• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

shaowebb

Ex-Aid 01
Ok, sure. That was fun. Besides the giant meatball monster that belongs in Clayfighters.

Love the sounds effects and the Rider Kick.

I think you'll like Drive.

Oh I watched all of Drive as it was airing :)

I got a nice Kamen Rider Chaser at a local convention this week alongside a Auto Vajin and Apollo Geist figure.

I just skipped Ghost when it was airing. Sounded bad all around for having the 2 episode, Focus on the NPC throw away character problems setup. Thats what killed Wizard in terms of pacing and character development. Only time I saw it work was honestly W and it had a lot of other stuff goin on most times.

Here's hoping the Ex Aid alt forms look cooler. The dude looks super doofy.

WarRock

Ex-Aid 01

The monster and foot soldiers (wtf, chickenheads?) really look sentai-like.
The monsters apparently will change appearance based on the boss. This one was cooking based (did you notice that he said spice up and is named Salty? Oh, the puns never stop.)

Oh I watched all of Drive as it was airing :)

I got a nice Kamen Rider Chaser at a local convention this week alongside a Auto Vajin and Apollo Geist figure.

I just skipped Ghost when it was airing. Sounded bad all around for having the 2 episode, Focus on the NPC throw away character problems setup. Thats what killed Wizard in terms of pacing and character development. Only time I saw it work was honestly W and it had a lot of other stuff goin on most times.

Here's hoping the Ex Aid alt forms look cooler. The dude looks super doofy.
Ah =)

To be honest, I am ok with Ex Aid design already. Whatever happened with most people between Gaim's debut and its first episodes that never happened to me, did happen with Ex Aid. It probably helps that he looks DAMN good in motion and they started the episode with a night scene and lights up eyes. Even though the pupils look purely derpy and not badass at all.

vareon

If Mighty was supposed to be a red blood droplet, and Ex-aid was based on Mighty, was he supposed to be based on...blood? Maybe Ex-aid's final form will be white. You know, white blood cells and all that.

The Level 1 fight was so flashy and Level 2 fun so cool that I have a hard time believing the fights will maintain half of its energy in its teen episodes. Level 1 forms will probably be the first victims.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 32

Really fun episode, especially the "back-to-back" fight. Now that's using team work.
Excellent development for both Tusk and Misao. Really coming into their own. That savagery at the end though involving Yamato. Hot damn.

Next week:
DOSUKOI!

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid 1

That was certainly interesting. Premise has me hooked. Doctor drama + video games.
Both Ex-Aid designs are weird, but if I learned to accept Fourze, I can accept this.
That ending though... the fuck?
Mighty Action X looks better than Mighty No 9.

Excite seems like a decent replacement for OT. Could work on the timing a bit. Hopefully they pull through.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The monsters apparently will change appearance based on the boss. This one was cooking based (did you notice that he said spice up and is named Salty? Oh, the puns never stop.)

He's also ironically some sort of slug monster---or his arm is at least.

Jeffrey

lol why is the game footage so low res :p

Maybe kids in japan haven't played HD games before.

wonder how often we will see the chibi form. Seems mostly for CG battles.

I do enjoy the more 'combo' based combat. Wonder if we will see some fighting game systems in play with rider vs rider, ala parrying and guard breaks and what not.

javadoze

lol why is the game footage so low res :p

Maybe kids in japan haven't played HD games before.

wonder how often we will see the chibi form. Seems mostly for CG battles.

I do enjoy the more 'combo' based combat. Wonder if we will see some fighting game systems in play with rider vs rider, ala parrying and guard breaks and what not.

Confirmed: Brave will exclusively fight in RPG menus.

Mighty Action X is going to bomb on console in Japan, there's no market for action platformers on PS4, etc. Should have been a 3DS game.

Tiu Neo

At least W's chief was funny for the first couple episodes, until her thing got old and repetitive. That thing at the ending was just annoying and weird.

But, except for that, it was a solid start.

Oh, cool. I noticed the boss theme, and how he changed the chickenhead clothes. I wonder if their heads will change, since the chickenheads also were on the Ghost episode.

Mighty Action X is going to bomb on console in Japan, there's no market for action platformers on PS4, etc. Should have been a 3DS game.

Mighty Action X will save the console market on Japan.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
well apparently the cartridges in the setting ARE the gashats, so they could probably just pick up one from their gamestop if they need to

vareon

Is that the plot of Ex-Aid? GENM will mind control everyone in Japan to stop using smartphones and portables and make them buy consoles?

The movie evil rider will be based on Mobile games right?

Genm's plan is to distribute free smartphones to children where they can play gacha-based games with their soul.

I'm calling it.

Edit: Huh.

30G0UYB.jpg

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

W's detective based stories lent itself well to the 2 parter format. Then they copied that for the next 3 shows and it sucked.

shaowebb

Just watched Ex Aid 1.

Da fuck did I just see? I can't decide whether its bad or amazing. The campiness is super out there, but its really fun like Fourze or the lighter moments in W. I think I'll keep going with this. If nothing else they seem to have a fun setpiece of plot elements in place after only 1 episode to build up an interesting story.

My god those effects and fight scenes though...
W's detective based stories lent itself well to the 2 parter format. Then they copied that for the next 3 shows and it sucked.

Difference is that W had this enormous underlying plot that was also slowly revealed as a backdrop to the 2 parter stories as they played out. All the 2 parter stuff was secondary most of the time to the background movements of the villains, everyone's secret past, and just how things were playing out in those stories. The following shows struggled with it. Fourze did okay, but Wizard just plain didn't have anything outside of the 2 part stuff. Most it had was potential with Beast's chimera eating his soul if he ran out of things to fight and the girl needing energy, but they blew through those plots super fast and wasted potential to keep the show interesting by writing more developments around them.

Slayven

Only thing about Ex-Aid I didn't like was the Director, I can see what they are going for in him, but I don't think the actor is doing it right

vareon

People disappearing out of screen with the smallest puff of smoke, complete with nobody in the scene actually tried to search or chase anything, will forever be my pet peeve.

I think Wizard was full of that, because they need two-parters with the same monster somehow.

That, and a "search for someone by randomly walking and shouting" scene.

Slayven

People disappearing out of screen with the smallest puff of smoke, complete with nobody in the scene actually tried to search or chase anything, will forever be my pet peeve.

I think Wizard was full of that, because they need two-parters with the same monster somehow.

That, and a "search for someone by randomly walking and shouting" scene.

Or missing rider kicks, that shit annoys me too end. Did OOOs ever land one?

Only thing about Ex-Aid I didn't like was the Director, I can see what they are going for in him, but I don't think the actor is doing it right

They're doing that dumb quirky frame-repeating thing that happened a lot in Drive, I was hoping we'd never see that again.

On the bright side, I've been comparing the Excite subs to the Japanese captions of Ex-Aid 01 and looks like we'll be in good hands this year as long as releases stay consistent.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's kinda scary Genm Corp has the monopoly of video games.

They're doing that dumb quirky frame-repeating thing that happened a lot in Drive, I was hoping we'd never see that again.

On the bright side, I've been comparing the Excite subs to the Japanese captions of Ex-Aid 01 and looks like we'll be in good hands this year as long as releases stay consistent.

Only complaints really are a few stiff sentences, but yeah they've been doing great. And the good thing is that they're open to feedback.

WarRock

Really? It's... an upgrade, I guess.
Yeeeeep.

How many monsters are on those soaps?

Also she seems to be very proud of her ass.
I really wish I knew enough about foreign TV to properly explain to you how much of an upgrade this is. Though it's also kinda similar, teenager actors with no experience in a teenager soap opera on the biggest network. Like 2% eventually become staple actors in TV.
As far as I looked, she got that fit for the PR role, which is very impressive.

Top Bottom