• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Finished Hibiki

Yeah, i loved it. I liked the characters, how weird and different it was, the music and i'd love to see another Rider fight with an instrument because it's awesome. The relationship between the Oni and their students were so good, some really strong and emotional moments, especially with Zanki and Todoroki. Interactions between all characters and not just Oni & Disciple were good i would say. Had some funny moments like Todoroki giving Hinaka a fish too. I really enjoyed it, even the second half. And the last scene was great.

What i didn't like: The changes, like removing the on-screen kanji stuff, even smaller stuff like the Oni no longer using the claws. The ending felt kinda... meh and could've been waaaay more epic... i would've liked to seen more of the 2 main villains as well, the experiment stuff was interesting.

Even with it's problems i would put it in my Top 3.

Oh, Hibiki. I like it, but can't say I'm too fond of the second part. Still a good series, but only a shadow of what it could be. Some of the best characters in the series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Cvl3vgIVUAExo1b.jpg

dat backsweat

WarRock

What an awesome week for toku, wowa. Zyuoh 35 is kick ass. Great two parter, lots of good moments and an awesome fight (I watched it thrice!). Everyone had a role in it, character moments felt real. Toei, give a rise to the writers and Yamato's actor.

Ex-Aid 4 is convincing as hell. We keep having the plot laid out brick by brick instead of a sudden dump and the character interactions are decent. Genm is fucking awesome, and the Road Rash finishers made a hell of a impression. The duel between sword and gun had its moments too, with Snipe parrying and avoiding while moving forward (keeping in line with his aggressive and used to brawl style showed even when untransformed last episode) versus Brave using the shield in the suit to get some edge. It bears repeating that the visual flair of this season is simply delicious, with all the colors and over the top motion graphics.

Lazer poses and henshin are good, so good. I like how he is another volatile variable to the plot, besides the Bugsters/Gemn and Taiga.

There some flaws being consolidated this episode too, IMO, but it's nothing big or uncommon to the series... and I'm not sure they'll keep the structure used so far for long, anyway. We may see an all out war Ryuki/Gaim style after all.

(Oh, and I love the fact that Ex-Aid still uses the hammer regularly instead of defaulting to the sword all the time.)

it's more of a "how could you develop so many games yet end up glitching them without checking" comment, a nod to the "Dan is a shitty developer" humor
They were all Bethesda games on consoles.

Debirudog

I'm really glad Ex-aid's main weapon is a hammer. So tired of the main riders using swords all the damn time. Makes me appreciate W more in that sense.

Slayven

Huh, so apparently the sister is played by Shinken Red Kaoru's actress

it's more of a "how could you develop so many games yet end up glitching them without checking" comment, a nod to the "Dan is a shitty developer" humor

It was nagging me that she looked familiar, guess that is why

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 4

Kiriya is another great character. Good Henshin too, reminds me a bit of Mach.

The Rider x Rider fight was good too. Genm is... weird? He could easily kill them now, so I guess it' not that what he wants. I can see him having a good reason for doing that. And at least I don't see him becoming boring as Chaser so soon.

It's been a while since the bike was this important, wasn't it? At least from the Heisei series I watched, it wasn't really important at all. Great setting too, I'm glad the games theme gives us opportunity for those many different types of monsters/battles.

So far, still a good series. I love how distinct the Riders are, and how their personalities are even a bit exaggerated, with only Emu really being a good guy, but even him having a bit more than that as a character.

Debirudog

It definitely seems like Ex-Aid has a much larger budget than what Ghost had. I remember the latter's ep 4 had reused footage from OOO's movie lol.

vareon

This is an interesting situation where we usually don't get much bike action, but the bike is part of the main rider now. The show will get around that though lol. Kiriya is an interesting, mysterious character with the most unfortunate rider form ever.

It's great to see Genm (corp)'s Riders are all jerks, outside of Emu.

Sou Da

Honestly the lack of magic makes this feel really weird, these weren't super high sci fi VR games or something. How did they make a biological virus?

This honestly kinda feels like a poorly explained version of Gaia memories or something.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One thing I like is Ex-Aid is based on Mighty, Brave is based on the knight protagonist of Taddle Quest, and Lazer is basically a mix between the biker and bike of Bakusou Bike...

But last week said it was the villain Bugster who was the protagonist of Bang Bang Shooting, the dude on the box art---so presumably Snipe takes his design from an antagonist from said game. Nice representation of his character being a "villain" at this point.

NeonZ

Honestly the lack of magic makes this feel really weird, these weren't super high sci fi VR games or something. How did they make a biological virus?

This honestly kinda feels like a poorly explained version of Gaia memories or something.

I guess it'll turn out to be like the "Roimudes originated from the internet" thing from early in Drive. It won't really be their origin at all.

Boss Doggie

Boss Doggie

next eps scans

EX-AID
Holy shit the Level 3 forms are glorious, and it looks like Lazer is gonna go at it at Genm!

Kamen Rider Genm is... Dan Kurota!

And we see Graphite's human form!

ZYUOHGER
Kaixa Kusaka Bard is ZyuohBird, the orange ZyuohEagle, and we finally see Cube Octopus in action!

Tiu Neo

A part of me is hoping that Dr. PacMan is actually the leader of Foundation X.

I wish they didn't drop that. It was kinda cool having a common point between the villains. Kinda like a new age Shocker, but with the link between the evil organizations being who invests in them, not the leader.

I wish they didn't drop that. It was kinda cool having a common point between the villains. Kinda like a new age Shocker, but with the link between the evil organizations being who invests in them, not the leader.

Are you me? Stop reading my mind. This must be a Golgom plot.

next eps scans

EX-AID
Holy shit the Level 3 forms are glorious, and it looks like Lazer is gonna go at it at Genm!

Kamen Rider Genm is... Dan Kurota!

And we see Graphite's human form!

ZYUOHGER
Kaixa Kusaka Bard is ZyuohBird, the orange ZyuohEagle, and we finally see Cube Octopus in action!

Can't wait to watch these.

WarRock

In my continuous adventure to actually finish Shinkenger, for real this time, I'm up to episode 40, where Doukoku makes one hell of a impression, being angry as fuck and beating the crap out of everything for almost half of the episode. Coming back to the show (almost?) one year later, my impressions are mostly unchanged:

The opening song is so good, may be one of my favorites in any TV show ever.

Chiaki is an obnoxious piece of shit that I want to punch repeatedly. Genta is even more genki than I remembered and a interesting contrast to Takeru. Mako is simply gorgeous no matter what. (And a better samurai than everybody else barring Ryunosuke and Takeru - maybe.)

The villains and the heroes dynamics, the world building and inner workings based on feudal Japan/samurai dramas feel so unique and give space to such a rich sentai season!

Show still goes out of its way to shit on the female Shinkengers, making them share or give up the spotlight even during their own focus episodes, it's really, really annoying.

For some reason I love the little snippet after the opening, with the Origami stock footage running alongside an instrumental version of the OP song. More toku shows should do that D=

Juuzo and Dayu are GREAT. Juuzo's suit is basically perfect.

Oh, and this moment in episode 40 is really strong:

Tiu Neo

^ Yeah, all the girls deserved better in this. I didn't really like Mako, but she's one of the competent ones. She deserved that origami more than Chiaki. Kaoru was awesome for a few episodes, but then everyone wanted Takeru instead, so she ended passing down the torch to him. At least Kotoha got to use the super form more than the others?

Are you me? Stop reading my mind. This must be a Golgom plot.

There's still hope. They could easily have funded Yggdrasil, Banno's research and... Saionji, I guess?

They just need to bring them back. Perfect opportunity with this movie, too, which will have every Rider from Wizard to Ex-Aid.

But yeah, I don't think they'll do that.

vareon

^ Yeah, all the girls deserved better in this. I didn't really like Mako, but she's one of the competent ones. She deserved that origami more than Chiaki. Kaoru was awesome for a few episodes, but then everyone wanted Takeru instead, so she ended passing down the torch to him. At least Kotoha got to use the super form more than the others?

There's still hope. They could easily have funded Yggdrasil, Banno's research and... Saionji, I guess?

They just need to bring them back. Perfect opportunity with this movie, too, which will have every Rider from Wizard to Ex-Aid.

But yeah, I don't think they'll do that.

Coincidentally Wizard is where they dropped any Foundation X stuff (Tsukada isn't involved anymore). So.... Yeah.

But they could make another organization that was actually the big bad behind all the series! Like Pac-Man!

Coincidentally Wizard is where they dropped any Foundation X stuff (Tsukada isn't involved anymore). So.... Yeah.

But they could make another organization that was actually the big bad behind all the series! Like Pac-Man!

Last time they were used was during Fourze if I remember correctly.

NeonZ

A part of me is hoping that Dr. PacMan is actually the leader of Foundation X.

Nah, Dr.Pacman and the other movie villain apparently are part of the "Next Genome Laboratory", which researched evolution but the project members disappeared 6 years before Ex-Aid.

Barrage

I'm currently getting into my second Toku series (first was Kamen Rider Kabuto).

I tried to get into Ex-Aid, the slapstick was a little much, Asuna's dual personality is ugh, but the real dealbreaker is I HATE THE SUITS. Ugh, As bad as the chubby look is, the actual suits just don't display any power to me.

After looking up fan opinions, I decided to get into OOO. Loving it so far, i'm on Episode 22. The Medals just give every fight strategy and variety.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah, that what is kinda putting me off as the doctor angle and the video game angle just doesn't gel well with each other.

I am just hoping that once the show has progress a little further, it will dial back on one of the element, hopefully the gaming aspect.

WarRock

I'm currently getting into my second Toku series (first was Kamen Rider Kabuto).

I tried to get into Ex-Aid, the slapstick was a little much, Asuna's dual personality is ugh, but the real dealbreaker is I HATE THE SUITS. Ugh, As bad as the chubby look is, the actual suits just don't display any power to me.

After looking up fan opinions, I decided to get into OOO. Loving it so far, i'm on Episode 22. The Medals just give every fight strategy and variety.
That is a great pick. OOO was my first =)

If you like the fights in the show, oooh boy, you're in for a TREAT when it comes to Eiji cameos in post OOO movies.

OOO is a great starter for people coming to the Kamen Rider series. I would suggest Fourze or W after you get done with OOO.

vareon

Kabuto to Ex-aid is too much of a jump in tone, design, etc. OOO is great, then try watching the post-Decade Heisei series before Ex-aid (if you still want to).

You'll probably be more open to Ex-Aid after you get through Gaim.

Sou Da

They were the power of the earth in handy USB form that made people into various malleable forms...

Yeah but that was sci-fi fuckery from the jump, here video games somehow just went wrong.

Like the actual episode to episode plots work well but the backstory, including the character ones are just weird.

Top Bottom