• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

NeonZ

I really like Ex-Aid (as a show), but hopefully Tv-Asahi taking over the Rider production from the start for the next show and on means we'll never get another series with a goofy design that basically just drives away viewers. Kyuranger's designs are great and that silhouette for Build is looking pretty good.

I really like Ex-Aid (as a show), but hopefully Tv-Asahi taking over the Rider production from the start for the next show and on means we'll never get another series with a goofy design that basically just drives away viewers. Kyuranger's designs are great and that silhouette for Build is looking pretty good.

Goofy design does bother me but, you know, Gaim had a goofy design/aesthetic but, turned out to be the GOAT. So there is that. I should try to at least watch the first 10 or so episodes of the other shows.

Sandfox

I don't think we're the target audience lol. I think the Ex-Aid toy sales have been good, but I can't remember anything exact.

NeonZ

I don't think we're the target audience lol. I think the Ex-Aid toy sales have been good, but I can't remember anything exact.

Ex-Aid's toy sales have been good, but there'd be no reason for Tv Asashi's producer to take over the position of main producer from Toei's if they weren't worried about the ratings caused by these weird designs. Every time they go with them there's a big drop.

They actually started being listed as the main producers near the ending of Ghost, but I guess it was too late to change Ex-Aid's main designs. They can keep the transformation gimmicks and collectibles without going with goofy designs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There was a recent interview, I forgot if it was the producer of TOEI or TV Asahi, that basically stated that future riders will h ave more of a surprise/shocking/non-standard design, following from Ex-Aid.

Beardy

I really hope the little wing on the Build silhouette is one of those handkerchief neckties and not a big bulging part on his chest.

Also, watching OOO for the first time and episode 27 and 28 really caught me off guard with the 1000 episode story.

NeonZ

There was a recent interview, I forgot if it was the producer of TOEI or TV Asahi, that basically stated that future riders will h ave more of a surprise/shocking/non-standard design, following from Ex-Aid.

That's from Shirakura, but he isn't a producer for the tv shows anymore since Decade, so what he says doesn't really matter much.

SaviourMK2

Any Amazons fans?
Season 2 snuck up on me, and i made the decision to wait it out until it was ahead a bit so i can watch the next episode without being on edge for too long.

Sandfox

Ex-Aid's toy sales have been good, but there'd be no reason for Tv Asashi's producer to take over the position of main producer from Toei's if they weren't worried about the ratings caused by these weird designs. Every time they go with them there's a big drop.

They actually started being listed as the main producers near the ending of Ghost, but I guess it was too late to change Ex-Aid's main designs. They can keep the transformation gimmicks and collectibles without going with goofy designs.

Toy sales are the thing they care about most and I'm not sure if there's any data saying that weirder designs are hurting the ratings or turning off kids.

Beardy

My issue with the Ex-Aid design is that there's 4 riders with the same base design as Ex-Aid (Ex-Aid, Genm, Para-DX, Cronus).

Tiu Neo

My issue with the Ex-Aid design is that there's 4 riders with the same base design as Ex-Aid (Ex-Aid, Genm, Para-DX, Cronus).

Yep. I didn't like the designs at first, but was able to at least get used to them.

This, however? Meh. They could at least base some on the other Riders.

I just hope Build is either ugly as hell, or that it finally disproves my theory that, recently, good looking riders = bad series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yep. I didn't like the designs at first, but was able to at least get used to them.

This, however? Meh. They could at least base some on the other Riders.

I just hope Build is either ugly as hell, or that it finally disproves my theory that, recently, good looking riders = bad series.

I've noticed that too...
Fouze: Look how stupid that is. All white and that conehead? What is this shi- Oh wow this series is awesome
Wizard: That's a badass suit. Dark red and that cape, this is going to kick bu-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Gaim: ORANGE? SAMURAI?! Are they serious with this? ... Okay you won me over big.
Drive: It's not bad, the tire is stupid though. And hey, alright series.
Ghost: Ooooh I love how original that is. All glow-y and orange that isn't fruit related, the dead eyes, the horn is a bit weird but I am loving this out- OH FUCK THIS SHOW!
Ex-Aid: THIS is how they make up for Ghost? It's way too bright! That stupid hair, those stupid eyes, and that Level 1 form? Who are they kid- okay this show is pretty fucking awesome.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Space Squad is out.

To make the pain less painful,
Doggie and Retsu do not interact or meet, and Retsu doesn't transform
. But we do get
Blue Swat cameo

vareon

I've noticed that too...
Fouze: Look how stupid that is. All white and that conehead? What is this shi- Oh wow this series is awesome
Wizard: That's a badass suit. Dark red and that cape, this is going to kick bu-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Gaim: ORANGE? SAMURAI?! Are they serious with this? ... Okay you won me over big.
Drive: It's not bad, the tire is stupid though. And hey, alright series.
Ghost: Ooooh I love how original that is. All glow-y and orange that isn't fruit related, the dead eyes, the horn is a bit weird but I am loving this out- OH FUCK THIS SHOW!
Ex-Aid: THIS is how they make up for Ghost? It's way too bright! That stupid hair, those stupid eyes, and that Level 1 form? Who are they kid- okay this show is pretty fucking awesome.

I like that there's no reason for this, but damn if this doesn't feel that way.

KingDirk

Fourze was the first Toku show I watched so my baseline is all fucked up for what a "good" costume is. I was onboard with Ex-Aid's base form since day one.

Tiu Neo

Fourze was the first Toku show I watched so my baseline is all fucked up for what a "good" costume is. I was onboard with Ex-Aid's base form since day one.

Eh, for me it's feeling. I can see why some people like Fourze base costume, even with the conehead. I kinda like it too, it's just not as good as others. (The other forms however are horrible).

Amazons 2 - 11

Damn, Nanahazon is OP.

They should have made Iyu a Rider too. She's "important" enough to be one (even if she doesn't really do much - but when she does, it's cool).

And I love to see Jin fighting this season. It's so... wild.

I wonder if there is any way the Amazons will survive. Wouldn't be... conclusive. Unless everyone turns into an amazon in the end?

Toxi

Banned
Fourze's design is great. Yeah, the cone head and white pajamas look goofy, but that fits the character and the tone of the show.

Honestly, most "standard" main rider forms look great. There are only a few I don't like (Ryuki, Decade).

Tiu Neo

Drive is one that could be good, but the Tires fucked up most of the basic forms.

And then other things fucked up Formula (the bulky chest piece, imo. I know what they were going for, but it's ugly) and Tridoron (those highlights on the helmet)

vareon

Eh, for me it's feeling. I can see why some people like Fourze base costume, even with the conehead. I kinda like it too, it's just not as good as others. (The other forms however are horrible).

Amazons 2 - 11

Damn, Nanahazon is OP.

They should have made Iyu a Rider too. She's "important" enough to be one (even if she doesn't really do much - but when she does, it's cool).

And I love to see Jin fighting this season. It's so... wild.

I wonder if there is any way the Amazons will survive. Wouldn't be... conclusive. Unless everyone turns into an amazon in the end?

Yeah IMO it should've been the other way around--Iyu a Rider and Chihiro a "wild" Amazon. I think I like it that way.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Amazons 24

Endgame has begun. I hope Chihiro dies.
Amazon Nanaha is OP indeed. How the hell will she be taken care of?

Big One

Banned
I liked Drive a lot, though it did have some real stupid shit in it. Still Chase turned out to be one of the better Kamen Riders in Neo-Hesei era history imo. His special was also fantastic.

Big One

Banned
I mean compared to Wizard and Ghost, Drive is a masterpiece, lol. But yeah, I can get of get the complaints. It's very by-the-numbers and the side characters are mostly awful outside of the core riders, Belt-san and Kiriko. Also while I did like the Roidmude their arc felt a little too late for me to get invested in them all that much. Literally their character arc was covered in the last few episodes, when it really should've been sprinkled more into the show itself imo.

Tiu Neo

Huh. The support characters and villains are two of the things I like the most on Drive. For me, the support cast just loses to the Fourze cast, and the villains are some of the best and more developed, from the series I watched. Yeah, their development came a bit late, but when it came, it was great.

Huh. The support characters and villains are two of the things I like the most on Drive. For me, the support cast just loses to the Fourze cast, and the villains are some of the best and more developed, from the series I watched. Yeah, their development came a bit late, but when it came, it was great.

Nira and Banno were worse monsters than the Roidmudes themselves.

Gou should've been the MC of Drive. I like Tomari, but his character arc just wasn't as conductive for a year long show. Even during the finale, Sanjo realized it was better to have Gou headline it.

Pluto

So what is stopping them from creating a metal hero tv show these days instead of just movies or Sentai cameos?
Metal Heroes were partly folded into Kamen Rider, these days the suits often resemble metal heroes with bug eses more than classic Kamen Rider suits.

Top Bottom