• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Downloaded last night, played a bit this morning. Few questions:

How do you tell a prime mate from a desperate one?

If you accidentally hook uo with a desperate mate (bitch gave me fleas!), is there any way to ditch them for another?

What are the benefits of choosing a prime mate over a lesser one?

I played for about 30 "years" as the pomeranian before deciding to take a break. In that time, I unlocked a new story chapter, bred three generations, and got an item. I had saved a couple times, but decided to quit without saving because I had saved so recently. When I went back to the title screen, "continue" was greyed out and the story segment I unlocked was gone. What in the hell happened to my save data? I just wasted an hour and don't really want to do it again.

My odyssey ends at 102 years. That felt damn good.

:O

Deified Data said:

Desperate have black hearts above them, average light pink, and prime have large pink hearts with sparkles.
Better females give you more siblings. The exact number depends on the type of animal.
And they're your ball and chain once you've approached them.
Save games are just for leaving the game and coming back to it. You don't make any progress other than unlocks and stat boosts the more generations you advance.

Parfait

Prime is sparkly hearts, Average is regular hearts, Desprate is a black heart.

You're stuck with your mate as far as I can tell.

Sparkly Girls give more babies, just like in real life.

Saving is quitting, if you have to go, save first. Otherwise when you continue the save is gone.

How do you tell a prime mate from a desperate one?

If you accidentally hook uo with a desperate mate (bitch gave me fleas!), is there any way to ditch them for another?

What are the benefits of choosing a prime mate over a lesser one?

I played for about 30 "years" as the pomeranian before deciding to take a break. In that time, I unlocked a new story chapter, bred three generations, and got an item. I had saved a couple times, but decided to quit without saving because I had saved so recently. When I went back to the title screen, "continue" was greyed out and the story segment I unlocked was gone. What in the hell happened to my save data? I just wasted an hour and don't really want to do it again.
Desperate = black hearts; average = pink hearts; prime = sparkly hearts

I don't think there is a way to get rid of them once they're with you. Maybe if it gets killed you could mate with a different one, but it's just a theory I have. Don't know if they can die... but it should be possible, right? Who knows.

Mating with a prime female gives you more packmates and better stats (from what I could tell).

Not sure what happened to you there. If you saved it should allow you to continue from where you last saved, not make you lose everything. Just so you know, saves are only temporary. Once you load it, it's discarded, so make sure to always quit playing after you save. EDIT: Oh, I see. I missed that you quit without saving. Yeah, saves are discarded after loading, so, essentially, you threw your progress away.

I don't think there is a way to get rid of them once they're with you. Maybe if it gets killed you could mate with a different one, but it's just a theory I have. Don't know if they can die... but it should be possible, right? Who knows.

I was on my way to one I saw on the map and I saw a tiger kill her and the heart disappeared off the map. Cockblocker.

I'm walking inside a dustbin a la Metal Gear Solid, with my deer.
This game is amazing.

Anyway, how do I come out? I'm starving.
Edit: Ok, managed to do it, I just needed to push R1.

WAIT

A

FUCKING

MINUTE

YOU CAN HIDE IN THOSE THINGS? I WAS KICKING THEM OVER FOR NOTHING.

FUCK THIS GAME

GOTYAY

Desperate = black hearts; average = pink hearts; prime = sparkly hearts

Mating with a prime female gives you more packmates and better stats (from what I could tell).

Not sure what happened to you there. If you saved it should allow you to continue from where you last saved, not make you lose everything. Just so you know, saves are only temporary. Once you load it, it's discarded, so make sure to always quit playing after you save.
So the game only tempsaves? As in, I could live for 100 years and that data would be discarded if I quit without saving once? Will keep that in mind.

kiyomi

Started with a cat, seems harder than with the Pomeranian? Or is it just my imagination? Do larger animals get hungrier quicker?

I didn't realise you couldn't eat your own kind until it was too late :(

denshuu

So wait a second.

I'm like 8 generations into the Pomeranian, with some deaths in between. People are saying that each time you start a new Survival game and pick the same animal, you're actually starting off as whatever the last generation you were when you died.

Is that true? Because it feels like I'm just starting totally from square one every time. I'm unlocking more animals to choose from the more points I get, but when my 6th gen pup dies and I start a new game, it doesn't have the same stats at the one that died.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wait a second.
Don't you only live 15 years?

How he'd go 31? (Yes I know it's through two generations, point still stands)

You can live longer than 15 years. You don't outright die when you reach 15. Your max stats just start declining gradually until you eventually die. It takes a while for that to happen though, presumably. I've lived to 17 or 18 before mating.

So wait a second.

I'm like 8 generations into the Pomeranian, with some deaths in between. People are saying that each time you start a new Survival game and pick the same animal, you're actually starting off as whatever the last generation you were when you died.

Is that true? Because it feels like I'm just starting totally from square one every time. I'm unlocking more animals to choose from the more points I get, but when my 6th gen pup dies and I start a new game, it doesn't have the same stats at the one that died.

Because not all of your stat gains are tied to new generations. You notice you get some (e.g. Attack +5) from completing challenges. After you mate, it says on the screen, +1 Health, +1 Hunger, etc. and you don't necessarily get those every generation. I think those are the only ones that carry over.

Celegus

So the game only tempsaves? As in, I could live for 100 years and that data would be discarded if I quit without saving once? Will keep that in mind.

Yep. I'm really glad they do give you the option to temp-save at least. Some runs of Binding of Isaac just take way longer than I have time for, and no way to come back later.

I have a few questions if GAF could help me out:

1) Do I have to control a territory to find a place to sleep at night?

2) Do all animals sleep at night, and do they basically disappear off the radar if they are sleeping?

3) How do I know which way to go to get away from a toxic area? Are there any indicators on the radar or map?

4) Does anyone else agree that the camera is completely unsuited to a game that requires stealth as a game mechanic?

You can live longer than 15 years. You don't outright die when you reach 15. Your max stats just start declining gradually until you eventually die. It takes a while for that to happen though, presumably. I've lived to 17 or 18 before mating.
And with this, my triumph from last page seems a bit less awesome.

image.php
The more you know!
image.php

Saving takes you back to the menu. If you load up the save, then quit, you'll probably lose everything, yeah (and you can't save in the same spot twice). You could also just kill yourself to keep everything you've earned. The caveat is that you'll have to restart, obviously, but you'll have kept all the story stuff and accessories you may have unlocked.

1) Do I have to control a territory to find a place to sleep at night?

2) Do all animals sleep at night, and do they basically disappear off the radar if they are sleeping?

3) How do I know which way to go to get away from a toxic area? Are there any indicators on the radar or map?

4) Does anyone else agree that the camera is completely unsuited to a game that requires stealth as a game mechanic?
Not always. You can use an item. I forget the name, but it looks like a sleeping bag. Green. Also handy for mating in dangerous areas.

No, not all animals sleep at night.

Exit the area. You also get notifications about places being polluted. I believe the notices about such things will be displayed on the map.

I think the camera is pretty good for the game. I know I've certainly felt dread whenever I see a lone green dot on the map, but I can't see it because of the camera angle. It's good at creating tension, IMO.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really bad at managing food in the various areas. I usually just eat everything I can catch and then when I try to get to another area I just starve. Once I get that down I think I can last for a while.

This game is really good. Proof is, that I'm skipping classes right now to play it lol

I just discovered the underground to travel faster!

I'm really bad at managing food in the various areas. I usually just eat everything I can catch and then when I try to get to another area I just starve. Once I get that down I think I can last for a while.

You can check on the map how many recourses there are in each territory. This seems to be crucial when planing out your path...

dallow_bg

nods at old men

The map will tell you if there's a good supply of food in certain areas.
There's a food gauge.

Very useful for plant eaters.

Someone hasn't done the deer story mission!

Awesome. In an informative way, of course.

My girlfriends been doing all the story missions, so I'm working on the Survival park.

Up to the Golden Retriever now. I'm taking my time, but thank god collecting animals is easy.

"Planning" in this game can go south so fast. Sometimes they screw you over with how much food there is in a certain area--especially if you're trying to complete all the challenges and have to go through said areas.

"Yes! The place is full of food!"

*full of buffalo you can't kill*

Whyyyyyyyyy

Started with a cat, seems harder than with the Pomeranian? Or is it just my imagination? Do larger animals get hungrier quicker?

Played cat for the first time last night. Seems a little faster, and for some reason my game was bereft of anything dangerous until about 35 years in.

Also, maybe cat litters are larger? First one was four cats; never got more than three w/ a Pomeranian.

"Planning" in this game can go south so fast. Sometimes they screw you over with how much food there is in a certain area--especially if you're trying to complete all the challenges and have to go through said areas.

"Yes! The place is full of food!"

*full of buffalo you can't kill*

Whyyyyyyyyy

You never know. I killed a cow with a 3rd generation cat. I did the stealth bite, then mashed R1 when the indicator came up, then did it again and he was done. Some animals are better with the stealth kill than others, I assume.

kiyomi

I literally jumped just now when a crocodile lurched out of the grass and killed my white pomeranian :lol

Did not see it coming whatsoever, then foolishly led the rest of my pack back towards it hoping for a kill, but they all got wiped out.

This is a fun fun game.

You never know. I killed a cow with a 3rd generation cat. I did the stealth bite, then mashed R1 when the indicator came up, then did it again and he was done. Some animals are better with the stealth kill than others, I assume.
The entire area was filled with them and they were in packs of 4 or 5. Stealth bites took such a small amount away. Scratches? Miniscule. It was entirely not worth it because I'd draw each one's wrath :p

I could kill tigers and panthers, but not buffalo.

Like someone said, if you hit the XMB and look below the trophies icon, there's a game manual.

and when you look at stats when choosing an animal, if you got extra stats from generations, you'll see the original blue shape of stats, and outside it a red/purpleish shape of stats which is your current stats.

favorite temp item is a nail file. the temp atk bonus is enough to kill anything (might need stealth hit for more damage tho). might even let you kill that buffalo. I use them on bosses and it's a quick kill and easy unlock

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Like someone said, if you hit the XMB and look below the trophies icon, there's a game manual.

and when you look at stats when choosing an animal, if you got extra stats from generations, you'll see the original blue shape of stats, and outside it a red/purpleish shape of stats which is your current stats.

favorite temp item is a nail file. the temp atk bonus is enough to kill anything (might need stealth hit for more damage tho). might even let you kill that buffalo. I use them on bosses and it's a quick kill and easy unlock

Good to know! I was going to read the manual tonight as well.

Salaadin

On animal selection, what does the "G" mean. For example, it says "4G" next to Fat Cat. Is that the number of games that I played as Fat Cat?

On animal selection, what does the "G" mean. For example, it says "4G" next to Fat Cat. Is that the number of games that I played as Fat Cat?

Generations. If you procreate 2 times in a game before dying, you'll be in the 3th Generation (and you'll inherit the stats of the previous ones). If you play again and procreate 2 more times before dying, you'll be 5G.

Salaadin

Generations. If you procreate 2 times in a game before dying, you'll be in the 3th Generation (and you'll inherit the stats of the previous ones). If you play again and procreate 2 more times before dying, you'll be 5G.

So my Fat Cat now is better than Fat Cat before?
Excellent. Soon, me and Fat Cat will take over Tokyo! As long as we dont run into any Lions!

Pulled another all nighter with this game last night. So addictive. Almost done unlocking all predators, and cleared Story mode. Dat secret animal!! Amazing. Can't wait to unlock em for use, but they cost a pretty chunk of change to do so. Soon.gif

Protip: learn to use and abuse the right stick flick. It's awesome for following up a clean kill on a small group (allows you to quickly attack again instead of getting stuck in the pounce animation), and escaping from predators (eat jerky and spam the shit out of the stick). Pretty sure it also makes you move faster so every animal I've used has behaved like a bunny. Lol

Anyway, 118 years is my record, with the Hyena. It's hard out there for an animal after 105. O_O

Shinta

Banned
I got to 73 years with the fat cat, generation 10. I'm really not unlocking many animals though at all. Does anyone have a good strategy for unlocking any of the bigger creatures quickly?

My main tips for people struggling are:

* Look at the map frequently so you are never wasting time going the wrong way towards checkpoints.
* Check the map to see which area has high food levels, and make your way towards those.
* If your hunger meter is full, kill a small animal and carry it in your mouth by holding down the circle button. It can sometimes give you a little extra edge over long distances.
* Don't forget to drink water in the ponds.
* Don't ignore the birds on the upper levels if you're extremely short on food.

That's all I got.

I got to 73 years with the fat cat, generation 10. I'm really not unlocking many animals though at all. Does anyone have a good strategy for unlocking any of the bigger creatures quickly?

Enter with an animal, for example, the cat.

Look for one of the latest challenges in the list, related to "something boss". Check the activation conditions and when you fulfill them and the challenge appears, do what the challenge says.

I think the boss challenges activate after you complete the E challenges every time. (Or after 11 years?) Just go find it/defeat it and die if you want to move on to the next animal.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
How do you know when a creature is a boss? I'm still struggling to find the beagle boss. This cat is killing me. Even though it's a beast.

Also, do people usually mate the second they capture an area or do you guys wait till you're on year 13ish to do it? I feel like waiting til late gives you an extra attack/speed/power edge when trying to accomplish stuff.

Mesoian

How do you know when a creature is a boss? I'm still struggling to find the beagle boss. This cat is killing me. Even though it's a beast.

Also, do people usually mate the second they capture an area or do you guys wait till you're on year 13ish to do it? I feel like waiting til late gives you an extra attack/speed/power edge when trying to accomplish stuff.

It says BOSS over the animal in big bold letters. It'll be obvious.

As for choosing when to mate, I look at the list of challenges and see where it wants me to be during a certain generational shift. Depending how far it is, I'll go there, or the area before that and claim those territories, then mate so you have a fresh set of lives after the generational shift. It gets harder to do this as time goes on though once bigger animals start showing up. Once you get to 70 years and gators and dinosaurs are EVERYWHERE, it gets exceedingly hard to plan, so you mate whenever you can.

The biggest problem I've been having are my siblings or my mate getting killed while running from predators. That's super annoying. There have been a few times where I've been low on food and health and am right about to hit a nest to mate, only to have my mate get eaten by a predator because THEY were too slow. I used to think losing track of your siblings was no big deal, but that is VERY MUCH not the case.

Chick is hard, but turning from a chick to a chicken is hilarious.

It depend of the challenges. If you have done a few challenges, mate and then you'll get stats up.

I went to the sewers with a retriever and it was madness.

Fuck. Stealth-killed a tiger, but there was another one nearby. Damn you, fog, for not letting me see! The bite icon wouldn't show up. It killed me and my brothers. My poor school girl Retriever </3

Also, I would love to add some of you guys just to have some variety in my friends section of the leaderboards. I only have one friend with the game, and it would be fun to see how you guys do. Add me: dragonlife29

Celegus

Chick is hard, but turning from a chick to a chicken is hilarious.

When does that happen? Chick is fun until you start getting a little too careless and then get OHKO'd. Can't imagine how hard it would be to get that tuxedo, but it sure is tempting to try.

Also, I would love to add some of you guys just to have some variety in my friends section of the leaderboards. I only have one friend with the game, and it would be fun to see how you guys do. Add me: dragonlife29

I'll add you when I get home (or you can add Celegus). My friendlist could definitely do with some more Baten Kaitos fans. :D

Mesoian

When does that happen? Chick is fun until you start getting a little too careless and then get OHKO'd. Can't imagine how hard it would be to get that tuxedo, but it sure is tempting to try.

If you go to sleep as a chick instead of going to mate, you wake up as a chicken.

Top Bottom