• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Sandfox

The one thing that has always annoyed me about Kamen Rider W is how we never got a backstory for Shotaro outside of the fact that he used to be less honorable in the past. Most of the series that came after have been better in that regard with a notable exception being Ghost where we know absolutely nothing about Takeru's life outside of being Ghost.

jwk94

The one thing that has always annoyed me about Kamen Rider W is how we never got a backstory for Shotaro outside of the fact that he used to be less honorable in the past. Most of the series that came after have been better in that regard with a notable exception being Ghost where we know absolutely nothing about Takeru's life outside of being Ghost.

I still want to see Shroud's face.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

it makes me wonder then

who was Joker

The Director's Cut ending outright shows that she's Shroud, but that makes no sense with what they wrote in the tv show afterwards,which is probably why they cut that scene in the first place.

yeah, it'd make Eternal part of the family or something and it'd go against the stuff in the show

it's sorta like Missing Ace except that one is a what-if

BTA

Saw through Ghost 42. I kinda doubted everyone saying this was bad and like... it's bad, but it's boring bad, which is even more disappointing. Like, it's not terrible; I still enjoy the cast a lot and nothing gross or outright ridiculous has happened plot-wise. It's just that, well, nothing has happened and that's almost worse, because terrible can be entertaining in its own way. 42 was a surprisingly solid episode, though! Really should have been Infinite's debut or the episode after, since they finally showed off the form's power, and... literally nothing about the emotions part of its power as worth spending time on. And even if it's not great, I'm happy I've finally gotten myself back into watching toku this much.

And then, I saw the Zyuohger and Ghost Movies early this afternoon. With pretty much 0 Japanese knowledge, mind, so I could only pick up plot beats from context and will probably go read a plot summary after I post this to fill in the rest and clarify things. Worth noting that my only knowledge was from the preview stuff in the past few episodes of Ghost; I haven't seen magazine scans or anything.

Zyuohger's was pretty simple, but fun. The villain's surprisingly entertaining and there's some nice fights. The only cameos I noticed in the ending dance were Ticket (he's really obvious) and (though I didn't know their name; just recognized the suit) Sha-Fu from Gekiranger. My takeaway: I really do have to catch up on Zyuoh now, especially with the Gokaiger stuff and The World seeming like a character I'll be into.

Ghost's was... well, there was much more of a plot, but the beats were easy to follow until things got weird at the end. Surprisingly, I was actually really into all of it! The Necrom suits are cool, even for recolors, though Dark Ghost and Zero Specters aren't as good. The fights were great and Ex-Aid's cameo was really fun; if the show's keeps at least some of the style of that fight, I'll be into it.
LEVEL CLEAR!

Random spoilery thoughts, in no particular order:
The way they got in a performance of the theme song was pretty funny; I'm surprised they didn't advertise that more? Extremer's suit is one of my favorites, especially for villains, in a really long time, and the peacock second mode is really cool and holds up surprisingly well once the fighting starts. Infinite's movie exclusive form with wings was predictable, but neat looking. They really play up Onari being a joke here, but it's consistently funny. Akari's as competent as ever, holding her own in fights alongside the heroes, and I'm even more annoyed they didn't make her a tech/science-based Rider. It felt like they were pushing towards some romantic feelings with her and Takeru, which I'm not a big fan of, but maybe that's just not knowing what was actually said between them. Adel was completely MIA and that felt kinda weird given Argos being involved, but it was probably better off for it. Makoto's dad (and... I guess Argos) dying felt like kinda big things to have happen in the movie but it's probably better that they didn't make it into the show. The stuff with Takeru's body is where I stopped being able to follow things (the only thing before that was having no idea why the Magistrate gave them Dark Ghost/Zero Specter); I really didn't expect that to show up out of nowhere and I have no idea what the ramifications of what happened are. I am starting to feel like Ghost should just keep an active counter of the number of times Takeru's died in the corner of the screen at all times now, because oops: it happened again.
I probably missed something in that thought dump. Feel free to ask about stuff but if it's not just "Did this bit look cool?" I'm probably not equipped to answer.

delSai

I picked Blade back up. Taking a short break really helped.

Also is it fair to say that Eternal is the Broly of Kamen Rider?

Boss Doggie

Wait, what about Doggie and Torin cameo in the movie?

I picked Blade back up. Taking a short break really helped.

Also is it fair to say that Eternal is the Broly of Kamen Rider?

well there was an attempt to make him "good"

random trivia - Eternal's actor is a singer and sang Drive's OP, also provided voicework for Kamen Rider 4

BTA

Wait, I forgot to mention something from the opening scene of Ghost's movie.
They're holding a party. There's a ton of food in front of everyone. Alain is still just eating takoyaki. Does... does he ever eat anything else?

Tiu Neo

Well, after Ghost, would be nice if the main character didn't die to get the last power up. You know, for variety's sake.

Super Hero Getter 2016 looking good. Can't wait for the crossover movie this year too - unless they decide to do it just vs Ninninger, then, meh.

It didn't occur to me that Bunglay not being a Deathgalien & the Gokaigers showing up were probably connected until I watched the preview at the end of ep 27...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Aw hell I catch up some other time, I'm only 5 episodes behind what's airing now.

Hmm actually this episode seems red focused seems important

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 28 / Gokaiger 5 Years After Part 1

What, a crossover episode and also important plot? I'm surprised, I thought it would be pure fanservice. I guess those are also the Bunglay/Whale episodes, huh.

That Gai scene with the ToQgers, hah. The Gokaiger making fun of Zyuohger suits was great too.

The fight between the teams was awesome, the "Let's Morphin" at the Go-Busters change was a nice touch.

Can't wait for the next episode.

--

Now, that one Deathgalien scene on the whole episode made me wonder what will be of them after Bunglay is gone. Probably that one leader's secret. Gennis... Isn't really that interesting, right now. Even if Bunglay stays for a few more episodes after Cube Whale (which I doubt will happen), his thing will probably get old sooner or later.

Boss Doggie

Pirates of the Zootopia 28

A really great and well-done crossover. Neither teams overshadowed the other, and it progressed the plot! And not only that, it really highlights future elements like how Cetas's history wasn't even recorded to Zyuland records, possibly hinting to Bard's anger?

Also how come Mario didn't notice the Zyuman sensor?

Also hooray for plastic chairs being abused again! How I missed it!

oh and ranger key 2000 ver

ZkIhZnH.jpg

Sandfox

I like how they obviously either didn't want to pay or couldn't get anyone except Marvelous for meaningful time. Next episode I'm only expecting the others to show up for transformations and possibly a farewell scene.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just caught up with everything in Zyuohger and I think the Gokaiger crossover came at an unfortunate time. The past few episodes besides the clip show were really good. Thankfully this episode was mostly an episode of Zyuohger that just happened to have a bit of Gokaiger in it. The crossover parts were done well though, when the non reds fought they didn't match up exactly which was a good thing. I was reminded of 199 heroes when the Goeiger and Gokaiger looked too similar. Here the matching colors were either a different gender, different shade, or both.

Also they showed the ToQgers so that was unfortunate. Though since their costumes always looked too damn similar to the Gokaigers I thought Gai was begging the rest of his teammates.

Marvelous being a dick works out well for these crossovers since they always end up fighting at a point.

Debirudog

Gokaiger Ep. 12.

A decent "teamwork makes us stronger" episode but the surprising thing to me is...how good the shinken Gokaioh mech looks. The mech combinations usually look tacked on but it actually looks really cool here. Better than the shinken mech itself :p

Tiu Neo

is the crossover watchable if I've not been keeping up with animal cube sentai?

Probably yes. I think you can understand most of the Zyuohger parts in this episode by context. But, be aware, this episode has some plot points for Zyuohger, so if you plan to watch it sooner or later, I'd say wait.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger + Gokaiger 28

Yyyyyeeeeeeeeessss! So good! So cool to have the Gokaigers back for a couple episodes. Marvelous is still awesome, and his chemistry with the others is on point.
Surprising that we got a major plot bomb in the episode too with Cetas and the history of Zyuland. Something tells me that's related to Bard's "betrayal".
That Super Hero Getter 2016. Can't wait until 2021 version since they swapped out "Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger" for "Super Sentai Anniversary"
That surprise ToQger cameo too.

Next week looks way too hype. 2000 episodes, holy shit.

Ghost 47

Finally finally in the endgame. I mean, we've been in endgame for like 7 episodes now but now it really feels over. It feels like the writers didn't have enough material, hence the last several episodes were really repetitive.
At least the Makoto doppleganger plot line is getting somewhere too.

Tiu Neo

Wait, Ghost is already out? O-T doing a great job those last weeks.

Re-watched Surprise Future, makes a bit more sense if you watch it while watching the series. And Drive is even better if you watch the episodes one closer to the other.

Oh, and I knew the uncle from Orb was familiar, he's also a policeman on Surprise Future.

Boss Doggie

Wait, Ghost is already out? O-T doing a great job those last weeks.

Re-watched Surprise Future, makes a bit more sense if you watch it while watching the series. And Drive is even better if you watch the episodes one closer to the other.

Oh, and I knew the uncle from Orb was familiar, he's also a policeman on Surprise Future.

it's too bad Ghost is garbage, but I guess it's better to be able to "get on" with Ghost

Boss Doggie

Yeah.

Well, at least Ghost is still better than Decade. Decade has a few bad parts, with Ghost it's just... meh.

I disagree, Decade might be bad, but it has Tsukasa and is short, so it is at least entertaining to watch

Jeffrey

decade ended bad, but it served its purpose well. Was pretty much the 'sampler plate' for the heisei KR shows.

Ended up watching a few because of an arc that was interesting (or I liked the monsters or the rider suits).

javadoze

Zyuohger 28

A Zyuohger episode with some good plot beats and just so happens to have the Gokaigers. It's actually a good way to do a crossover. Not to mention the fighting scenes this episode featuring the Gokaigers were nothing short of amazing.

I'm afraid the ZyuohWhale debut next week might overshadow the big fighting scene with the two teams, but we'll see.

Ghost 47

The main writer finally returns to wrap up the show. Though I've been pretty down on Ghost for awhile now, this was a pretty decent "calm before the storm" type episode. And we have some actual character conflicts!
Takeru got angry for once and Makoto's clone wars took an interesting turn with his clone becoming more "human" (I predict Makoto who dies in the preview is really just his clone). Finally, Alain contemplates killing Adel for Takeru.

Though none of these character plots are really that mindblowing on their own, it drives home how much of Ghost was starved for more character-driven plots.

Yeah.

Well, at least Ghost is still better than Decade. Decade has a few bad parts, with Ghost it's just... meh.

I'd still say Decade is a pretty entertaining show. A good one? Not quite, but it never gets boring with Tsukasa and the story gimmick of jumping between worlds.

delSai

The journey in Decade really was fine, some of the alternative universes they showed were fun too, i wish Blade was a bit more like it's Decade version, with Board still active and people pretty much fighting for status within Board. It's the ending that messed everything up, i enjoyed Decade but man... the end pissed me off.

Tiu Neo

I disagree, Decade might be bad, but it has Tsukasa and is short, so it is at least entertaining to watch

Yeah, but Ghost has Onari and Alain. But yeah, being short is an advantage for Decade.

The thing with Decade is that, when it was good, it was pretty cool. Hibiki, Black and RX, for example, were great! Then there were things like Kiva and (ugh) Amazon, which were horrible.

Those bad arcs, the messy plot and that ending, made the series bad for me. Didn't care much about the characters, too. Yusuke was ok, Tsukasa ranged from meh to funny, sometimes, and Natsumi was bad.

Eh, dunno. Maybe I expected too much of it, and if I went blind or without watching other KR series before, I would like it better.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 47

This Adel plot point... the way it was revealed looks more like something to make him look a bit less weak than something that was thought beforehand.

Fighting with Fake Makoto was getting boring, but him turning more and more like the true one could be interesting. Kinda like Spiderman's Clone saga, but without dragging on too much.

Sandfox

I actually liked the ending of Decade somewhat lol.

Ghost 47

This Adel plot point... the way it was revealed looks more like something to make him look a bit less weak than something that was thought beforehand.

Fighting with Fake Makoto was getting boring, but him turning more and more like the true one could be interesting. Kinda like Spiderman's Clone saga, but without dragging on too much.

I feel like they telegraphed the Makoto thing far too much this week.

Tiu Neo

I actually liked the ending of Decade somewhat lol.

I feel like they telegraphed the Makoto thing far too much this week.

It's one of those things that, maybe if it was done a few episodes earlier, could be done in a more subtle manner. Like how Kanon and Alain couldn't find out who the true Makoto was on one episode, give hints that their Makoto may be fake on another, and so on. But eh, it is what it is.

So i started watching Gokaiger, it feels a lot more childish than Kamen Rider but its pretty good so far. Gokai Yellow is bae.
Oh yeah this is also my first super sentai

vareon

Decade is a much more entertaining show if you came from following the Heisei series, where there's a rush of nostalgiela in seeing the old Henshin effects, gimmicks, etc. Great Rider vs Rider choreography also helps. There's no denying that it's a bad show, but damn if it wasn't entertaining.

So i started watching Gokaiger, it feels a lot more childish than Kamen Rider but its pretty good so far. Gokai Yellow is bae.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Debirudog

sentai is generally more light hearted though Jetman and Timeranger are a lot darker supposedly.

and yeah, Yellow kicks a lot of ass. My favorite might be green though.

Top Bottom