• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

WarRock

Ex-Aid 41
Those are some huge explosions, wow.

I'm not sure what we've done to deserve Dan, but he keeps being the best. Kiriya's reaction to him shouting like he was done also got me laughing out loud.

I am glad Graphite didn't go with the cliche attitude of feeling betrayed and declaring Parad an enemy, but the fight against Taiga and Hiiro, action and narrative wise, isn't an adequate or satisfactory ending to his arc (or his conflict with Taiga). Guess we're just speeding through loose ends to finish the show now. Dan just remaking Hyper Muteki and giving everyone "saves" is such a cop out heh.

That trailer had, imo, less of a Neo-Heisei and more of a early Heisei vibe. Even a bit of Showa, at that surgery/dark place scene. The setting is kinda different too, with Japan divided in three. Kinda like an AU, I like it.
Definitely! Art direction, location, brief action moments and the direction of some scenes (I saw bikes like, thrice in that trailer!) in the preview are going somewhat for early the Heisei soap opera/drama style, mixed with the more colorful/cartoon style of late Heisei. If we could get scenes that actually feel like they're happening in a live town (with traffic, in different times of the day, seeing people going around and working without being gags/over the top scenes with gimmicks/monsters attacking) again I'll be overjoyed. The two moments with some punching didn't have shaky cam or weird cuts, hope this is the rule and not the exception. (It also had more brawl like punching like Showa and early Heisei had instead of flailing into CGI, but I guess they just didn't want to show off the "special moves" yet.)

The bottle shaking feels awkward, the plamo effect is a great and unexpected idea, but yeah, the belt kinda sucks. It doesn't feel like it belongs to this Rider.

Jury still out for the henshin poses.

All said and done, positive impressions.

delSai

Yea the trailer was alright. Lead Actor reminded me of some past Kamen Rider actor. Belt voice is pretty neat, some of the scenes made it seem like an Amazons for a younger audience.

What i really want now is a Kamen Rider game that's like Gundam Breakers.

WarRock

eaTA1OZ.jpg
This photo is great.

javadoze

Though I'm still on guard about Build possibly dropping the ball, the trailer looks great. Gives me hope that Build's actor (Inukai Atsuhiro) seems to have more acting credits than a typical lead rider.

That trailer had, imo, less of a Neo-Heisei and more of a early Heisei vibe. Even a bit of Showa, at that surgery/dark place scene. The setting is kinda different too, with Japan divided in three. Kinda like an AU, I like it.

Of course, can't really know a lot just by the trailer, but it's promising, imo.

And while Build's main suit is great, and the enemy Riders look good, I'm not really feeling the visor for some of the alternate forms.

Definitely. Also, it didn't really emphasize the rider stuff until the very end of the trailer, which I like (reminds me of something like Kuuga where there was usually 1 fight each episode, mostly taking place at the end to serve as a climax to the drama).

EDIT: Preview of Build's OP just dropped.

vareon

My friend was absolutely ecstatic that Build seems to have a "dark" tone and premise in the trailer (he's the dark and edgy kind of guy), reminding him of the early Heisei series. I...kinda wished he watched more modern Kamen Rider lol.

Tiu Neo

My friend was absolutely ecstatic that Build seems to have a "dark" tone and premise in the trailer (he's the dark and edgy kind of guy), reminding him of the early Heisei series. I...kinda wished he watched more modern Kamen Rider lol.

Well, maybe this will be the series that will make him come back? I mean, it still has some of the Neo-Heisei things, it just feels more like a early Heisei series in the trailer.

For me, I just miss some of the early Heisei weirdness, heh.

WarRock

What gets me is that the bottles are tiny and he shakes them so slowly and with no energy, in a weird looking grip, to then proceed into posing that doesn't utilize similar movements at all. Should've gone full ham with the thing, shake it like you mean it.

Actually, as a toys, do the bottles do anything or are they just larger medals?

javadoze

What gets me is that the bottles are tiny and he shakes them so slowly and with no energy, in a weird looking grip, to then proceed into posing that doesn't utilize similar movements at all. Should've gone full ham with the thing, shake it like you mean it.

From the look of it, I'm assuming it's another AstroSwitch/ShiftCar/Eyecon type toy where the collectibles are just pieces of plastic with no IR chips or electronics (save for special forms).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, this is definitely early Heisei vibes---not to mention it's far more high-concept than the past couple of series, since lately it's basically been "our Earth + this bad thing happened once and now there's all these monsters but otherwise it's okay!"---but that also means, on the downside, it can fall apart quite easily like what happened with Kabuto basically abandoning the destroyed Shinjuku element and everything.

None of the characters strike me as particularly quirky either, bar the M.C. for once who looks like he won't necessarily be the straight-man like the last couple of Riders.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Few days late but got around to this week's Toku.

Kyuranger 23

New villains, and they look like serious threats. Nice.
Yeah I'm glad that Lucky isn't entirely a hot-blooded idiot. He has more to him.
Tsurugi is still awesome... he is so dead though. Flags all over.

Ex-Aid 41

Always save your game kids.
Gemdeus is here, and everyone is fucked. Endgame time!

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 41

So, this is where the movie and series timelines split?

Anyway, this reset thing was totally a cop-out. Kuroto developing everything again also feels like that. Well, actually, that's a big problem with this series, most of the solutions feel like cop-outs. Well, at least it's still great.

And we got a real and satisfying end for Graphite vs Hiiro, Taiga and Nico. And the final boss is here.

Kuroto was even better than usual at this episode. I'll miss him after Ex-Aid ends.

i thought dude looked familiar. i wonder if this means hes no longer attached to amazons, or if its cancelled

Well, his character arc is pretty much done, so it's just that his character won't show up on Season 3.

ahdurian

Ex-Aid 41

Man that felt like such a copout...

also, Dan is fucking hilarious.
I love his gloating pose near the end, like in One Piece with Boa, where it's like "I'm looking down on you so much I'm looking up"

EDIT: also just saw the Build Henshin....that makes me feel so awkward

vareon

They shake like a shaker pencil, I guess. All Kamen Rider trinkets are basically fidgety stuff anyway.

I think what's awkward about the shake is Sento's straight face when doing it. Would've liked it with more swag or full awareness that what he's doing looks stupid.

WillyFive

*Rider looks like a girl.
*That clip of the unmorphed fight scene looked terrible.
*Characters look like the usual Rider tropes.
*The Rider costume clashes with pretty much everything else about the toy line and show.

Not looking good so far.

Zynx

Bet the man with the "highest IQ in history" is going to do very dumb things.

Suit looks great. Hope the show is good too.

NeonZ

The suit fits in just fine with the high tech theme of the grunts and monsters. If anything is out of place it's just the belt. It's the only part of the design that seems old fashioned, with the lever and old factory design elements. We also seem to be avoiding an "everyman" protagonist for the first time in a while.

vareon

*Rider looks like a girl.
*That clip of the unmorphed fight scene looked terrible.
*Characters look like the usual Rider tropes.
*The Rider costume clashes with pretty much everything else about the toy line and show.

Not looking good so far.

Um not to say you're wrong but you can use this list to almost every Post-Decade Riders.

Beardy

Bet the man with the "highest IQ in history" is going to do very dumb things.

Suit looks great. Hope the show is good too.

The guy built a Rube Goldberg machine to make toast. It's guaranteed to be an irrelevant character trait.

Tiu Neo

Eh, I think they are going for the "Weird Genius" trope. Kinda like Phillip, hopefully with a big touch of hubris.

Tiu Neo

Apparently, the original Kamen Rider Amazon actor is coming out of retirement, or at least he'll be on TV with other veteran Riders for a show.

I hope he shows up on a future Taisen or something like that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Apparently, the original Kamen Rider Amazon actor is coming out of retirement, or at least he'll be on TV with other veteran Riders for a show.

I hope he shows up on a future Taisen or something like that.

Hmm I wonder when they do season 3 of Amazons will he appear in there?

Sweet Jesus I just caught up on Kamen Rider Ex Aid.

I know its heavily implied.

But did Brave & Snipe really fight Graphite from like 6-7pm until 7am ish? Dayum.

Graphite was my 2nd favorite baddie

Top Bottom