• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
the sponsors and SHT segments are fucking hilarious

jjhtia.gif

jxdaqw.gif

I fucking hate Scott Pilgrim

that sht panel looks straight out of nick arcade

javadoze

The audio for the opening "Excite" is out, with rough subs. Not bad. Feels like they're trying to do an Ex-Aid>Excite pun here.

Eh. Definitely not one of my favorite openings (comparable to Life is Showtime, maybe less good). Really curious to see how this song will translate into an eventual orchestral/ballad version though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Watching the TV-N sub will replicate the experience of playing a PS1-era localized JRPG!

I like Life is Showtime, the MV for it is weird as shit, though.

(gifs)

I won't share the action, but man this ep is promising.

Also they actually do the video game aidop and video sfx really well unlike some garbage movie (Scott Pilgrim *cough*), helps that it doesn't have terrible protags and the video game aspect is actually important to the plot unlike said garbage movie

Namco has been a part of Bandai for several years now, so they have no excuse not to get the gaming style right.

As for Scott Pilgrim, anybody who told you that it was supposed to be about gaming was full of it, the gaming references and manga inspiration are just a flourish, SP is mainly about two heavily flawed people learning to stop dragging others down with their bullshit. It's more apparent if you read the comic, because the movie crams 6 volumes worth of content into one sitting which causes a lot of details to get scrubbed out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The music listed on the DoReMiFa cabinet at the end of Ex-Aid all references past Hesei Riders, "Climax High" is written in romaji so I had a hint this might be the case...

5aCkPj7.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Even in spite ignoring the gaming references I think the movie was bland. Rushed yeah? But the plot was asinine with a whiny, wimpy character. There are character flaws that the character develop with, and there are flaws that are merely a checklist.

Also the comic never interested me because of the horrendous artstyle that didn't click with me and I notice is taking over most webcomics. Then again it's some sort of sacred cow for geeks... when fucking Speed Racer movie isn't.

but this is tokugaf, I shouldn't really drift away from the topic at hand.

ANYWAY, I like the closing eyecatch. No "show off collectibles!" like in Drive, OOO, Ghost, or Gaim. Just the ep ends with a static that turns into an ominous message.

pbCpaqk.jpg

WarRock

I liked a Life is Showtime cover, but for the life of me can't remember who did it.

If they could sit through Ghost then they can do Ex-Aid.

Though who else is subbing Ex-Aid, other than TV-Nihon?
Looks like Aesir is doing it, from Ignis' reply. Alkaid, MegaAnon and Caphi, I am guessing.

Boss Doggie

there's aesir but I'm worried what they'll do

I mean, I get Ornac for Gridon, but then Wärring Driver happened and it turns out it's named after a character. Rather than correcting this they go all out and changed Ryoma Sengoku to Wärren Statesman.

Boss Doggie

oh yeah they have Mighty Action X plushies

KM8vbge.jpg

RIP Magenta.

Also Boss Doggie really is a mega weeb.

No it's not about weaboo-ism. Just well... I mean the show is very Japanese-y in motif, so sengoku driver would be fine. It's not a wordplay like Guridon (donguri = acorn, hence ornac) and then later on the driver is named after a character, so it got worse by then.

reminds me of Gobuster Oh being translated to Gobuster King... then Gobuster King gets announced lol

Mind you I'd support that than TVN.

Wasn't that about Gaim? The guy he's replying to is protected, so we got no context.

Magenta vanished?

Sou Da

oh yeah they have Mighty Action X plushies

KM8vbge.jpg

No it's not about weaboo-ism. Just well... I mean the show is very Japanese-y in motif, so sengoku driver would be fine. It's not a wordplay like Guridon (donguri = acorn, hence ornac) and then later on the driver is named after a character, so it got worse by then.

reminds me of Gobuster Oh being translated to Gobuster King... then Gobuster King gets announced lol

Mind you I'd support that than TVN.

I meant your harshness on Scott Pilgrim whilst praising mediocrity like Pokemon XY, Magenta should have backed down from the sengoku stuff the minute we found out t was a name.

Boss Doggie

don't we have other groups too, like imagination station and the like? what happened to those?

also Gamer Driver Ver 2 is confirmed for January apparently

I meant your harshness on Scott Pilgrim whilst praising mediocrity like Pokemon XY, Magenta should have backed down from the sengoku stuff the minute we found out t was a name.

better to be mediocre (which I disagree, yeah XY isn't an outstanding anime in the grand scheme of things, but it's best on what Pokemon has to offer) than garbage :^)

Also I'd argue an american work mimicking a manga style for no reason than "style" is more weaboo-ish

javadoze

Some group called ExciteSubs popped up, so there's that. Even then, I can see why people aren't quite ready to commit to subbing a weekly 50 episode show (especially after Ghost).

I mean, I get Ornac for Gridon, but then Wärring Driver happened and it turns out it's named after a character. Rather than correcting this they go all out and changed Ryoma Sengoku to Wärren Statesman.

I'd love to see that happen a second time.

"Well hello there, I'm the creator of the Gamer Driver, but you can call me Mr. Gamer."

NeonZ

Nah, that was just a 4chan joke. They did keep "Warring" as his surname rather than just going with Sengoku though.

Tiu Neo

Hurricanger had some problems, but still was pretty good. If anything, it's worth watching for Shurikenger.

Just ignore that 10 years after exists.

NeonZ

I'll never get why most of the fansubbing community seems to love Sentai more than Rider, especially considering how the amount of discussion and downloads seems to show that Rider receives more attention than Sentai. I'm not talking about one or two people specifically, it's just a general trend somehow. You'd just think that by averages it wouldn't turn out like that.

WarRock

Well, O-T does have tons of projects. If they close up a couple while Ex-Aid is airing, that's good.

I hope Excite is decent and fast.

If not... I wonder if there are any good PT-BR subbers.
Gustavaum himself was part of a pt-br sub group. I remember Decade, Gaim (?) and some Digimon stuff? Not sure if it still exists.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why do I get the feeling this will be a Gaim situation again? OT passing over it leads to an amazing show. Probably being optimistic.

Hopefully that Excite subs will do a decent job at least.
At least with no KR, they can finish Timeranger and Dekaranger. Maybe. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Shout Factory put out an official Timeranger DVD by the time they finish.

Tiu Neo

Gustavaum himself was part of a pt-br sub group. I remember Decade, Gaim (?) and some Digimon stuff? Not sure if it still exists.

I'll ask. Most pt-br subs I watched, at least for toku, are TV-N level or worse, but eh, maybe I just didn't have luck.

delSai

Gotta combobreak the Ex-Aid-subs talk here for a minute.
Out of Kiva, Ryuki and Faiz, which one is the least dark, most positive/feel good?

WarRock

I mean, every year they say that if they enjoy it then they'll do it. After some duds in a row (not going to name any names here...) one can understand not giving the benefit of doubt for Ex-Aid and the next sentai.

The bigger question is: what about Amazons S2?

Top Bottom