• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Debirudog

Oh god, this carranger ep is hilarious.

I like how when red racer just phases into him, Kyosuke just smacked him away. Did not expect that to happen lol.

Makes me wanna watch Carranger.

KingDirk

I like how when red racer just phases into him, Kyosuke just smacked him away. Did not expect that to happen lol.

Yo, Carranger is the absolute best. I love that episode but it doesn't even touch how great Carranger is.

javadoze

wonder if its ever possible to have a brooding silent emo Sentai Red.

Has that ever been done in its lineage?

I don't think so?

Personally I think it'd be an interesting idea to start out with a loner-type Red who fights monsters on their own, but gradually becomes more trusting and builds up a team from scratch. But then again, I guess having only one member from the start kinda undermines the whole point of Super Sentai's base concept.

Slayven

Yes. He's pretty much a classic early sentai Red. Good leader, always thinking of the best for the team, level-headed, someone the team can look up to. Kinda boring person sometimes, and that's part of the character too.

But can fuck you up if you push him

Tiu Neo

I don't think so?

Personally I think it'd be an interesting idea to start out with a loner-type Red who fights monsters on their own, but gradually becomes more trusting and builds up a team from scratch. But then again, I guess having only one member from the start kinda undermines the whole point of Super Sentai's base concept.

Again, I feel Shinkenger is kinda like that. Yeah, the team joins at the first episode, but the series takes some time to build the trust between Takeru and the team.

But can fuck you up if you push him

Oh, yes, both classic Reds and Bouken Red are like that, yeah.

Jeffrey

Takeru was like that. Wonder why I forgot him.

When's the last titular Rider that was like that? Kiva?

I forgotten if Den-0 was a loner, or just unlucky.

WillyFive

That's literally word for word the entire premise of Shinkenred.

They botched it up spectacularly in Power Rangers Samurai.

BTA

Ok so gokai silver is like actually the best.

Correct.

I love that episode so much! It's legitimately very funny, and also pretty easy to show people without them having seen the rest of the show beforehand.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Every time I see something with the Gokaigers in it it imediatelly makes me want to watch Gokaiger.

Maybe I should just do that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is the Agito G4 Movie worth watching?

I remember it being pretty fun.

By the way, if you're currently watching Agito ignore the ending---they have this scene meant to tie into the television series I guess which never happens.

NeonZ

Watch the Agito tv special before the movie, since it's meant to be a tie in for it... although it's not really very relevant.

delSai

My mind just recently got blown away when i found out Gackt played a role in that All-Riders Decade Movie. At first i was like "Wait is that really Gackt?" lol

Absolutely. Especially if you like Hikawa & Ozawa's characters.

I like Hikawa and Ozawa a lot actually, guess i'll watch it tomorrow then!

I want to watch some of the movies of the Riders i've finished so far for all those movie exclusive characters and hopefully i'm able to finish the Heisei era this year so i can check out Sentai stuff next year.

Debirudog

Didn't the TV show directly contradict the ending? If it hadn't the movie could have stayed plausibly canon and that would be really cool, serve as a combo sequel/prequel.

I don't quite remember to be honest. I wasn't exactly thinking too much on the latter half of the plot.

KingDirk

I don't quite remember to be honest. I wasn't exactly thinking too much on the latter half of the plot.

That is fair. At some point the show just became enjoyable scene-to-scene based off of the characters instead of a satisfying narrative. Bummer, too, as Tendou remains a boss rider.

Debirudog

Yes, i was almost put-off by Tendou's character but Mizushima really knows how to make him brilliant despite his asshole qualities.

What is TokuGAF's consensus of GodSpeedLove? I really liked it, thought it was way better than the latter bit of Kabuto.

I thought it okay, not the best rider movie, but it had it's moment ("MY SOUL BURNS FOR ZECT!"), of course it would have been better if...

Didn't the TV show directly contradict the ending? If it hadn't the movie could have stayed plausibly canon and that would be really cool, serve as a combo sequel/prequel.

yea, up until later on when
Tendou mentions that he got the belt from the native posing as his father and not from his future self
, the movie was thought to be in continuity of the show setting up the events that took place. Which kind of takes away from the movie.

NeonZ

Yes, the tv show gives a different origin for Kabuto's belt. God Speed Love is advertised as the "true" origin of his belt though.

I don't know why but Yonemura seems to like writing origins that contradict the main series - it happens even with his non-Rider work. Lupin Episode 0 - First Contact is an origin story that includes various references to the original tv show, while completely contradicting it, and Smile PreCure's movie focuses on the backstory of the pink Cure, similarly to an episode that aired at the time, and although the general message is the same, many details don't match.

In Lupin's case, a character does claim that the story told through the movie was mostly a lie, but the present scene is a direct sequel to a movie exclusive subplot. Kabuto's tv show had a small subplot about Hiyori's memories of the meteor fall being unreliable which was never really concluded (Tendo just says that she remembers the events wrong and that's it - no explanation for her drawing a winged savior).

Debirudog

man, Yonemura's pretty mediocre if you ask me. Toshiki's pretty messy at his worst, but at least he makes memorable characters that stick to you.

KingDirk

With most Kamen Riders having pretty messy endgames, which do you think had the fewest loose ends/most satisfying conclusions? Drive, W, and Fourze would be my choices. I feel like Gaim may fit in as well but for whatever reason I'm uncertain...

Tiu Neo

Gokaiger is the best Sentai team in my opinion.

Marvelous is my favorite Red for sure.

What is TokuGAF's consensus of GodSpeedLove? I really liked it, thought it was way better than the latter bit of Kabuto.

It's one of my favorite Rider movies. I feel the series ending would be a bit better if it followed some things on the movie.

With most Kamen Riders having pretty messy endgames, which do you think had the fewest loose ends/most satisfying conclusions? Drive, W, and Fourze would be my choices. I feel like Gaim may fit in as well but for whatever reason I'm uncertain...

Drive did a lot of foreshadowing and closed up everything pretty well. Fourze was a bit more simple, a bit cliche, but heartwarming. W... that last episode was a big problem, but if you ignore it, was pretty good.

Older, but Black's ending was pretty good, and RX's last few episodes were cool.

Debirudog

Black's last few episodes and ending is what made the show memorable to me. Otherwise, 80 percent of it was episodic children-of-the-week plotlines which got old and boring fast.

I would always like Minami Kotaro though. Him clenching his fist with those stern tense always gets me.

KingDirk

I am desperately hoping for a Black/Black RX Shout factory (or something similar) release, am not familiar with any of the fansubs available for it.

Also Fourze's story is simpler but I feel like that was to its benefit. None of the characters ended up behaving in ways just because that was what the plot demanded of them and there weren't a bunch of dropped plotlines left. But as I have said I Stan for Fourze.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I am desperately hoping for a Black/Black RX Shout factory (or something similar) release, am not familiar with any of the fansubs available for it.

For real. We're approaching our fourth Sentai release and still no word on Kamen Rider.
I feel it's more likely we'll get Metalder or Spielban before we get any Kamen Rider.

Tiu Neo

Black's last few episodes and ending is what made the show memorable to me. Otherwise, 80 percent of it was episodic children-of-the-week plotlines which got old and boring fast.

I would always like Minami Kotaro though. Him clenching his fist with those stern tense always gets me.

Fourze is my favorite Kamen Rider series. Yeah, it was lighter plot, and it's plot was mostly straightforward, save maybe for one or two points, but that was for its benefit, for sure. I hope we get another series like that someday.

For real. We're approaching our fourth Sentai release and still no word on Kamen Rider.
I feel it's more likely we'll get Metalder or Spielban before we get any Kamen Rider.

The main issue is that Saban only adapted RX, and up to now Shout Factory only subbed series that had some kind of adaptation, no?

I know that there is *some* issue with Black and RX's rights here on Brazil, dunno if the issue is worldwide. That's part of why it'll not be released on streaming services. :(

We also never got Spielban on DVD, but that was less popular than the other series we got, so may be nothing. Black was canceled before being released, but I think the excuse was sales.

Black would be one series I would probably try to import the DVDs. Love it, but the Brazilian dub has some... problems.

Reentry and the final fight are my jam. The rest is nonsense, like Kabuto TV.

W, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Agito.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see I feel Neo-Heisei is better at finishing off its series.

Debirudog

Fourze doesn't bore me because the characters are actually well-developed and Sakamoto's direction skills are always a huge welcome. Riku Sanjo, Kazuki Nakashima and Sakamoto is the dream team. It was so good, it was like Toei realized they gave us three straight good Kamen Rider seasons, that they decided to make Wizard lol.

Like, JK's episode about giving up your dreams is a pretty sober reflection of real life circumstances. Fourze is a very light hearted show but the way they handled JK's development was very mature and identifiable.

Like, Black is just repetetive through the majority of the eps because the children are often very flat characters. Black had some really cool ideas (top businesses, officials and scientist aligned with the Gorgon empire) but drops it completely for just having Kotaro solve children's problems and that's usually about it. It got boring real fast.

NeonZ

Fourze doesn't bore me because the characters are actually well-developed and Sakamoto's direction skills are always a huge welcome. Riku Sanjo, Kazuki Nakashima and Sakamoto is the dream team. It was so good, it was like Toei realized they gave us three straight good Kamen Rider seasons, that they decided to make Wizard lol.

They brought back Hibiki's main writer for Wizard after kicking him out. It was likely supposed to be a big "sorry" to the fans... but I guess what really held Hibiki together was the original producer, not the script writer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Reentry and the final fight are my jam. The rest is nonsense, like Kabuto TV.

W, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Agito.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see I feel Neo-Heisei is better at finishing off its series.

they have movies that help with closing the door on some storylines.

Top Bottom