• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Ainaurdur

I keep noticing the urge to truly do my best each and every run.

When really doing your best doesn't always matter when what you actually may want on some runs is just to accomplish a specific challenge or two to unlock some things and then move on to the next animal.

Then later on go back to the previous animal to get higher scores and live longer, more fulfilled lives.

Then one days the kids can look back and fondly remember their great great grandpom... /sniff

Can't purchase the game yet, but I've been watching some videos... I noticed Toxicity kicks in after some time playing as an animal, and you need to constantly eat to keep it down. Is it permanent from the moment you get it, or does it go away after some time?

You can lower it by eating unpolluted food, drink clean water or using meds. If you leave the polluted are your toxicity level stops to increase.

Zee-Row

Banned
Damn this game tries its best to screw my good runs over. The areas i go to end up with no food and completely toxic.

Drencrom

Oh man, this game!

Just got a new survival record at 76 years, got a bit cocky and ended up being mauled to death by various predators (lions, panthers and wolves)...

Damn this game tries its best to screw my good runs over. The areas i go to end up with no food and completely toxic.

I know that feel.

Zee-Row

Banned
You should check recourses before you go there. There is also a ticker, that informs you which areas are heavily polluted at the moment.

How do I see the conditions of the other areas on the map screen , there doesn't seem to be a way to see beyond where you're at currently.

Kurod

Banned
Can't purchase the game yet, but I've been watching some videos... I noticed Toxicity kicks in after some time playing as an animal, and you need to constantly eat to keep it down. Is it permanent from the moment you get it, or does it go away after some time?

It kinda moves around the various districts like a random event. You also gotta be careful what you eat as sometimes plants or even other animals will be poisoned and raise your toxicity when you eat them.

Edit: Oh I see what you mean. Your toxicity level will stop going up when in a clean area. When you eat clean food your toxicity level goes down by 10 and when you drink clean water it goes down by 5.

Owensboro

A chick boss has entered [insert area].

"Oh man, that sounds neat. I'm going to go check that out and kill it."

"Hahahaha, what the hell?"

"OH THIS IS AWESOME."

z7Nyk.jpg

Chick Power Suit
Military-grade augmentation suit for chicks. Packs enough punch to rival the king of the beasts.
Life +100
Attack +50
Defense +5
Stamina +30
Hunger -10
Speed + 30

Now I want to level up my chick until it could kill a Hippo. (There is no way in hell I will do that).

Game would be 10x better if the world were a little larger and the hunger gauge diminished a little slower - enough to let me take my time and enjoy the scenery. I feel like I'm always in a panicked sprint towards the next food source or away from toxic zones. Could just be because I'm not very good yet, don't know.

A chick boss has entered [insert area].

"Oh man, that sounds neat. I'm going to go check that out and kill it."

"Hahahaha, what the hell?"

"OH THIS IS AWESOME."

z7Nyk.jpg

Chick Power Suit
Military-grade augmentation suit for chicks. Packs enough punch to rival the king of the beasts.
Life +100
Attack +50
Defense +5
Stamina +30
Hunger -10
Speed + 30

Now I want to level up my chick until it could kill a Hippo. (There is no way in hell I will do that).

Do you unlock that by killing the chick boss?

Foxix Von

Really tempted to buy this but I have a couple questions. How long does the PS+ sale last and secondly how is the multiplayer and is it online or local co op?

Thanks, excellent news :D does it work well? I just perused a review that basically implied that the co op ruined the game in some ways, is that true? The reviewer seemed to greatly dislike the game as a whole though.

Smack your friend's controller away to sacrifice them as decoy.

zulux21

Really tempted to buy this but I have a couple questions. How long does the PS+ sale last and secondly how is the multiplayer and is it online or local co op?

I think the sale is two weeks but I am not 100% on that, the best time to buy it would be next monday though as apparently there is going to be a spend $100 get $20 back on the PSN for the month of Oct.

as for the MP local only, and feels somewhat tacked on, but that doesn't make it not fun. There are some design issues with it including the fact that 1st player can easily get 2nd player stuck off screen while running away, the fact that only one of the two players can mate a new gen at a time (so old age comes up a lot in later runs) and the fact that both players can't wear the same clothes even if you own multiple copies of them :/

They do compensate you for these things in the form of starting with 4 pills that allow you to revive the other player though.

I need to figure out how that multiplier is calculated for the survival points though. In multiplayer I keep getting a multiplier below 1 (last run it was .3) so a 40 year run only netted me 12k points with my wife. Meanwhile solo I am always up over 1.5 so a 40 year run will net me 50-60k points. So depending on how that multiplier works, I suppose there is a chance that multiplayer ends up giving you less SP in general as well, not sure.

Game is perfect for co-op with ladies.

Though admittedly the notion of bringing down large animals as a small dog is universal in its appeal.

Foxix Von

I think the sale is two weeks but I am not 100% on that, the best time to buy it would be next monday though as apparently there is going to be a spend $100 get $20 back on the PSN for the month of Oct.

as for the MP local only, and feels somewhat tacked on, but that doesn't make it not fun. There are some design issues with it including the fact that 1st player can easily get 2nd player stuck off screen while running away, the fact that only one of the two players can mate a new gen at a time (so old age comes up a lot in later runs) and the fact that both players can't wear the same clothes even if you own multiple copies of them :/

They do compensate you for these things in the form of starting with 4 pills that allow you to revive the other player though.

I need to figure out how that multiplier is calculated for the survival points though. In multiplayer I keep getting a multiplier below 1 (last run it was .3) so a 40 year run only netted me 12k points with my wife. Meanwhile solo I am always up over 1.5 so a 40 year run will net me 50-60k points. So depending on how that multiplier works, I suppose there is a chance that multiplayer ends up giving you less SP in general as well, not sure.
Thanks a bunch for your impressions. Helps a bunch.
Game is perfect for co-op with ladies.

Though admittedly the notion of bringing down large animals as a small dog is universal in its appeal.

This is good news. I'm looking for more stuff that's good to play with the lady friend.

zulux21

Thanks a bunch for your impressions. Helps a bunch.

This is good news. I'm looking for more stuff that's good to play with the lady friend.

it should be noted that the reason 1st player can get 2nd player stuck is because the screen is fully controlled by first player and if 2nd player is on the edge they are just dragged along. I haven't been able to fully test it but it does seem like if 2nd player is fully off screen they won't take damage (this would happen by climbing up stuff and running away) at least the last time I got my wife stuck she survived despite multiple enemies around her. Eventually the second player will teleport to 1st. I am not sure if that is after so long or a set distance away though. I've only managed to play 3 games co op so I haven't figured out all the little things :p

Owensboro

Do you unlock that by killing the chick boss?

Yes, but don't get confused. It's not from the boss during the chick's mission, it was a ticker notification that a "Chick Boss" had appeared in an area. It happened when I was a Beagle I think (but I'm betting that has no bearing on it). It was one giant chick with that suit on surrounded by like 10 other chicks.

Yes, but don't get confused. It's not from the boss during the chick's mission, it was a ticker notification that a "Chick Boss" had appeared in an area. It happened when I was a Beagle I think (but I'm betting that has no bearing on it). It was one giant chick with that suit on surrounded by like 10 other chicks.

Damn, I saw some type of dog boss walking around but I ignored it because there was no mission related to it. I didn't realize you could get stuff by beating them.

I have a stupid question. How do you know which animals is the boss of the species? I've put around two hours in, my longest so far lasting 19 years in survival. Are bosses only in the story mode? Is story mode where you unlock all of the new animals? I haven't even done story mode yet other than the tutorial.
go to survival mode challenges list. go to the bottom of the list. you'll see the (complete all challenges = tuxedo) and another one if it has an unlockable animal. that'd be the boss mission.

I think I ran past a boss alligator once without any kind of related challenge, so they can be random spans too, if that's what you're asking (don't think they unlock anything tho)
oh shiiiiiiiiiiiii so I maybe missed out on some sweet alligator armor

and I saw a boss bunny on the ticker several games and ignored it. man I'm gonna go murder all the ticker bosses now. all. the. bosses.

Coxy

I killed "A powerful beast?" and got some kinda costume for cats, need to see if it has awesome stats or something later, it looks silly, like some kind of lion costume

New record! 123 years with Bear. The last 15 or so years comprised of me hiding out on a train platform roof with my two bear siblings, rationing meds and pet food amongst ourselves, watching each other succumb to toxicity, then hunger, and lastly dying of old age.
-bigbosssalute.jpg

I love this game.

New record! 123 years with Bear. The last 15 or so years comprised of me hiding out on a train platform roof with my two bear siblings, rationing meds and pet food amongst ourselves, watching each other succumb to toxicity, then hunger, and lastly dying of old age.
-bigbosssalute.jpg

I love this game.

That sounds so amzing. Like really. Holy hell.

Zee-Row

Banned
Damn it I made it to 82 years with the golden retriever , the game kept throwing Dinosaurs that were too powerful to clean kill so i ended up starving to death.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
-bigbosssalute.jpg

I love this game.
:tears up:

-bigbosssalute.jpg

I love this game.

Nature is cruel.

Had this happen to me, too. By "grass" do they mean eat a specific kind of plant? I just kept eating until I got it.

Yes, grass is just the little green plant with no fruits or flowers.

It doesn't say grass though. It specifically says "Eat a plant", and the Challenge Info says: "Eat 1 more Plant(s)".

I would say that I've eaten stuff that would be considered plants. Plenty of them too.

EDIT: I finally got the right one.

That sounds so amzing. Like really. Holy hell.

lol to be fair, in reality I was just idling up there and thinking about whether I want to use the food/meds on the first bear, or the last bear. I made it sound a lot better above!

But anyway, I actually haven't even touched herbivores yet. I've still got a lot of game left. To hell with Borderlands 2!

gryz

Banned
I just read this comment on a different site and got sad:

The character animation looks awful - several of those scenes have extraneous animals walking in place, moving without touching the ground, and so forth. Methinks I'll give it a miss.

this is why we can't have good games anymore.

Oreoleo

Lol, I just read thisand for a moment I tought that this one started playing during the game.

THIS IS THE WORST THING IN THE GAME

Every time there is a toxicity event my scumbag brain goes "the toxicity.. of our city" just to annoy me D:

I just had a moment with the beagle trying to complete the second group of challenges to unlock a pair of shoes, I had a year and a half to mark three more places and mate one more time. I was in the Shop district with all the territories marked and had to head north to the station to find more. Ended up using one of the stamina halting items to dash across the whole area marking territories and finding a mate and dragging her back across to the overpass so we could do the dirty. I just thought it was funny how an item I thought was mostly useless a few days ago ended up being exactly the thing I needed to get those challenges done.

And now my beagle has some sweet high-top kicks *swag*

Kurod

Banned
I'm a deer and the first challenge is to eat a plant. I've eaten 4 plants and nothing is happening. :/

You have to wait till the first year is up before it starts counting food/marking/kills/etc. If you look at the e rank challenges you'll see the requirements before they activate "live past one year".

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I still can't find the god damn boss beagle so I can move on from my 20th gen cat. Jesus. I can't catch a beagle break!

Top Bottom