• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are the environments themselves also randomised, or only the elements populating them?

Only the elements populating them, which is a bit of a downer. Its still a fun game and I sure am glad it has loads of unlockables, but it doesnt have the same pull that FTL had for me.

Which gets me to think, are there any more "weird" Roguelikes out there? Like FTL or Tokyo Jungle, both not being "traditional" roguelikes but they feel so fresh.

zulux21

My adventure as a silka deer where all nice and good until I found a pack of wolves and nearly kill me. Luckily i went on hide and while hiding there was a Boar who got angry and started fighting whit them.. I died of hunger :(

I lost to the wolves (spoiler tags just in case someone doesn't want to read how a run went)
(year 29 a little over 47kSP) lol but that wasn't before I went through an area with lions and tigers every where. They luckily didn't get along so when there was 4 tigers and 2 lions blocking my path, and they were fighting, I just walked through the middle of them and they ignored me >>

I did notice the challenges were laid out a bit differently in single player than multiplayer though as multiplayer doesn't have those first 6 step quests. I also haven't had a chance to unlock more creatures in MP, but in single player I got both the chick and gazelle in one go

How are you guys unlocking new animals? I've played as the Pomeranian three times trying to find the event where you unlock the cat. I completed my mission requirements to unlock the challange but always lose because 30 years pass. I gotten 50+ years three times and all three times I have tried to hurry and unlock the mission requirements and look for the cat boss. The start menu doesn't say where it's at or at what location, it just says take the cat's terrortory.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How are you guys unlocking new animals? I've played as the Pomeranian three times trying to find the event where you unlock the cat. I completed my mission requirements to unlock the challange but always lose because 30 years pass. I gotten 50+ years three times and all three times I have tried to hurry and unlock the mission requirements and look for the cat boss. The start menu doesn't say where it's at or at what location, it just says take the cat's terrortory.

Yes it does. Highlight the cat mission and wait for the text to scroll.

Yuterald

I believe you have to play as different animals to unlock others. I guess each animal has a unique "Animal unlock" challenge that is cycled (or fixed) every time you start the game with said animal. So, play well as the Cat (complete challenges) and you'll probably unlock some other buddy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aw man, I left my PS3 on overnight to download this since my PSN speeds are terrible only to get home after work and find that the download got borked. Maybe it's because I didn't activate background downloading before hitting the shut down button? Weird. Oh well, it's already at 1% so I'll be playing this in no time.

Koroviev

Aw man, I left my PS3 on overnight to download this since my PSN speeds are terrible only to get home after work and find that the download got borked. Maybe it's because I didn't activate background downloading before hitting the shut down button? Weird. Oh well, it's already at 1% so I'll be playing this in no time.

Have you tried offering a sacrifice to the based Sony gods?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How are you supposed to tell where it's toxic or not? I see no indicator until I've ran all the way there

That indicator would be pretty moot anyway, you'd need an indicator for where its going to be toxic in like 15 minutes. Once you walked through a region to a possibly toxic region, the formerly toxic region would already be fine again anyway.

How are you supposed to tell where it's toxic or not? I see no indicator until I've ran all the way there

I'm also wondering that... They definitely could have made some things more clear, I wouldn't have known about dragging animals unless I read it here.

With that said, I want to tell everyone in the world about this game.

zulux21

I'm also wondering that... They definitely could have made some things more clear, I wouldn't have known about dragging animals unless I read it here.

With that said, I want to tell everyone in the world about this game.

I think the best course of action to do that would to be
1. trying to lure PETA to boycott the game due to it promoting animal cruelty/ Promoting people getting enjoyment out of killing animals.
2. Getting Fox news on board.

Nothing helps sales more than fox and peta making a big deal about a game :p

Pranay

With the speed issues and Corrupted file issues lately i think everyone should better start dl games to pc and then resending them to ps3 via ps3proxy

zulux21

Can you elaborate a little please? Just trying to avoid spoilers in making up my mind on the game. All but set to buy.

If you aim to 100% things (unlock all clothing, animals, story mode) I would guess it would take a min of 30 hours... likely quite a bit more.

Yuterald

Can you elaborate a little please? Just trying to avoid spoilers in making up my mind on the game. All but set to buy.

Tokyo Jungle is kind of a "what you make of it" sort-of game. There are two primary modes, Survival and Story. In Survival Mode, you pick an animal and essentially survive as long as you can. It's an incredibly arcade-like experience. You earn points by either completing randomly generated objectives or surviving for a set amount of time. These points can be used to purchase accessories or other animals that you unlock. It also serves as a high score for a leaderboard.

From there, you can collect Archive items in Survival Mode which unlock Story missions that play out almost like a tutorial for Survival Mode. There's cut scenes and dialogue that tell some sort of story about a Pomeranian and his journey through the "jungle". There is an "end" to the Story mode, but you need to play both modes, almost back and forth (from what I can tell) to see the "true" end. However, as most people have said, Survival mode is basically endless. You play as long as you survive. I'm not sure if you can live forever if you play well enough, but it seems like a major goal is to survive at least 100 years (which is probably a 2+ hour session, maybe).

Robso

Tokyo Jungle is kind of a "what you make of it" sort-of game. There are two primary modes, Survival and Story. In Survival Mode, you pick an animal and essentially survive as long as you can. It's an incredibly arcade-like experience. You earn points by either completing randomly generated objectives or surviving for a set amount of time. These points can be used to purchase accessories or other animals that you unlock. It also serves as a high score for a leaderboard.

From there, you can collect Archive items in Survival Mode which unlock Story missions that play out almost like a tutorial for Survival Mode. There's cut scenes and dialogue that tell some sort of story about a Pomeranian and his journey through the "jungle". There is an "end" to the Story mode, but you need to play both modes, almost back and forth (from what I can tell) to see the "true" end. However, as most people have said, Survival mode is basically endless. You play as long as you survive. I'm not sure if you can live forever if you play well enough, but it seems like a major goal is to survive at least 100 years (which is probably a 2+ hour session, maybe).

Can you choose any animal or are there only a set amount to begin with?

In a nutshell: it has issues (sub-par graphics, repetition, etc.), but there's nothing else like it.

Okay...okay...for $15 this is a must-buy. I can't afford to pass up a game that lets me play as a chicken or a smilodon.

I'm downloading this when I get home. Few questions:

• How long does each survival mode scenario last, or can you keep playing indefinitely?
  • Is there a rough estimate of how long it would take to complete story mode?
  • Is there a complete list of available and unlockable animals out there?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

2 to begin with, a Pomeranian and a sika deer, you can unlock one additional animal with each character and it just keeps going from there. For instance the Pomeranian unlocks the cat if you complete a specific challenge in Survival Mode.

Please just watch the GiantBomb Quick Look...trust me there are no spoilers in there, hell you can't even really spoil survival mode at all.

2 to begin with, a Pomeranian and a sika deer, you can unlock one additional animal with each character and it just keeps going from there. For instance the Pomeranian unlocks the cat if you complete a specific challenge in Survival Mode.

Please just watch the GiantBomb Quick Look...trust me there are no spoilers in there, hell you can't even really spoil survival mode at all.

Still figuring out exactly how to unlock things...interesting. In challenges I always find myself asking "Oh I have to go there....How do I get there, what is that place?!?!"

Robso

Thanks. Much appreciate your responses.

Can you please just have a quick look at the PlayStation LifeStyle review I linked to above. See if you believe it to be harsh.

Thanks.

xxracerxx

Still figuring out exactly how to unlock things...interesting. In challenges I always find myself asking "Oh I have to go there....How do I get there, what is that place?!?!"

Pay attention to your map. It will tell you what districts you are in and you will start to get a feel for the layout.

Important Note: You can only do Challenges if they are lit up! You cannot just jump around to different Challenges, you need to go in a specific order.

kassatsu

Banned

You have to unlock them by doing certain tasks with certain animals. You have 2 unlocked to start. And yes the PSLS review is harsh, the game is no where near as bad as they say.

xxracerxx

Can you please just have a quick look at the PlayStation LifeStyle review I linked to above. See if you believe it to be harsh.

Way too harsh. The reviewer doesn't seem to really understand what Tokyo Jungle is actually trying to be at all. No one was saying it was going to be either a purely arcade or true survival game.

The game is $15 and should be a no brainer if you have a slight inkling towards it.

EDIT: And really....watch the Quick Look

Pay attention to your map. It will tell you what districts you are in and you will start to get a feel for the layout.

Important Note: You can only do Challenges if they are lit up! You cannot just jump around to different Challenges, you need to go in a specific order.

Cool thank you. Is there an identifier for what mission unlocks the next character or?

Zia

FIFA 13 and WoW (CE x2) meant Tokyo Jungle was going to get put on the back burner.

Meant.

Downloading now. Terribly excited.

xxracerxx

Huh I'm surprised I didn't unlock it then. I thought I busted through a lot of those challenges

You have to take over the Cat's territory in Dengozuke (sp?) and kill the Cat Boss, I had to fight like 15 cats are once, luckily I had a posse.

Top Bottom