• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

WarRock

Fourze still has my favorite Rider finale; it would have been Gaim if it had ended at the actual finale and not the one or two pointless episodes that came after it, which weren't even by the same writer.
Fourze and Drive got the best ones to me.

OOO could be there too, but...

Honestly felt like they could have ended it today, but had to pad it.

I think I concur with you. Actually I think it ties with this general qualm I have with how the show has handled the main antagonist.
I understand that Dan Masamune has to madly scramble for ways to claw back some essence of control over the game, but these recent fake-outs and deus ex machina methods are getting tiresome partially because of my personal fatigue with this guy, and largely because it cheapens a sense of accomplishment afforded to our protagonists. Emu and Parad finally joining up as co-op allies to put an end to Cronus's Gashat once and for all should be an oh shit moment when the tables are turned at long last and Masamune is dealt a decisive defeat with meaning. Instead the writers decide to pad it out and dilute the moment by bestowing Masamune with the ability to also pull mechanics out of his arse.

It feels like there is some kind of obligation on the writing team to drag Masamune's presence out as much as possible, to the detriment of any satisfaction we would have enjoyed when he finally gets his comeuppance. Watching this latest episode and seeing him easily supplant Gamedeus as the final boss, I didn't feel like this was yet another seminal moment where the stakes are raised and our main antagonist is once again doing something meaningful. My visceral reaction was like that of our heroes when he intrudes on the fight yet again. Please go away. If they really had to use Masamune as the last boss, they could have easily come up with any other route to get there without the reset feature from a couple of episodes ago, but apparently for whatever reason it's mandatory for Cronus to be the one to defeat Gamedeus or something, I dunno.

Plus there's the fact that reset raises some potent questions too. As probably mentioned already: is Saki's data still retained now?

delSai

I wish we couldve seen Genm use the bike in fights more. The way he debuted in Ghost, using the Shakariki Sports bike as a weapon was so cool and probably one of my favorite moments in Ghost.

Which says a lot about Ghost. But Dangerous Zombie is cool too at least.

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 24

And... that was it for the Red conflict, at least for now. Gotta say, Tsurugi really has a lot of death flags this episode, too.

And now he has an attack called Supernova. It's probably just a coincidence, but to me he really is a reference to 80s sentai.

Kyuranger 24

And... that was it for the Red conflict, at least for now. Gotta say, Tsurugi really has a lot of death flags this episode, too.

And now he has an attack called Supernova. It's probably just a coincidence, but to me he really is a reference to 80s sentai.

I don't think it's a coincidence, his mannerisms, suit design, and even the age of the character just scream Showa Super Sentai. Pheonix Soldier is basically a rejected pitch for a space-themed SS show called Kyuranger from the late 80s or early 90s.

He's a very endearing character and I hope the loss of conflict between him and everyone else doesn't ruin him.

Also, hot-blooded Lucky is very cool.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Iwanaga: Because I portrayed Kuroto, if I can hear people say “I want this guy to portray a pervert” or “I want this guy to portray someone strange” I’d be happy.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 42

That was a good idea for creating a vaccine. The medical part of the episode was pretty well done too.

Kamen Rider has a problem with Mad Dads.

...that ending. Dan Kuroto is the best.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
5f2k8n2.jpg

What a great shot

He's wearing two belts. Who does he think he is, Tommy Wiseau?

jwk94

Ex-Aid 42

That was a good idea for creating a vaccine. The medical part of the episode was pretty well done too.

Kamen Rider has a problem with Mad Dads.

...that ending. Dan Kuroto is the best.

Meanwhile, Power Rangers has a recent problem with absentee dads.

WarRock

If there is any justice in this world, we'll still see Ryoma x Kuroto shenanigans one day.

That last minute of Ex-Aid 42 was so good. Masamune going ham after not securing the deal for the worldwide release and getting his invincible last resort defeated (by Kiriya, who already had screwed him before) makes sense, and I'm okay with a last battle uniting all Riders at their best. Don't think we've seen Taddle Legacy fight alongside Hyper Muteki or Gear Zero yet, for instance.

And I can't mention enough how much of a good job the Dangerous Zombie stunt actor is doing, wow.

EX -Aid question.

So Kuroto let me himself get killed by the virus exposure all those times. Lazer hit himself once and toughed it out? Did Kuroto just take took deaths to repent? Hmm.

Loved this ep because Lazer kicked so much arse, literally. Whoo~

I get confused about power levels but Gear 0s can take each other out right? But the series just plays around this often.

Anyway its was weird seeing Lazer ride that bike of himself. By the way, this series has managed to not have bikes. I thought that was weird but it works considering they have had stage select.

WarRock

Nah, Lazer was dying too, that's why he fell to the ground after the fight, but then Dan cured him (that's why he's holding his hand over Kiriya and Kiriya turns surprised).

NeonZ

Has anybody here watch the Kamen Sentai Gorider web series at all? I watch the first eps and wondered if anybody here also watched it?

Yes. I thought it was pretty great, but it likely loses some impact if you didn't watch it when it originally aired (right after Dan Kuroto's death). In spite of the name, it's pretty much just a Kamen Rider mini-series. The Goriders are just a power up. So, don't go watching it expecting any Sentai cameos. It also has big spoilers for Blade's ending, so if you care about spoilers don't watch it without watching Blade.

Yes. I thought it was pretty great, but it likely loses some impact if you didn't watch it when it originally aired (right after Dan Kuroto's death). In spite of the name, it's pretty much just a Kamen Rider mini-series. The Goriders are just a power up. So, don't go watching it expecting any Sentai cameos.
I guess that is the case. I like they brought past actors to play their dead characters again and have them interact this way. My plan is to watch the rest of it over the weekend.

Tiu Neo

Geed 6

I like how most of Riku's "problems" are because of Laiha, heh.

Leito/Zero is still the best character.

Next episode, the villain will reveal himself already, huh?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
THE D E U S IS L O O S E

I'll accept the "it's video games, bruh!" asspull at the end there.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
THE D E U S IS L O O S E

I'll accept the "it's video games, bruh!" asspull at the end there.
it's not even an asspull, it's a common video game trope that I'm surprised Emu didn't catch, but then again he is mostly a platformer gamer and that stuff is a rarity.

Tiu Neo

Kyurangers 25

Nice idea for an episode, kinda like Yamato's mother last year but with more members. Nice foreshadowing for the next episode's plot, too. Kotaro's conflict was kinda fast, but didn't get annoying, so it's fine.

And, with that, the first of the Vice-Shoguns is gone already. I thought it would take a bit more time for that, heh.

Kotaro mother actress looked familiar, searched, she was on a lot of toku things (including being the second Deka Yellow).

Next episode, Naga focus with double Naga, oh yeah.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They had Ohtori meet his friend but then did absolutely nothing with it.

The mech fight justified having 12 members on the team better than the ground fight did.

Tiu Neo

They had Ohtori meet his friend but then did absolutely nothing with it.

The mech fight justified having 12 members on the team better than the ground fight did.

I think it was a way to show how he could be rational on those kinds of situations, to contrast with the different ways Kotaro and Xiao did it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What is that cave/quarry they fought in? See it a lot in japanese shows
pedreira-tokusatsu.jpg

apparently Japan has a lot of land area unsuitable for land development and yet no one owns those, so shooting is fine there

some googling says it's in Yorii, Saitama

Tiu Neo

pedreira-tokusatsu.jpg

apparently Japan has a lot of land area unsuitable for land development and yet no one owns those, so shooting is fine there

some googling says it's in Yorii, Saitama

Good old Toei Quarry. It wasn't used a lot in the 2000s, and it's showing up a bit more now (dunno if it's the same one), but in the 80's and early 90's some shows had almost every big fight there, heh.

NeonZ

Black RX gets really silly with it. Every time someone is thrown through a wall or out of a building they seem to land there.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 43

So, last episode conflict and resolution were pretty much useless, huh. Gotta say, I love the characters, and how the series didn't get boring, but ever since Kuroto first came back, the series is just getting more and more ass-pulley. This final plot isn't event that good, but the characters are so good they carry it.

And Nico should've been the one who became Cronus Or at least get Snipe from Taiga, after he got it. That said, at least it was a cool moment with a good payoff for Taiga, I guess.

Kuroto was great as always, but... why was Kiriya infected and him not?

Final boss next week. I imagine 45 will just be the Build crossover.

WillyFive

Good old Toei Quarry. It wasn't used a lot in the 2000s, and it's showing up a bit more now (dunno if it's the same one), but in the 80's and early 90's some shows had almost every big fight there, heh.

I think it's a different one. The one from the 80s/90s is now green and full of grass.

Beardy

There's a video floating around on Facebook and somebody already has the DX Build Driver.

Is it against the rules to post it here?

Also people already have the bottles for the Gorillamond form for Build. Looks like the bottles are pin-based collectibles like the shift cars from Drive.

There's a video floating around on Facebook and somebody already has the DX Build Driver.

Is it against the rules to post it here?

Also people already have the bottles for the Gorillamond form for Build. Looks like the bottles are pin-based collectibles like the shift cars from Drive.
I would say yes.

Top Bottom