• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
8EHDrnO.jpg

This is from the Zyuohger summer movie.

Why?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I didn't notice anyone else but the internet says Torin, Kruger, and Sha Fu are in there. Maybe it was while there was a bunch of crap flying on the screen because that stuff confused me.

Ok I watched it again, could only find Sha Fu. If the others are there they aren't anywhere near as overt as Ticket is like I said.

WillyFive

Does sentai still do character songs? been a while since i heard one

Kyoryuger had a ton, but they didn't usually put them in the show outside of Gold, Cyan, and Silver, I think. They are probably all in the soundtrack CD of the show nowadays if they till make them since.

WillyFive

The movie cast of pr probably makes more than all the power rangers and Sentai actors combined.

Yeah, but only due to Cranston and Banks. I can't imagine the Rangers making much more than the Ranger/Sentai actors across the two years their contracts run.

javadoze

Kamen Rider Genm 21

-While I like the stage select gimmick still, it gets really weird with riders showing up out of nowhere for almost no rhyme or reason (case in point, Taiga and Pallad this episode).

-Taiga just forcibly spearheaded development for a gashat. I like that the show thought to do this.

-I don't know why, but Dan jumping down right up to Emu's face and the both of them transforming made me laugh.

-Seems safe to say that Kamen Rider Chronicle will be the logical... "endgame" of the show.

-Next week, shirtless Dan.
I sure hope he doesn't die. This show would be way less interesting without him (well, that and he's the only major antagonist at this point, excluding Pallad, who I consider more of a 3rd faction anyways).

Kyuranger 4

-We're at earth already! Didn't take long for them to do. Though there's the story justification, I wish they continued about the galactic adventures for just a bit longer.

-Commander Xiao is instantly my favorite character. "Budgetary concerns" as the explanation for only 5 kyurangers and the accompanying lottery didn't make me mind the limitation this episode.

-Nothing much to day about the rest of the episode. Raptor makes for a nice addition to the team and I'm guessing
next week is Stinger's heel turn?
That sure lasted long.

"YOSHA LUCKY"s this episode: 4
"YOSHA LUCKY"s overall: 25.5

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Kyoryuger had a ton, but they didn't usually put them in the show outside of Gold, Cyan, and Silver, I think. They are probably all in the soundtrack CD of the show nowadays if they till make them since.

They played Black's a few times actually. Also think blue once

Tiu Neo

Ghost Summer Movie

That first part wasn't bad. Motorcycle action, good fights. Ghost should've had more night scenes, it fit better the series. Unfortunately, most of the movie was filmed by daylight, lol.

The heroes were some of the best parts of Ghost, so it was nice to see them come to life for once, as super caricatures. Kishidan being the musicial heroes was kinda unexpected, a nice surprise.

The Necrom Sentai suits were cheap as hell. Like, cheaper than the goons. Dark Ghost, Dad-Specter, Ultimate Dark Ghost, Darwin and Napoleon were well made. What a waste to use just one (two?) of them in the series. I like Dark Ghost being a parallel to Takeru on the Ganma World with Dad-Spectre guiding him. This should've been in the series, would at least be somewhat interesting. Just like the whole series, this was not well executed, but at least it was a bit more of character development and story for this world.

The supporting cast... Kanon is worthless as always. Onari is the best, as always. Akari was competent, and a good support, I guess.

It's funny how Ex-Aid's effects look better in the series, imo. For once, the movie looks like the cheaper version, lol. One thing I liked more in this than what we (don't really) have in the series is the Vs. Screen. They should've had something like this for the bugster and Rider vs Rider battles.

So... just like the series, good ideas, bad execution. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't good, and had that ham-fisted "friendship is the solution for everything" ending that Ghost used for everything. Well, I kinda expected that.

Less sense than God Speed Love?

God Speed Love was great because of the nonsense, this is just... eh. Ghost.

Well, both have a lot of things that should have been in the series, lol.

I didn't notice anyone else but the internet says Torin, Kruger, and Sha Fu are in there. Maybe it was while there was a bunch of crap flying on the screen because that stuff confused me.

Ok I watched it again, could only find Sha Fu. If the others are there they aren't anywhere near as overt as Ticket is like I said.

Throughout the film, there's a reference to every single Sentai team from the past. I can't find the list for it, but some are real obscure, while others are quite obvious.

Jeffrey

Yeah, but only due to Cranston and Banks. I can't imagine the Rangers making much more than the Ranger/Sentai actors across the two years their contracts run.
Rangers probably. They have unions.

I'm still not convinced Sentai actors are paid period lol.

Are y'all watching the new Garo series, Zero: Dragon Blood? It's actually pretty good, great villain and some solid fight scenes. The new human girl is really annoying, but that's par for the course.

Garo is really, really entertaining, absolutely give it a watch if you're tempted. Like Slay says, awesome fight scenes, especially everything involving practical monsters and suits (the CGI bits are a bit janky, but whatever). I loved the first series back when it first came out, and I can't believe that it's grown into a full-on franchise with a ton of sequels, spin-offs, specials, movies, etc. The first series is still the best, so watch that for sure. The sequel, Makai Senki, is very solid, and one of the most recent series, GOLDSTORM, is notable for its lack of filler and a pretty much continuous, serial-style story. A couple of things to avoid are the third series, The One Who Shines in the Darkness, and The Tougan Flute, a really garbage special. Pretty much everything else is worth a watch, with the recent Ashura special being worth a laugh if you like Japanese wrestling. I haven't seen the animes or the recent Makai Tales series, so I can't speak to the quality of those, though.

Garo is really, really entertaining, absolutely give it a watch if you're tempted. Like Slay says, awesome fight scenes, especially everything involving practical monsters and suits (the CGI bits are a bit janky, but whatever). I loved the first series back when it first came out, and I can't believe that it's grown into a full-on franchise with a ton of sequels, spin-offs, specials, movies, etc. The first series is still the best, so watch that for sure. The sequel, Makai Senki, is very solid, and one of the most recent series, GOLDSTORM, is notable for its lack of filler and a pretty much continuous, serial-style story. A couple of things to avoid are the third series, The One Who Shines in the Darkness, and The Tougan Flute, a really garbage special. Pretty much everything else is worth a watch, with the recent Ashura special being worth a laugh if you like Japanese wrestling. I haven't seen the animes or the recent Makai Tales series, so I can't speak to the quality of those, though.

I might be in the minority here, but YamiTera [One who shines in the darkness] is not only one of my favorite GARO's, but one of my favorite Toku shows of all time. I never saw the hate for it whatsoever.

Though, to answer your question most of it is worth watching.

Definitely worth it:
Original
Makai Senki
YamiTera
Crimson Seal [first anime series]

Not worth it:
Second anime series
Raiga's TV Series [Makai Flower? REALLY filled with filler and no serialized plot. Wasn't up my alley, might be up yours]

Need to see: GOLDSTORM and Zero Dragon Flame and Makai Chronicles. Did i miss anything beyond the movies?

I might be in the minority here, but YamiTera [One who shines in the darkness] is not only one of my favorite GARO's, but one of my favorite Toku shows of all time. I never saw the hate for it whatsoever.

Definitely worth it:
Original
Makai Senki
YamiTera

Not worth it:
Second anime series
Raiga's TV Series [Makai Flower? REALLY filled with filler and no serialized plot. Wasn't up my alley, might be up yours]

Need to see: GOLDSTORM and Zero Dragon Flame and Makai Chronicles. Did i miss anything beyond the movies?

Interesting...you felt Yami Tera that much, huh? Might be worth another look. I was disappointed that the main character was a tool
though the whole blind story arc was really good and made him much more interesting
and that there were so many wasted characters. Really would have liked more back story to the other two dudes on the squad; the glasses guy (Aguri, I think) was totally pointless. Plus, Enhou's fate was criminal
was really hoping that she would become the first female Makai Knight, and then...yeah.

I agree that the Raiga series is definitely filler as hell, but I generally liked it - Mayuri is awesome. If you go in expecting a solid, continuous story, you'll definitely be disappointed.

Interesting...you felt Yami Tera that much, huh? Might be worth another look. I was disappointed that the main character was a tool
though the whole blind story arc was really good and made him much more interesting
and that there were so many wasted characters. Really would have liked more back story to the other two dudes on the squad; the glasses guy (Aguri, I think) was totally pointless. Plus, Enhou's fate was criminal
was really hoping that she would become the first female Makai Knight, and then...yeah.

I agree that the Raiga series is definitely filler as hell, but I generally liked it - Mayuri is awesome. If you go in expecting a solid, continuous story, you'll definitely be disappointed.

It was the first GARO with a serialized story. OG and MS all had filler up til something like the 3/4 part where the story half hits and it's good. Having a series that at least delivered that puts the bar a bit higher than average IMO. The spoilered part also made it better because, you know, character development. Also, can't deny those fight scenes.

And this scene. Hoo boy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMpoknusJo

Raiga wasn't BAD bad, had some interesting ideas here and there, but the protagonist wasn't that great, and to me, serialized>>>>>episodic.

It was the first GARO with a serialized story. OG and MS all had filler up til something like the 3/4 part where the story half hits and it's good. Having a series that at least delivered that puts the bar a bit higher than average IMO. The spoilered part also made it better because, you know, character development. Also, can't deny those fight scenes.

And this scene. Hoo boy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMpoknusJo

Raiga wasn't BAD bad, had some interesting ideas here and there, but the protagonist wasn't that great, and to me, serialized>>>>>episodic.

Yoooo, can't believe I let that *epic* fight slip my mind. I still have lukewarm memories of the series. but yeah, that battle is pure fire and one of the top 3 fights in the whole franchise.

vareon

Definitely worth it:
Original
Makai Senki
YamiTera

Not worth it:
Second anime series

I'm with you, I like YamiTera that much. I loved the serialized story and an established setting and a bit more world building rather than just a nameless city. And a group of heroes means there's a lot more interactions between them (which is why I don't like Ryuga's second series that much).

The Amemiya-directed series are basically vehicles for Amemiya's storytelling experiments, which makes them very hit or miss due to the very episodic nature the seasons.

Haven't watched Dragon Blood, but does it involve "a sealed Horror" that will inevitably be unleashed in the finale again?

Tiu Neo

Kyurangers 5

...Lucky is not very bright, is he? I mean, it would make sense to take the boys as hostages even if he was the enemy. Stinger has an interesting backstory, hope it's developed, and if Scorpio is really an enemy, this could be good.

It's funny how there's a five people limitation, but each episode they find a way to have more than that anyway, lol.

I like the boss. There's probably a lot more in him than it looks like, too.
Stinger being a spy but the boss "forgeting" to tell everyone, lol.

This is still using some interesting camera angles for the action scenes. Good to see, hope Kamen Rider does more of that too.

So, at this episode Champ and Stinger thing became more of a... rivalry? I hope they develop that a bit better, even if it's something like "It was Scorpio".

Kyurangers 5

...Lucky is not very bright, is he? I mean, it would make sense to take the boys as hostages even if he was the enemy. Stinger has an interesting backstory, hope it's developed, and if Scorpio is really an enemy, this could be good.

It's funny how there's a five people limitation, but each episode they find a way to have more than that anyway, lol.

I like the boss. There's probably a lot more in him than it looks like, too.
Stinger being a spy but the boss "forgeting" to tell everyone, lol.

This is still using some interesting camera angles for the action scenes. Good to see, hope Kamen Rider does more of that too.

So, at this episode Champ and Stinger thing became more of a... rivalry? I hope they develop that a bit better, even if it's something like "It was Scorpio".

It's gotta be Scorpio at this point. Unless they have Inoue pen an episode or something and throw everyone in a river and MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Surprised to see Kiriya's friend back...

Hmm, you don't think they're gonna do THAT with him, do you? He was infected with the Bugster virus in the past so presumably he'd be compatible with the belt...

Dan freaking out over Emu sending him something I would've drawn as a kid was hilarious.

Link1110

9ranger 5

兄よ、君はなぜ悪魔に魂を売っつのか
Good setup for stinger, if a bit disappointing that he's not gonna be Abare Killer 2. Calling Scorpio as the 10th ranger now though.

And I don't think it was necessarily Scorpio that killed garu's tribe. Maybe that necklace is possessed or something

WarRock

Champ accepting Stinger just because he was spy is sketchy as hell. Good to see Hawktiger is now the other Uchiha brother.

Next week: Heaven's Tornado!

Edit:
OMG @ Amu doing Amazon hand swipe!

Slayven

Quick, Top 5 Toku finishers.

1. Faiz's crimson smash
2. Blade's Royal Straight Flush
3. Zolda's End of The World
4. Rescue Force and Fire Mecha Finishers(cheated, but they are the same but the emotion of which they are delivered is great)
5. Kabuto's Hyper Clock Up

Quick, Top 5 Toku finishers.

1. Faiz's crimson smash
2. Blade's Royal Straight Flush
3. Zolda's End of The World
4. Rescue Force and Fire Mecha Finishers(cheated, but they are the same but the emotion of which they are delivered is great)
5. Kabuto's Hyper Clock Up

Wow, someone else has actually seen Rescue Force.

It's hard to put them in some kind of order, but the Gurren Lagann fan in me can't help but love Fourze's Chouginga Slash...and the others are probably various CRITICAL STRIKEs from Ex Aid. Those cut ins are MAD hype inducing.

Slayven

Wow, someone else has actually seen Rescue Force.

It's hard to put them in some kind of order, but the Gurren Lagann fan in me can't help but love Fourze's Chouginga Slash...and the others are probably various CRITICAL STRIKEs from Ex Aid. Those cut ins are MAD hype inducing.

Rescue Force's theme song is still one of the best of Toku history. I want to like critical strikes, but they need their own name before i recognize a good move. Joker Illusion sucks, but it is still above critical strikes because it's has it's own name

WarRock

Can agree with most of the list except... Hyper Clock Up instead of Black RX's Revolcrash? I also have a soft spot for simple finishers like V3's Revolving Kick or Ryuuki's Dragon Rider Kick.

Tiu Neo

It's gotta be Scorpio at this point. Unless they have Inoue pen an episode or something and throw everyone in a river and MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Yeah, MISUNDERSTANDINGS was what I was thinking about. But dunno, it's probably just Scorpio.

Good setup for stinger, if a bit disappointing that he's not gonna be Abare Killer 2. Calling Scorpio as the 10th ranger now though.

Wouldn't say 10th, but maybe one extra ranger at the end of the story? Probably.

I would like it more if he was more of a tragic figure, a rival, or something like that.

Top Bottom