• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

I honestly think it's closer to Kyoryuger than Gokaiger, with Lucky taking the Daigo role in the show: every character loves him and he's the best.

Spada feels like a Blue actually, not a Red. Very sensible and protective, as seen in the episode with Raptor. I see him like a valve for Lucky's more annoying and detrimental problems. This is also why I was glad for the soft acknowledgement that there's no real leader for the team.

Raptor, Balance, Naga, and Stinger are fairly strong in characterization, being the additional four Rangers on the team. I don't think Champ was particularly left out of his own episode; Stinger's episode was really the next one.

I also think Hammy wasn't really shortchanged, because I view that episode more as a Lucky episode than a Hammy one. Every other episode is a character through the lens of Lucky, with him being their to pull their true selves out. This was about trying to understand more about him; we got Hammy's backstory, but the episode wasn't really written to be about her.

I'd say I feel the show falters on the base team - Red, Black, Blue, Yellow, and Pink - but the Kyu Globe mechanic means there's no real base team. (Something that makes me wonder how PR will handle it.) Given that, the real issue is Spada and Hammy haven't really had episodes covering them in particular. Unfortunately, this might continue to be a problem if they don't get episodes soon, given scans.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They haven't done it since, like, Kakuranger but you think we'll see an arc where the gang splits up to tackle separate foes? That'd be a nice way to handle focus episodes.

Slayven

When was the last time Sentai did a girls in trouble type thing. Goonger?

I always like the women went harder than the dudes in teamups

WarRock

I hope each team member get a ep to expand their characters and we still got one other team member that hasn't been reveled yet.
I'm half expecting Ursa to be the the oldest brother that fought against Jark Matter in the other episode. He is a kid who grows during transformation, right?

Tiu Neo

Yeah, some characters are getting the shaft. Hammy and Spada need focus episodes ASAP, and Champ needs some development. He can't just accept Stinger this easily, can he?

I'm half expecting Ursa to be the the oldest brother that fought against Jark Matter in the other episode. He is a kid who grows during transformation, right?

Could be, and we would have an earthling on the team.

Or maybe that was just an extra, and the true Ursa will either be an alien, or another Earth boy. We'll know for sure if he shows up again on the next few episodes or not.

WillyFive

I read the Max Landis script for Power Rangers, and it was a blast. Great characters and action. I recommend everyone here to read it.

WarRock

It's a damn good script. From what I can tell some very general ideas were kept for the current movie, but it's a shame they didn't used the whole thing. The dynamics between the characters and the plot hook with the state of the galaxy are so good. Plenty of love for the spirit of the original show with well thought updates.

God damnit, I missed the Twitch stream for "Lost and Found In Translation".

Would be comical to see how people respond to an Abaranger episode.

vareon

I read the Max Landis script for Power Rangers, and it was a blast. Great characters and action. I recommend everyone here to read it.

Landis' script had a lot more action but I don't like the characters.

Anyway, MMPR 2017 was...not a good movie by any means, but I enjoyed my time in the theatre and I hope there are more coming.

Big One

Banned
What's everyone's favorite Super Sentai teams (aesthetically or for other reasons)?

V9Ek1Is.jpg

JAKQ

Not only does it featured my namesake but I also feel like this series is pretty underrated. I never fully watched it, but I really enjoyed what I watched of it. Love the aesthetic and the premise of it.

Maskman

While the show itself wasn't as good as something like Liveman or Jetman, Maskman has always been some of my favorite suit designs. Maskman is proof that sometimes the most simple can be the best. The only thing that hinders it is the earrings on Pink and Yellow, but otherwise they're amazing suits.

Jetman

Great series all around. While it is a bit overrated by the community I do still feel it's a genuinely great sentai series and is arguably still the best written all around even till this day. The aesthetics for it however are undeniably amazing, and even haters of Jetman will agree with that.

Dairanger

Not only is the series itself fantastic but Dairanger remains till this day by favorite Super Sentai aesthetic. The mech designs, the suit designs, and even the enemy designs are so on point for this series. While I think Maskman nail it in terms of simplicity, Dairanger on the other hand nails it on complexity. When you can make suits with so many things going on in them look great, you're doing something right.

Timeranger

Like Jetman and Dairanger, was an all around fantastic sentai series that can be argued as one of the best written series ever. The aesthetic was amazing for it's theme, as it also nails the simple but effective route that Maskman took.

Dekaranger

Still my absolute favorite "modern" sentai design still to this day. The suits are great, the series is fun as hell with it's original premise. it shouldn't be surprising that Dekaranger is as popular as it is in Japan. Aesthetically it's fantastic and the premise is fantastic as well for a lot of fun stories.

Gokaiger

The last Super Sentai I fully watched before I took a hiatus. The suit designs are on point with it's theme, similar to Dekaranger before it. While the series itself wasn't the greatest in terms of plot, for what it was trying to accomplish as an anniversary season it did it's job much much better than Kamen Rider Decade ever did for Kamen Rider. Gokaiger is an absolute love letter to Super Sentai history and I absolutely loved it.

Kyuranger

It's a bit too early to say for sure, but it's undeniable that for what the suits are trying to accomplish, they're fantastic conceptually. I love the varied body sizes and the Zodiac theme they have. The series itself hasn't proven itself quality-wise but the aesthetics of the suits have been really kickass especially since all the suits have their own unique features to them (Scorpio has a tail for example).

Special mentions:

Bioman
Liveman
GoGoV (still till this day, I feel GoGoV is the most underrated sentai of all time)
Abaranger
Magiranger
Shinkenger
Go-busters (never finished this one but enjoyed what I watched of it)

Tiu Neo

What's everyone's favorite Super Sentai teams (aesthetically or for other reasons)?

Hm, my list would be pretty similar to yours. Never watched JAKQ, so I can't really give my opinion on this. Maskman was ahead of it's time, in some ways, and I think it holds well even today.

I also really liked Flashman's uniforms. While they are a bit dated nowdays, I really liked it back then.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seeing all the reactions to the PR stream, I just realized another problem with the Neo-Saban seasons.
There's no sexy villainesses!
All the female villains during the new era have been costumes. Dayu, Metal Alice, Levira, Poisandra, and now Madam Odius (who wasn't even a woman in Ninninger, though people did think that for the longest time). Where's the women that awaken fetishes in young kids?

Slayven

Seeing all the reactions to the PR stream, I just realized another problem with the Neo-Saban seasons.
There's no sexy villainesses!
All the female villains during the new era have been costumes. Dayu, Metal Alice, Levira, Poisandra, and now Madam Odius (who wasn't even a woman in Ninninger, though people did think that for the longest time). Where's the women that awaken fetishes in young kids?

That is what I been saying. The last one was Goonger?

WarRock

someone needs to force him to watch Ex-Aid ASAP

edit:
holy crap the Sega CD game is basically Ryse with more realistic graphics

BatDan

I didn't hate the movie. I actually enjoyed it.
You may take my Toku fan card away.

Jeffrey

No mention about the legs. Think the triceratops had extra legs too?

i enjoyed the movie. There is a sense of chemistry that I can't remember the last time a power rangers team had.

It's just so weird that they got the 'modern' feel to happen especially these days where the neo saban shows kinda just feel like 90's directing and script lol.

The suits and zords still... left sometime to be desired. They looked a bit too 'campy' somehow for the tone of this movie. Like I feel like a sleeker MCU Black Panther look would work better.

fight choreography was a bit silly too with the slowmo usage.

vareon

Despite me liking the movie, there are two aspects of the zords that are unforgivable.

1. The lack of color when they combined
The half-assed combination. Seriously, did they run out of budget or something?

Other than that, the movie is pretty harmless. I like the direction and I want more movies starring these guys.

Tiu Neo

someone needs to force him to watch Ex-Aid ASAP

I would like to see his reaction to that. However, watching that first PR video of his, I'm not sure if modern KR would be his thing, since the action is not so over the top and uses a lot of CG. No giant battles too, lol.

EDIT: Haha, that video's ending was great.

WarRock

Are Rangers, as characters, fun? The actors actually looked like they really were into it, and good characters can make a lot of bad/mediocre stuff cool.

javadoze

Ex-Aid 23

-No flowers, no death. I'm still in denial, but at the same time, there's something rather fitting about Dan's final moments being spent squirming around and screeching how he doesn't want to die.

-I rather liked the ethical question brought up this episode about Emu having to kill Dan. Emu not wanting to, Hiro being with him, and Taiga disagreeing. Sure, the quandary was solved with intervention, but like the episode with the terminal cancer patient, I wish they did more of this rather than solely flirting with it.

-Maximum Gamer is ugly and looks like Ex-Aid's head got lost in a container of french fries. Not much else to say.

Kyuranger 6

"YOSHA LUCKY"s this episode: 5
"YOSHA LUCKY"s overall: 37.5

-This episode was rather... weird. Though it seems like a focus on Hammy at first, it ended up being more about Lucky.

-Also, even if we end up knowing a little more about Hammy this episode, we still haven't even seen her doing any... ninja stuff? This is starting to sound like a nitpick, but with every other character demonstrating some sort of unique trait, she ends up being the odd one out due to this omission. I'm sure if you replace "ninja" with any other profession right now, there'd be no visible difference in the character writing.

-The Pegasus kyutama doesn't feel like a proper powerup in the vein of Zyuohger's Gorilla form. Thing looks really cheap. Though, I'm still a sucker for using the show's ED dance to beat the MOTW.

-Another element I loved this episode: the Jark Matter monster designs. The two Malistrates Stinger goes up against were solid (especially Ikagen). The long-necked monster this week is another standout.

Ex-Aid 23

-No flowers, no death. I'm still in denial, but at the same time, there's something rather fitting about Dan's final moments being spent squirming around and screeching how he doesn't want to die.

I still think Dan will be
Chronos

Kyuranger 6

-This episode was rather... weird. Though it seems like a focus on Hammy at first, it ended up being more about Lucky.

-Also, even if we end up knowing a little more about Hammy this episode, we still haven't even seen her doing any... ninja stuff? This is starting to sound like a nitpick, but with every other character demonstrating some sort of unique trait, she ends up being the odd one out due to this omission. I'm sure if you replace "ninja" with any other profession right now, there'd be no visible difference in the character writing.

I agree the composition was odd. I still think the overall point was addressing Lucky being "lucky" early on, now that the team is together.

I do worry that without an actual episode on her, Hammy will end up like Amy or Ahim, with her only real differentiation being the fact that she's the primary female ranger. Worse, in this show, there's no real "primary" rangers outside of Lucky, so she really needs a strong differentiator. They're trying to play up her penchant for insulting jokes in the home base, but in that settings, she's destroyed by Naga, Raptor, and Shou. Folks have compared her roughly to Yellow from Maskman, but she lacks the personality to pull that off right now.

Only if you still concur that the suits/zord designs are still shite.
Suits are great, helmets need work.
Pterodactyl went from my least favorite to favorite so the movie did something right with it at least.

Are Rangers, as characters, fun? The actors actually looked like they really were into it, and good characters can make a lot of bad/mediocre stuff cool.
The characters are the best part of the movie, and contrary to the original they are all equally likeable(the few Sentai I have seen and MMPR didn't manage that).

BatDan

Is it weird that I cringe more at Ninja Steel Red's "This is epic" than at Lucky's "Yossha Lucky!"?

I guess it's due to the former's actor always sounding bored. We're back to Troy levels...
Plus, Lucky may say it way too much, but at least it's delivered well. Unlike Takaharu's "I'm getting fired up... really you guys can't you tell?"

Slayven

Is it weird that I cringe more at Ninja Steel Red's "This is epic" than at Lucky's "Yossha Lucky!"?

I guess it's due to the former's actor always sounding bored. We're back to Troy levels...
Plus, Lucky may say it way too much, but at least it's delivered well. Unlike Takaharu's "I'm getting fired up... really you guys can't you tell?"

Ninja steel's writing bothers me, it's a "kid's show". But it is pretty insulting, kids aren't stupid. It is like they writing for the 2-5 year old range

Tiu Neo

He probably just took the inspiration from his japanese counterpart, lol.

Yeah, he uses it a lot, but at least the actor isn't completely horrible. He can be even a bit fun sometimes. He's less annoying than I expected, but I had my expectations, like, Takaharu low. I'd say he's a bit better than Right, too, I just hope he doesn't get most the focus all the time. That's bad on a 6 person team, but on an 11+ people team, it's a complete waste.

Barrage

Big One, just wanna say your post made me realize Jetman has my favourite female Ranger design ever. Untouchable.

I'm hyped for Kyuranger's suits as well.

As for favs that haven't been mentioned...always really like In Space's suit design. Simple but sleek.

Big One

Banned
Big One, just wanna say your post made me realize Jetman has my favourite female Ranger design ever. Untouchable.

I'm hyped for Kyuranger's suits as well.

As for favs that haven't been mentioned...always really like In Space's suit design. Simple but sleek.
The Jetman designs are all around beautifully made. They're gonna have a hard time topping it when it comes to bird-theme sentai.

Tiu Neo

The Jetman designs are all around beautifully made. They're gonna have a hard time topping it when it comes to bird-theme sentai.

It's funny how they never really tried another bird-themed sentai after Jetman.

Which series are generally considered the best Sentai series?

Depends a lot on some factors. There is no perfect series, but there are a lot of series that can be considered the best depending of what you like.I think a good case could be made for most of the series being the best... for someone, lol.

Well, Jetman is considered the best by a lot of people. It's dark, has some drama elements. However, it's also a bit campy sometimes, and has very dated effects. It's one of my favorites, but some people think it's overrated.

In my opinion, you could make a good case for Dekaranger, Gekiranger, Magiranger, Abaranger, Changeman, Timeranger, Carranger, Sun Vulcan, Kyoryuger, Gogo-V and Kakuranger being the best, depending on what you want from a series. Each one of them have their problems, but also exceed doing something very well.

WarRock

I don't think they ever did another animal sentai where everybody has the same animal as motif. Heck, even the dinosaur teams have non dinosaurs in them.

Depends a lot on some factors. There is no perfect series, but there are a lot of series that can be considered the best depending of what you like.I think a good case could be made for most of the series being the best... for someone, lol.

Well, Jetman is considered the best by a lot of people. It's dark, has some drama elements. However, it's also a bit campy sometimes, and has very dated effects. It's one of my favorites, but some people think it's overrated.

In my opinion, you could make a good case for Dekaranger, Gekiranger, Magiranger, Abaranger, Changeman, Timeranger, Carranger, Sun Vulcan, Kyoryuger, Gogo-V and Kakuranger being the best, depending on what you want from a series. Each one of them have their problems, but also exceed doing something very well.

Thanks,
I've only seen Gokaiger and Akibaranger but with the Power Ranger stream and the movie hype, I was just looking to try some more Sentai.

I wish Akibaranger never ended.

Hello everyone. :) I have never watched a tokusatsu (Super Sentai minus Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, etc.) series and was wondering if any recommended series are easily available with English subtitles. I would prefer HD quality if possible.

WarRock

You may want to check some of our recommendations in the first post of the 2015 thread =)

Over-Time is a fansub group that only deals with HD quality encodes and has a good amount of our suggestions completely subbed (and what they don't have, usually the groups in their "external links" side panel have).

Any stuff you are looking for? There is a nice variety of tones and themes between all toku shows, from Amazons to Zubat.

Top Bottom