• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

WarRock

Ghost 35-48
Ghost is the Gundam 00 of the Rider franchise. Takeru is the worst lead. Girl who called him annoying is the best victim of the week.

And there's one more episode somehow.

Sandfox

Ghost is the Gundam Age of Kamen Rider, while the 00 would probably be Kiva or something else from that era.

Oh I haven't watched Ghost at all, y'all got Wizard'd?
Ghost is worse in every way except probably the gimmick, with eyecons being better than the rings.

NeonZ

I liked the 1st half of Ghost. Takeru was never a charismatic lead, but the plot and status quo was constantly moving and the revelations and shifts kept the show dynamic enough. I also liked the Rider vs Rider stuff, alongside Rider vs Ganma Superiors. The first battle where Specter easily beats Ghost but he grabs onto the eyecon anyway, the first team up between Specter and Ghost, Necrom debuting and being shown to be completely overpowered, even showing them up when an episode apparently was setting up his loss. The first incursion into the Ganma world with the soldiers everywhere also was pretty exciting at the time...

However, this second half has been a disaster. Ghost's main writer was focused on the summer movie and could barely write for the tv show, basically not touching the tv show for a long time after Deep Specter's debut, but they still kept him as the "main writer" and so the show basically went nowhere. The episodes where Necrom finally joined the heroes, right Deep Specter's debut, were great, but right after that the show fell on its face, with even the final form debut feeling pointless since it was clear that the secondary writers had their hands tied in many ways.

Then, more than 2 months later Ghost's writer returns... to write a pointless 2 parter advertising the movie, only to disappear again for more than a month, finally returning for 3 really rushed and sloppy episodes where almost every plotline has an underwhelming resolution since they barely moved before these 3 episodes and now they all feel rushed and unfulfilling.

The idea of making the main antagonists for the 2nd half of the show the robot-like Ganmizer also was really faulty in the end - if they were real characters, a more episodic structure still could be carried by their personalities and rivalries with the heroes, but they were just a single machine-like personality in spite of there being 15 of them, which really doesn't work well when coupled with the lack of story development.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 30

Hm, villain plot is getting more interesting, finally. About time the Deathgallien did something.

That scene with Misao fishing Sela, so good.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ghost is the Gundam Age of Kamen Rider, while the 00 would probably be Kiva or something else from that era.
What, by "the Gundam 00 of Kamen Rider" you mean "the first half was alright to good, but the second half sucked. the designs got worse as the series went on, and the movie was the worst thing ever"? Jeez, I'm not watching Kiva then.

Ghost is worse in every way except probably the gimmick, with eyecons being better than the rings.
Yup. I suffered through the boring and asspully Wizard, but Ghost is something much worse - it's boring and asspully and overstaying its welcome. Should have ended ten episodes ago.

Oh, and while Haruto was a charisma-free zone in humanoid form, Takeru is unbearable. At least Haruto tried to be cool. The secondary Riders were the best things in both series, and should have been the mains.

vareon

It's too bad that Ghost has to be compared with Wizard, which is our lowest bar for Kamen Rider...but yeah.

"Middling" is my word to describe it. Very few things in Ghost felt impactful, despite there was actually a lot happening. Takeru's second 99 days countdown might as well not be there, it was just an arbitrary number thrown in the beginning of each episodes. The two "main" villains interact very little despite being on the same faction. There are probably endless points to write, being the series is still fresh of our mind to nitpick, but that might seem unfair.

I think its biggest sin to me is that the series never made me believe that Takeru was a hero. For a superhero series that's about the biggest sin you could ever make.

Oh well, hopefully Ex-aid will be better. An established setting (hospital), Rider with actual profession, and multiple Riders from the start are all good checkmarks in my book.

WillyFive

I don't watch the show, but one of the reasons I like Toku so much is the hype henshin sequences. Ghosts' transformation sequences are all awful, kiddy, and poorly animated.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
It's a huge shame as I feel like Ghost has an interesting design.

Second time (first being Hibiki) I'm skipping a series judging by the responses here

vareon

Second time (first being Hibiki) I'm skipping a series judging by the responses here

TokuGAF has me who will defend Hibiki to death though, lol. Not sure if anyone here is a fan of Ghost.

WillyFive

The first few episodes of Hibiki are pretty cool though, same for Kabuto. Both have insane promise and have fantastic style that I wish other Rider shows would continue. Too bad about what happens to both of them as the show goes on though....

WarRock

I strongly disagree with this lol. Everything people hated or complained about in Wizard is worse in Ghost.
Nah. I may give you that Ghost had worst villains - thanks to Gremlin -, but that's it.

Oh, and while Haruto was a charisma-free zone in humanoid form, Takeru is unbearable. At least Haruto tried to be cool. The secondary Riders were the best things in both series, and should have been the mains.
Worst thing about Haruto is that, every now and then, he would get some quirks and be really fun (the school episode, the days he would pick on Shunpei with his finger-gun, episodes where he would joke about himself and his donuts, etc) but that was random as hell.

It's too bad that Ghost has to be compared with Wizard, which is our lowest bar for Kamen Rider...but yeah.

"Middling" is my word to describe it. Very few things in Ghost felt impactful, despite there was actually a lot happening. Takeru's second 99 days countdown might as well not be there, it was just an arbitrary number thrown in the beginning of each episodes. The two "main" villains interact very little despite being on the same faction. There are probably endless points to write, being the series is still fresh of our mind to nitpick, but that might seem unfair.

I think its biggest sin to me is that the series never made me believe that Takeru was a hero. For a superhero series that's about the biggest sin you could ever make.
Basically this. Besides bad teeth guy and Alain, every character grew and did something and felt more of a lead than Takeru. That one episode where he "died" again and most of it was focused on the supporting cast was entertaining. Heck, the apprentice monks had more charisma at the end.

It doesn't help that the last 10 episodes feel the same. I'm so damn tired of hearing "You/we gotta focus on what you/we can do" and people turning their backs to enemies shooting random shit so they protect another character.

Sandfox

What, by "the Gundam 00 of Kamen Rider" you mean "the first half was alright to good, but the second half sucked. the designs got worse as the series went on, and the movie was the worst thing ever"? Jeez, I'm not watching Kiva then.

Yup. I suffered through the boring and asspully Wizard, but Ghost is something much worse - it's boring and asspully and overstaying its welcome. Should have ended ten episodes ago.

Kiva is decent enough, but it suffers from Inoueisms.
Nah. I may give you that Ghost had worst villains - thanks to Gremlin -, but that's it.

Worst thing about Haruto is that, every now and then, he would get some quirks and be really fun (the school episode, the days he would pick on Shunpei with his finger-gun, episodes where he would joke about himself and his donuts, etc) but that was random as hell.

Basically this. Besides bad teeth guy and Alain, every character grew and did something and felt more of a lead than Takeru. That one episode where he "died" again and most of it was focused on the supporting cast was entertaining. Heck, the apprentice monks had more charisma at the end.

It doesn't help that the last 10 episodes feel the same. I'm so damn tired of hearing "You/we gotta focus on what you/we can do" and people turning their backs to enemies shooting random shit so they protect another character.
I don't really see how Makoto, Kanon, Akari, or Onari have changed over the series. I would argue Alain changed more than they all did lol.

I can't really think of anything Ghost has over Wizard other than the fact that eyecons > rings.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Parka Ghost getting their own personalities was neat but underutilized---the episodes where they posses folks were the best moments and that should've been their gimmick since the beginning.

Slayven

One thing you noticed about Ghost was he does a little dance when putting on a parka. They should have pushed that and had it for every change. Give them a little personalty

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Heck, I'm sorry. Meant Adel, not Alain.

I still stand by that Adel is the worst main KR villain in a long time. Then again I haven't seen anything pre-Double (I should get on some of them).
He was just boring and generic. Not entertaining in any way.

vareon

While I'll say Wizard was a wasted potential, I can't say the same of Ghost. Maybe the Hero spirits thing didn't appeal me much?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still stand by that Adel is the worst main KR villain in a long time. Then again I haven't seen anything pre-Double (I should get on some of them).
He was just boring and generic. Not entertaining in any way.

Actually I think a lot of the pre-Double shows suffered from rather weak or unfocused villains, it's one element I think the newer seasons nail a bit better.

Until Ghost, that is.

It's disappointing coming off Drive which had, in my opinion, amazing villains to the point you really felt for all of them, bar Banno, by the end.

I strongly disagree with this lol. Everything people hated or complained about in Wizard is worse in Ghost.

Looks like I can continue to skip Wizard then, eh?

I've come to the conclusion that Ghost should have been told from Alain's perspective and gotten rid of the Ganmeisers. That would have made for a far better show than what we got. Takeru is pretty Ghost's main issue, boringness, personified.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Adel was really lame for a villain.

Pre-Decade was more focused on the conflict rather than the villains themselves, that's why you end up with stuff like last minute villains (hi Den-O!).

Catching up on Drive. Why was Chaser being a Rider a plot?

Gives a nice connection to Mr. Belt, the Roidmudes, and the tech.
Also Chase becomes a Rider again.

vareon

eCrHdiV.jpg

Hey, at least he had fun.

WarRock

Yeah Adel was really lame for a villain.

Pre-Decade was more focused on the conflict rather than the villains themselves, that's why you end up with stuff like last minute villains (hi Den-O!).
Tbh, OOO and W are kinda guilty on the "last minute villain asspull" territory too.

Debirudog

OOO's final villain appeared early on though.

And I agree, W really didn't need it. Perfect villains they had with Ryubee, Saeko and Wakana.

Boss Doggie

Tbh, OOO and W are kinda guilty on the "last minute villain asspull" territory too.

never felt that in OOO though

but for W yeah I agree, I feel they offed the true final villain a bit earlier, I guess they wanted to tie up loose ends

with that said I'd like to pretend the last episode didn't exist

Debirudog

speaking of which...I have to say regarding the villains of Gokaiger.

I think Basco from Gokaiger would have made an excellent final villain. Dude definitely made it personal and he was often far more of a serious threat than nearly everyone from the Zangyack empire.

Tiu Neo

Ghost had this feeling of "things will start happening now" the whole series, but when they happened, it was almost always underwhelming. The Ganma were not manacing, and the constant reuse of monsters didn't really help the series.

Eh, maybe it's better if you watch it back to back, dunno... but even that won't save Takeru and Makoto being boring ass characters.

I think Basco from Gokaiger would have made an excellent final villain. Dude definitely made it personal and he was often far more of a serious threat than nearly everyone from the Zangyack empire.

I think the Zangyack are pretty weak as villains, but eh, it kinda worked because they could get the MOTW based on the series being tributed that week. Basco was pretty good.

Basco was the perfect foil for Marvelous.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 49

Lame final boss was lame. Lame final battle was lame. Screw the power of love.
Eadith was in the temple the whole time?! How did they not notice? Admittedly, the twist that Yurusen was a cat all along was amusing.

Ghost could have been so much more. There were some high moments (Alain's turn to good being one), but it draaaaaaaagged. Takeru sucked, Makoto kept jobbing, there was so much repetition, felt like there were too many characters, some that had potential (Alia being a Pink Necrom) but were wasted. What even was Takeru's life goal? What was even the point? This could have been cut down to 34 episodes. Alas, we need the year-round episodes unless a special circumstance like Decade happens.

I know this wasn't the last episode, but next week is a crossover that will probably mean very little. Bring on Ex-Aid, hopefully that stays interesting.

Boss Doggie

I thought it was confirmed they were human but alien. It's no stranger to Sentai after all (Flashman).

And man, Ghost's finale was a bore.

Top Bottom