• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

BossRush

I wish really bad we had gotten a switch up in Sentai in Riders for the sake of making cooler crossovers.

Like have it be Ninninger - Ghost, Toqger - Drive, Zyuohger - Ex-Aid. It'd be perfect.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Video Game Kamen Rider reminded me of that SpeedRacerFlubber video where he dubbed over Goseiger as a video game themed season of Power Rangers. I went to go find it, but apparently Saban blocked it. Fuck...

Tiu Neo

So, I'm the sort who's usually only ever been vaguely aware of Toku stuff, but I've recently started Zyuranger after picking up the set a while back and finally getting around to watching it. I had previously watched through the Japanese Spider-man, but that was my only real experience watching through a Tokusatsu show. And to be honest, that had me a little wary going into this. Like, I love the goofiness and I can totally get down with this stuff, and that stuff made Spider-man great in small doses. But to be perfectly honest, the repetitiveness definitely wore on me, and I have to say that I'm not really big on the whole stock-footage style reuse of drawn out super move sequences and stuff (much as I'd guess that may be blasphemy in here).

Fortunately, though, Zyuranger has pleasantly surprised me. Like, Spider-man 100% stuck to formula in the way the problem of the week occurred, Spider-man beats up the small monster, it grows big, and then he summons his giant robot Leopardon and we see the whole transformation sequence, and then he used his super move and that's about it (said super move being throwing the cheap looking sword). It never really deviated from that, and there really wasn't much to speak of in terms of larger plot threads.

Meanwhile, Zyuranger has been changing things up a good bit. Not every monster grows giant before being killed, there are currently 2 different super robots that can be combined into, and there's actually some legitimate fighting while in giant mode instead of just using the super attack every time. Heck, even the non-combined robots occasionally get a legitimate chance to fight! (I'm about half-way through currently). And there's of course been the big Green Ranger arc, which... I'm dicey on. I enjoyed it well enough, but holy hell that was a quick heel-turn. Like, multiple episodes of "I want to kill you and take over the world", and then he has a moment of realizing he can't bring himself to kill his little brother, and then all of the sudden he's on their team and really cares about protecting Geki (said brother, just to be safe). I do rather like the creepy child and limited lifespan thing he got saddled with, in that it's done quite well at first, especially considering the obviously limited budget that can definitely hurt their execution of stuff. But it's made him a bit awkward where these one-offs I'm in the midst of are concerned, because he pretty much just pops up to summon his dragon for the others to use and then immediately ducks out. Oh, and I rather like Bandora, she's a nice thoroughly ridiculous villain with the straightforward silly-evil motivation of "I hate kids, so I'm just gonna kill them all".

It's not a perfect show by any means (in particular, the characters pretty much have no development outside of "rah, we fight for justice"! Oh, and the show seems to have immediately forgot that they're supposed to be from the distant past, which is weird), but I've been having fun with it. Just out of curiosity, how does Zyuranger rank against most of the other Sentai shows? I'm planning on grabbing the other ones that have a US dvd release (and I'm really glad to see that being done finally), but I am kind of wondering if I'm watching one of the better Sentai series, or perhaps one of the lesser ones, or I guess maybe one that falls in the middle of the road. Also, are there any particular recommendations for standout Tokusatsu shows? Like, I've always been kind of curious about Kamen Rider stuff for example. Bonus points if it's something that has an official/legal English subbed version.

(Also sorry if this is kind of a weird giant post to dump in the middle of you guys discussing episodes of modern shows and the like, just taking a glimpse at the rest of the thread).

Personal opinion, but I found Zyuranger quite boring, and it's my least favorite sentai. That said, there are some things I like about it (Bandora and Burai, and comparing it to Power Rangers was interesting). From about the same era, and released officially (on the US), I recomend Kakuranger. It can be a bit silly sometimes, but it's part of it's greatness.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
from super sentai general in /m/

z3CUAVT.jpg

Boss Doggie

so according to super sentai general in /m/ this is a thing

Marvelous x Zyuohgers

dskrrFf.jpg

oh and Dekaranger x Gavan

javadoze

from super sentai general in /m/

z3CUAVT.jpg

Oh my god, they finally have Sentai-related stuff for Super Hero Year! Even the plastic lawn furniture is making an appearance!

Zyuohger/Marvelous or Zyuohger VS Super Sentai would be pretty sweet, though (since Leo's still wearing his summer clothes, I wonder how soon this will be?).

This thing looks huge, almost as big as the Fourze Driver with the space needed for the gashattos.

EDIT: It seems another picture has surfaced of the Sentai shoot with what appears to be Daigo or Takaharu?

72JirZc.jpg

NeonZ

Oh my god, they finally have Sentai-related stuff for Super Hero Year! Even the plastic lawn furniture is making an appearance!

Zyuohger/Marvelous or Zyuohger VS Super Sentai would be pretty sweet, though (since Leo's still wearing his summer clothes, I wonder how soon this will be?).

Most people are actually speculating that it's for the tv show, since they soon will hit the 2000th Sentai episode. It does seem too early for a January movie, considering how last minute Toei's productions are.

oh and Dekaranger x Gavan

The Dekaranger x Gavan V-Cinema at this point seems to be just another "we wish we could do x". There's no way they'd already have finished recording it and we'd have no official news at all about its existence.

Boss Doggie

Oh nevermind, the source of Deka x Gavan is Jefusion, LOL

but yeah looks like this is Zyuohger vs Super Sentai

Tiu Neo

Ghost 43

Onari the best.
Even as an eyecon. Also, Alainari, and Onecron next episode. They finally are giving the man what he deserves.

BatDan

Ghost 43

Actual endgame.
Interesting development of Onari becoming an Eyecon, and possessing Alain. Should lead to some amusing scenes next time.

Sooo the whole Deep Specter thing was to create a Makoto doppelganger that would do Adel's bidding? That's what I got from it.

WillyFive

Another Asian-themed year without an Asian Red. Trailer was boring, just the announcer reading the show description set to Ninninger footage.

Hopefully it's good though, and hopefully we get crossovers with Dino Charge.

Weird that they moved the morpher to that lame toy, there's a reason they didn't use it much.

BatDan

At least Kibaoni will have more of a role here than in Ninninger.
I did notice Nero. I guess that's most ToQger we'll get (unless the ToQgers randomly appear in one episode).

WillyFive

I wouldn't take the ToQger villain seriously, it's concept art. Remember that Kamen Rider Wizard was in the Dino Charge trailer, and the Gorangers were in the Megaforce trailer. It's just a collection of random footage.

NeonZ

I wouldn't take the ToQger villain seriously, it's concept art. Remember that Kamen Rider Wizard was in the Dino Charge trailer, and the Gorangers were in the Megaforce trailer. It's just a collection of random footage.

The shot of the Toqger villain has him alongside a Ninninger one though. It's new footage made just for this, not stock footage.

jwk94

After super MegaForce getting Dai and pre zyu Rangers, I think anything is possible.

WillyFive

I suppose there is precedent. Dino Super Charge's trailer showed footage of Zeltrax's Sentai counterpart from The Great Dino War, and they actually did end up using him as a major original villain in Power Rangers.

vareon

Using a cool suit from a skipped season doesn't seem out of bounds to me.

And anyway, ToQger's villains were cool as fuck. Not using them ever would be a crime.

javadoze

I feel like it's not too crazy to reuse Nero's suit for something like a gameshow co-host/guest monster, it'd actually fit in nicely if that's the case.

Top Bottom