• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Ghost spoiler/scan talks:

did.... Did they reuse the movie villain for the series' final villain?

Wouldn't surprise me, after the 4 Necrom recolors, and all the monster reuse this had.

At least that means more budget for Ex-Aid, right?

NeonZ

Ghost spoiler/scan talks:

did.... Did they reuse the movie villain for the series' final villain?

It's just a repainted suit though. The villain shown in the magazines is the
Great Eye fused with the Ganmizer, not Dark Ghost with 100 eyecons like in the movie.

Boogiepop

Just finished Zyuranger, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread was my first Sentai. The ending was pretty crap, but I enjoyed the show as a whole, and I already have Dairanger, so I'll definitely give some more of the stuff a shot (though I think I'll watch some other stuff to cleanse my pallet a bit before diving into that). My biggest issue is that Bandora
just got kind of screwed there, with a jammed in backstory that's not very good (so her whole motivation is that she hates dinosaurs (which aren't really an issue in the modern day, outside of those dumb eggs), and also I guess her loss of her son... made her hate children?) , and then she loses without even getting a chance to fight due to some stupid never mentioned rule about witches, and then Daizyujin is all "oh, I have the power to put her in a magic sealing jar and shoot her into space, so I guess I'll do that." At least they didn't pull a "oh, see, she has a tragic backstory so she's totally good, so she gets to be redeemed and just focus on the really uninteresting floating head of ultimate evil" like I thought they were going to for a bit there. Also, they apparently all just float off on a cloud to go live with their robot dinosaurs because why not I guess. Still, like I said, I had fun with the show as a whole. Still, at least that final monster/robot had a surprisingly great design, which was cool.

Edit: I'm guessing the answer is no, but did they actually ever follow up on the fact that Bandora and her group are still alive, and she should be plenty pissed because they killed her freshly revived son?

(Went back and added spoiler tags when I remembered that the show may be old, but the US release is fairly new)

NeonZ

Edit: I'm guessing the answer is no, but did they actually ever follow up on the fact that Bandora and her group are still alive, and she should be plenty pissed because they killed her freshly revived son?

The Zyuranger reappear in a fairly recent movie (Kyoryuger Vs Go-Busters), but the Zyu-related enemy there was just an incarnation of hatred taking the form of a powered up Grifforzer rather than an actual returning foe.

Nudull

Banned
I need to catch up on Ghost. Has it gotten better since the
Zyuohger crossover?

Also, Ex-Aid is the most garish-looking motherfucker I've seen yet on a toku, and I love it.

delSai

Gai in Orb looked really familiar, turns out he also played Kai in Den-O. No idea how i didn't notice that earlier. Guess i'm bad at remembering faces.

Zyuohger crossover?

Not really? It had a few good moments but i wouldn't say it got better.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 27

Clip show. Meh. But considering what the next two episodes are, I'll take it!

Jeffrey

The transformation sequence in Orb (and honestly most recent Ultraman too) is way too long. Especially when he has to switch forms multiple times in a fight.

It's like the worst of end season precure.

Glad I can scrub.

NeonZ

Zyuohger crossover?

Also, Ex-Aid is the most garish-looking motherfucker I've seen yet on a toku, and I love it.

Some of Ghost's best episodes take place after that crossover (a certain pair of Alain focused episodes), but after that the show just drags on for 10 episodes with very little happening. The end game after that has been decent, but doesn't make up for its overall problems.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 27

Quiz style clip shows are a thing now, eh? Ninnin's second clip show was one, too. Eh, it was kinda fun, anyway.

But, more important, NEXT WEEK.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ex-Aid presscon stuff

Hiroki Iijima is Hojo Emu, Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

001_size6.jpg

bFn0i42.jpg

Debirudog

So I watched Ep 1 of Gokaiger.

Yeah, this show doesn't mess around. Shit already happens. Marvelous is best Red though.

Whoof though, those Rider suits still look like a mess. Hopefully it's like Gaim then! :p

7jJwrih.jpg

Brave (Heero), Snipe (Taiga), Ex-Aid (Emu)

mUhwVL3.jpg

henshin pose

I swear, I think Braves face in the henshin pose image is great, I dunno why but like, the expression looks so vague, he could be thinking so many things. "Did i leave the stove on?" "I should be the main rider." "I'm going to medical school for this!?" "I don't even like video games!"

vareon

Kamen Rider shows where the main character(s) has a clear job/setting has always been my favorites. Hopefully this ome continues the trend.

Debirudog

Gokaiger Ep 4.

I swear the monster of the week looks like they repaint of an imagjin.
Otherwise, pretty exciting Blue-centric episode. These fight scenes are great.

Now on to the Dekaranger episode.

Nope, lol.

Takeru is.... Weak. We don't really feel his dreams, ambitions, aspirations. What would he do if the entire Ganma incident did not happen?
Probably the same thing since i think an earlier episode said the original plan didnt account for him getting killed, i think most of the neo heisei riders have the generic goal of "protect everyone" except Gentarou who wants to be friends with everyone.

vareon

Probably the same thing since i think an earlier episode said the original plan didnt account for him getting killed, i think most of the neo heisei riders have the generic goal of "protect everyone" except Gentarou who wants to be friends with everyone.

All of them wants to "protect everyone", but that was a product of their goals and personality. Shinnosuke wants to be a great cop like his father and solve his father's murder, Kouta wants to find a job to support his family and friends, etc.

Or maybe it's a cultural thing, because it's hard to relate with being a "temple caretaker" or "priest" or whatever Takeru is trying to be? Medical intern is way easier to relate.

Boss Doggie

Onari is a temple dude yet he's relatable (the feeling of uselessness, being owed to guardianship, etc.)

Takeru just sucks.

WarRock

Takeru feels like the character is written as kid, actually. He is not as blank state as Kouta, but yet feels so flat thanks to the general tone of the show, it's kinda impressive, even more when he is supposed to impress all those historical dudes.

He reminds me of Yamato from Zyuohger. With some hint of Tsukasa.

Also, Ex-Aid's theme song is called 「EXCITE」by Daichi Miura. According to kamen rider general here is a sample of his work
Wowa, spot on.

So I watched Ep 1 of Gokaiger.

Yeah, this show doesn't mess around. Shit already happens. Marvelous is best Red though.

Whoof though, those Rider suits still look like a mess. Hopefully it's like Gaim then! :p
Gokaiger is non stop fun, enjoy!

Boss Doggie

Yeah even if you don't get some of their references it's still a great show.

Also translation of presscon info from kamen rider general

The name “Ex-Aid” was coined from “Extreme” and “Aid”. The protagonist is referred to as a “Doctor × Gamer” who fights against the mysterious game viruses known as the Bugster. As previously known, there will be various video game genres such as action, RPG, shooting, and racing. Each genre will be represented not only by a Kamen Rider but by various effects that will be featured in fight scenes.

Emu Hojo / Kamen Rider Ex-Aid (Hiroki Iijima)
The protagonist of the series who transforms into the titular action game Kamen Rider Ex-Aid. A pediatrics medical student working as a resident at Seito University Hospital. He is also the face of the genius gamer “M”.

Hiiro Kagami / Kamen Rider Brave (Toshiki Seto)
A physician at Seito University Hospital. He transforms into the RPG game-inspired Kamen Rider Brave. Though he’s condescending towards Emu, he’ll fight alongside him in order to annihilate the Bugster. He’s a tsundere.

Taiga Hanaya / Kamen Rider Snipe (Ukyo Matsumoto)
A young man who transforms into the gun shooting game-inspired Kamen Rider Snipe. He used to be a doctor until he was stripped of his medical license.

Haiba Kagami (Hanamaru Hataka)
A surgeon and the director of Seito University Hospital. Hiiro’s father.

In addition, the voice actor Junichi Suwabe (Bleach’s Grimmjow, Shokugeki no Soma’s Hayama Akira, My Hero Academia’s Shota Aizawa) will be the narrator for the series. The cast discussed the difficulty they’ve had with some of the medical terminology used. Hiroki mentioned that his favourite Kamen Rider series was Kamen Rider Ryuki.

delSai

I wonder if they'll actually mention real games in Ex-Aid. Like instead of just saying "Im good at games" they talk about Tekken or whatever.

Jeffrey

dude needs more wrinkles on the brow and swollen eyes to be a 'doctor'.

i do wonder how they figure out henshin poses in the writing room. Pretty much have to triple check each time to see if its not done before.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"I Platinum'd Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, I think I know what I'm doing here"
At least Bamco has a pretty extensive catalogue to cover.

Ghost 46

There's a lot of things that Toei could learn from Doctor Who. Monster design, personal stories, visiting other planets (how is it Power Rangers has done two space seasons but Super Sentai is still stuck on Earth?), yet the one thing they do learn is that awful End of Time episode and incorporate it into the final arc of Ghost. Shame on you Toei.

Hiiro Kagami / Kamen Rider Brave (Toshiki Seto)
A physician at Seito University Hospital. He transforms into the RPG game-inspired Kamen Rider Brave. Though he’s condescending towards Emu, he’ll fight alongside him in order to annihilate the Bugster. He’s a tsundere.

I have to know if that's part of the official text.

7jJwrih.jpg

Brave (Heero), Snipe (Taiga), Ex-Aid (Emu)

mUhwVL3.jpg

henshin pose

Actually, the third pic here is Kuroto Dan, president of the game-designing Genmu Corporation (played by Iwanaga Tetsuya.) I'd expect he's probably Kamen Rider Genmu.

KingDirk

Really love the hospital theme. Hope that means we have a Rider who is a bit more self-assured. Shinnosuke, Gentarou, and Shotaro are my favorite modern riders and they all had a good degree of self-confidence.

Of course, so did Wizard...(fuck if I am going to lookup his actual name)

So just saw the preview for episode 47 of Ghost
are they seriously reusing dark ghost from the movie????
Also episode 46 was ok i guess

NeonZ

I wonder if they'll actually mention real games in Ex-Aid. Like instead of just saying "Im good at games" they talk about Tekken or whatever.

The collectibles themselves are games. They're all fictional games though, so it's probably what we're getting, like "Dragon Knight Hunter" rather than "Monster Hunter". Snipe's 2nd form change comes from a game called "Jet Combat", which seems like an obvious Ace Combat reference, so I don't think we'll get actual name drops even for Namco Bandai games.

"I Platinum'd Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, I think I know what I'm doing here"
At least Bamco has a pretty extensive catalogue to cover.

Ghost 46

There's a lot of things that Toei could learn from Doctor Who. Monster design, personal stories, visiting other planets (how is it Power Rangers has done two space seasons but Super Sentai is still stuck on Earth?), yet the one thing they do learn is that awful End of Time episode and incorporate it into the final arc of Ghost. Shame on you Toei.

I think there was an interview with Dekaranger/Gekiranger's producer from many years ago that was translated and he said there that one of the guidelines for Super Sentai is that it needs to happen in the familiar modern Japan. Other planets, past and future aren't allowed at all. He also mentioned back then that there was actually nothing stopping them from making sequels to old shows, it was only a matter of staff interest. This was before we started getting the 10 years after movies too.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 46

This whole focus on Takeru and Makoto is kinda bringing what could be at least a good ending for a meh series, at least for me. Doesn't help that the villains are not that good.

And... again, all ganmeisters revived. This series reuses its monsters more than sentai uses footsoldiers, these days.

In the end, I think I'll miss Onari, Alain and Kishidan, but not much else.

Top Bottom