• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

So is sleeping in this game supposed to screw you over? I went to sleep as a fat cat on the roof just to see what would happen, and woke up surrounded by 3 CROCODILES and a herd of hyenas...

hswbaz

Neo Member
Been really enjoying this game, came to share a story. Last night was playing with the girlfriend watching me, and she requested the Deer (I hadn't tried the Deer yet), so I loaded up the deer. My dog decided to walk directly in between me and the tv as soon as it loaded, so I hit pause, unpaused and there was a Tiger directly in front of me lunging at me...

Managed to escape with a little life left, into a pack of dogs, lived for a total of less than 10 seconds, got zero survival points...she didn't stop laughing for the next 20 minutes as I sighed and loaded up one of my unlocked dogs.

After playing survival about 10 times now, that is also the only time I've seen such large animals in year 1 in Shibuya (Tigers/Beagles/etc.).

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Added ;) If anyone else would like me to add them, feel free to post your IDs.

I'll add you! my ID is eJawa.

I am loving this game. Had a good time last night playing co-op with my girlfriend. The co-op seems like it will be really tough if you both play the same type (herbivore/carnivore). We just stuck to playing separate types, so food wouldn't be nearly as scarce. The mate spawns are more unforgiving this way though.

Never had the sleeping bag. Do I sleep in the nest thingy after marking the territory? Does it improve stats?
The only thing sleeping seems to do is change the weather (to night?). It doesn't refill your bars or anything. I'm not entirely sure what its purpose is. Uh... I guess getting rid of pesky smog weather, maybe?

You can also sleep to cycle potential partners if they're both desperate and you want an average/prime female. There's a chance they may not change at all, though - but in my experience if the potential mate is far enough from the nest when you sleep, then they will change.

I got to 73 years with the fat cat, generation 10. I'm really not unlocking many animals though at all. Does anyone have a good strategy for unlocking any of the bigger creatures quickly?

My main tips for people struggling are:

* Look at the map frequently so you are never wasting time going the wrong way towards checkpoints.
* Check the map to see which area has high food levels, and make your way towards those.
* If your hunger meter is full, kill a small animal and carry it in your mouth by holding down the circle button. It can sometimes give you a little extra edge over long distances.
* Don't forget to drink water in the ponds.
* Don't ignore the birds on the upper levels if you're extremely short on food.

That's all I got.

Good tips. I forgot you can carry food. That would of helped when I was trapped in the sewer lol

You can also sleep to cycle potential partners if they're both desperate and you want an average/prime female. There's a chance they may not change at all, though - but in my experience if the potential mate is far enough from the nest when you sleep, then they will change.
You're right. This just happened to me.

eJawa

I can see that being useful in co-op. When you are playing as 2 different species, the game has a habit of spawning your partners species as potential mates, when you are the one about to turn 15.

eJawa

Having fun with this game. Is there a way to increase the number of the next generation of children? Is 4 the max for the dog?

It depends on the mate. Desperate (black hearts) gives you 2, average (regular hearts) gives 4 and the best one (sparkly hearts) give you 6.

Salaadin

It depends on the mate. Desperate (black hearts) gives you 2, average (regular hearts) gives 4 and the best one (sparkly hearts) give you 6.

6? I guess the best I ever mated with was average then.
I can have six Fat Cat babies? I bet that looks amazing.

kassatsu

Banned
I got to 73 years with the fat cat, generation 10. I'm really not unlocking many animals though at all. Does anyone have a good strategy for unlocking any of the bigger creatures quickly?

It works like a chain. Pom -> Beagle -> Retriever -> Tosa -> Jackal -> Wolf ->...

You have to play as new animals to unlock others. You can't just play as 1 animal.

I have serious problems to unlock Tosa. Those beasts are really tought, and a couple of them can kill me and all my brothers, with their bash attack (also, they are very aggresive). Also, it don't help that most of the times they are unlocked on Shibuya forest (that is a very huge area, and i have to fight dozens of Tosa to find the boss).

6? I guess the best I ever mated with was average then.
I can have six Fat Cat babies? I bet that looks amazing.

Depends on the animal. Bigger ones have a max of 3 babies. 3 = Prime, 2 = Average, 1 = Desperate

I have serious problems to unlock Tosa. Those beasts are really tought, and a couple of them can kill me and all my brothers, with their bash attack (also, they are very aggresive). Also, it don't help that most of the times they are unlocked on Shibuya forest (that is a very huge area, and i have to fight dozens of Tosa to find the boss).
Try to be stealthy and get as close to the boss as you can so you can take him out in a Clean Hit. Getting that close is easier said than done, for sure, but I found it to be less stressful than fighting through hundreds of said animal.

eJawa

Depends on the animal. Bigger ones have a max of 3 babies. 3 = Prime, 2 = Average, 1 = Desperate

Did not know that. I just assumed it was 6 for all, but I guess that makes sense.

Tonight I need to finally get to the top area of the map. I have yet to see any of that.

Koroviev

Finally pulled the trigger (it was inevitable, lol). I'm downloading it now, and it looks like I'm getting at least 1MB/s.

I've been lucky lately and have had a nail file to use on bosses (GIANT temp boost to atk)

I can never tell if I can take an animal down, I was 4th gen cat, does that mean I could take down like a cow or a lion or just a dog?

my record is 40 years

Tattooth

I bought this yesterday and played the tutorial, but my launch PS3 is SO LOUD. I really couldn't concentrate on the game, or even hear it. I am really considering getting a new PS3 just to play this game. It's worth it, right?

I can never tell if I can take an animal down, I was 4th gen cat, does that mean I could take down like a cow or a lion or just a dog?

my record is 40 years

It depends of the life-defense of the animal. For example, with my retriever I can stealthkill a tiger or a panthera with a single hit. But not a cow.

Finally beated the tosa. But because it was in another zone (Dougenzaka) that is quite small and it was one of the first tosa in there.

Question: Does food ever respawn? Or on a long enough timeline would you just die of starvation?

It doesn't reappear in the same spot, but areas repopulate (and depopulate) with food and animals when you're away from them.

kassatsu said:
It does after you Gen for sure, not sure if it does when you sleep though

I keep trying to leave plants right before I gen because there's no point in eating right before, and they're always gone when I fade back in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but-

How do clothes work? What does the bar on the right represent? All the items show up for every species, but some species can't equip certain items. If I put a sweater on a dog, the dog dies with the sweater on, can I use the sweater later on a cat?

eJawa

Sorry if this has been asked already, but-

How do clothes work? What does the bar on the right represent? All the items show up for every species, but some species can't equip certain items. If I put a sweater on a dog, the dog dies with the sweater on, can I use the sweater later on a cat?

The bar represents damage. When you die, you can re-equip it on another, but it will eventual "break" and disappear. I've equipped the same piece of clothing several times, before it finally "broke".

Also, at the start of a new game, you can re-buy any clothing you had previously found.

Jaruru

I get this challenge "Find Valley of Delights"
Object is to reach Shibuya Shop Deistrict and Find Alley of Delights
What exactly is this?!?

I get this challenge "Find Valley of Delights"
Object is to reach Shibuya Shop Deistrict and Find Alley of Delights
What exactly is this?!?

Some of them are storefronts. You can see the name when you walk by. I got one a couple of times for Shibuya Station Parking Lot and couldn't find it though.

Some of them are storefronts. You can see the name when you walk by. I got one a couple of times for Shibuya Station Parking Lot and couldn't find it though.
just right of the bridge, stay on "top" of the map.

for most (all ones I've found) be on the "top" end of the map or you might walk by it without activating it.

Code:
[top of tv]
[store]
--------
[you]

-------
[bottom of tv]

to find stuff

Code:
[top of tv]
[store]
--------

[you]
-------
[bottom of tv]

might walk by and miss the mission

triangle to see map was the first thing i learned about the start menu within the first minute of playing the game

(I didn't realize all the other cool things about the start menu until way way way later)

Eusis

Cats follow a code of honor that prevents them from committing such atrocities. Dogs? Well, anything goes with Dogs...
This has the boon that nearby cats can jump into the fray and help you out, as I discovered with the big cat fighting some wolves (I think).

for most (all ones I've found) be on the "top" end of the map or you might walk by it without activating it.

Code:
[top of tv]
[store]
--------
[you]

-------
[bottom of tv]

to find stuff

Code:
[top of tv]
[store]
--------

[you]
-------
[bottom of tv]

I'll try if I get it again, but I swear I hugged the top part of the map all the way across Shibuya Station.

Jaruru

Code:
[top of tv]
[store]
--------
[you]

-------
[bottom of tv]

to find stuff

Code:
[top of tv]
[store]
--------

[you]
-------
[bottom of tv]

Thx man. I'll try in my next challenge!!!

Downhome

I have a stupid question. How do you know which animals is the boss of the species? I've put around two hours in, my longest so far lasting 19 years in survival. Are bosses only in the story mode? Is story mode where you unlock all of the new animals? I haven't even done story mode yet other than the tutorial.

I just realised that you can zoom out the map and see all the locations and their food stat.

Gamechanger!

I have a stupid question. How do you know which animals is the boss of the species? I've put around two hours in, my longest so far lasting 19 years in survival. Are bosses only in the story mode? Is story mode where you unlock all of the new animals? I haven't even done story mode yet other than the tutorial.

If you are talking about for the challenges, they will have a little UI element over their head that says "boss"

You unlock animals in survival mode. If you look at the complete list of challenges, you'll see which ones you have to do to unlock different animals. If you select an animals silhouette the game will ell you which animals has the challenge to unlock the one you want.

I bought this yesterday and played the tutorial, but my launch PS3 is SO LOUD. I really couldn't concentrate on the game, or even hear it. I am really considering getting a new PS3 just to play this game. It's worth it, right?

1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Zeroth

Can't purchase the game yet, but I've been watching some videos... I noticed Toxicity kicks in after some time playing as an animal, and you need to constantly eat to keep it down. Is it permanent from the moment you get it, or does it go away after some time?

Top Bottom