's probably not happening. Last year it was said that productions closer to actual tv episodes like Kamen Rider 4 and the Drive Blu-Ray extras were replacing the net-movies, and it seems like they're sticking with that model with Amazons, the Legend Rider Ghost mini-series and the Alain Ghost extras. These series have completely different producers too, so it's very likely it's an overall directive from Toei's higher ups rather than just a decision of individual teams.

vareon

It's probably not happening. Last year it was said that productions closer to actual tv episodes like Kamen Rider 4 and the Drive Blu-Ray extras were replacing the net-movies, and it seems like they're sticking with that model with Amazons, the Legend Rider Ghost mini-series and the Alain Ghost extras. These series have completely different producers too, so it's very likely it's an overall directive from Toei's higher ups rather than just a decision of individual teams.

If I were Toei I see no value in producing them either. But keep believing in the darkest of night, that is a hero.

I forgot to post my thoughts on Den-O. I finished it last week

Kai was a horrible end boss. It's like they forgot to add one and rushed to make one. No build up, no big reveal. Meh.

Ryotaro was a real weenie.

I teared up when Kintaros stayed behind to fight the Mole imagin in the past. "Take care" ;_;

Anyways I'm halfway through Decade now
On the Den-O episode
. So far its alright

NeonZ

For Decade, watch All Riders vs Dai-Shocker, then the special versions of 30 and 31 and from there go the Movie Wars 2010, rather than watching the original 30 and 31. The ending still won't be good, but at least it won't be a complete mess.

NeonZ

wait, there are special versions of the last two eps of decade?

It mostly changes the final scene of 31, alongside eliminating some foreshadowing for the original ending in episode 30.

Rather than ending with the scene where Diend shoots Decade, that part is completely erased, and it splices footage of the episode 1 Rider War dream (When the explosions and random shots from nowhere start around Decade and Wataru's group, it then cuts to Kaixa firing alongside the Riotrooper army) to make the show end with Decade defeating an army of Riders which leads much better into Movie Wars 2010. It also removes the scene where Onodera was brainwashed by Kiva-la, since he was normal in Movie Wars 2010.

For Decade, watch All Riders vs Dai-Shocker, then the special versions of 30 and 31 and from there go the Movie Wars 2010, rather than watching the original 30 and 31. The ending still won't be good, but at least it won't be a complete mess.

It makes the ending from really bad to an okay bad from the last time I saw them.

NeonZ

why was Yusuke "brainwashed" in the original anyway? what's with the sudden script changes?

The original ending was leading to a movie tentatively called Kamen Rider Decade vs All Riders. There'd be a completely separate W feature airing alongside it ("Episode Zero" which eventually became Begin's Night). At some point during production, they decided to shorten Decade's movie to create the Movie Wars format that we'd get later - two short features and then a crossover, leading to the Movie Wars 2010 that we got. That resulted in heavy modifications for the Decade movie in order to shorten and cut stuff, as well as lead to a shared final battle with W (where W actually gets most of the screentime if you look at the CG fighting sequence which is mostly W focused).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That explains a lot then. So more executive meddling. I was wondering why W's closure had a haphazard, unneeded segment.

The Hobo

Why was decade only 30 something eps anyways?

Each new Rider show used to debut in January, with a new Sentai show debuting in February. This meant the toylines for both shows would go on sale at roughly the same time.

Decade's shorter run meant every following new Rider show would now debut in September, putting a lot of space between the Rider and Sentai toylines.

Boss Doggie

not to mention that the change allowed them to have christmas toy sale release on what seemingly are "peak" rider toy releases

Tiu Neo

Finished OhRanger.

Weird series. It had some very cool ideas, but I don't think most of them were well executed. It has that mix between silly and dark I like on older series, but here I don't think it's very balanced. Eh, I know the real world story behind this, but the series really suffered from it.

Now, the series. The first few episodes and about 8 episodes at the ending are more serious, while the rest of the series is pretty much "let's help the kid of the week". This middle... is not very good. Near the end they switched the kid of the week for just one kid, which wasn't as bad as most KOTW, and it got a little better. The final episodes were pretty good, actually. They had some plot holes and Deus Ex Machinas, but eh, they had some great and exciting moments, with a good ending. If not for those last episodes, this would be probably be lower than Dairanger and Zyuranger for me. I wonder what this series could be if not for those real world events...

The Sixth, Riki, is younger, but is not as bad as KibaRanger. Actually, he's pretty ok. Chief Miura was badass, and one of the strongest points of the series. Probably one of my favorite mentors. The main team was... ok? Shouhei and Momo were good, actually. The others were ok, with some good moments. Oh, and we had Gunmajin, which was a fun character, even if he didn't show up much.

Also, one thing of note is... this has a lot of robots. The series back then had the main robot and one or two of either a second robot, boy robot that could either be self-controlled or piloted, and/or a big carrier mecha with a destructive attack. Ohranger... Had all of them! Two full robots (with five smaller mechas that combine to form them, so it's 10 mechas), one pillotable smaller robot, one AI Boy Robot, and one giant pyramid mecha.That's today's level of mecha counts, heh. No wonder it was good for toy sales.

In thye end... great potential, not so well realised. Eh, it's worth watching for Miura, if anything.

Only 12 series to go (of which something like 4 or 5 aren't subbed in either english or portuguese yet, so no way for me to watch)

Tiu Neo

Ok, which Sentai next? From the unwatched, I have...

Bioman, Go-Onger and Gingaman.

Still haven't watched and don't have Goranger, JAKQ, Battle Fever (wanted to, couldn't find subs with good quality), Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Turboranger, Fiveman and GoGo V. From those... I think only Battle Fever (maybe) has subs, and Goggle V I can watch in portuguese, I guess.

Orb 3

Stinky water... that was a weird problem to have, after the few last episodes more serious problems. Well, it is still a serious problem, I guess.

And I think I like Gai's weirdness. Yeah.

Next week, final elemental beast? Or there is a fifth?

Jeffrey

weird that stinky affects ultraman. Don't think it got a nose?

Can never get tired of them jump kicks.

qizflc.gif

Boss Doggie

Furry Waifu Wars 22

7AEodfv.png

I knew wolves have 10/10 taste

also really hilarious ep, I thought it'd be weird to bring up a major upgrade to a rather weird tone but that was hilarious

dat Genis

Jeffrey

its always great to see one of them flying kicks in modern toku without any fancy effects.

Ultraman has always been what I want out of wrestling for the most part lol.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 22

The key to cheering up Misao is in his pants. .

Great action once again, and I actually like the design of Wild Tousai King. Feels kind of oldschool, only with 13 parts instead of like 5. I liked the part where they tried to figure out how to combine them all.
I'm glad that the Zyuohger movie is a separate thing, and the writers aren't trying to incorporate multiple scenes to tie-in to it. *glares at Ghost*

Boss Doggie

Zyuohger 22

The key to cheering up Misao is in his pants. .

Great action once again, and I actually like the design of Wild Tousai King. Feels kind of oldschool, only with 13 parts instead of like 5. I liked the part where they tried to figure out how to combine them all.
I'm glad that the Zyuohger movie is a separate thing, and the writers aren't trying to incorporate multiple scenes to tie-in to it. *glares at Ghost*

Aren't Sentai usually like that? They don't incorporate them?

WarRock

zyuoh 22
Easily my favorite toku episode this year. Funny, well paced, nice stunts. Wild Tousai King does looks good and surprisingly simple instead of a multicolored clusterfuck.

What's up with Genis being bored though?

Tiu Neo

Eh, started Bioman. First few episodes look cool. Hope it's as good as the four series that follow it.

Zyuohger 22

Misao only gets better each episode, incredible.

The action on this episode was so fun. That scene with them trying to combine the cubes, heh. The combination looks cool, too. Hope that last combination (the one where all the cubes are the legs) looks as good as this in action.

Next enemy
is not a Deathgalien. Sign of things to come?

Boss Doggie

I forgot how Shinkenger had a movie episode. What was it about?

Also more Ex-Aid scans, looks like he'll appear in the movie.

Also holy fuck Lv1 form isn't a CGI.

WillyFive

Shinkenger too. But yeah, it's kinda rare.

Shinkenger's movie didn't contribute anything other than the toy, I think, unless I misremember. However, Magiranger's and Kyoryuger's both concluded (for Magi) and began (for Kyoryu) major plot points respectively.

Tiu Neo

Shinkenger's movie didn't contribute anything other than the toy, I think, unless I misremember. However, Magiranger's and Kyoryuger's both concluded (for Magi) and began (for Kyoryu) major plot points respectively.

Well, both the mecha and the hyper form were used in the series a few times, at least. More than most recent series, for sure. The plot... there was some things about previous Shinkenger, but nothing too important, iirc.

But anyway, I prefer if they don't really use that too much in the series because it can become confusing for us who watch it subbed.

Ghost 41

Well, plot is going forward again. I just hope the movie isn't too important to the plot. Next episodes looks interesting, Sage will finally reveal that he's Eadith (or isn't?) Adel defeated already? So, the Ganmeisers will be the endbosses?

I'm glad they kept the eyecons possessing people part. Sometimes, it's the best part of the episodes. (The ones Onari doesn't do much).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 41

Holy shit plot! I'm kind of having trouble caring though, it took way too long to get answers and I'm in "I just want this to end" mode.

*sees preview*
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Nyanmaruz

Ghost 41

Holy shit plot! I'm kind of having trouble caring though, it took way too long to get answers and I'm in "I just want this to end" mode.

*sees preview*
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
I recently finished watching Drive, but sounds like I probably should just wait for Ex-Aid at this point.

Top Bottom