• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't had a case where if I lead an animal attacking me to another animal that it would fight them instead, but I have come across a case where an AI dog was growling at a Horse (I think it was not 100%) and they ended up fighting and ignoring me

That can definitely happen, yes. I've seen it occur twice now under different circumstances. One was when I got ambushed by a black panther and went into a bush to hide (futile), then going out and luckily attracting hyenas that then attracted the black panther's attention. The other was when I chose to attack a bigger animal and stood no chance of winning. Another animal ran past and a fight between them broke out when the animal I originally attacked swiped at the one running past, allowing me to get the fuck out of there.

Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear. I love the idea of the world being able to function without the player, meaning you could spectate and watch things happen without being directly involved. It makes the game feel alive, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the responses.

Flunkie

Banned
Game is awesome. But yeah, it does make me kinda sad, as someone said above. It's the kind of game I'd want to show to my girlfriend but at the same time I don't because it'd make her even more upset to see a golden retriever die and have its corpse eaten.

Game is awesome. But yeah, it does make me kinda sad, as someone said above. It's the kind of game I'd want to show to my girlfriend but at the same time I don't because it'd make her equally as mad as me to see a golden retriever die and have its corpse eaten.

At first, mine was unhappy about it. Then she started playing and changed her tune.

At first, mine was unhappy about it. Then she started playing and changed her tune.
I was actually eager to show my five-year-old nephew the game because it had animals in it and it was quirky. I sort of hyped him up for it and he'd ask "Did you buy Tokyo Jungle yet?" every time he saw me. Then I saw the quick-look and an "uh oh" feeling came over me. For some reason I totally blanked out on the whole "kill and eat to survive" bits.

He was really looking forward to it, so I felt bad about crushing his excitement and telling him he wouldn't be able to watch :(

Celegus

Man this is even better than I thought it would be. I got wrecked with my Pomeranian while trying to figure the game out, but I had better luck with the Silka Deer and got all of the challenges. I would have played more, but it took about 3 hours to download.

This morning on my way to work, I passed a lady walking her Pomeranian and just busted out laughing as I walked by. I was trying so hard not to, but the back of my mind was just telling me to RUN GET AWAY FROM THAT VICIOUS MONSTER!!!

Man this is even better than I thought it would be. I got wrecked with my Pomeranian while trying to figure the game out, but I had better luck with the Silka Deer and got all of the challenges. I would have played more, but it took about 3 hours to download.

This morning on my way to work, I passed a lady walking her Pomeranian and just busted out laughing as I walked by. I was trying so hard not to, but the back of my mind was just telling me to RUN GET AWAY FROM THAT VICIOUS MONSTER!!!

ohh man.. so this game has that effect on players :D

you know, like playing lots of Skate or THPS makes you look at handrails and think "man i wanna do a switch tailslide 360 flip out on that".

i think i'll download this tonight. i wonder what animal i should try first.. hmm, maybe the deer. yeah i'll try the deer.

Can someone explain how the save system works? I started playing, but died about 5 min later LOL. None of my stats carried over when I started again.

zulux21

Can someone explain how the save system works? I started playing, but died about 5 min later LOL. None of my stats carried over when I started again.

As far as I can tell when you make new generations the stat boosts from those are saved as well as your points and any unlocks, beyond that if you save in game (at the breeding area) it's really just a temp save that will allow you to resume from where you left off a single time (much like how handhelds do it)

any items you pick up, or food exp you get and what not isn't saved from game to game, you have to start fresh each time.

I olny played till I die, but if you say about saving in the place where you also can mate, I suppose it´s like a temporal save....

Ever play any SRPGs? Saving in this game is pretty much like that. It's a temporary save that gets discarded after you load it (and you can't save immediately after loading it on the nest).

Wow, beaten.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Stats don't carry over between games, do they? If I lived 30 years as a deer, died, then started a new game as a deer, I'm back to square one, right?

Also, is there a way to see if a neighborhood is "toxic" from the map screen?

zulux21

Stats don't carry over between games, do they? If I lived 30 years as a deer, died, then started a new game as a deer, I'm back to square one, right?

im pretty sure the generation boosts carry over. When you go to select a deer again it should say something like 3G (assuming you got to 3rd generation) instead of 1G like the animals you haven't played near the bottom stats. Granted the boost isn't much if that is the case, but it's still something.

They do. Your generations stack, and so do their bonuses. You'll start seeing a purple outline around the little stat graph in the menu after you've mated a few times. Also, I think some weather events come up on the ticker, but they move in and out randomly. Fucking up all my plants. :mad:

Yes, back to square one.

Edit: Wait what?? Gotta check it out in the night.

About toxic, the only way I know is by paying attention to the screen when it saids what place is with toxic.

Celegus

It looks like it's just for leaderboards (which is kind of disappointing). Unlocking animals is from challenges, and unlocking story missions is from the collectables.

It looks like it's just for leaderboards (which is kind of disappointing). Unlocking animals is from challenges, and unlocking story missions is from the collectables.

You still pay to unlock the animals with SP after you've beaten them. And you buy items from the store.

vg260

Game is awesome. But yeah, it does make me kinda sad, as someone said above. It's the kind of game I'd want to show to my girlfriend but at the same time I don't because it'd make her even more upset to see a golden retriever die and have its corpse eaten.

Well, it's the apocalypse, and animal species are trying to survive. It's funny how desensitized people are to human violence by comparison when humans in games or movies are getting hacked up or blown away all the time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Well, it's the apocalypse, and animal species are trying to survive. It's funny how desensitized people are to human violence by comparison when humans in games or movies are getting hacked up or blown away all the time.

Humans aren't cute and fluffy. I'll definitely avoid hurting any cats, I just can't bring myself to do such a thing.

zulux21

Humans aren't cute and fluffy. I'll definitely avoid hurting any cats, I just can't bring myself to do such a thing.
I love cats myself... but also I do recall muttering something along the line of "That's right kitty, mess with the Pomeranian you get the jaw" after a cat attacked me >.>

vg260

I always found the idea of players shooting humans around the city in GTA games uncomfortable, and never played them. This being animal survival seems less squeamish in context.

coldfoot

Banned
As a dog, I can attack other dogs and eat them, but as a cat I can attack other cats but can't eat them. Dog eat dog world?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As a dog, I can attack other dogs and eat them, but as a cat I can attack other cats but can't eat them. Dog eat dog world?

Cats follow a code of honor that prevents them from committing such atrocities. Dogs? Well, anything goes with Dogs...

PlayStation.Blog: First and foremost, what possessed you to make a game in which you can pit a house cat against a panda bear in a brutal fight to the death?

Yohei Kataoka: In Japan it’s always been a universal concept of having a world without humans. And animals are also kind of a universal concept. So both of these concepts are quite popular, but I felt that if we could combine these two ideas it could result in something very catchy, very new and very exciting.

PSB: What was Sony Japan Studio’s initial response when you pitched the concept?

Yohei Kataoka: It was bad! Initially! It wasn’t received so well at the very beginning. I think there weren’t so many people that thought this game would sell just based on the concept, but as the game started to take form there was good user reaction and feedback.

PSB: Were you frustrated that much of the coverage of the game has focussed on how eccentric the concept is, rather than the gameplay itself?

Yohei Kataoka: We wanted that hook, first of all, to get the attention. Then, as people played it and gathered more information they would find out that it’s a real game with substance. So we took time to make sure that was there – the substance – and took time to tune the gameplay.

Initially when [Sony Worldwide Studios president] Yoshida-san said that he didn’t necessarily have a positive view of the project, he explained there was a catchiness to the concept but the gameplay itself wasn’t at the same level. So we had to take some time to bring that up to the same level. That’s why it took some time from Tokyo Game Show 2010 for these adjustments to take place.

PSB: How difficult is it to balance the gameplay when you have chickens fighting polar bears?

Yohei Kataoka: The point of the game is not to fight and win against whatever animal you’re against. The point of the game is to survive as long as you can. So a baby chicken and a polar bear have their own survival methods – there are different skill sets needed for different animals.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...tory-behind-2012s-most-eccentric-action-game/

Gagaman

My girlfriend saw me watching the quicklook and was all 'eeeww' when a dog ate another dog the first time (she loves dogs) but soon was laughing at the deer kicking other animals and the chicks chasing after the deer, and also eventually found the eating funny as they all become the same skeleton when they die. She was also intrigued by the gameplay. :)

I really wanted to play this last night, but the dl speeds were totally busted. I started it at 5:30 yesterday after work and it didn't finish until sometime this morning while I was asleep. Gonna play tonight with the wife and demonstrate my animal prowess. I described the game to her and she seems...intrigued. Pomeranians certainly helped.

This is my issue with Sony. They have a in house developed game like Tokyo Jungle that needs all the help it can get to sell, but then they can't even properly format the trailer on the PSN store to play in the correct aspect ratio. They don't even respect their own games...

Can't believe I stayed up until 5am playing the game. Talk about addictive!
Last thing I did was unlock the wolf, and I think I'm like halfway to unlocking the
dinosaur
. Can't wait.

leehom

How do I scare away a mate? or how do I know the female is a good mate instead of a average one?

What do they black hearts mean, diseased?

How do I scare away a mate? or how do I know the female is a good mate instead of a average one?

What do they black hearts mean, diseased?

I actually can't tell between average and prime (2 vs 3 hearts or something?), the latter of which I have yet to see. Black hearts mean they're desperate, I believe. I'm guessing you get better stats post-breeding the better the mate.

I was 3 years away from the 40-year trophy last night. Fucking fuck beagles!

I actually can't tell between average and prime (2 vs 3 hearts or something?), the latter of which I have yet to see. Black hearts mean they're desperate, I believe. I'm guessing you get better stats post-breeding the better the mate.

I was 3 years away from the 40-year trophy last night. Fucking fuck beagles!

Better mate = more siblings. I'm not sure if the stats improve.

Top Bottom