• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, say one of my challenges is "Change generations 1 time(s)", and I'm at 4 years, with no other challenges to do. Is there any reason I shouldn't just chill in the grass until just before the challenge expires before I mate? I really don't see the benefit in mating ASAP.

zulux21

So, say one of my challenges is "Change generations 1 time(s)", and I'm at 4 years, with no other challenges to do. Is there any reason I shouldn't just chill in the grass until just before the challenge expires before I mate? I really don't see the benefit in mating ASAP.

you could always spend the time working your way to be in good position for your next challenges... as for the benefit in mating asap... if you make a stupid mistake then at least you have a second (or more) animal to switch to.

web01

Man you people were not kidding about the Tosa boss he is strong.

I attacked him from the back going through the sewers > park > train tracks; his charge attack killed all my siblings in one hit then I got destroyed by him and the rest of his pack.

Also its stupid how the far right and up exit of the sewers leads to the park, the other exits match up properly.

Also regarding the different game sizes do the euro language versions change the actual area loaded for the challenges that are find X place (like the phone sign, post office and so on). That is the only reason I could see for the huge size difference.

I did the Tosa boss earlier. He showed up in Yoyogi Park West for me (ugh). It was dark. Suddenly I hear the Caution blip and me and my pack get launched into the air. It was the Tosa boss with 4 lackeys. On one hand, I was ecstatic that I had found him; on the other, I was in "OH SHIT" mode because Tosas are fucking assholes.

It killed my initial Retriever, but I managed to swipe > R1 him in all the chaos after switching control, which was a relief. Unfortunately, all my brothers were killed after that ;(

And not only that, but in the previous area (Yamanote Line West), I was chased by around 10-15 Lions, Lionesses, and Lion Cubs. kgjbarfjkgnatdhnblkatd

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I do sorta wish there were a little more variation in the mid-game spawn locations. It seems like Yamanote is ALWAYS filled to the brim with lions at the 30-40 year mark. Is a family of bears or tigers too much to ask here? :lol

zulux21

I did the Tosa boss earlier. He showed up in Yoyogi Park West for me (ugh). It was dark. Suddenly I hear the Caution blip and me and my pack get launched into the air. It was the Tosa boss with 4 lackeys. On one hand, I was ecstatic that I had found him; on the other, I was in "OH SHIT" mode because Tosas are fucking assholes.

It killed my initial Retriever, but I managed to swipe > R1 him in all the chaos after switching control, which was a relief. Unfortunately, all my brothers were killed after that ;(

And not only that, but in the previous area (Yamanote Line West), I was chased by around 10-15 Lions, Lionesses, and Lion Cubs. kgjbarfjkgnatdhnblkatd

I got lucky while playing multiplayer and he spawned in dogenzaka (or whatever it's called) and he appeared in the first 20 feet of it... so we killed him and ran the hell away lol. We ended up making it to year 80 together so it turned out to be a decent run.

I do sorta wish there were a little more variation in the mid-game spawn locations. It seems like Yamanote is ALWAYS filled to the brim with lions at the 30-40 year mark. Is a family of bears or tigers too much to ask here? :lol

best spawn I had after mid game started was
panda bears and kangaroo and boy did they hate each other
lol

Kurod

Banned
While playing as a Jackal I was heading toward the park for my b rank challenges when I saw an alert that "a battle for supremacy has begun in Yoyogi park west". What I saw was awesome. Freaking lions and tigers EVERYWHERE in an all out war. It was crazy.

I would love to try co-op one of these days. I wonder how awful it will be using my Madcatz Brawl stick... probably pretty awful because of the awkward position for the start button.

best spawn I had after mid game started was
panda bears and kangaroo and boy did they hate each other
lol
Man, I haven't seen a
panda bear yet. I am so jealous.

The coolest spawns for me were in Shibuya Station. It was literally a battlefield. Tigers, crocs, zebras, rabbits, etc.--they were all fighting. It was so awesome. They were so busy killing each other/trying to survive that they never even noticed me as I was casually running past them. Swipes and blood everywhere.

zulux21

I would love to try co-op one of these days. I wonder how awful it will be using my Madcatz Brawl stick... probably pretty awful because of the awkward position for the start button.

Man, I haven't seen a
panda bear yet. I am so jealous.

The coolest spawns for me were in Shibuya Station. It was literally a battlefield. Tigers, crocs, zebras, rabbits, etc.--they were all fighting. It was so awesome. They were so busy killing each other that they never even noticed me as I was casually running past them.

it was part of an event
mythical creatures appear or something like that
I was expecting something different from that event... I didn't have much time to enjoy the battle though as i was running from 40 plus enemies including at least 20 that could kill me in one hit lol

Sgblues

Anyone else have a problem with cheetahs? For all the big cats, when facing them they seem to be on crack, they never seem to tire out, they attack nonstop and they hit hard like bricks, worse if they gang up on you where it just seems your lifebar and any packmates you have die in one hit even if you dodge like mad.

Even more dumb is if you do a counter pounce to one hit kill them, they can either knock you out of it, or stun lock you with paw swipes.

Ohhhh myyyy goooooooood at the Heroine Mask. Just got it in a drop.

UGUU, ONII-CHAN~~~~

It goes so damn well with my school-girl uniform and cutie collar! This fucking game. Tosa is totes kawaii now. Totes.

What does the number mean next to my equipment/clothes? Is it some kind of durability?
Do you mean the blue bar? That represents an item's durability. When the bar depletes, the item breaks and you have to equip a new one. You can buy items you already unlocked in the store.

Do you mean the blue bar? That represents an item's durability. When the bar depletes, the item breaks and you have to equip a new one. You can buy items you already unlocked in the store.

Yeah, that. Thanks. So if an item breaks I just buy it, I don't have to find it again?

I present to you all my badass Tosa

Onii-chan~ said:
UguuKawaii%7E.png

Oh man. I was fortunate enough to have the Tosa boss spawn in Dogenzaka and be at Boss level and mate with a prime. My pack and I slowly and silently take them down left and right and I had only seen one more. That one more, the damn game wouldn't give me the signal for the bite kill so I had to take it down with regular slash attacks and it actually took down ALL of my siblings until the last one finally killed it. Luckily the boss was alone and I was in some tall grass and boom, mission accomplished. I bet this is far from the worst boss, too.

Oh man. Portable beds are a godsend.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You're still playing for score. I like to see how long i can make it even if I'm playing some shitty grazer. Makes for interesting situations.

I'm coming up to 60 years on my first Sika Deer playthrough (my first time grazing at all). I'm in the park and it's filled with lions, cougars, bears, and wolves so I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before 70-75, but I'm really impressed I wasn't wiped out at age 10 hahaha.

I haven't even used any grazers in survival yet. Lol
Cheetah is my fav animal so far. Fast as hell, but needs to eat a lot. Going to do my panther playthough right now

Anyone else have a problem with cheetahs? For all the big cats, when facing them they seem to be on crack, they never seem to tire out, they attack nonstop and they hit hard like bricks, worse if they gang up on you where it just seems your lifebar and any packmates you have die in one hit even if you dodge like mad.

Even more dumb is if you do a counter pounce to one hit kill them, they can either knock you out of it, or stun lock you with paw swipes.

Seems like you aren't strong enough. Once you make it to about the Retriever, the only way to take down the bigger predators is to clean kill them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally played my first game for about an hour last night. I made it to year 8 as the Pomeranian before getting eaten by a Beagle when, for some reason, they still managed to find me after the meter hit 0% and they weren't sure where I was at. I couldn't get away fast enough.

Started up a new game, mated with a gross dog, and had two puppies, who also grew up and mated with a gross mate, and that is where I saved for the night. I'll play more later today.

Really enjoying the game so far, and I'm looking forward to unlocking more animals to play as. I'm glad there are more quirky, weird games like this making it over to the States. Hopefully SCEA and SCEJ take note, and bring more titles that they wouldn't normally think would sell over here for $60 as $15-$20 PSN titles.

Koroviev

So this at Eurogamer...Game had a surprising amount of interest. Also, the visuals looked better than I expected.

While the graphics are poor, the game has a distinct style.

I haven't even used any grazers in survival yet. Lol
Cheetah is my fav animal so far. Fast as hell, but needs to eat a lot. Going to do my panther playthough right now

Seems like you aren't strong enough. Once you make it to about the Retriever, the only way to take down the bigger predators is to clean kill them.

I haven't played as a grazer yet, either. It's too much fun to be a predator. Also, I need to stop advancing my dynasty of ruthless cat warriors :x

Nosgoroth

This game is a survival horror for me. When a crocodile just sneaks on my Pomeranian under the cover of crippling darkness and my only warning is a second-long prompt to evade before a massive THING two-hits me... well, I get scared. Having no food and feeling the necessity of fleeing to an area infested with lions, panthers and other big cats, and then having no choice but to attack some cubs and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE when their parents show up en masse... it's scary.

Meanwhile, taking down hyenas, cows and boars with a puny Pomeranian just feels badass.

Also, I can't figure out how to unlock animals.

Koroviev

This game is a survival horror for me. When a crocodile just sneaks on my Pomeranian under the cover of crippling darkness and my only warning is a second-long prompt to evade before a massive THING two-hits me... well, I get scared. Having no food and feeling the necessity of fleeing to an area infested with lions, panthers and other big cats, and then having ni choice but to attack some cubs and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE... it's scary.

Meanwhile, taking down hyenas, cows and boars with a puny Pomeranian just feels badass.

Also, I can't figure out how to unlock animals.

You have to defeat animal bosses to unlock more animals.

And I'm terrible at evading with the prompt. So, I either go the offensive route or flee.

I almost failed the Wolf challenge because there was no food, my hunger meter depleted, and I only had one Tosa plus a (desperate) mate. Reached the nest with 003 health left and took down the boss. So goddamned scary!

My favorite moment so far though is the game saying "There's a battle for supremacy in the Shibuya Shop District." I figure okay, there will be a nice supply of food there. Tigers and lions mauling the shit out of one another. :lol

Just as good was the chimp/wolf/hyena/crocodile/hippo brawl in Shibuya Woods.

pantsmith

Theres nothing worse than fighting off packs of animals, only to have them spoil immediately and leave you half dead, poisoned and hungry.

Was in the clear for the last round of challenges on my Hyena when I was given the choice between dying of poison or starvation. That poor Hyena died scared and alone :(

skynidas

Banned
I guess only certain ones count because I have a few.

You have to get all of the ones that appear on your map, that will unlock a chapter of the story, when you complete that chapter you have to go again to survival mode and collect the new "memory cards" that appear on your map, and so on.

Setre

Played for an hour and a half or so, got to year 50 with the Pomeranian and unlocked a cat to play as. Basically ended up suiciding with the Pomeranian. I went into the subway/sewers (whatever they are) and just ran around. Eventually hit an area with a mountain lion in it and attacked him for the lols.

How do you unlock more animals? Is it by completing the challenges?

Played for an hour and a half or so, got to year 50 with the Pomeranian and unlocked a cat to play as. Basically ended up suiciding with the Pomeranian. I went into the subway/sewers (whatever they are) and just ran around. Eventually hit an area with a mountain lion in it and attacked him for the lols.

How do you unlock more animals? Is it by completing the challenges?

Play as one animal and complete the boss challenge to unlock another animal. Then play as that animal and do that challenge, etc.

Top Bottom