• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Went 106 years as a Cheetah.

The thing that messes me up and makes me kind of sad is that even though the homo erectus can be killed...they can't be eaten. They spread like the plague too, Shibuya Woods was filled with hundreds of them. Eventually I just found a safe corner and starved to death.

Hating life for missing the last challenge to complete the set. Freaking Jingu-bashi.

Went 106 years as a Cheetah.

The thing that messes me up and makes me kind of sad is that even though the homo erectus can be killed...they can't be eaten. They spread like the plague too, Shibuya Woods was filled with hundreds of them. Eventually I just found a safe corner and starved to death.

Hating life for missing the last challenge to complete the set. Freaking Jingu-bashi.
Yeah, I find it lame that you can't eat em either. The only thing you can do past 105 is find someplace to hide and ration meds/food until you die of toxicity/hunger/age, like my bears. Lol

I also almost had all the challenges. Goddamn Stonehedge! It was nighttime so I couldn't see it. Argh.

geebee

Banned
Don't forget to pick up the free DLC items in the store (Toro, Kuro, and the Loco Roco one). They're all indestructible and provide decent stat boosts, especially Loco Roco.
These are already available on the store? I didn't see them at all a couple of days ago, unless I missed it.

This game is really good, but trying to unlock every animal makes it a little repetitive. I'm the only one that after playing this game dream about a real Jungle/Ocean simulator with a free 3d open world to explore??? They should use Afrika/Aquanaut's Holidays as base and add the possibility to use animals like in Tokyo Jungle.

Had not thought about that. Now I'm just thinking open world animal kingdom type game :O would be pretty neat.

F*cking Tosa gang rollin deep. Got jumped by about 15+ of them trying to charge at the boss.

I just had a really rough go at this and met with failure. One of the requirements to unlock the Tosa challenge (in the last two attempts I made) is to breed twice, but the second time you breed it definitely has to be with a prime mate, since the Tosas will fuck - you - up. Spent the last 5 minutes running around where the boss was, chased by about 8 of those fuckers (who can seriously sniff you out), and then got taken down in one hit because I lost my two siblings. The air being toxic as usual didn't help.

On another note, I would be down for buying a whole new map if SCE Japan went that direction.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Bought this last night when my direct deposit went through. Left my PS3 on so it would complete the download and install automatically, now I'm just waiting to get home from work so I can actually play it. So excited.

I'll see if I can get my wife to play with me.

Jaruru

I just had a really rough go at this and met with failure. One of the requirements to unlock the Tosa challenge (in the last two attempts I made) is to breed twice, but the second time you breed it definitely has to be with a prime mate, since the Tosas will fuck - you - up. Spent the last 5 minutes running around where the boss was, chased by about 8 of those fuckers (who can seriously sniff you out), and then got taken down in one hit because I lost my two siblings. The air being toxic as usual didn't help.

On another note, I would be down for buying a whole new map if SCE Japan went that direction.

Totally agree. Was fked by Tosa seriously last night

Anyone found the camera angle in sewer annoying? Can't see shxt when I was down there...

I got around to downloading this, and it's interesting. The only real obstacle for me is dealing with toxicity, whether by fog or by contaminated food.

With that said...

DAMN, NATURE! YOU SCARY!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm not done yet, but reading this thread has been a lot of fun, and hilarious.

Some of you guys are terrible animals. Lol.

That happened my first round.

Went for a stealthy approach on my second go and snuck up on the boss. Its best to take em out 1 by 1

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I got lucky with the Tosa. They were already distracted by some chickens or something, so I was able to pick off a couple of his friends first, before I caught his attention. I still barely managed to kill him.

I got lucky with the Tosa. They were already distracted by some chickens or something, so I was able to pick off a couple of his friends first, before I caught his attention. I still barely managed to kill him.

Yeah Tosa boss is really hard. Golden Retrievers really suck.

I had to get a Prime Female pack with a female in order to take down the Tosa army.

Koroviev

Yeah, new maps would be awesome.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member

Get the Kamurocho map/assets from the Yakuza team, make it happen Sony and Sega.

Heck Yakuza 4's Kamurocho is practically a Tokyo Jungle map with all the rooftops and underground area.

I totally ran straight for the Boss Tosa, killed him, then got taken out by his cronies ~1.5 seconds later >_>>>

Yup, this is exactly what happened to me.

This game is really good, but trying to unlock every animal makes it a little repetitive. I'm the only one that after playing this game dream about a real Jungle/Ocean simulator with a free 3d open world to explore??? They should use Afrika/Aquanaut's Holidays as base and add the possibility to use animals like in Tokyo Jungle.

I've fantasized about this sort of game for a while which is why Tokyo Jungle is so exciting; it's the closest a game has ever come to realizing that vision.

Damn it, I can't wait to get home and play some more.

Warning the following is a huge ass rant!

I swaer to every being in the Universe, this motherfucking game is a bloody pain in the ass! I try to be stealth, I do unlock animals, and am trying to have fun, but what do you do when I begin to start to enjoy this bitch? YOU FUCK ME HARD AND KILL ME!

I swear, last time I played as the Beagle, a fucking pussy ass cat attack this horse, right around Year 44, I was waiting for Year 45, when oh yeah, that horse you saw, it'll blame YOU for that piece of shit cat's attack on him, and "WHAM" doubles down, and slams on you, and all your fucking pack! Tigers, and bears? No problem! Bitch-ass horses? FUCK!!!!!

Then what happens? You give me a pussy for a dog, know as a Retriever, who dies to not the Hyena, or the Boss Tosa, but a random ass fucking BUNNY RABBIT! HOW THE FUCK IS THAT POSSIBLE! I won't even go into toxicity, or how when I hide in the sewers, all the fucking animals are going beserk! JUST BECAUSE!

I HATE THIS GAME! I played until 3 am, and still got up to work with my friends, and all I can think about is why can't I beat this! AHH!

Having said that, I look forward to playing again...;p

My brother and I played a Porcupine Beagel team in co-op. Fun, except for the fucking swarms of ancient reptiles! It must be my luck, I swear...

Cuddler

Had not thought about that. Now I'm just thinking open world animal kingdom type game :O would be pretty neat.
That would be awesome indeed, unfortunately I'm not sure that it will have a really big sales potential.
I've fantasized about this sort of game for a while which is why Tokyo Jungle is so exciting; it's the closest a game has ever come to realizing that vision.
Same for me, Tokyo Jungle is only a "little" more crazy than that vision. lol

AngryMoth

Just got the game today. Just as wierd and wonderfull as I'd hoped it would be. Managed to unlock a cat and the beagle but kind of feel like I'm not very good at the game for only getting those 2 as I have been playing quite a long time. Once I get to about 35 years every animal I encounter seems to be something crazy like a lion or a panther!

AngryMoth

A few questions after reading some of the thread. Haven't noticed the sewers, how do you access those? Also, how do you sleep? Finally, what are the other effects of marking territory, it removes toxicity?

Didn't touch multiplayer today, had no idea it was local co-op! That is EXCELLENT news :D

Koroviev

A few questions after reading some of the thread. Haven't noticed the sewers, how do you access those? Also, how do you sleep? Finally, what are the other effects of marking territory, it removes toxicity?

Didn't touch multiplayer today, had no idea it was local co-op! That is EXCELLENT news :D

The sewer entryways are marked on the map.

And marking territory doesn't remove toxicity, sleeping does.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just bought this...after the tutorial what is supposed to happen? Te story mode offers nothing beyond it and it says "cleared"

Story mode is more or less an afterthought to Survival mode. The Story mode missions can't even be accessed until you start collecting data discs with the starting animals in Survival mode.

Story mode is more or less an afterthought to Survival mode. The Story mode missions can't even be accessed until you start collecting data discs with the starting animals in Survival mode.

Ohhh. Well alright then. I thought Survival was the side stuff..like Mecenaries in RE5

Koroviev

I haven't even touched the story mode yet. Survival mode is too good. It's just like endless mode in Super Stardust Delta.

Just bought this...after the tutorial what is supposed to happen? Te story mode offers nothing beyond it and it says "cleared"

For every three data discs (or USB sticks or whatever they are) you find in Survival, you'll unlock another Story chapter. It doesn't matter which animal you choose for Survival, the discs will always be there.

Yeah its weird the way it works, but it explains it in the manual.
You can't stack story missions...you have to go survival-story-survival-story. Best thing I found is to pretty much do the unlock animal+unlock story in survival, then do a story mission, then use a new animal to unlock another new animal+unlock more story.

Holy crap at unlocking the bear mission. There were about 6 bears guarding the last marker and I had to wait for them to chase a pig in order to sneak in with enough time to take the marker. I died seconds after i took it when they jumped me.

Necrovex

I made a poor choice and got too cocky with my Pomeranian. I decided I was boss enough to attack a hippo. Well, I found out why that wasn't a good idea. :-(

Am I the only one that's a little pissed at not being able to play as the Crocodile yet? I mean, it's right there. Come on. At least hide it from me, don't rub the fact that I can't buy it yet in my face.

I'm really liking this game, but I can't help but feel that it could be a lot more balanced. Am I wrong?

Yuterald

I made it to year 100 with a Beagle! I was chilling out in the sewers for my final 20 years and I got pretty close to dying between years 98-100. The things walking around year 100+ are pretty ridiculous, lol!

Oh, does anyone know what the max Generation (G) is for an animal? Can you just level an animal indefinitely? Do their stats ever stop increasing? Is there a max Generation to reach? I guess it's still too early to know, but I figured I would ask.

batfax

Oh, good. I thought I was the only one who was having trouble with the Tosa boss when it took me like, two days to get him. When I finally did, it was the tensest thing I've experienced in a game for a while. Each time I was always getting screwed over by lions, toxicity, darkness, or accidentally running into the pack when I wasn't intending to. On the last try, I managed to hit all of those problems when I began my attack on his territory and, with my last retriever, spent the last of my years skulking around, taking out Tosas one by one until I found the boss, killed him and his pack in direct combat, and finally keeled over.

After that it was pretty disappointing that unlocking the animals after the Tosa was pretty darn easy.

Oh, does anyone know what the max Generation (G) is for an animal? Can you just level an animal indefinitely? Do their stats ever stop increasing? Is there a max Generation to reach? I guess it's still too early to know, but I figured I would ask.

I want to say the max Generation is around 99.

Story missions are kinda annoying, protect this, sneak past that, ugh.....

EDIT: Also don't worry if you don't have stamina and get targeted for a fatal attack. You can still evade + punish.

Kurdel

Banned
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this game.

Sure, the incredible concept and game world seduced me like everyone else here, but I find the rinse,wash and repeat gameplay tiresome.

I am going to unlock the cheetah, and I don't really care anymore.

15 is a great price for the 5 hours I have spent with this game, but random maps would have bumped this up to 60$ game in my eyes. When I am in Shibuya Suburbs and the challenge tells me to go to the west train station, it's just a chore.

Still, anyone on mildly interested this will have a blast, because the concept is still really awesome. I think it's telling that I will keep playing this dispite what I wrote.

I think they should have allowed you to collect more than three files at a time, or unlock multiple animals at a time. Once I've collected the three files and unlocked the new animal I start losing interest in that playthrough pretty quickly. I know there's the challenges, but if you miss one and therefore can't get the complete all challenges reward there's not much motivation to do any of the others.

Sure, the incredible concept and game world seduced me like everyone else here, but I find the rinse,wash and repeat gameplay tiresome.
I thought so too after my third or so survival run. God knows how many hours and runs later and I still love it. Randomized maps and larger environments would have been nice (among other changes/improvements the game could use) but the game is still amazing as is, and at $12-$15, I think it's a hell of a deal.
Hopefully we get a sequel that improves on the formula the way we want it to.
When I am in Shibuya Suburbs and the challenge tells me to go to the west train station, it's just a chore
Use the topmost manhole cover in the Suburbs and make the trip underground to Yoyogi Park. Easier than trekking through every single area and getting hit with every environmental hazard in the game along the way.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I was playing as a sheep only 5 years when things are usually super easy and the random generator decided to basically max out the food bar at the area I was in. So I went out of control eating all the grasses I could find. Since it was at the easy section of the game I was pretty sloppy and let a beagle see me.

But it turns out getting away from him was harder then I first thought. I learned pretty quick that there was a reason that area had so much edible grass since apparently the area was packed to the brim with preditors of all types meaning no grazers had a shot at getting to that food. Running away from the beagle just attracted more and more attention until I had like 10 different packs of breeds chasing me all at once. It was pretty chaotic and my poor little sheepy ended up getting eatten by pretty much everything before it could even last one additional generation.

I'd been mostly relying on my ability to run away then to be super sneaky when playing the grazers since getting the chasers stuck on geometry seems pretty easy. But man that did not work out this last time as sheep concidering that by the time you turn a corner you are running away from a different breed of animals.

I think they should have allowed you to collect more than three files at a time, or unlock multiple animals at a time. Once I've collected the three files and unlocked the new animal I start losing interest in that playthrough pretty quickly. I know there's the challenges, but if you miss one and therefore can't get the complete all challenges reward there's not much motivation to do any of the others.

You're still playing for score. I like to see how long i can make it even if I'm playing some shitty grazer. Makes for interesting situations.

zulux21

You're still playing for score. I like to see how long i can make it even if I'm playing some shitty grazer. Makes for interesting situations.

hehe I played to unlock just the animal with the rabbit... once I did I saw how much I could take out before I died... the answer is quite a bit.
2 golden retrievers
1 beagle
1 silky terrier
3 sheep
some other random small things.
and half of a horse... yes half because the other half murdered me in one hit lol

Top Bottom