• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

I heard Shadow Dragon being mentioned as a not very good game as sentiment I agree with. But we also got New Mystery of the Emblem, which is absolutely incredible and one of the most consistently difficult games I have ever played and I consider it one of the best SRPGs ever made.

TMS is a pretty damn solid time from my experience, I might buy it a second time to support Atlus RPGs.

Teknoman

Personally I just want Nintendo to forge ahead with JRPGs on their consoles and not just handhelds. Regardless of budget.

Mediking

No. You're Itsuki on the overworld map, and in battles your party consists of Itsuki and 2 other members you choose when fighting enemies. The rest consists of your subparty but you can switch in members during battle.

You're playing from Itsuki's "perspective" as he is supposed to be a foil and contrast to the rest of the cast.

Itsuki can be Atlus rep for the next Smash. Like seriously. I bet Sakurai is planning it.
"ME!ME!ME!", a song (and accompanied music video) from Teddyloid (feat. daoka). Just a warning, it's...weird, but the song is incredibly catchy (at least it is to me), plus it has some insane animation. There's a remix called ME!ME!ME! Chronic you might want to check out too, but I prefer the original.

Again, I stress, the music video is very weird.

*checks tracking again*

I have express shipping, everything will be fine...

Hahah I'll try to find it on Youtube!

Trace

Banned
Itsuki can be Atlus rep for the next Smash. Like seriously. I bet Sakurai is planning it.

You won't find the actual video on Youtube as it contains a decent amount of nudity. A google search should find it though.

EDIT: Wow just actually found it on youtube. Weird.

chrono01

I made an edit to my post, I'm not sure if you read it or not.

The PV is a little...not-safe-for-work, so if you intend to give it a view/listen, don't do it at work or whatever. Unless you enjoy awkward stares.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So how big's the update? Is it a quick, small one that can download while I'm in town for an hour?

Mediking

Personally I just want Nintendo to forge ahead with JRPGs on their consoles and not just handhelds. Regardless of budget.

We all want console JRPGS on Nintendo consoles but it's tough to do. Sony is lucky because 3rd parties pretty much do it for them. Nintendo has to do it themselves. Hopefully NX changes that. Not getting FF7 Remake would be pretty stupid.

You won't find the actual video on Youtube as it contains a decent amount of nudity. A google search should find it though.

I made an edit to my post, I'm not sure if you read it or not.

The PV is a little...not-safe-for-work, so if you intend to give it a view/listen, don't do it at work or whatever. Unless you enjoy awkward stares.

Oooohhhh... one of those videos, eh? I'M IN!!! Let's watch!

EDarkness

It's a cool little clip and an interesting story, too. Definitely not something you want to watch at work. It's violent and has some nudity.

Shun

Just for the people in North America getting digital, the game has been up on the eShop to download it and install for a while now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pre-ordered from Amazon ages ago. Hasn't shipped yet for release date delivery.

Feck.

Mediking

I figured I'd warn you just in-case, haha. Enjoy!

Oh, tracking updated. It's finally been released and en-route to me. Ya--

"Estimated Time of Delivery

By Monday, June 27, 2016"

...Oh.

:(

This video.... whoa.... hahaha it's pretty mesmerizing. Life lesson learned!!!

Sorry your copy got delayed!!!

Well just chatted with someone from amazon.de
They told me the game is out stock and that is the reason why my game wasn't shipped ...
I still hope I can get the fortissimo edition somehow ...

chrono01

This video.... whoa.... hahaha it's pretty mesmerizing. Life lesson learned!!!

Sorry your copy got delayed!!!
Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The video really is something else.

And it's okay, maybe I'll get a surprise and it'll be delivered early. There's still hope!

Oh, if anyone in Canada is looking for the Special Edition, EBGames.ca has some in-stock (at least one, anyway). It's exclusive there, AFAIK.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Wii U/Games/723800/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-special-edition

Shun

They told me the game is out stock and that is the reason why my game wasn't shipped ...

That sucks and I don't think you want to spend 89 euros for it, 15+ euros more than the regular price from a third party on amazon...

I hope you do find one in another store or online.

Seems like in NA, the only place left that has the special edition is at Gamestop.

nikos

Looks like GameStop and Best Buy have the SE in stock, including some brick & mortar stores. Thinking about picking it up tomorrow.

EDIT: Local Best Buy stock is already dropping. Placed an order for one at a further location and it went out of stock immediately after. Wonder if they only had one. Best Buy stock availability is usually accurate. Guess I'll find out in the morning.

Bought the SE without owning a Wii U sigh* gotta wait till August, when my friend comes back in town and let me borrow his Wii U, before I can play the game.

That sucks and I don't think you want to spend 89 euros for it, 15+ euros more than the regular price from a third party on amazon...

I hope you do find one in another store or online.

Seems like in NA, the only place left that has the special edition is at Gamestop.

I just wait and see what will happen with my amazon order.

Worst case I will buy the japanese fortissimo edition because right now I'm in Tokyo
haha how ironic
and here it is quite cheap.

knkng

Just played through the prologue. I had a very general idea about this game, but decided to go into it more-or-less blind (I knew it was very "Japanese" and revolved around idol stuff, but nothing about the mechanics).

All I can say is, I'm really, really, really enjoying this so far. I don't know how people could complain about this not being "Fire Emblem enough" or whatever. I really like what they've done here, as opposed to just having basic SMT meets Fire Emblem fluff. This game is totally bizarre in all the right ways. I love how the main characters are completely confused about what's going on, and then
5 seconds later they immediately strike a superhero pose and transform themselves
. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Also surprised at how similar it is to Persona, but with everything I hate about Persona removed (yeah, I might get some heat for this one). But seriously, non-randomized dungeons, not locking you to a clock, gaining abilities from battle experience, all rolled into a Persona-esque package. Please Nintendo, more game like this!

Shun

Just played through the prologue. I had a very general idea about this game, but decided to go into it more-or-less blind (I knew it was very "Japanese" and revolved around idol stuff, but nothing about the mechanics).

All I can say is, I'm really, really, really enjoying this so far. I don't know how people could complain about this not being "Fire Emblem enough" or whatever. I really like what they've done here, as opposed to just having basic SMT meets Fire Emblem fluff. This game is totally bizarre in all the right ways. I love how the main characters are completely confused about what's going on, and then
5 seconds later they immediately strike a superhero pose and transform themselves
. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Also surprised at how similar it is to Persona, but with everything I hate about Persona removed (yeah, I might get some heat for this one). But seriously, non-randomized dungeons, not locking you to a clock, gaining abilities from battle experience, all rolled into a Persona-esque package. Please Nintendo, more game like this!

Not really at all. You're right because that portion of that series, as entertaining as it can be, is a huge wall/time buffer and roadblock. Streamlining it works well for this game because there isn't day to day time mechanics that you need to stick to to get a certain character upgrade. Social Link system is nice, but it is really bloated at times.

It's a lot more streamlined because you're not mandated to a time sensitive and route sensitive social link if you want to get through most of the game's extra quests and scenarios. There's less garbage time and the actual designed dungeons are preferred over randomized ones.

UltraJay

I switched to Hard from Normal while in the first dungeon, hope that doesn't cost me a "Beat on Hard" play record. I like getting those as proof that I beat the game. I actually don't know if there is a play record for a difficulty slider other than Lunatic.

Shun

I switched to Hard from Normal while in the first dungeon, hope that doesn't cost me a "Beat on Hard" play record. I like getting those as proof that I beat the game. I actually don't know if there is a play record for a difficulty slider other than Lunatic.

Nah you're good. All the trophies are inside the Fortuna office and you can get most of them on your run. It's just Lunatic that requires it.

knkng

Not really at all. You're right because that portion of that series, as entertaining as it can be, is a huge wall/time buffer and roadblock. Streamlining it works well for this game because there isn't day to day time mechanics that you need to stick to to get a certain character upgrade. Social Link system is nice, but it is really bloated at times.

It's a lot more streamlined because you're not mandated to a time sensitive and route sensitive social link if you want to get through most of the game's extra quests and scenarios. There's less garbage time and the actual designed dungeons are preferred over randomized ones.

Well, my experience with Shin Megami Tensei is limited to SMT4, Soul Hackers, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 1 & 2, and Persona 3 & 4. Aesthetically (hoo boy those colors!), and in terms of general mechanics (the way you move around, interact, as well as dungeon navigation), it definitely is taking cues from Persona above all else. Not to mention the Mirages basically subbing as Personas. This is what stands out to me personally when playing the game. Maybe you see it differently, which is understandable.

But really, I don't even hate Persona or anything, there are many aspects of it that I love, and I totally understand why the mechanics of the game are the way they are. That particular design just doesn't really gel with me. I like to be able to "complete" things. (And yeah, Devil Survivor is also on a clock system, but mechanically it's non-intrusive). As you say, Persona can be bloated and hits you with constant roadblocks.

All in all, this game feels very refreshing to me.

Do remember that Atlus are the ones who primarily made this game.

True. I guess I just figured that Nintendo have the final say. But yeah, Atlus definitely deserves the credit for this game.

Dammit our local shop here says shipment will be next week. Gotta wait some more.

So how's the difficulty so far?

Six hours in, playing on normal. I think it's pretty well balanced so far. You have to keep an eye out for enemy weaknesses or you can be completely wrecked.

Rainy

Banned
I just saw that UPS (and not USPS) are the company in charge of my Amazon delivery tomorrow, thank god, will probably get it earlier in the day then.

Nintendo aren't really the people behind all the JRPGs and making the decisions to put them on console v. handheld.

However, I completely get the point you are trying to make. People forget, and I know we live in a different world, that back in the day JRPGs used to be the games pushing technology. The NES->PS2 JRPGs were really revolutionary in terms of graphics, art, and sound.

It was sad to see JRPGs largely turn into budget handheld titles but this generation seems to be the revival of the console JRPG.

random25

Six hours in, playing on normal. I think it's pretty well balanced so far. You have to keep an eye out for enemy weaknesses or you can be completely wrecked.

Nice. I usually set the difficulty to the highest possible difficulty in SMT games when possible, but I might tone it down a bit since I'm a bit busier now with life lol, and just want to be more relaxed without making it too cheesy.

MLH

The encounter system seems like it's taken the feel of FE encounters, where each encounter could end you if not careful; taking enemies out in one turn. It could have just been a generic JRPG encounter system so it's a really cool and thoughtful addition.

The encounter system seems like it's taken the feel of FE encounters, where each encounter could end you if not careful; taking enemies out in one turn. It could have just been a generic JRPG encounter system so it's a really cool and thoughtful addition.

What difficulty are you playing at?

Hopefully this will be digitally mine tomorrow 👓

Pouh

I've heard that european Fortissimo Edition is VERY limited... In France, only 800 (eight hundred) of it have been dispatched... Even standard edition was a pain to get : Micromania stores couldn't place a reservation for me 3 weeks ago (out of stock and they couldn't order more), they told me to order directly on their website. Hopefully, it worked out but damn, I wish I could have the Fortissimo Edition. :(

artsi

Wow the game is cool, I think this will satisfy my Persona / JRPG itch until September.

I just don't get how they went with so bland subtitle / UI font, the one in main menu would've been nicer (same they used with P4 I think) :p

knkng

Anyway to play this with a pair of headset ? No sound is coming of my gamepad.

Unfortunately not. You will have to get an audio extension cord to connect your headphones to your TV or receiver. It's definitely the biggest negative point about the game, and there's no reason for it to be that way.

Just talked to amn Amazon rep
It turns out my order hasn't shipped since the fulfilment center is located 6 hours from where I live...

They will send it today. Will arrive before 8

Jolkien

Unfortunately not. You will have to get an audio extension cord to connect your headphones to your TV or receiver. It's definitely the biggest negative point about the game, and there's no reason for it to be that way.

Ugh this is so disappointing. Wonder why they didn't make a setting for it in the game or something. Huge oversight.

ranmafan

True. I guess I just figured that Nintendo have the final say. But yeah, Atlus definitely deserves the credit for this game.

One thing I hope for, other than the chance for the stars to align properly and by some sort of miracle we get a sequel to the game one day which is one of my greatest gaming wishes, I do hope we can see more collaborations between Atlus and Nintendo. I would love to see them tackle The Fire Emblem world in a different way as well or even try their hands on another franchise. Would be awesome.

Bought the SE without owning a Wii U sigh* gotta wait till August, when my friend comes back in town and let me borrow his Wii U, before I can play the game.
In a similar boat without any immediate means to play few Wii U titles that I've collected over the past few years. I've been hoping for backwards compatibility with the NX, but I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo skimped out on the feature right when I wanted it. Guess it'll have to keep my Xenoblade SE and Bayonetta 2 bundle company in the dust collecting market until I can find a system ridiculously cheap.

jwillenn

i ended up keeping my pre-order even though the terrible music (in my opinion, i know there are a lot of people who like it) almost scared me away. jus dont give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

and although the music isn't my style i can almost guarantee it will be better than xenoblade! guaranteed!

That's probably the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger right now. Is this game's soundtrack dominated by "that" J-Pop? lol

Plus I've got way too many games to finish and/or master.

Top Bottom