• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Is Tsurugi also a Fyre Festival exec?

C-j9NhmVoAIVPyM.jpg:large

NeonZ

Ryuta Tasaki directing style is bland from what I've seen of his works.

I really liked how he handled Decade episode 1-3, but I guess those are the only things he has directed that really stood out to me. They had a different director for the final arc and the scenes of worlds clashing weren't nearly as well done as in those first few episodes.

Tiu Neo

Yes, I hope Build is not only intelligent, but also egocentric. It's time for another Tendou.

Ex-Aid 40

So, Masamune wants to Power Rangers the Riders, hm. Kinda asspull-ey, but eh, it works.I kinda liked Emu's plan. It was a bit different for a Rider to do that to the villain, at least.

It was cool having Emu and Pallad fighting together.

vareon

New writer. YES!

Ohmori returning as Toei Producer? Eh...

Ryuta Tasaki coming back as director? Also very "eh". (His work on Drive and Gaim didn't really stand out that much to me. But with that said, he's very capable.)

I'll say that the *actual* plot synopsis sounds promising though. Somebody with a high IQ sounds like the perfect setup for a jerkish/eccentric rider.

Watch him to be a nerdy/awkward rider :p

And yeah the only thing of note about Tasaki is that he's... a director. He directed things before.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The post Decade directorship has been good so I have good faith.

Riders have been good save for Ghost really. They stand out unlike Sentai barring Yamato (which ironically aired alongside Ghost).

New writer. YES!

Ohmori returning as Toei Producer? Eh...

Ryuta Tasaki coming back as director? Also very "eh". (His work on Drive and Gaim didn't really stand out that much to me. But with that said, he's very capable.)

I'll say that the *actual* plot synopsis sounds promising though. Somebody with a high IQ sounds like the perfect setup for a jerkish/eccentric rider.

Yeah, I'd really love him to be a nutty egghead. Like a good-natured Professor Ryoma

Sandfox

Kyuranger is the first new Sentai in a I've been able to get into since Kyoryuger(though I really liked Misao from what I watched last year). I never thought I would say this, but Lucky is the best Red since Marvelous IMO.

Jeffrey

gimme a rider that can kungfu like wizard.

always feel like the actual fights are the boring parts in most KR, especially these days where all these armor add-ons just flop around.

type formula was the worst lol

shaowebb

gimme a rider that can kungfu like wizard.

always feel like the actual fights are the boring parts in most KR, especially these days where all these armor add-ons just flop around.

type formula was the worst lol

Ugh...dont get me started on Wizard. Killer suit. Killer Premise. AMAZING suit actor in a suit that allowed for complete freedom for fight scenes for once.

The early stuff was like in episode 3. A shitload of flips, corkscrews and gymnastic kicks and then gunplay everywhere. Then it turned into them saying "fuck GOOD fight choreography. Replace it with toy shoveling and throwaway powers" like in this scene.

LjAVQfR.gif

It really ruined the only thing the show had that could've made it bearable. It never built a protagonist because it spent 2 episodes building a throwaway character's story as a victim and then the main dude would just show up to fight and fix stuff. No build up to how stones were arriving either. They just shoveled those things in every episode and then most were never heard of again all to try and promote the toys. No build up to his backstory. No personal struggles...just throwaway cast, and then the dashing hero who didn't have a personality. Nothing was built. It was just there and none of it mattered.

Wizard hurt man. Such a great premise, great look, and waste of concept. Had it gotten the Gaim writer from Madoka Magica its hard to say how crazy that list of tools and story elements could have turned out. Instead...turd is the word.

WarRock

@Build news
Eeeeh, I feel like this director has some poor fighting scenes. Unless he doesn't/won't direct action in Build, my hype is a bit deflated. On the other hand, the mooks look like the ones from Megaman Zero - I APPROVE!

Ex Aid 40
tfw the villain has retcon powers

So, at the start I felt kinda meh towards this episode because the whole "monster actually wants to become human/has real feelings" is kinda overdone (that and... all Bugsters have been overdoing how they deal with feelings since day 1, so I'm not sure why single out Parad like that). But then Pallad comments how the concept of life without continues make no sense to him. Wowa, yes, this is perfect! He is a videogame character, and one that always has to exist since players will keep playing his game - death is something that simple doesn't exist for him.

Even then, what really sold this conclusion to me is the fact that Emu took responsibility for Pallad's actions towards humans. Most of his life, Emu played games, and even when decided to become a doctor, he kept playing and sharing the joy of gaming with his patients. Both aspects of his life have directly to do with the fact he was infected by Pallad, that only started killing people because Emu refused to play with him to dedicate himself to work.

It wasn't just a face turn moment for Pallad because he now understands human feelings or whatever - both characters had something to learn, to own and to share. This season has had some nice writing regarding the characters and details like this go a long way to make the show more memorable and interesting for me, personally.

WITH THAT SAID THOUGH... Is Graphite that dense, that much muscle for brains? "Bugsters and humans can never live in peace!" Except, ya' know, for the two that tried - Poppy and Burgermon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Was that something like a pre-preview conference? Or they'll announce the cast at a later date?

I'm guessing that was part of one of the Ex-Aid Movie promotions, since Build's gonna be in it (with GorillaMond appearing too)

Watch Da Birdie

So...Hesei Rider intelligence rankings? This is how I see it pre-Build since he's now the smartest.

Philip is obviously the top, but perhaps not fair necessarily due to being basically a living encyclopedia---and in a way is fairly naive.

Tsukasa and Tendou are probably tied more or less, Tsukasa a bit more intelligent I'd say while Tendou has more luck and charm on his side making him appear smarter.

Emu and Tomari are probably the most intelligent due to their professions, though Emu comes off a bit dumb due to confidence issues I think if you gave them a written test he'd be one of the highest.

Haruto, Hibiki, and Godai are what I'd like to call "unknown qualities"---since they're sort of transient individuals it's hard to say where they rank on intelligence but each of them seem fairly skilled and talented in general that even if they aren't academically gifted I consider them "smart".

Takeru and Wataru both seem like gifted individuals due to their background, with Takeru (when he shows a personality) probably being pretty keen thanks to his temple raising and Wataru a skilled musician, but due to their youth strike me as a bit inexperienced. I think both of them would probably end up being pretty damn smart though once all is said and done.

Eiji and Shotaro are both kind of sort of idiots here and there, but they both seem to downplay their actual intelligence (especially Eiji depending on the writer such as in the first Movie Wars), but specialize in street smarts.

Kenzaki, Takumi, Ryotaro, and Kouta fall near the bottom as the show never played them up as being dense necessarily, but none of them were ever really shown to be particularly bright or display any unique talents to set them apart. But part of this was for the most part Takumi, Kenzaki and Kouta were fairly bland most of the time to judge, while Ryotaro was so unlucky he felt dumber than perhaps he really was. Post-series, though, Kenzaki and Kouta probably became massively intelligent due to their fates.

I forgot how he was pre-amnesia, but Shouichi always seemed comically dumb as did Shinji so I put them around the bottom or so.

Gentarou's probably the dumbest given his age, general personality, and such---but in terms of normal intelligence. You could say he excels at interpersonal relationships, perhaps naively.

Naga is secretly the best ranger on the team.

Is it even secret? It feels like he's become the "Blue" of the series, which is funny because I remember thinking at first him and Balance would be "those two guys" always in the background.

Tiu Neo

Yeah, Naga is the best and always steals the spotlight when he's on the scene. Raptor is great too, when she has some screentime.

I kinda wish they did a bit more with Hammy and Spada. I want to like them, but most of the time they are simply there, not doing much.

Yeah, Naga is the best and always steals the spotlight when he's on the scene. Raptor is great too, when she has some screentime.

I kinda wish they did a bit more with Hammy and Spada. I want to like them, but most of the time they are simply there, not doing much.

It's becoming a problem now. But, it's a problem that happened in past shows when they have a lot of Rangers on screen.

Watch Da Birdie

I was about to say I forget about Raptor half the time---especially when she's morphed, which in my memory seems like never outside of the EVERYONE scenes.

Tiu Neo

One impressive thing about Build is how one of the early rumors (the Drinks) is actually true.

It's becoming a problem now. But, it's a problem that happened in past shows when they have a lot of Rangers on screen.

Yeah, but they can fix that. They don't need a lot of focus, but it would be cool if they got a mini-arc, kinda like Champ/Stinger/Kotaro got. Champ didn't even get a lot of focus, but at least he has a complete backstory with a good conclusion.

WarRock

Reminder that Gentaro was a high schooler who started sweating bullets when confronted to the question "How much is the square root of 49?".

One impressive thing about Build is how one of the early rumors (the Drinks) is actually true.

Yeah, but they can fix that. They don't need a lot of focus, but it would be cool if they got a mini-arc, kinda like Champ/Stinger/Kotaro got. Champ didn't even get a lot of focus, but at least he has a complete backstory with a good conclusion.
We are 2/5 the way done with the show and I hope they give more characters time to shine.

Top Bottom