• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

For real. We're approaching our fourth Sentai release and still no word on Kamen Rider.
I feel it's more likely we'll get Metalder or Spielban before we get any Kamen Rider.

I was thinking about that recently. It almost feels like we will get Metalder or Spielban or even B-Fighter before any of that.

"Before there was VR Troopers there was Metal Heroes"

I guess

I'd sure as hell buy a Metalder or Spielban box set though, those were my jam in 86/87.

BTA

I don't watch many movies, to be clear, but God Speed Love (I've only seen the Director's Cut) is probably one of the weirdest I've seen. Rather, it left me feeling weird after watching in a way I can't really describe. A lot of it was nonsense in a dark setting, without actually being edgy, which I liked, but... that sure was nonsense.

Since we're talking Fourze- it was my first Rider show so I do have some bias, but it's my favorite. Goofy and fun with a lot of heart, and a really enjoyable cast. I had no points of comparison for the suits, so I was into all of them too.

vareon

I don't watch many movies, to be clear, but God Speed Love (I've only seen the Director's Cut) is probably one of the weirdest I've seen. Rather, it left me feeling weird after watching in a way I can't really describe. A lot of it was nonsense in a dark setting, without actually being edgy, which I liked, but... that sure was nonsense.

Since we're talking Fourze- it was my first Rider show so I do have some bias, but it's my favorite. Goofy and fun with a lot of heart, and a really enjoyable cast. I had no points of comparison for the suits, so I was into all of them too.

It's fun seeing people's different entry into Kamen Rider/ Super Sentai. I saw a lot of "this isn't what Kamen Rider is supposed to be" comments everytime a new Rider is revealed dating since Ryuki, 14 years ago. People started with Kabuto will look for sleek designs in Rider and disappointed when the gimmicky new ones are revealed.

It reminds me of a comment in Kamen Rider Spirits manga that "whatever your first entry to Rider is will be whatever Kamen Rider was supposed to be in your mind".

I wonder if the internet was a thing during Black RX reveal, people would go "No scarf = not true Rider" or "WTF he's not supposed to have a car".

Sandfox

That's Kabuto.

Tiu Neo

Man Black Condor seemed super cool, I kinda wanna know what happens in Jetman now.

Jetman is a somewhat unique show. It still has that 80's sentai feeling, but there are a lot of things it did that no other sentai even came close to trying, for better and for worse.

It's fun seeing people's different entry into Kamen Rider/ Super Sentai. I saw a lot of "this isn't what Kamen Rider is supposed to be" comments everytime a new Rider is revealed dating since Ryuki, 14 years ago. People started with Kabuto will look for sleek designs in Rider and disappointed when the gimmicky new ones are revealed.

It reminds me of a comment in Kamen Rider Spirits manga that "whatever your first entry to Rider is will be whatever Kamen Rider was supposed to be in your mind".

I wonder if the internet was a thing during Black RX reveal, people would go "No scarf = not true Rider" or "WTF he's not supposed to have a car".

Well, to be fair, the Showa Riders had a lot more in common between themselves than the current Riders. Black had no scarf, RX had a car, but they still had a lot in common with the previous Riders. Something like Drive would be closer to a Metal Hero show than a Kamen Rider, in the 80s.

Not that the current Riders are *that* different between themselves, they still follow the same formula between them, but at least there's more theme variety. Motorcycle Riding bug-based cyborgs can get old after some time.

delSai

Okay so i've just watched the Agito Special and Project G4:

A New Transformation was just 2 really good Agito episodes, battery exchange scene was nice. Yea, nothing special but still good. The Ash Unknown was also cool.

I enjoyed G4 as well, his Rocket Launcher was badass. I totally didn't expect Gills'
arm to be cut off
, that came out of nowhere. And the end, where Mana
sees into the future, showing Agito dying... i'm glad we did not get that ending.
The way the Unknown killed in the movie was disgusting, Agito had some crazy kills in general. Fujioka showing up for a scene was a nice guest appearance.

I liked 'em both, God Speed Love will be next.

KingDirk

This thread is making me want Ex-Aid to start already so I can discuss it with y'all. My wife has been burnt out on toku lately and I feel weird watching Rider shows on my own. Hopefully watching Ex-Aid live will assuage her worries about me going into binge mode...

This thread is making me want Ex-Aid to start already so I can discuss it with y'all. My wife has been burnt out on toku lately and I feel weird watching Rider shows on my own. Hopefully watching Ex-Aid live will assuage her worries about me going into binge mode...

I think most of us want Ex-Aid to start already because Ghost is just...well, Ghost.

Tiu Neo

Finished Go-Onger.

It's a fun series. The characters are a bit too exaggerated in the first few episodes, but they are toned down a bit later, and the show benefits from it. The partners were fun, and added to the series. The villains weren't complex at all, but fun to watch. Then there was that Idol episode, which was kinda wtf, but very funny.

I wonder how many toys this sold, must have been a lot. Three types of transforming devices, almost 30 "souls", different weapons for each member, plus something like 16 partners/mecha parts/mechas/things.

I don't know if my expectations were too low, but I liked it a lot more than I expected I would.

--

Now, to watch next... I've got very few options, I guess. GoGo V, Gingaman or Battle Fever J.

I still wanna know...why did live mans friends do that to them D:

They traded their humanity for power/knowledge. Liveman has some good villains, imo.

closer013

I'm 35 years old and watching Ghost with my fiance. I explained to her when its time to watch a new episode it feels like I'm back in middle school
being grounded

WillyFive

Finished Go-Onger.

It's a fun series. The characters are a bit too exaggerated in the first few episodes, but they are toned down a bit later, and the show benefits from it. The partners were fun, and added to the series. The villains weren't complex at all, but fun to watch. Then there was that Idol episode, which was kinda wtf, but very funny.

I wonder how many toys this sold, must have been a lot. Three types of transforming devices, almost 30 "souls", different weapons for each member, plus something like 16 partners/mecha parts/mechas/things.

I don't know if my expectations were too low, but I liked it a lot more than I expected I would.

As I understand the behind the scenes narrative; Go-Onger was such a massive financial success it created the modern Toku merchandise machine, it's concepts of 3D collectible trinkets led to Kamen Rider W and then to all the other toys that define Rider (and a few of the later Sentai ones).

Tiu Neo

As I understand the behind the scenes narrative; Go-Onger was such a massive financial success it created the modern Toku merchandise machine, it's concepts of 3D collectible trinkets led to Kamen Rider W and then to all the other toys that define Rider (and a few of the later Sentai ones).

Yeah, I can see that happening. Funny part is that I felt it was made in a more natural, less in your face way than current Kamen Rider.

KingDirk

Are you hinting of a dream based kamen rider O:

Kamen Rider Nolan. Gimmick for the season is a totem. To complete the recursion motif, uses a Kamen Rider Nolan action figure to transform. Backed up by Kamen Rider Gondry, whose plastic doodads are all carefully sculpted to look like cardboard.

So I just finished watching Kamen Rider Ichigo

Without spoiling anything I just have one thing to say, and i'm not sure this is true or not. If this is Hiroshi Fujioka final role as Kamen Rider Ichigo, I will be upset cause I feel like this was a bad farewell to the character.

Debirudog

So I just finished watching Kamen Rider Ichigo

Without spoiling anything I just have one thing to say, and i'm not sure this is true or not. If this is Hiroshi Fujioka final role as Kamen Rider Ichigo, I will be upset cause I feel like this was a bad farewell to the character.

So it's a shit movie? Disappointing.

NeonZ

I don't like how they make both villains in the movie feel incompetent one way or another. But the actual big problem is that pointless school subplot that drags the movie down to a crawl for a while. The later slow part is necessary for the plot, but the school stuff easily could have been skipped. I also don't like the director (Osamu Kaneda) and his overall work. This wasn't one of his worst movies, likely helped by there not being any past Riders aside from Rider 1 himself, but it's still pretty much tv level action without anything special.

Also, even though there's a huge marketing focus on Ichigo's "power up" armor they don't really focus on that at all in the movie. He might as well still be the old Rider 1. But I guess Inoue has never focused on power ups.

I feel even the later sections of the movie were bad i feel,
i felt the relationship between Ichigo and the girl couldve been explained better since i had no idea what kind of relationship was being shown? Like was is an teenager in love with an old man or a teenager who sees ichigo as an father figure since she had none. Honestly it felt like the former and it kind of creeped me out. Also the new bad guys plan made no sense since it was dropped half way into the movie. Honestly the best parts of the movie were the opening scene, ichigo returns, the neo heisei eyecon show case, and the credits
thats just my short thoughts on the movie though

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Super Charge 12

Interesting use of the two versions of Debo Vaacance. One in space and one on Earth. Another episode that fits both Kyoryuger and Dino Charge.
Got some more backstory for Koda, that's always welcome.

So apparently the last few episodes aired in France, and reactions have been... polarizing. Well, hopefully it won't be so bad when we get there in December.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hopefully one day we'll get a mysticism heavy Rider series that isn't bad.

At least the OST (bar no insert songs makes me sad) is always really nice with these shows, Ghost's is out and it's really nice---there's a cool rap song made of the Eyecon jingles by m.cat that's pretty tight.

NeonZ

I feel even the later sections of the movie were bad i feel,
i felt the relationship between Ichigo and the girl couldve been explained better since i had no idea what kind of relationship was being shown? Like was is an teenager in love with an old man or a teenager who sees ichigo as an father figure since she had none. Honestly it felt like the former and it kind of creeped me out. Also the new bad guys plan made no sense since it was dropped half way into the movie. Honestly the best parts of the movie were the opening scene, ichigo returns, the neo heisei eyecon show case, and the credits
thats just my short thoughts on the movie though

Regarding Nova Shocker, it depends on what you mean by "drop".
They force the government to buy their Nova Energy, but afterwards tune it up and it starts destroying everything, both technology and even the environment. Then they force the government to buy new technology that supposedly would be able to control the Nova energy and would allow them to create a nation vastly more powerful than any other one on Earth. However then... there's no follow up to that at all. The movie changes focus to Shocker and Nova Shocker going after the Alexander Eyecon, and then the Nova Shocker guys are all killed. Their plan makes sense, it just goes nowhere since they're all killed midway through during something completely unrelated to it.

Regarding Mayu and Hongo,
it's actually interesting how they avoid stuff like honorifics or any direct expression that explained their relationship, which would be very easy to drop in Japanese. Still, at least from Hongo's side, it's directly said that he was doing that for everyone, not just her, when he returns. It's only left ambiguous if she had a teen crush on Hongo or saw him as a father figure.

They force the government to buy their Nova Energy, but afterwards tune it up and it starts destroying everything, both technology and even the environment. Then they force the government to buy new technology that supposedly would be able to control the Nova energy and would allow them to create a nation vastly more powerful than any other one on Earth. However then... there's no follow up to that at all. The movie changes focus to Shocker and Nova Shocker going after the Alexander Eyecon, and then the Nova Shocker guys are all killed. Their plan makes sense, it just goes nowhere since they're all killed midway through during something completely unrelated to it.

it's actually interesting how they avoid stuff like honorifics or any direct expression that explained their relationship, which would be very easy to drop in Japanese. Still, at least from Hongo's side, it's directly said that he was doing that for everyone, not just her, when he returns. It's only left ambiguous if she had a teen crush on Hongo or saw him as a father figure.
Yeah thats what i meant by drop, and as for the other stuff about hongo, i guess i can see that but it still felt odd to me.

Tiu Neo

Eh, I'll wait for the O-T sub of 1. Don't expect too much already.

Orb 10

Didn't expect him to die so soon.

Don Nostra, that is. For one moment I thought they would leave Juggled dead for a few episodes, didn't expect him to return in the next scene.

New Ex-aid teaser with the OP theme, EXCITE

At least the OST (bar no insert songs makes me sad) is always really nice with these shows, Ghost's is out and it's really nice---there's a cool rap song made of the Eyecon jingles by m.cat that's pretty tight.

I listened to that song, and during the whole time I was thinking "wow, this guy really wants to burst out into Bomb a Head doesn't he", and then the ending happened and made my sides hit orbit.

Tiu Neo

Eh, it's far from their best, but I still liked it.

Ex-Aid's, eh, I dunno. Maybe it'll grow on me, or it's just this part that didn't go well with me.

WillyFive

Not sure why you guys are talking about the theme, you could barely hear it.

And Ghost lost me 3 episodes in, but it's theme song is one of the best in Rider.

Tiu Neo

Not sure why you guys are talking about the theme, you could barely hear it.

And Ghost lost me 3 episodes in, but it's theme song is one of the best in Rider.

Well, it's just like 10 seconds, so maybe it is a bit too soon to judge. I'll wait and see.

My favorite theme is Kiva, but Ghost is probably up there too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

so essentially I was right in that Ghost ruins Rider 1

javadoze

RKcL8I7.jpg

-Genm's gashatto (Shakariki Sports) is themed after extreme sports

-Thus Kamen Rider Genm attacks people with a neon-colored bike

Words can't describe how beautiful this is...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really makes you think if Shakariki Sports can be used by Ex-Aid too (since the color matches), Gemn does use Mighty Action X too iirc, he just transforms with Bugvisor (like Ulorder)

delSai

lol @ those Blade episodes where Hajime meets a guy that looks just like him

RKcL8I7.jpg

-Genm's gashatto (Shakariki Sports) is themed after extreme sports

-Thus Kamen Rider Genm attacks people with a neon-colored bike

Words can't describe how beautiful this is...

I love that he uses a fucking bicycle

Top Bottom