• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid literally does the Mario jump and grabs a coin (does he need to do this to use his finisher I wonder?) in the Ghost Movie.

If they can keep this up in the actual show I feel like I'm gonna love this. Hope they get really niche with the references.

Yeah... But those previews can be deceiving sometimes. I hope it keeps being like that in the series.

javadoze

Ex-Aid literally does the Mario jump and grabs a coin (does he need to do this to use his finisher I wonder?) in the Ghost Movie.

If they can keep this up in the actual show I feel like I'm gonna love this. Hope they get really niche with the references.

Yeah... But those previews can be deceiving sometimes. I hope it keeps being like that in the series.

I'm still really bitter at how different Ghost's fighting style was from the previews.

Seeing how the movie and the later show's production teams are usually different, these previews are never really the best indicator of the actual show.

(That said, I'd kill for the Wizard and Ghost we got in movie cameos than what we ended up with.)

NeonZ

I think only Ghost's cameo really had a vastly different presentation from the series itself. The Wizard seen in Fourze's movie had very similar effects to the one from the actual tv show, and the same goes to the other cameos.

Tiu Neo

Orb 5

Not only the giant fights are pretty good in this, but Gai fighting was pretty good, too.

Really liked this episode. Some real cool moments between the characters.

Slayven

I think only Ghost's cameo really had a vastly different presentation from the series itself. The Wizard seen in Fourze's movie had very similar effects to the one from the actual tv show, and the same goes to the other cameos.

Yeah the Ghost from the Drive movie was like Ghost that been a rider for a good 10 years and had confidence. Kyoryuger and Gokaigers were pretty subdued in their movie appearences

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 24

Right in the feels.
Bunglay is sadistic and I love it. He's an amazing addition to the show (which is already awesome). I sense this could be a good rivalry.
Interesting that Amu implies something about Yamato's dad. I still remember earlier when he was asked about his parents and Mario quickly changed the subject. We know about mom now, but dad... hmmm.

Next week:
Say Cheese and Die!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Furry Feels 24

Zyuohger managed to make the concept of ghosts much more meaningful than Ghost, holy shit.

Reminds me of Gaim being able to pull despair much better than Wizard.

Zyuohger 24

Right in the feels.
Bunglay is sadistic and I love it. He's an amazing addition to the show (which is already awesome). I sense this could be a good rivalry.
Interesting that Amu implies something about Yamato's dad. I still remember earlier when he was asked about his parents and Mario quickly changed the subject. We know about mom now, but dad... hmmm.

Next week:
Say Cheese and Die!

I still think Bud/Bad (kusakabird) is his dad.

vareon

Wonder how many bicycle kicks he will do with Gokaiger/Wizard director at the helm.

Wizard is probably the most acrobatic rider in ages. Love his fighting style.

I don't think Wizard ever punched. Probably because of that clunky ring in his hands.
In an ideal world, Wizard would be a glass cannon long range DPS.

Slayven

We do need some innovation in Rider kicks, and finishers in general. Now they just seem like noise, crappy cgi, and ramming into the enemy.

Jeffrey

I don't think Wizard ever punched. Probably because of that clunky ring in his hands.
In an ideal world, Wizard would be a glass cannon long range DPS.

well he does summon his gunblade at the start of every battle so never really an opportunity. I think he did some hand to hand at the end though, but he's never much of a puncher.

We do need some innovation in Rider kicks, and finishers in general. Now they just seem like noise, crappy cgi, and ramming into the enemy.

Wish they'd tone down the CG at times. I do like modern ultraman better in that sense. Keep effects mostly practical until the finisher. Just feels better to watch idk.

Boss Doggie

well he does like to use BIG PLEASE then swipe the enemy

a missed opportunity is using BIG PLEASE on his leg to stomp enemies

and attacks happening only once in the series' lifetime is a Rider tradition. Remember Mach's signal bike that turns the design into a massive angry shark bullet?

Jeffrey

and attacks happening only once in the series' lifetime is a Rider tradition. Remember Mach's signal bike that turns the design into a massive angry shark bullet?

why use big please to kick when his robot dragon turns into a robot foot and he rider kicks that way?

It's show Time clearly means you gotta go flashy or go home.

Boss Doggie

why use big please to kick when his robot dragon turns into a robot foot and he rider kicks that way?

It's show Time clearly means you gotta go flashy or go home.

oh no I don't mean it as a rider kick, more like mob clearing attacks like his Big Please on his hand but instead he stomps on the ghouls

Jeffrey

oh no I don't mean it as a rider kick, more like mob clearing attacks like his Big Please on his hand but instead he stomps on the ghouls

Well, you can't sell more merchandise reusing 1 toy twice, he has a billion other AOE moves instead!

Jesus was Wizard OP.

Slayven

kabuto_zmizer.JPG

$_1.JPG

Tiu Neo

Watched GAIM x Drive, this weekend. Drive x Ghost wasn't good, but at least they did the whole two Riders thing better, imo. Don't really like the way both Riders have separate parts before the crossover, of the older crossover movies. GAIM part felt a bit forced sometimes, Lupin feels like it could be a lot better done if it was its own movie, and the ending had cool scenes, at least.

I hope Ex-Aid vs Ghost is one whole movie instead of going back to the old style.

BTW, re-watching Drive... damn, the series had a good plot and villain stories since the start, but Machine Chaser does make it look worse. No wonder the series gets better right after he "dies". (Freeze great menace also helps a lot)

Jeffrey

With how popular super hero movies are these days with them chiseled abs heroes, wonder if toku will ever get back to main characters that has done at least some strength training.

They still have to appeal to the soccer moms in japan though.

Orb MC looks ok for modern toku dude, still could get them spaghetti arms a bit bigger though, or just never take off the jacket lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Boron Booster got used in the movie too at least. There was that aquatic version of Castle Doran which popped up once and never again.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohgers 24

Whoa, great way of using the "bring things back from dead". Just like Doggie said, they did the Ghost concept better than Ghost.

Glad to see Bunglay not only is an important new enemy, but a great one at that. The Deathgalien needed an power upgrade, and Bunglay being an evil bastard as he is only makes it better. I wonder what he's after.

Also, he's a smart way of reusing costumes without feeling *too* cheap, since the clone fights are there only as filler and an excuse to use the mechas. Of course, would be better if he got his own, more powerful minions, but eh.

Boss Doggie

Zyuohgers 24

Whoa, great way of using the "bring things back from dead". Just like Doggie said, they did the Ghost concept better than Ghost.

Glad to see Bunglay not only is an important new enemy, but a great one at that. The Deathgalien needed an power upgrade, and Bunglay being an evil bastard as he is only makes it better. I wonder what he's after.

Also, he's a smart way of reusing costumes without feeling *too* cheap, since the clone fights are there only as filler and an excuse to use the mechas. Of course, would be better if he got his own, more powerful minions, but eh.

also love that it caused infighting

Jeffrey

Ex-Aid in ganbaraizingまさかね、1クレで当たるなんて・・・・・俺明日死ぬんじゃないですかねwwwwwリクエストがある方はコメント欄へ。カード、及び技を持っていればやってみたいと思います。

hmmm no finisher animations yet, or do they not update it until the show airs?

WarRock

Zyuohger 24
Is it too much to ask for all Toei toku to be this well written? I felt like the tone of this episode was on point. That and, uh, it's almost painful how much better Yamato's actor acting skills are compared to Taka's in Ninnin.

Zyuohgers 24
I liked how he used the giant monsters as distraction instead of blowing up some random smokescreen.

Boogiepop

So, I'm the sort who's usually only ever been vaguely aware of Toku stuff, but I've recently started Zyuranger after picking up the set a while back and finally getting around to watching it. I had previously watched through the Japanese Spider-man, but that was my only real experience watching through a Tokusatsu show. And to be honest, that had me a little wary going into this. Like, I love the goofiness and I can totally get down with this stuff, and that stuff made Spider-man great in small doses. But to be perfectly honest, the repetitiveness definitely wore on me, and I have to say that I'm not really big on the whole stock-footage style reuse of drawn out super move sequences and stuff (much as I'd guess that may be blasphemy in here).

Fortunately, though, Zyuranger has pleasantly surprised me. Like, Spider-man 100% stuck to formula in the way the problem of the week occurred, Spider-man beats up the small monster, it grows big, and then he summons his giant robot Leopardon and we see the whole transformation sequence, and then he used his super move and that's about it (said super move being throwing the cheap looking sword). It never really deviated from that, and there really wasn't much to speak of in terms of larger plot threads.

Meanwhile, Zyuranger has been changing things up a good bit. Not every monster grows giant before being killed, there are currently 2 different super robots that can be combined into, and there's actually some legitimate fighting while in giant mode instead of just using the super attack every time. Heck, even the non-combined robots occasionally get a legitimate chance to fight! (I'm about half-way through currently). And there's of course been the big Green Ranger arc, which... I'm dicey on. I enjoyed it well enough, but holy hell that was a quick heel-turn. Like, multiple episodes of "I want to kill you and take over the world", and then he has a moment of realizing he can't bring himself to kill his little brother, and then all of the sudden he's on their team and really cares about protecting Geki (said brother, just to be safe). I do rather like the creepy child and limited lifespan thing he got saddled with, in that it's done quite well at first, especially considering the obviously limited budget that can definitely hurt their execution of stuff. But it's made him a bit awkward where these one-offs I'm in the midst of are concerned, because he pretty much just pops up to summon his dragon for the others to use and then immediately ducks out. Oh, and I rather like Bandora, she's a nice thoroughly ridiculous villain with the straightforward silly-evil motivation of "I hate kids, so I'm just gonna kill them all".

It's not a perfect show by any means (in particular, the characters pretty much have no development outside of "rah, we fight for justice"! Oh, and the show seems to have immediately forgot that they're supposed to be from the distant past, which is weird), but I've been having fun with it. Just out of curiosity, how does Zyuranger rank against most of the other Sentai shows? I'm planning on grabbing the other ones that have a US dvd release (and I'm really glad to see that being done finally), but I am kind of wondering if I'm watching one of the better Sentai series, or perhaps one of the lesser ones, or I guess maybe one that falls in the middle of the road. Also, are there any particular recommendations for standout Tokusatsu shows? Like, I've always been kind of curious about Kamen Rider stuff for example. Bonus points if it's something that has an official/legal English subbed version.

(Also sorry if this is kind of a weird giant post to dump in the middle of you guys discussing episodes of modern shows and the like, just taking a glimpse at the rest of the thread).

WillyFive

Glad to have you here!

As far as Super Sentai seasons go, Zyuranger is actually regarded as the childish boring season that aired inbetween Jetman (considered to be one of the all time best of the genre) and Dairanger (a fan favorite). A lot of its popularity stems from its footage being used to make Power Rangers.

I did like a few parts of Zyuranger (specifically Burai), but you have even better shows to look forward to.

Unfortunately there arent that many Toku shows that have official English versions (especially for Kamen Rider), but pretty soon Carranger is going to come to the US, and that is one of the great seasons of Super Sentai due to its comedy.

Boogiepop

Glad to have you here!

As far as Super Sentai seasons go, Zyuranger is actually regarded as the childish boring season that aired inbetween Jetman (considered to be one of the all time best of the genre) and Dairanger (a fan favorite). A lot of its popularity stems from its footage being used to make Power Rangers.

I did like a few parts of Zyuranger (specifically Burai), but you have even better shows to look forward to.

Unfortunately there arent that many Toku shows that have official English versions (especially for Kamen Rider), but pretty soon Carranger is going to come to the US, and that is one of the great seasons of Super Sentai due to its comedy.

Awesome, glad to hear that it's still up from here, since I'm already enjoying what I'm watching now! But yeah, sucks that this stuff is still not too well distributed in the US, but I'm really glad to see the Super Sentai stuff apparently doing well enough to keep on rolling out, so that should keep me set for a while at least.
If you're a fan of Ultraman or kaiju stuff then Crunchyroll has a bunch.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that at some point!

WarRock

I have yet to finish Kakuranger, but I still would recommend it since its whole structure, with the narrator and the social commentary (through the monsters being adapted to the transitioning japanese society of the time) made it seem way less repetitive than the usual toku-monster-of-the-week formula to me.

And welcome =D

WarRock

So, after some discussion about Zyuohger 24, I had a feeling we already discussed about Yamato's parents. Turns out Boss Doggie was right about The World all along!

Obviously his entire family is half Zyuman. Uncle is trying to discover what animal he is to this day.

That's why Yamato was saved by
his actual father

This is not a serious post.

we never did know who is his parents!

but then, what about gorilla? or is using other animal powers making him a chimera?

suddenly I wonder if TheWorld will be like Den-O, the zyumans are like imagin to him

BatDan uncovered Ex Aid's motif too. TokuGAF has a good track record at this point.
Zootop- oh wait that's Zyuohger Wreck It Ral- oh wait there's video game elements in Zyuohger

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Okay that's some good shit.

Looking back it seems we can expect the press showings next week around the 16th.

Top Bottom