• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

-shrug-

Apparently Amazon does not email you eshop codes, they mail the physical cards. Looks like I ain't getting this anytime soon... Blah, but I guess it gives me time to beat Xenoblade :/

cand

Played for 2 hours and I'm loving it. The only bad thing is no subtitles on battles. It would be nice if they patch it later but if this game sells badly they probably won't. Buy it guys, looks like a good JRPG.

Sorry if someone considers this a spoiler (I'll remove it) but I saw this screenshot on Reddit and it's amazing.

fLmsGfQ.jpg

There are several people I would sell this game too by leading with this.

Mendrox

Question: I lost interest in this game...not interested in the who idol thing tbh,

BUT I wouldn't be completely opposed to trying it. For megaten veterans, how would this compare to my favorites: devil survivor, nocturne and strange journey?

As it was said about a 100 times in this thread. This game is not about idols but rather about the whole entertainment business. It's not as bad or cringy as it seems like in the trailers. The game is really fucking good and a strong JRPG. Get it.

It's Megami Tensei with colours and Fire Emblem. Everything cringworthy in sexual regards has been toned down a lot for the western release so it's even easier for people that hate sexualized characters.

jobrro

So not really happy with some of the censorship stuff... don't care about ages but some of the visual changes to outfits look pretty forced and some of the DLC seems to be cut which sucks.

Bought the thing anyway just now, downloading as I type. Now just to find the time to play it... I should probably try to finish Trails of Cold Steel first before starting this one...

Mupod

so based on that image does the game have a texting thing like Catherine? I know surprisingly little about this game, too bad there's no way I'll be able to avoid info on Persona 5 like this.

So #FE Special Edition has come back in stock for Best Buy meaning you can use GCU.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-special-edition-nintendo-wii-u/5280030.p?id=bb5280030&skuId=5280030&ref=199&loc=FKSJxY2VJAk&acampID=1&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-V46nuz2WYhBkb66OITPAig

so based on that image does the game have a texting thing like Catherine? I know surprisingly little about this game, too bad there's no way I'll be able to avoid info on Persona 5 like this.

Yes. The Wii Game Pad kind of acts like a phone and you'll receive messages from other characters. There's a bit more to it but someone else could explain it better.

Mendrox

Yes. The Wii U gamepad is literally your smartphone which is quiet cool. You can also give different answers afair

Shun

Question: I lost interest in this game...not interested in the who idol thing tbh,

BUT I wouldn't be completely opposed to trying it. For megaten veterans, how would this compare to my favorites: devil survivor, nocturne and strange journey?

It's not the hardest MegaTen game but it is a satisfying and challenging game in of itself.

I think you'll particularly enjoy the battle system since it's a nice take on the Press Turn system of past games.

Hugstable

Banned
FInished the prologue last night, loving this game! Can't wait to see the battle system once I have alot more elemental skills and multiple session skills. Hard difficulty hasn't been too hard, atleast in the prologue, though enemies can wreck you quick if you aren't careful and targeting their weaknesses.

Really liking the characters so far too, even though haven't had much time with them. Touma is cool and liking Tsubasa much more than I thought I would. Kiria fangirl Tsubasa is hilarious

Sorry if someone considers this a spoiler (I'll remove it) but I saw this screenshot on Reddit and it's amazing.

fLmsGfQ.jpg

I love the text convos they did so far, they even have sticker emojis!

fLmsGfQ.jpg

That brings me back, I've had to break that information to people back in college and I was met with the same reaction.

Zomba13

Just finished the prologue and I'm enjoying it. I'm liking the battle system and love the look and style of everything. Biggest complaint so far is that because there is no English dub and some stuff during battles isn't subtitled you have characters talking and saying stuff that I miss out on, and I don't know if it's like a hint or just useless fluff.

With the censorship stuff I find it weird because Tsubasa's battle costume with Caeda doesn't seem altered at all and is more "revealing" than some of the costumes that were censored (like that wedding dress). So just going off this and knowing some costumes were changed it already feels inconsistent. Like fair enough, you want to cover up some of the female characters and age them up, sure, whatever, but when you seemingly half arse it then it just becomes weird and arbitrary. Wedding dresses showing Shoulder = bad, combat dress showing a good amount of cleavage = good.

Hasn't been 30 minutes and I'm already playing the game. Also trying really hard to understand what everyone is saying in battles.

nikos

Local Best Buy is having trouble locating my SE, so I had one held at GameStop. Hopefully it's still there when I get there in about an hour and a half. No GCU, but whatever.

EDIT: Now my order is ready to be picked up at Best Buy.

Dee Dee

Got my special edition, am drooling over the stickerssss (why only 4, come on!!!).

Can my office please get another bomb threat so we leave early please?
(sorry, bad taste joke, but it's too hot to think...)

Local Best Buy is having trouble locating my SE, so I had one held at GameStop. Hopefully it's still there when I get there in about an hour and a half. No GCU, but whatever.

$16 is a good chunk of change though. You also pay less tax as well.

I would totally wait for that much money. They could probably even offer you a $5 gift card for the trouble.

nikos

$16 is a good chunk of change though. You also pay less tax as well.

I would totally wait for that much money. They could probably even offer you a $5 gift card for the trouble.

Looks like my Best Buy order is ready to be picked up now. May just head over there instead.

KLoWn

So i just started my first fight and my characters are talking about something but there's no subtitles, is this how it's going to be during the entire game? And am I going to miss any important dialogue?

Hobbun

If this has been asked already, I apologize, but I didn’t see this mentioned in the OT. However, do you need to play FE: Awakening first before digging into this game? I don’t plan on playing Shadow Dragon, but I do plan on playing Awakening. Would it be better for me to wait to play this game before I do?

N° 2048

If this has been asked already, I apologize, but I didn’t see this mentioned in the OT. However, do you need to play FE: Awakening first before digging into this game? I don’t plan on playing Shadow Dragon, but I do plan on playing Awakening. Would it be better for me to wait to play this game before I do?

I'm going in only ever playing Persona 3/4.
Never played FE or other SMT games.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Sigh, my CE won't be here 'til Monday. Still, I guess I'm glad I was able to grab one at all

Reszo

So do they always have to repeat the same phrase when switching between targets? I find it kind of silly lol

cand

No. The game is its own thing. You don't need to know anything about either Fire Emblem or SMT series, but if you played some games from the series you will find nice references in it. It plays a lot like the Persona series with its own twists on the formula.

Shun

So i just started my first fight and my characters are talking about something but there's no subtitles, is this how it's going to be during the entire game? And am I going to miss any important dialogue?

No a lot of it is scripted battle dialogue, not plot heavy or important. Just side banter.

DVCY201

Aww yea! Out for Delivery! Hopefully they'll dead-drop it, I'm not home until 5 and then I volunteer until 8. Can't wait to dive in

Hobbun

No. The game is its own thing. You don't need to know anything about either Fire Emblem or SMT series, but if you played some games from the series you will find nice references in it. It plays a lot like the Persona series with its own twists on the formula.

Ok, thanks.

And I assume it doesn't spoil anything for Awakening, as well.

I'm excited to play this weekend! Just got my SE at work and the corner is a little scuffed :(

No biggie though. The box is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Sölf

So, beat the prologue and reached Tiki. That moment, when you exchange your Falchion for an Iron Sword. Feels wrong, man. But I really like the game so far. I only paused because my gamepad needed to charge. Will be back in a few hours. xD

So do they always have to repeat the same phrase when switching between targets? I find it kind of silly lol

My girlfriend was translating this and said they were basically saying, "i can help here/ i cant help here", theres also a visual indicator. The big box's with faces change if sessions are possible.

FluxWaveZ

It's a helpful audio cue regarding elemental strengths and weaknesses... if one understood Japanese.

My girlfriend was translating this and said they were basically saying, "i can help here/ i cant help here", theres also a visual indicator. The big box's with faces change if sessions are possible.

There's also the fact that the respective characters are waving to you in the background if they're available for a follow-up.

Feeroper

Im interested in picking this up but Im kinda confused on the premise.

I see a lot of reference to the idol thing and entertainment industry, but there is also combat?

I generally like JRPG's, have enjoyed the Persona series before and love the FE series as well. However it seems that this is a JRPG that deals with the entertainment industry? Is it also partially a rhythm game with dancing?

What does the combat consist of? What is the basic storyline? Is this okay for a fan of JRPG's in general or is it for an even more niche crowd?

Top Bottom