• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It has nothing to do with that. I get 2+ MB/s with Steam and Origin, and I get decent speeds on Xbox Live too, but PSN is more like <100 kB/s.
Exact same situation here, about 2.5 mb/s on Steam but a 2gb download on PSN can take several hours.

Kurod

Banned
It has nothing to do with that. I get 2+ MB/s with Steam and Origin, and I get decent speeds on Xbox Live too, but PSN is more like <100 kB/s.

It took forever to DL Tokyo Jungle and even the 2mb DLC took a good while. Afterwards I noticed a 5mb free dynamic theme. Without thinking I clicked DL and it was done in a second. Seems to be limited to the Tokyo Jungle stuff for some reason.

Na, when its gone you just buy a new one. Or you can stock up in case yours breaks mid run

I had some boots damaged at 21/40, but I played a couple of survivals and last time that I checked are 23/40. Maybe damaged elements are repaired over time?

It's quite easy to unlock new chapters and new animals. You can do it in less than 10 minutes. A tip is not doing anything during the first year, or you can mark zones or eat calories before it start counting, and it will be more difficult to fulfill the first challenges. If you wait, you can do all the first challenges without leaving Shibuya Station.

That game showed me that there are 3 kind of mates: Prime, that they will reject you unless you are a leader and beated up a lot of people, regular ones, that will go with you if you are good enought, and desperates that goes to bed with everyone and they will infect you with crabs.

Owensboro

I somehow just got a chick to 75 years. This game is spectacular, even when you drop down a hole, randomly land in a pack of Lions, and get obliterated in 5 seconds.

Sadly, I can't wait to finish the Story missions. I want to see where this thing is going.

It's quite easy to unlock new chapters and new animals. You can do it in less than 10 minutes. A tip is not doing anything during the first year, or you can mark zones or eat calories before it start counting, and it will be more difficult to fulfill the first challenges. If you wait, you can do all the first challenges without leaving Shibuya Station.

I personally am still having trouble when the requirements are eat a lot of calories and finding a boss animal in an area that's a ways away. I usually run out of time. I've tried and failed to complete the cat mission a couple of times now.

WhyMe6

I picked this up today, and I can't put it down. Well, until I have to, for life. I've been following this since its announcement, and I'm so glad it turned out so damn good. I've unlocked the Rabbits, Chick and Gazelle so far. The Rooster is awesome to play: so fast!

Best button discorvery from that: R3 - Roar

!!!!

*mash mash mash mash*

Pomeranian: "Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip!"

Thank you for this incredibly valuable discovery!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is anyone starting to find the game to be unduly repetitive, or is everyone still enjoying it?

I looooooooooooove Dynasty Warriors.

That should tell you how I feel about repetitive games. :lol

Anyway, just took down a fucking LION with a Tosa. :D

Then died five seconds later due to poison. =/

Almost made it to 45 years, too. Had I remembered there was a trophy for that, I might not have challenged the lion. :lol

Mesoian

Is anyone starting to find the game to be unduly repetitive, or is everyone still enjoying it?

I'm still enjoying it due to the nuance between each animal. But yeah, this is the sort of game where, when you hit that wall, you hit it hard.

IMO - it's super important to not get hung up on using the same animal over and over. You get the most out of the game by doing the unlock quests first and foremost. That way you see everything the game has to offer without getting hung up on mission bottlenecks. It's pretty annoying when one of your challenges is to visit yayoi park when it's over run with lions or dinosaurs that will 1 hit kill you instantly, especially if you've already been alive for 50 or 60 years.

Kurod

Banned
So I found a prime female that wouldn't mate yet and decide to go off and rank up. After hitting boss rank I run back and can only find black heart icons. Did...did I take too long and they all became desperate old maids?

Koroviev

Holy crap. Years later, it really gets hectic.

Trying to find food, but all I find are lions and bears.

At least there aren't any tigers...right?

I looooooooooooove Dynasty Warriors.

That should tell you how I feel about repetitive games. :lol

Anyway, just took down a fucking LION with a Tosa. :D

Then died five seconds later due to poison. =/

Almost made it to 45 years, too. Had I remembered there was a trophy for that, I might not have challenged the lion. :lol

I've actually never played Dynasty Warriors.

Jaruru

holy. this game is hard

I only got dog, then unlocked cat. I can only get "more powerful" animals by purchasing from store?

got to 45 yrs with my dog only...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't quite call this game great. Its just slightly too repetitive, there isn't much variation in the environment at all, Tokyo feels a bit too small, they front load too much information which makes learning how to play boring, the random elements make things feel unfair at times, and the combat isn't very good at all.

But this game does a lot of things right that you can't really find in most games. I prefer playing the grazers if only because that bypasses the lousy combat. With the grazers I can focus on the exploration and survival elements that really makes the game so fun. I often find myself running around the map, wondering if whats around the corner is some tasty grass(es) or a ferocious pack of dogs. Wondering about whats around the next corner, and making tough decisions on what directions to take is exactly what exploration is, and I guess that's why I'm enjoying myself with this game. And the great rewards they give you at a pretty regular pace is the glue that holds the thing together.

Even beyond that, just the concept itself is different from anything I've seen before, and in a copycat industry that's a real breath of fresh air. Its nice to put a hold on saving the world or fighting back zombies, and take the role of an animal that just wants to do what animals do.

I don't want to oversell it, but I do recommend it.

"The quest to find your mother continues..."

q1FKL.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

http://i.imgur.com/q1FKL.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I just got to that point too. Already preparing for what I assume to be the mother's death, because this game is brutally realistic like that.

I really hope there's a happy ending. [spoiler]I mean those vicious silly looking carnivores got to have one.[/spoiler]

This game is tough. Only been able to get up to year 25ish. Being a little pomeranian is hard when pretty much everything has the advantage.

How many data discs do I need to unlock the first part of story mode?

You can usually do something during your first year. Just check your list immediately. It might just be getting in good position.

Kurod

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/q1FKL.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Got through that one recently too. Jerk gazelles :( Also [spoiler]lol at the Metal Deer Solid gameplay[/spoiler]

[quote="cosmicblizzard, post: 42587855"]This game is tough. Only been able to get up to year 25ish. Being a little pomeranian is hard when pretty much everything has the advantage.

How many data discs do I need to unlock the first part of story mode?[/QUOTE]

It should unlock when you get three I believe.

I was doing pretty well with my beagles once I realized I could Clean Kill lions, but this led to me getting a little bold and provoking an entire den.
Yeah, I was chased by a whole pack and realized I could kill them while they were asleep. But it was too late by then. I was a Beagle as well.

Holy shit, I just reached the nest and mated at 1 HP with the hunger bar empty. I mashed the shit out of circle :p

Septimius

My first Pomeranian's life ended when I ran into a pack of jackals in a highly toxic area with no food. Just had to mark once more to be able to mate and get the hell out of dodge, but they were sitting on that flag like.. well, it was the last safe place in a highly toxic environment.

Hunger drove me to try and pick off one loner, but the entire pack found and destroyed me :<

This fucking game is going to give me a heart attack one of these days.

I seem to always be in a race against the clock while trying to mate. My post above was one story... and just now, I beat the death clock (going on 15 years with one animal) with one health and the next year (the one that would end me) pretty much overlayed on top of the current year. But I made it. I made it while evading 10-15 velociraptors or whatever they are, some lions, some saber-toothed tigers... the place is crawling with tons of dangerous stuff! All these assholes combined whittled my health to 1. 1. I thought I was dead, so I gave up; I also thought they killed the mate I had with me... but somehow I got out of the mob and she teleported to me. I don't even know how we survived. I'm a Beagle. I'm on year 87 and still alive!

Oh, and I pretty much marked with all those guys chasing me. That was terrifying.

This was the most intense experience yet, but there were definitely some others on this run.

kiyomi

Just started this today, first run with the pomeranian lasted 31 years (2nd generation), I ended up getting a bit lost then some big cat took me down :(

I personally am still having trouble when the requirements are eat a lot of calories and finding a boss animal in an area that's a ways away. I usually run out of time. I've tried and failed to complete the cat mission a couple of times now.

You can have a generation and a few objectives (the only necessary to unlock the "find that animal" objective) in 3 or 4 years. Then, you have... up to 30 years to find the animal.

Look the objective in the menu screen, it tells you the area where to look (if you can't find the cat, that is the first animal to unlock, you probably missed that info). Then, you only need to go to that area and look for the animal (and sometimes, kill him). If it's still early (before 10 years) and you have brothers, you can even rush to the area and check all the zone without caring too much about the predators.

Just started this today, first run with the pomeranian lasted 31 years (2nd generation), I ended up getting a bit lost then some big cat took me down :(

A pomeranian eat big cats for breakfast. Literally. Also, 31 years and only second generation? You have to procreate more!

Withnail

Anybody else notice the in-game XMB manual for this game (EU version)? I've never seen that done before, wonder if the ability to do it was a stealth firmware change. Nice touch anyway, hopefully we see more of them in the future.

Anybody else notice the in-game XMB manual for this game (EU version)? I've never seen that done before, wonder if the ability to do it was a stealth firmware change. Nice touch anyway, hopefully we see more of them in the future.

Was playing a game the other day and noticed it too, can't for the life of me remember the game though :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My first run was a 45 year, 6th generation Pom (with siblings!). Later on, toxicity is a bitch, as well as cockiness...

Lions > Poms

Gagaman

On my first game survived up to 35 years. Got slaughtered by a gang of hyenas out of out where hahaha. Was afraid this game was gonna be a bit clunky (like Sonys other quirky Japanese game Kung Fu Rider, which I both loved and hated at the same time) but it plays really well.

Man, this game is awesome. I haven't been following it too closely, so going in practically blind was an absolutely hilarious experience. I made it as far as the tutorial where the female pooch refuses to mate with you because you aren't top dog yet before I could no longer contain my laughter.

This reminds me so much of an arcadey feeling, totally bizarre Dreamcast game. Repetitious or not, it's addictive because it's so simple and random. Co-op is a welcome addition and a hoot as well.

Syn23

I'm walking inside a dustbin a la Metal Gear Solid, with my deer.
This game is amazing.

Anyway, how do I come out? I'm starving.
Edit: Ok, managed to do it, I just needed to push R1.

Top Bottom