• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lol @ those Blade episodes where Hajime meets a guy that looks just like him

I love that he uses a fucking bicycle

ULTIMATO FORMU! (dat kuuga reference)

also wait til you hear about the motorbike that becomes a kamen rider

RKcL8I7.jpg

-Genm's gashatto (Shakariki Sports) is themed after extreme sports

-Thus Kamen Rider Genm attacks people with a neon-colored bike

Words can't describe how beautiful this is...

Next level stuff right here.

NeonZ

The bicycle becomes armor for his 1st form change. I don't think we'll see much action with the bicycle by itself after its debut.

ahdurian

is it weird that during the anniversary songs I was watching the actual suits to see which ones they remade as the "female" or "male" costumes?

Boss Doggie

is it weird that during the anniversary songs I was watching the actual suits to see which ones they remade as the "female" or "male" costumes?

they even made special ones for Kyoryuger and Ninninger but they only used it for that ending!

WillyFive

they even made special ones for Kyoryuger and Ninninger but they only used it for that ending!

Which is why I think they'll be back for a Zyuohger vs Super Sentai on January, or something like it. 45 minutes is too short for a proper modern crossover, especially on an anniversary (the 40th, no less) and they bothered to get the whole Gokaiger cast 5 years later and make new suits.

Boss Doggie

well at least Ghost 48 wrapped up

also that female voice, is that from those net movies? why is she suddenly important?

also Igor falling in love with Akari is way too weird.

...I'm more excited on Ex-Aid's appearance honestly

Boss Doggie

Zootopia 2: Treasure Island 29

That was a hilarious cap of the episode. While we didn't really see much team interaction beyond the first half, they were still hilarious. Also I am glad the idea was that Yamato was holding back all along, and the others were pretty much balanced (I seriously love Tusk holding Don on his shoulders like he was about to wrestle).

WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN TO NAVI

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger + Gokaiger 29

Loving Zyuoh Whale, the outfit, the OP as fuck cannon that can break pieces of the moon, one of the best power ups.
The return of the Gokaigers was fun, now it's time to get back to the main furry plot.
Poor Navi.
Thank you for 2000 episodes Toei.

Boss Doggie

I'm actually surprised they didn't kill Bunglay now. I guess they're keeping him around for quite a bit longer.

BatDan

Ghost 48

Can I just say that Adel is like the lamest Kamen Rider villain ever?
There's a complete lack of emotional weight going on here. I didn't care for Adel's death, his defeat by a hug was lame, and making the lady from the Net Movies the final boss just feels like "We need more time to get Ex-Aid ready".
Makoto's dead except he's not his doppelganger saves him. What was even the point of that?

Hell yeah! Space Sentai!
Finally doing something Power Rangers did nearly 20 years ago.
EDIT: Oh yeah, the first one since Gekiranger to properly use the "-ranger" suffix.

Boss Doggie

Ghost was a mess all around. So many pointless stuff and has so many rushed things despite the huge amount of episodes. It's so surreal.

And huh, you guys are right - I never realized the last "ranger" name was Geki's lol

Jeffrey

wonder if they ever updated that 'earth' backdrop they've probably used since the 80s?

still seems like the same old one with gokaiger mecha transforms.

Jeffrey

speaking of the novel idea of rangers in space,

Man I do hope bandai gets around to do the In Space ship megazord for their legacy line.

Gimme that in diecast.

NeonZ

Ghost 48

Can I just say that Adel is like the lamest Kamen Rider villain ever?
There's a complete lack of emotional weight going on here. I didn't care for Adel's death, his defeat by a hug was lame, and making the lady from the Net Movies the final boss just feels like "We need more time to get Ex-Aid ready".
Makoto's dead except he's not his doppelganger saves him. What was even the point of that?

The actual main writer of the show has only written 5 episodes since episode 28 (Deep Specter's debut). And two of them were a pointless advertisement for the solo movie (that two parter with the body switching Ganmizer). Then he finally returned last week and will stay up to the next one. It feels like these three episodes should have been spread over a much longer period, but they weren't since he wasn't there to write them.

The Ghost movie apparently is getting good reviews, but focusing on writing it really ended up hurting the 2nd half of the series. They wanted to keep the main writer for both the tv show and movie, even though he couldn't really keep up with that pacing...

javadoze

Are there any redeeming qualities to Ghost? I bailed after episode 2

Nope. The suits look nice, but that's pretty much it.

The plot loses steam fast after Takeru gets Boost, the victim of the week plots are nothing noteworthy, and many plot threads either get stretched very thin or introduced too late to be interesting.

NeonZ

Are there any redeeming qualities to Ghost? I bailed after episode 2

I thought the first half of the show was good. Takeru doesn't stand out, but the plot advanced rather quickly (and they quickly dropped the awkward "hug of the episode" stuff from early in the series), and once in a while there were great fighting scenes, like Ghost's and Specter's team up against Javel. The supporting cast was fairly useful too, aside from Specter's sister. The first episodes where they made it to the Ganma world were really exciting.

The main issue was the 2nd half, like I mentioned above. There's a two parter giving some development to Alain and directed by Sakamoto which was great, both in action and story, but after that everything was fairly mediocre and it felt like the story wasn't moving even during the final form's debut (which somehow was dragged out through 3 episodes before properly fighting on screen). There were a couple of stand out episodes in the middle of this 2nd half, like one where all 15 Heroic spirits fought alongside Takeru, but generally it felt like the show wasn't going anywhere. They teased plotlines like a Specter clone without actually making them relevant to the characters, basically just repeating the same scenes over and over.

Sandfox

That's a shame as I was digging the design.

Is it better than Wizard at least? I've watched most of the heisei riders (outside of Hibiki) and I felt wizard is the weakest entry so far

Wizard has better characters, story, designs, and music lol. Ghost is probably the worst modern Rider series, despite having a cool concept.

EDIT: I forgot to mention fight scenes which is one of Wizard's few strengths and a big weakness for Ghost.

WillyFive

Can't wait to see what the Sentai art team comes up with for this theme. I love Fourze (and is by far the superior show), but Megaranger did the concept better in terms of aesthetics.

Wizard has better characters, story, designs, and music lol. Ghost is probably the worst modern Rider series, despite having a cool concept.

EDIT: I forgot to mention fight scenes which is one of Wizard's few strengths and a big weakness for Ghost.

They're pretty much equal.

tumblr_m8eo40VU1K1qasjjbo1_500.gif

Tiu Neo

Sentai 2000/ Zyuohger 29 / Pirates vs Furries 2

Whale looks cool too, with the long "coat". Wish that rumour that the other members could change too was true, but eh, it would be strange.

Everything Luka and Sela, and Gai and Misao was great. The all-red Gokai change was kinda random, but I'm glad they remembered Flashman existed. Wish the Gokaiger got a bit more screen time, but eh, who knows. There is the vs Super Sentai movie, I guess.

And oh, I want to know more about that post-Gokaiger story that was hinted. Well, if they got the whole team together again, there is hope.

I expected Bunglay to die this episode, I guess not.

And that ending, heh. Next episode looks funny, too.

Ghost 48

Wtf, Igor.

That Makoto solution was... eh, ok? Adel was a weak villain.

Big bad showed up. Next episode is last and then one special, or there are two/three more? Will there be a special?

NeonZ

I never got the love for Wizard's fighting scenes. They were generally so one sided there just wasn't much to them. The only ones I really remember enjoying were the Wizard vs Phoenix match ups and then Wizard vs White Wizard near the ending.

vareon

What is the point for the entire Makoto clone subplot?
Where is Takaiwa Seiji and Javert? Did they become Adel?

Ghost is like a reverse Kamen Rider plotting, where the plot advances in the first half of the series but went nowhere in the second half. The second countdown to Takeru's death doesn't even mean anything.

Was that big CGI thing reused from thr movie? If not, props to them for doing a giant CGI final battle.

NeonZ

What is the point for the entire Makoto clone subplot?

The "point" was what was shown in these last two episodes, the copy gained humanity to the point of sacrificing himself for Makoto. The main issue is that due to the development only coming in these last two episodes (with the return of the main writer), with all those other episodes just showing it as a personality-less copy attempting to kill Makoto, it all feels pointless.

Where is Takaiwa Seiji and Javert? Did they become Adel?

Javert was walking around in the real world. He wasn't affected, but didn't know what was going on either when people started to turn into Adel. The trainer played by Seiji got turned into an Adel copy too once he questioned him.

Was that big CGI thing reused from thr movie? If not, props to them for doing a giant CGI final battle.

The physical suit is a movie repaint, but the big CGI is new.

BatDan

The "point" was what was shown in these last two episodes, the copy gained humanity to the point of sacrificing himself for Makoto. The main issue is that due to the development only coming in these last two episodes (with the return of the main writer), with all those other episodes just showing it as a personality-less copy attempting to kill Makoto, it all feels pointless.

Exactly this.
All his scenes for like 13 episodes were "Fight me" "You'll never win" "Fight me" "You'll never win" "Fight me" "You'll never win" and then suddenly "Oh it seems I have a heart now, I'll give my life for the real deal."

Top Bottom