• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

BTA

I'm so happy about this. Bless Ex-Aid.

After a few minutes it did click that, right, of course, Bandai Namco, of course it would Actually Be Pac-Man, but still, they went for it and I'm amazed.

Sou Da

Why doesn't Toei get companies to pay for the ad privilege of their games becoming gashats?

They can up the prices for mid season power up and final form.

NeonZ

Still don't like the song, but the opening is good. Reminds me of...

Yep, that. I expected something a bit less serious, from the series visuals.

Wait... PACMAN is the villain on the Ex-Aid movie? Or just another ally? Because it would be funny seeing him go all WAKAWAKAWAKA on the riders.

It's the villain. "5 warriors rise to face to the Ultimate Lifeform that invades the world"

BTA

Why doesn't Toei get companies to pay for the ad privilege of their games becoming gashats?

They can up the prices for mid season power up and final form.

I'd be into a series of Legend Gashats that are actually old games instead of old Riders.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know how they'll top Pacman?

SEGATA SANSHIRO x KAMEN RIDER 1!

Too bad it will never happen.

javadoze

So we're having a movie wars Megamax-type teamup? Sounds hype.

...Of course, now I'm wondering if they're actually going to bring the actors for Wizard, Gaim, and Drive back.

You know how they'll top Pacman?

SEGATA SANSHIRO x KAMEN RIDER 1!

Too bad it will never happen.

I can almost imagine a gag scene where Emu and Takeru meet Segata Sanshiro and Takeru mistakes him for Takeshi Hongo.

NeonZ

So we're having a movie wars Megamax-type teamup? Sounds hype.

...Of course, now I'm wondering if they're actually going to bring the actors for Wizard, Gaim, and Drive back.

If they were suit-only, I don't see why it'd be just those three. The poster also highlights them way too much compared to the background shots that suit-only Riders got in previous movie posters.

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0086618

This news report also specifically mentions story points about them - like how Gaim isn't on the planet anymore and Drive doesn't have Mr.Belt, but they go back to action due to the new crisis.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
2 Random things:

Did you guys watch the Aquabats Super Show? It's basically toku complete with monster suits.

We got the Game Driver early this year, was kind of shocked the actual belt itself has no sort of battery power at all. It's all inside the Gashettes (Which makes me wonder why the thing was almost 70 dollars compared to the previous year's belts that had much more complicated mechanisms).

Anyway, Game Driver is way cooler than the Ghost belt. SO FAR I'm liking Ex-aid, but there are some weird (bad) scenes with women in them. IE, whats her name the digital idol, and RPG Rider coming out with emotionless women who bend down to hand place his game driver on his crotch.

vareon

Do they sell candy toy version of the Gashats? I usually buy the candy toy versions of these trinkets, but with the Gashat holding all the electronics for the driver I'm not really sure.

YGPROZj.jpg

That was meant to be an operation room thingy, no? Still a bit weird but I can't imagine they do this often.

Boss Doggie

Zoo-mo 33
Zyuohger comedy ep. Nothing much stand out but it's pretty hilarious and that fucking "I played dead" scene is snappy as fuck. Dat next ep teaser though

Dragon Tales 02
Yeah definitely medical drama material here. Brave is snazzy and Ex-Aid doesn't want of his shit. And I like how it's Emu who is instigating the rivalry than the other one, usually the main rider is passive about this.

Also something I want to use for Kickstarter because it's hilarious
skRIrq0.jpg

9c1XIEa.jpg

also this shot, with Dan and his... uh... "curious" desk

zyheyHA.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 33

Fun little filler episode. Those sumo terms though... but I guess that's one thing that can't be helped.

Ex-Aid 2

I imagine they'll find a way around the whole infection thing since I can't see Toei wanting to do a CGI monstrosity every week. Plus, they'll likely skip to Level 2 when the Level 1 toys get old.
So far I'm liking it Ex-Aid. Hopefully it stays consistent.

Boss Doggie

Pallad is Kamen Rider Genm huh? The hints of "puzzle" (apparently Genm's upgrade is puzzle-themed) and "I'll say hi to them" makes it sound like he is Genm.

Technically the E is a different color as well.

huh, always thought it was just a shadow

Sou Da

I forgot how awful /m/'s opinions of anything outside mecha was.

People are actually annoyed by the idea of game developers having stuff on their desk.

Ex-Aid 2

Really loving it so far. The changing environment opens the show up to some pretty cool possibilities. Hopefully we won't have 2 parter monster of the week episodes and it'll have a continuous structure like Gaim.

Zyuohger 33

I like small episodes like this, though there was no development anywhere. The details they add for the humor is what makes episodes like these fun.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 33

That was a funny episode, if a bit filler-ish. Poor Misao.

Next episode looks important.

Ex-Aid 2

Parts of this are... a bit more serious than what I would expect from the series visuals. Or theme. Or anything, really.

It's nice how they are giving chibi an utility, but I don't think this will continue like that for long. Not with those CG monsters, at least.

While I'm not a fan of the Poppy persona, Asuna having two personalities is kinda funny.

Boss Doggie

What if Poppi/Asuna is dead and this is her spirit and Dan is actually her brother and he made Bugsters to bring her alive but it caused havoc so he has to also keep them under wraps while making Game Drivers

I forgot how awful /m/'s opinions of anything outside mecha was.

People are actually annoyed by the idea of game developers having stuff on their desk.

it's just /krg/'s usual self

vareon

Ex-aid seems _very_ heavy on CGI so far? Not talking about the giant bugsters, but the transformation effects--the level up sequence, the way that the world is "voxelized" on transformation, the bricks/chests/barrels dropping in the world, battle effects, winning effects, etc etc...

I can't imagine they keep up with this in later episodes, but they did set up some insane expectations.

Boss Doggie

they are stock footage tho, at least the part before they fall off

unless you mean the video game overlay when they click the gashat

vareon

they are stock footage tho, at least the part before they fall off

unless you mean the video game overlay when they click the gashat

Yeah, mainly those two. The brief part in Level 1 transformation where the environment is briefly overlayed with game world and in transformation to level 2, just after they finished transforming. They're super cool though.

Sou Da

I'm pretty conflicted, hate the cg monsters but like lvl 1.

Also are the levels supposed to represent video game tech? 8 bit to 16 etc?

javadoze

Ex-Aid 2

Pretty fun so far. Lvl 1 has a purpose, though looking at that Bugster hanging out with Pallad, they'll probably skip the first step and go for Lvl 2 after awhile (in that case, what's Lvl 3's function then?). Hiro is delightfully arrogant, yet silly in his own way. If the character synopses before are anything to go by, he'll probably soften up.

Though some people look at the multiple riders of this show and think "rider vs rider", I have the feeling they probably won't go that route with all the characters (though Snipe looks like a wildcard while Genm is obviously evil).

Zyuohger 33

Shockingly enough, this episode and the last episode were written by Ninninger head writer Kento Shimoyama (does he really just flail around only when he needs to write his own show?). The last episode was actually pretty great and did some meaningful stuff for Misao's character while this felt more like harmless, but fun filler with Leo and Amu.

So did they do focus episodes with just about every character combination now?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I like how Brave changes his sword grip depending on what mode he is using.

I loved how he had to get his sword too by pulling it from the stone, a fun touch.

Also loved how the villain looked and incorporated a JRPG-style motif with the magic and such.

Slayven

I loved how he had to get his sword too by pulling it from the stone, a fun touch.

Also loved how the villain looked and incorporated a JRPG-style motif with the magic and such.

I wonder if that is a one off, of getting gear from the game world. Bugster having to stress out the host reminded me of Wizard. But also House, where they had to figure out the patient in order to cure them

Sou Da

I wonder if that is a one off, of getting gear from the game world. Bugster having to stress out the host reminded me of Wizard. But also House, where they had to figure out the patient in order to cure them

I wonder if they'll ever do a real medicine plot on the show.

Link1110

Question, I'm watching Ghost now, and all the openings keep adverising the Genesis movie. Will I be able to follow it if I've never seen Drive, or will it spoil Drive?

Boss Doggie

New scans are out

OH GOD TO THINK THEY CAN'T GO FURTHER ANIME HOLY SHIT THOSE HAIRSTYLES IN RIDERS AND THE SUITS

basically MonHun form, Zombie form, and ANIME JA NAI MIGHTY XX FORM! Basically Super Mario Bros. except Mighty Action X. Paradox is Puzzle/Fighter without a gamer driver.

Tiu Neo

So did they do focus episodes with just about every character combination now?

Almost! Misao had episodes with everyone, Amu, Leo and Tusk pretty much. I think Sera has some missing (did we have the girl power episode already? I can't remember. Also, Tusk, iirc).

I like this approach, it develops the characters a bit more. After so many red-centric series, it's welcome change.

Question, I'm watching Ghost now, and all the openings keep adverising the Genesis movie. Will I be able to follow it if I've never seen Drive, or will it spoil Drive?

It will spoil Drive, a lot.

Boss Doggie

Almost! Misao had episodes with everyone, Amu, Leo and Tusk pretty much. I think Sera has some missing (did we have the girl power episode already? I can't remember. Also, Tusk, iirc).

I like this approach, it develops the characters a bit more. After so many red-centric series, it's welcome change.

Yeah we don't have an Amu / Sela ep, don't even have the girl-centric ep. Tusk already has an ep with Sela (the clipshow ep) and I think pretty much has eps with everyone.

WarRock

New scans are out

OH GOD TO THINK THEY CAN'T GO FURTHER ANIME HOLY SHIT THOSE HAIRSTYLES IN RIDERS AND THE SUITS

basically MonHun form, Zombie form, and ANIME JA NAI MIGHTY XX FORM! Basically Super Mario Bros. except Mighty Action X. Paradox is Puzzle/Fighter without a gamer driver.
HOLY SHIT MAN
LV5 HUNTER CAN SUMMON A DIGIMON
THAT GASHAT BRIEFCASE, ALL THOSE DUAL FORMS
WE W NOW

Double Action has a Gun-Switchaxe apparently? I'm ok with that, but all the buttons on the weapon made me think he was Puzzle at first. Hunter has a beast shaped Gashat o:

At this point it's probably a sure bet saying that split personalities/different personas is one of the show's motifs. Everybody got it.

Definitely don't watch it without having seen Drive.

shaowebb

Okay I saw Ex-Aid ep 2. I gotta say the show seems pretty good so far. Touch of silly, but not overly so. Overall its good...BUT THE SUITS ARE TRASH.
They really really had better step it up with the later forms in this series till it looks good or something. Castoff essentially returning for the whole lvl 1 and lvl2 thing is alright but those before suits are trash and the payoff is another suit that is trash.

Had to vent. Only complaint is the costume aesthetic. They just look terrible.

Tiu Neo

Yeah we don't have an Amu / Sela ep, don't even have the girl-centric ep. Tusk already has an ep with Sela (the clipshow ep) and I think pretty much has eps with everyone.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

So... only the girl power episode missing? Weird, hahaha.

At this point it's probably a sure bet saying that split personalities/different personas is one of the show's motifs. Everybody got it.

Whoa, it's true! Emu, Poppy, even the director's two personalities.

vareon

Ex-aid can summon Rathalos and then equip it. That's pretty cool.

Sonic/Knuckles form is hilarious though.

Okay I saw Ex-Aid ep 2. I gotta say the show seems pretty good so far. Touch of silly, but not overly so. Overall its good...BUT THE SUITS ARE TRASH.
They really really had better step it up with the later forms in this series till it looks good or something. Castoff essentially returning for the whole lvl 1 and lvl2 thing is alright but those before suits are trash and the payoff is another suit that is trash.

Had to vent. Only complaint is the costume aesthetic. They just look terrible.

Not sure how to break it to you, but the later costumes look....um....

Top Bottom