• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was about to mention this. That man and woman who were sitting near Gentoku on the day Japan split are likely going to be the main reps of Hokuto and Seito.

That's what I was thinking---I also wonder if they're Nightrouge, Bloodstalk, and a third one we haven't seen yet with each one raising an army to fight.

javadoze

Kamen Rider Build 1

Damn good introduction.

The first episode of Build's biggest accomplishment is how down-to-earth and natural it all feels. No forced wackiness unlike the past few Rider shows. Any gags that happened instead felt organic and informed us about the character(s) in question: Sento and Misora drawing on each others faces, the Aide asking the journalist to sleep with him, the cafe owner referring to a year's worth of bills, and even Ryuga's open fly (which can be seen earlier in the episode).

I'm surprised how the show depicted the human experimentation stuff. That seemed like it'd be watered-down, but thankfully, that's not the case. (inb4 "we've received calls from parents saying this was too scary for their kids, so we had to tone it down")

Only thing I wasn't so crazy about was the episode's fight being abrupt, but the motorcycle sequence and character interactions made up for it.

Came out very positive about the direction of the show. Hope this keeps up.

Here is a question that some may have already wondered...

If Build gets his bottles from defeating a Smash monster, taking their essence and developing it into a bottle, how did he get Rabbit Tank? Did that lassie give them to him, does he perhaps have an unseen blank form, or did the anatagonists invent Build to be some form of soldier, equipping him with Rabbit Tank as a base form?

Rabbit or Tank was likely his base form in the experimentation. My out-of-nowhere theory is he was either Rabbit or Tank, and a proto-Rider using the other one defeated his Smash form and left him with both bottles.

Didn't Philip stole Cyclone and Joker when he fled or something like that?

He did.

Calling my shot, the Pandora box is full of the minds of aliens and the flash over wrote minds of everyone there. Smash are their attempts to build better bodies for the take over

I agree with this.

Just like the Gaim cafe, the cafe owner will be too cool for the show and never get enough attention or a belt )=

You never know, he could be another Bravo A.K.A. Mr. Dangerous.

tumblr_inline_ou6d2yfQIQ1se3pxw_540.gif

----------------------

Gave Build another watch. It's a bit better this go round, but I'm still not quite sold on it.

Tiu Neo

Wait, Gaim Café? The fruit thing or the Patisserie?

Because Oren got a belt - and deserved it. But yeah, so underused. :(

And the Fruit bar thing guy totally
was TheBee in Kabuto

javadoze

I love spotting reused sets in these shows for some reason (guessing they're reusing the Drive/Ghost Pit for the laboratory as well).

NeonZ

Was Sid's S lock seed the biggest tease and disappointment?

I don't know what people expected when it was clear he was just doing dirty work for Yggdrazil and the actual tech came from Ryoma. Sid obviously wouldn't get something above Ryoma's own lockseed.

Jeffrey

one thing worth mentioning, i do like how they don't doll up sento much in terms of makeup. Always annoying in toku lol. Yeah its to get the moms happy, but gets kinda distracting when 'hard boiled cop' looks like he spends hours every morning on that blush.

WillyFive

Build 1

That was the best Rider premiere in years.

I'm liking it for two main reasons:

1. It's a return to form for Kamen Rider, not just by remaking the premise of Kamen Rider 1, but by also getting back to being more mature and less wacky. It reminded me a lot of Kabuto, in fact.

2. It's actually funny. I haven't found a Rider show to be actually funny since the first few episodes of Gaim, or way back to the age of Fourze and Den-O.

I'm interested to see where this goes, the first episode of Ex-Aid did not grab me at all because it failed at those two reasons, but this one hit it out of the park for me.

TokuGAF, I have a question. After seeing Build, I'm really interested in binge watching a toku show and I'm between Ex Aid (which I liked the first few episodes but i'm just bad and keeping up with shows weekly) or starting Garo which interested me after the FFXIV crossover event.

Any suggestions?

Watch Da Birdie

You know RocketPanda seems like a random "Best Match!" at first, then you remember that they're both related to China---the first gunpowdered rockets were developed in Song China, after all.

Now I'm wondering if the other BEST MATCHES are more clever than they first appear.GorillaMond could be a shout-out to the Michael Crichton's "Congo", involving super gorillas who guard a diamond mine.

Slayven

You know RocketPanda seems like a random "Best Match!" at first, then you remember that they're both related to China---the first gunpowdered rockets were developed in Song China, after all.

Now I'm wondering if the other BEST MATCHES are more clever than they first appear.GorillaMond could be a shout-out to the Michael Crichton's "Congo", involving super gorillas who guard a diamond mine.

Damn Toku is crazy enough to work that in, Goseiger had some deep references

WarRock

What the hell

I'm still trying to figure out RabbiTank.

Watch Da Birdie

There's a book called "The Hawk is Dying" which features a man named George Gattling that ends up training a Hawk.

By god, I think I've cracked the code---now I need to figure out what novel connects rabbits and tanks.

Slayven

There's a book called "The Hawk is Dying" which features a man named George Gattling that ends up training a Hawk.

By god, I think I've cracked the code---now I need to figure out what novel connects rabbits and tanks.

peter+rabbit1.jpg

A fake book that became an urban legend years ago on the internet

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 28

Damn, the feels in this one. Poor Balance, and Naga. They really are a good team...

Major twist with Orion.

WarRock

If the theory is correct, then we have to wonder how literature fits with the plot/other motifs. Maybe the box holds the knowledge of aliens or something like that?

Watch Da Birdie

peter+rabbit1.jpg

A fake book that became an urban legend years ago on the internet

Whoa.

This is getting real. I feel like Toei is gonna come by our houses now and off us for cracking the code.

Bet you at some point in Build we're gonna meet the Martians responsible for the Full Bottle shit and they'll be like "yeah, we read some of your books and made all of these."

Watch Da Birdie

I don't know if everything will be obscure literature reference, but I assume there's probably thought behind each BEST COMBINATION! even if they appear random...

Panda + Rocket because they originated in China
Gorilla + Diamond is probably a reference to Michael Crichton

And some of the other leaked ones seem like perhaps referencing other Toku combos (I think we had a Spider Fridge monster in some Sentai, and Penguin x Skateboard is probably referencing Michelle Peng from Gekiranger, who was...a skateboarding penguin.

Slayven

I don't know if everything will be obscure literature reference, but I assume there's probably thought behind each BEST COMBINATION! even if they appear random...

Panda + Rocket because they originated in China
Gorilla + Diamond is probably a reference to Michael Crichton

And some of the other leaked ones seem like perhaps referencing other Toku combos (I think we had a Spider Fridge monster in some Sentai, and Penguin x Skateboard is probably referencing Michelle Peng from Gekiranger, who was...a skateboarding penguin.

latest

Was just in Ninnger

WarRock

Ninja/Comic could be either Kakuranger or Arashi (that didn't receive a modern uplift like Inazuman or Kikaider). Both use a sword too.

BossRush

I really hope we get "best match" smash monsters later down the line. Then we'd REALLY start feeling like Showa.

Kangaroo/Spring?

latest

Top Bottom