• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

zulux21

(control tip)
Of note, if you use your R1 attack (for an auto kill and only an auto kill) and then use the right stick to evade after you make contact you can start attacking again right away instead of having to wait for R1 to resolve. This works really well against packs with a strike strike R1 evade strike strike R1 evade ect... you can take down a pack of animals in a few seconds like that if you aim well lol

(control tip)
Of note, if you use your R1 attack (for an auto kill and only an auto kill) and then use the right stick to evade after you make contact you can start attacking again right away instead of having to wait for R1 to resolve. This works really well against packs with a strike strike R1 evade strike strike R1 evade ect... you can take down a pack of animals in a few seconds like that if you aim well lol
sounds like a game breaking controls glitch.

time to exploit it

Owensboro

(control tip)

Well damn, thanks for that. Don't know why I didn't think of trying it.

Also, I realize the celebration animation for eating and leveling up is cute and all, but it's killed me twice! Stopped to eat a kill and during the howling animation I got one shot killed. I was sooooooo pissed. Especially because I saw the damn bear just hanging out beside me a half a second to late. I was pounding the dodge button like mad.

zulux21

Well damn, thanks for that. Don't know why I didn't think of trying it.

Also, I realize the celebration animation for eating and leveling up is cute and all, but it's killed me twice! Stopped to eat a kill and during the howling animation I got one shot killed. I was sooooooo pissed. Especially because I saw the damn bear just hanging out beside me a half a second to late. I was pounding the dodge button like mad.

no problem... I figured I would share since I felt like such a badass when as a beagle I took out a pack of 6 wolves in about 5 seconds lol

and yeah I wish you could cancel the celebrating for leveling up... I just got in the habit of clearing an area and then eating

LOL I wouldn't go that far.

It is a very cool and useful technique though.

I wouldn't go that far either, as it will only really help the first 30-40 years. Once things have to much hp/def to be auto killed it becomes far less useful :p

Oreoleo

I felt like such a badass when as a beagle I took out a pack of 6 wolves in about 5 seconds lol

Beagle is a goddam boss. OHKO a fucking GIANT PANDA, and was able to swipe,swipe,kill 2 full grown lions before a pack of dinosaurs ate me :(

If I knew a beagle could stand up against the lions I wouldn't have inadvertently ran right into the dino pack.

Also, there really needs to be a better (or, any) mechanic for kiting predators to better food. Why would an animal keep chasing a tiny little beagle if we pass something like a cow or sheep which is slower and easier to kill :(

zulux21

Also, there really needs to be a better (or, any) mechanic for kiting predators to better food. Why would an animal keep chasing a tiny little beagle if we pass something like a cow or sheep which is slower and easier to kill :(

that would have saved me in one of my runs. I had an angry cow after me... I ran into a lion... and then I just went crazy and started getting everything to attack me... I think I had like 4 tigers 2 lions 4 cows and 3 elephants chasing after me...
and then I died from hunger... if they had attacked each other though I could have eaten something.

(control tip)

Pretty much the only reason I can survive so long is because of this. Also jumping in a certain rhythm with some animals is faster than running. But not as fast as using the right stick to get around.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally got to sit down and play this for a bit. I'm not very good yet, but I'm loving it already. I really, really like how it's structured. You can save and return to a session later, which is nice, but a full game (or multiple games, even) can be experienced in one sitting. This works nicely for me since I just don't have the time for long games these days. And of course, the concept is simply amazing and I'm unexpectedly interested in tracking down data discs and finding out what happened. It seems to have a lot of content for a downloadable game, but I guess it was originally retail in Japan so it makes sense.

Can't wait to really sink my teeth in over the weekend.

I've been using that quick kill dodge technique, and yeah you will still die lol.

Anyone have tips on the "finding" challenges? Are they like usually hidden on the roof or something?

zulux21

I've been using that quick kill dodge technique, and yeah you will still die lol.

Anyone have tips on the "finding" challenges? Are they like usually hidden on the roof or something?

can't help there, I have yet to find one myself they tend to show up right after I failed my first challenge so I stop caring ><;

zulux21

As far as I've seen, it's per animal.

not sure about per animal, but I am pretty sure that you have to clear the story chapter before any more will show up.

Definitely possible, could just be the way I'm alternating story/survival mode that makes it seem like it's per animal to me.
I have ignored doing the story mission twice, and both times I ignored them even with a new animal I didn't see any usb drives to pick up :p

I haven't tried using an animal that I found story things with after clearing a story chapter yet though.

Ainaurdur

not sure about per animal, but I am pretty sure that you have to clear the story chapter before any more will show up.

That is what is has seemed like to me too. Reminds me when I get back to playing tonight I need to do another Story section. Get so caught up in Survival with multiple animals and forget to do it.

So does anyone else have to read and accept the whole online security agreement EVERY TIME YOU START THE GAME?

Any way to get rid of that?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So does anyone else have to read and accept the whole online security agreement EVERY TIME YOU START THE GAME?

You don't have to read it every time. I pressed something that made the Accept/Do Not Accept prompt show up right away, but I'm not sure what it was.

zulux21

i haven't seen it since the first time I started the game... I don't think I have been signed in since then either though lol

You don't have to read it every time. I pressed something that made the Accept/Do Not Accept prompt show up right away, but I'm not sure what it was.
Right on the dpad/stick. It's always that way.

Anyways, It's not the first ps3 game to have the EULA appear every time, though I haven't seen it in quite some time. Did it take that long to come this way?

Unlocking story:

Survival Mode- Pick up all three USB sticks to unlock a chapter. Not random. The sticks/story/location are all tied to each other. If you pick up one as any animal, the remaining will appear at the same locations no matter what game/animal you are.

Story Mode- Complete the unlocked chapter to make the next set of USB Sticks appear in Survival.

Repeat.

It's all in the XMB Game Manual.

I definitely got 6 of the drives as the same animal over two consecutivbe playthroughs (with the story mission being done in between).

Another pro-tip: Use your dash to traverse ground faster, but the trick is to make sure your stamina doesn't run completely out otherwise it will take a bit longer to recover.

Having a blast, but I'm still not very good. The longest I've managed to survive is 41 years before I hopped on top of a sleeping panther in the sewer and got mauled. Oh well, live and learn.

Holy fuck I just saw a (Animal Spoiler)
Pteradactyl
. Took my Beagle up to 67 years and to the S challenges and it gets insane. Damn raptop came out of nowhere in the dark and got me :(

zulux21

my last run was my shortest for a while... Tosas are mean lol. I was just running and trying to unlock them... I got mauled.... it likely would have gone better had I been able to find anything but desperates to bread with ><:

Zee-Row

Banned
The tall grass doesn't seem to work all the time , I was hiding in it to get a Tiger and he just jumped me like he was anticipating the attack.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Longest I've made it thus far was just under 50 years, with a Pig of all things. Just went ~30 years with a Gazelle before a multi-predator onslaught took my entire pack out. Seriously, at one point I had hyenas, lyacons, and lion cubs after me. The hell, man. :lol

What the hell are you supposed to do about toxicity? After 60 years my Golden Retriever finally died from it but there was basically nothing I could do to avoid it. Almost every area was polluted and after I used all of my water bottles (and I had like 5) I was forced to choose between dying from starvation or eating toxic animals and dying from toxicity. It's really lame...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Made it to ~105 with Lycaon. I honestly didn't think anything could be worse than various angry, hungry, and horny dinosaurs and then BAM
Homo Erectus
fucking dropped into every damn area--hundreds of the hairy bastards. I crept up on a group of napping ones at first, thinking they were merely chimpanzees, only to attack and be instantly deflected. One woke up and then three woke up and then a thousand woke up, so I spent my last few years running, evading, and starving until they cornered me in the sewers.

Quick question: I got the tuxedo during the run but when I went to the store, I noticed the item wasn't available. Is there no way to get one other than continuously completing all the challenges during a run?

Made it to ~105 with Lycaon. I honestly didn't think anything could be worse than various angry, hungry, and horny dinosaurs and then BAM
Homo Erectus
fucking dropped into every damn area--hundreds of the hairy bastards. I crept up on a group of napping ones at first, thinking they were merely chimpanzees, only to attack and be instantly deflected. One woke up and then three woke up and then a thousand woke up, so I spent my last few years running, evading, and starving until they cornered me in the sewers.
Haha. That's how my 102-year Beagle run ended.

"I've made a huge mistake."

Foxix Von

Homo Erectus

Quick question: I got the tuxedo during the run but when I went to the store, I noticed the item wasn't available. Is there no way to get one other than continuously completing all the challenges during a run?

I need to stop accidentally clicking on spoilers but holy crap that sounds awesome O_O

Koroviev

What the hell are you supposed to do about toxicity? After 60 years my Golden Retriever finally died from it but there was basically nothing I could do to avoid it. Almost every area was polluted and after I used all of my water bottles (and I had like 5) I was forced to choose between dying from starvation or eating toxic animals and dying from toxicity. It's really lame...

Yeah, I just finished my first run with poms, which lasted 25 years. Couldn't seem to get away from the toxicity.

Edit: And wow, time really does fly with this game. I've already played for an hour, but it felt like 20 minutes.

Yeah it's a real pain in the ass. If I see purple fog about to take over the screen I immediately head to the next area. It's the lack of food, let alone clean food, that really makes it aggravating but not necessarily broken. One good tip is to scramble to mark territories and if you can't find a mate or it's a risk, just head to the nest and sleep. It'll lower toxicity and I think restore life.

I've only gone as far as 68 years or so with a rabbit to my surprise. Once I understood how the game works I'm really just unlocking animals before I start going for trophies.

Foxix Von

I haven't run into too many issues with it yet. Maybe I just got lucky but every time you eat something it reduces your toxicity level as long as what you're eating isn't rotten. Haven't played much but the only time it really became a problem for me so far was in an area flooded by hundreds of easily killed cats so I just kept my pom constantly feeding on cat flesh.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well the sewers are always non-toxic if you are anywhere close to them, and eating things reduces toxicity as long as they aren't blinking purple. Otherwise I guess your best bet is to drop everything and leave that area anyway you can and hope for the best, but that can lead to some failed objectives thanks to time wasted, which always sucks.

Noema

I was completely oblivious to this game's existence until I heard about it in Tuesday's Bombcast. It instantly piqued my interest. Might buy it over the weekend. I love the style; I love its hardcore nature; mechanics seem solid and it has this very Japanese, early PS2-era vibe to it, the likes of which you don't see often these days.

Money is kinda tight, sadly and I also have a sizable backlog of games to go through.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
For toxicity, like so many other things, it's just luck sometimes. I think the more years you're alive in a single run, the more factors like toxicity stack against you if you linger in the same area/areas but I've run across stretches where every single area was fucked by either crazed groups of animals or toxicity. Puddles of water have saved me many times, especially with areas that have 2-3 right next to each other, so get to know where they are.

Also, always have items like magazines and water bottles on-hand to deal with the crazy onset of purple death. It seems like birds give up a ton of presents in my runs, so sometimes I just go after them hoping to grab some good items.

Me and like four other cheetahs just got peaced out by a single power-attack from a lion.

Wasn't expecting that.

Yo, the second I saw that lions had a charge attack, I ate some jerky and fucking booked it. You gotta stealth kill those cats.

Koroviev

Okay, now I've got a much better idea of how to deal with toxicity. In addition to eating non-contaminated food, taking medicine, and sleeping, it also helps to sprint through the area. Sprinting is also great for escaping from predators. I had my cat take a bite out of a hippo and escaped from him and his friend with ease...then almost immediately died of hunger OTL

Just one more round...

Kurod

Banned
Yo, the second I saw that lions had a charge attack, I ate some jerky and fucking booked it. You gotta stealth kill those cats.

They're not so bad. Me and my Tosa bro took out 3 lions in a big ol' rumble by the tracks. Their charge attacks give you plenty of time to dodge out of the way and circle around to their backs. Quick attacks don't do much to them but evade counters were one hit kills. I felt like a bad ass after that...then I was eaten by a pair of crocs.

I am seriously in love with this game even if I'm reluctant to kill certain animals. It's so damn addicting. Still kind of sucking at it, but I think I'm getting better. Haven't really been paying attention to the challenges, but I'm gonna start doing that now. Marking was my priority, but I realized exploring is better.

Got up to 75 as a retriever, was doing quite well until me and my 4 packmates got caught in an all out war between ~7-8 lionesses and ~15 hyenas in the train maps, could not get through and I eventually succumbed to Toxicity :/

Top Bottom