• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Slayven

"Oh crap, I forgot the Ex-Aid shoes. What am I gonna do?"

"Say no more."

DH3RdeuXcAAY4N8.jpg

Ex-aid can get a lot of "Game clear"s there

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Still surprised we didn't get any Ex-Aid stuff in Tekken 7 as DLC, seemed possible with it being a Bandai-Namco property and Tekken appearing in the show...

Actually I was hoping the Summer Movie would've been a full-on Tekken cross-over---imagine Ex-Aid Lars Gashat, or like a re-skin of Poppy like that one Tekken android girl.

NeonZ

Still surprised we didn't get any Ex-Aid stuff in Tekken 7 as DLC, seemed possible with it being a Bandai-Namco property and Tekken appearing in the show...

Actually I was hoping the Summer Movie would've been a full-on Tekken cross-over---imagine Ex-Aid Lars Gashat, or like a re-skin of Poppy like that one Tekken android girl.

There were some tie ins early on, but only with very old franchises (Pacman in Heisei Generations, Pacman, Xevious and FamiStadium in the Genm net series, Xevious and Galaxian in CSHT). I guess they think something like Tekken has limited appeal to general audiences, while nostalgia might help those games they featured.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 44

I wish Masamune/Cronus was a bit less repetitive. Every episode he uses some Deus Ex Machina to get a new power or something. Not even JRPG bosses have that many forms. I mean, the character is good, but ffs, it got repetitive a few episodes back, already.

Gotta say
Poppy's death was very well done, and I wish she doesn't return, or it will weaken the moment like a certain other series did.
But, you know, deaths on Ex-Aid don't really have that much impact anymore, thanks to the retcon fest it was earlier.
That is, unless all the Bugsters - including ressurrected people - have to die by the end. But I doubt that will happen.

And hey, they remembered that silly rule from the first few episodes that nobody cared about since episode 10! Nice to see more Level 1 fights. They will also will use that night scene with all riders in the last episode, which is cool.

Build looks great in action, and I love what they have shown of the character. Good start.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can't believe Ex-Aid is over next week.
Damn good season overall, despite the weird suit designs. I hope we get another Kuroto Dan character in a couple seasons (not every one as that would get old)

Build is still looking good, despite the weird transformation devices. I get the W references but why the shaking?

Kyuranger is... something I guess. It's not bad, but it definitely suffers from too many characters. Maybe the new era will enact some changes? Or are the changes between Showa & Heisei merely in our minds?

Oh yeah, and Ninja Stale still sucks. Ratings and toy sales are in the toilet. Saban better go streaming for the next season.

Tiu Neo

I... kinda like what they are doing with Kyuranger. It's not a great series, but they are trying a lot of new things, and bringing some older elements back at the same time. Sentai was getting a bit stale, it needs something like that.

I just hope Toei/TV Asahi keeps things fresh next season too.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Some characters in Kyuranger are straight useless and the amount of characters in the fights are ridiculous when they're ganging up on like one guy.

NeonZ

There are only two characters in Kyuranger I'd consider worse than average for Sentai (Hammy and Spada), so I think they've mostly solved the character focus issues. And I liked how it has handled progression. It really doesn't feel like there's a slow middle series section, unlike most Sentai shows. They also often incorporate the robots or ships into the plot rather than leaving them for throw away end of episodes battle. I've been enjoying a lot of what it's doing.

Tiu Neo

I think both Spada and Hammy have some potential, they just need a bit more focus. Hammy actress wasn't that good at the begining, but she's getting better.

Garu is the character that needs a lot more development, imo. I mean, all we have from him right now is that he became a Lucky fanboy.

Raptor and Champ would also be nice to have, but at least they were important on previous arcs, even if the spotlights wasn't on them.

At least they know that Naga and Balance are great, and gave them a lot of great moments up to now.

Pluto

There are only two characters in Kyuranger I'd consider worse than average for Sentai (Hammy and Spada), ...
I don't think they're bad characters, they just didn't get much focus yet but it looks like Hammy will get some in the current Naga arc. I actually like Spada a lot and hope he gets focus soon too.

WarRock

So, apparently, Dan Slott used the toku Spider-man in the Spider-Verse event without knowing Marvel didn't have the rights to it. After he appeared in some issues, Toei contacted Marvel and warned them to no do it again.

wtf?

BatDan

So, apparently, Dan Slott used the toku Spider-man in the Spider-Verse event without knowing Marvel didn't have the rights to it. After he appeared in some issues, Toei contacted Marvel and warned them to no do it again.

wtf?

Man Toei really is the worst.

WarRock

I honestly put the blame on Marvel here. Either don't let him use the character, or try to make a deal before using him. But who the fuck knows what really happened.

Stuart444

I know I'm in the minority but it feels weird to not translate stuff like Shishi, Sasori, etc when it's a show involving these constellations.

Part of why I like Overtime subs tbh.

Sad to see this show end. I haven't been too fond of how they've handled the finale since the reset, and I quickly grew sick of Cronus (of all the villains who would seemingly never die), but I'll miss Ex-Aid and it's been a solid ride from start to end. Now to let it it marinate a bit.

I'd ask where the Gamedeus weapons even came from given that it's been excised from Masamune's body, but I've given up trying to properly understand this universe's specific game mechanics. I'll just presume he got some sick loot drops after felling Gamedeus a few episodes ago.

NeonZ

Four V-Cinemas? Fuuuck.
Who's Scope? You mean Snipe?

Technically, 3 V-Cinemas

Brave & Snipe are sharing one, although it's two short stories, going by the title announcement. Then there's Parad also featuring Poppy and the final one, Lazer vs Genm.

The promo showed Dan with his GoRiders' haircut. I wonder if the plot will be about a 2nd Dan backup appearing.

BatDan

Three is still cool.

Yeah, Ex-Aid must have been a hit. Considering Ghost only got one V-Cinema...

Tiu Neo

Crunchy's Geed subtitles were fucked up from 13 minutes+, on 1080p, but ok on lower resolutions.

Geed 08

So, part of Belial's plan is to train Geed as a hero... for some reason? Maybe to get Zero to train his son and try to turn him evil after that? Or was Zero coming back something he didn't plan? At least Kei didn't seem to expect that, but was amused by it.

Today's fight was fantastic, and Zero's new powers are so cool. His new suit is awesome, and having Leito inside of him using the powers was cool. Trully the best character.

How much time until Leito's family at least suspects he's either Zero or Geed?

Zynx

Ah, Ex-aid. I also think the final arc could've been better - since we had such amazing characters already to work with, but it was fine. At least it didn't completely crap itself partway though like so many other series. When all is said and done, probably my third favorite series behind Gaim and Blade.

Looks like plenty of budget was saved for the last episode's combat, which was nice. I wish there was a moment with Emu playing Doremifabeat with Poppy, or maybe Nico playing Tekken with Parad.

What other related media is there out there and subbed? I'm looking at a wiki page and there's more than a handful of special episodes.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 45 (Final)

That was a nice ending. Cool callback to a scene in the first few episodes' opening. And I'm glad this ended early. I dunno if three more Cronus ressurections would be a good idea.

Poppy and Pallad coming back... eh, normally I'd say this weakens the plot, just like it did with a certain previous series, but with so many people coming back in this series, I didn't really expect it to happen.

I like how much time we had just for the character conclusions. They were the strongest part of the series, and I feel everything closed well. Let's see the movie and the V-Cinemas.

I'll miss Dan.

---

Now, the series. I like how, from episode 1 to about episode 35-40, there wasn't really a slump, and we had exciting things happening every episode. Then, they began to repeat a lot of the same plot - Cronus gets a new power, is defeated by the heroes new power, repeat. I feel this could be done better, maybe if we had, after Muteki, Genmdeus show up earlier, while Cronus is out for a few episodes, then Cronus returns, and the big bad is Cronus fused with Genm.

But, well, still a very strong series. Not my favorite, but probably my top 5.

Top Bottom