• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Feeroper

I was kinda on the same boat as you. The setting was almost too "anime" for me and I'm really not into Jpop/idol stuff. xD BUT I saw some battle footage in the treehouse stream last year and thought I can get past this setting if the gameplay is great. And guess what? The game is amazing. Even the setting is growing on me. I like it now.

Maybe Ill have to give this a shot. I'm worried if I don't grab it now it will be difficult to find later on and command a higher price due to limited availability.

I also have Star Ocean 5 next week so it will be a very JRPG summer.

Sölf

lol, this game can be pretty funny sometimes:

YdICL1j.jpg

Yeah, those dialogues and all the chats are god tier.

Razmos

Well, after being super hyped all day and being disappointed that it hadnt arrived, I was still hopeful because Amazon said it was out for delivery. But now I just got an email way late in the day saying that it won't arrive for another 1-2 days.

Goddamn it Amazon.

Hobbun

Watching videos the gameplay looks great and a lot of fun, but I will admit hearing them speaking in Japanese is quite distracting. It makes it hard to become enveloped into the conversation.

Now this is just what I am experiencing via trailers I've watched, so maybe it will be different playing the actual game. But already I am wishing there was an option to just turn off the voices.

Zomba13

Watching videos the gameplay looks great and a lot of fun, but I will admit hearing them speaking in Japanese is quite distracting. It makes it hard to become enveloped into the conversation.

Now this is just what I am experiencing via trailers I've watched, so maybe it will be different playing the actual game. But already I am wishing there was an option to just turn off the voices.

There is a Voice volume option in the sound menu. I guess turning that all the way down would turn the voices off?

Hobbun

There is a Voice volume option in the sound menu. I guess turning that all the way down would turn the voices off?

I will first try to play the game with the voice volume up, see if my experience actually playing (than just watching videos) is different.

But if I still find it distracting, then I will try turning the voice volume down. Thanks.

The gameplay is so addicting and it's too bad I can't take over the tv all the time to play this. I also really like the dungeons so far (I'm on the second one) - they seem well-designed but not too confusing. I thought the game would be much easier but these enemies can do a good amount of damage and can also do session attacks, which surprised me.

Other than Itsuki (too boring), I also really like the characters. I'm not a huge fan of stereotypical anime personalities but I'm fond of everyone, especially Kiria and Tsubasa. I feel bad that I'm often not replying to them on Topic lol

Hobbun

The gameplay is so addicting and it's too bad I can't take over the tv all the time to play this. I also really like the dungeons so far (I'm on the second one) - they seem well-designed but not too confusing. I thought the game would be much easier but these enemies can do a good amount of damage and can also do session attacks, which surprised me.

Other than Itsuki (too boring), I also really like the characters. I'm not a huge fan of stereotypical anime personalities but I'm fond of everyone, especially Kiria and Tsubasa. I feel bad that I'm often not replying to them on Topic lol

Is Itsuki your typical Atlus silent protagonist? I have never been a fan of the silent protagonists as there is no way to develop their characters (since you are always silent).

And what difficulty are you playing on?

Shun

Is Itsuki your typical Atlus silent protagonist? I have never been a fan of the silent protagonists as there is no way to develop their characters (since you are always silent).

And what difficulty are you playing on?

Itsuki is not a silent protagonist, but he was purposely designed that way, only having some modeling experience and being a foil to the rest of the cast's personalities.

Fucking hell Shun. This thread title.

tumblr_mkyg6bYRwR1qdewlro2_r1_500.gif

Hm. Regarding NoA content edits, IIRC
AVERSA
was the boss with the smoke cleavages in the trailer footage yes? Doesn't seem to be there in the actual game

Edit: LOL, nevermind. It's there.

Velcro Fly

just 3 DLC codes with the special edition? my copy from best buy had one of the stickers that seal it was cut and i just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Draxal

The lack of subs for combat dialogue is a huge huge huge bummer.

Itsuki is not a silent protagonist, but he was purposely designed that way, only having some modeling experience and being a foil to the rest of the cast's personalities.

I liked how he was "who cares about idols".

Tranquilo

Banned
The lack of subs for combat dialogue is a huge huge huge bummer.

I liked how he was "who cares about idols".

Could they patch this in if enough people ask for it? I'm assuming it's a fairly small amount of dialogue, comparatively. Shouldn't take too much work? I'm talking out of my ass, though, I don't know how that'd work.

Hobbun

Could they patch this in if enough people ask for it? I'm assuming it's a fairly small amount of dialogue, comparatively. Shouldn't take too much work? I'm talking out of my ass, though, I don't know how that'd work.

It would still be expensive hiring the voice actors, even if only doing voice overs for the battles.

It would have been nice if they did VO for the whole game, though. But it probably would have added quite a bit of money and time to do so and were most likely concerned it would not sell enough copies to justify the extra cost.

Tranquilo

Banned
It would still be expensive hiring the voice actors, even if only doing voice overs for the battles.

It would have been nice if they did VO for the whole game, though. But it probably would have added quite a bit of money and time to do so.

Nah, I just mean subtitles for the battle sequences. From what I'm hearing there are none, so you not only listen to the Japanese (which is fine), but have to muddle through without knowing / enjoying whatever it is they're saying to each other. Is this accurate?

Shun

Amazon shipping my game next week -_- btw Shun, is there some kind of romance? I'm a sucker for those heh.

No I'm pretty sure Itsuki would get death threats and be harassed if he was able to romance any of the attractive male and female characters in the game.

You can't romance a character, some might show hints of interest but you don't outright attempt to romance any character.

Some "romance" scenes are part of their casting and jobs as an entertainer, like for a drama or movie scene.

HeeHo

Went on my lunch break to pick this up! I can't quite explain but this game feels rare just holding it! Anyway, first mainline console Atlus game in sometime! Hyped.

Well, after being super hyped all day and being disappointed that it hadnt arrived, I was still hopeful because Amazon said it was out for delivery. But now I just got an email way late in the day saying that it won't arrive for another 1-2 days.

Goddamn it Amazon.

My pre-orders have shipped late 4 times this year from Amazon. Prior to this year, I didn't have any issues with them. Pre-ordered months in advance and the first time I contacted customer support about it, they just tell me that my pre-order was not placed during release date delivery guarantee period, even though my open order status indicated that I'd receive the games on release day, only to change either the day of release or the day before release. Some of them now actually do indicate an estimated delivery date that's 2-3 days later than release, though, so it seems like Amazon just doesn't have the capacity to keep up with all of their pre-order shipments at this point.

It only really upset me with Dark Souls III Collector's Edition, as my hype for that game was extremely high. The others didn't bug me so much (20% discount speaks volumes to me), but it is odd that one of the most assumed benefits of pre-ordering -- day 1 access to the game -- doesn't seem guaranteed to me at this point if I order through Amazon.

Kyrios

My pre-orders have shipped late 4 times this year from Amazon. Prior to this year, I didn't have any issues with them. Pre-ordered months in advance and the first time I contacted customer support about it, they just tell me that my pre-order was not placed during release date delivery guarantee period, even though my open order status indicated that I'd receive the games on release day, only to change either the day of release or the day before release. Some of them now actually do indicate an estimated delivery date that's 2-3 days later than release, though, so it seems like Amazon just doesn't have the capacity to keep up with all of their pre-order shipments at this point.

Oh thank god it's not just me noticing this from Amazon. Same as you I never had a single problem last year or the years before. Now this year I had to contact customer service four times since April.

Jolkien

Just finished Chapter 1, wasn't very long. I liked the second dungeon with the light puzzle element. The chapter boss was a tad too easy, didn't even had to heal once against her. The savage encounter of whatever they are called are nasty. They can combo someone down really fast.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Awesome, LE arrived, & it's smaller than I was excepting, especially after the Xenoblade X one.

Costumes total abput 31MB yet the 3 missions were maybe around 500KB.

Velcro Fly

Ok I'm like 20 minutes in and this game has hooked me.

I am instantly interested in these characters and this world.

I was not expecting this at all

Ok, is there a guide to carnage and performance locations? I'm already on weapon 3 for itsuki and yet you a is stuck on his first.

Is the material I need from the first dunegon? What's the point of location hints if they don't fill out until after you find them, wtf

Jolkien

Ok, is there a guide to carnage and performance locations? I'm already on weapon 3 for itsuki and yet you a is stuck on his first.

Is the material I need from the first dunegon? What's the point of location hints if they don't fill out until after you find them, wtf

Keep playing. The material you need is in the second dungeon. Touma is the last of of the initial three character to get a weapon upgrade. Now at the end of the first chapter they all have two to master because I'm crafting them too fast. And you can check in the bestiary for every monster drop of all the monster you've killed, you can easily see if the material you need are in those ennemies or not.

jariw

Done with the Prologue, and starting Chapter 1. How many chapters are there, and how long is an average chapter in the game? Can't find any info about that in the OT.

Jolkien

Done with the Prologue, and starting Chapter 1. How many chapters are there, and how long is an average chapter in the game? Can't find any info about that in the OT.

I didn't time myself but completing chapter 1 took me about 2 hours and a half I'd say ? Could've been faster the puzzle in the second dungeon took me a second to get around. Nothing too complicated but I could've been done much faster. Went out of the dungeon a few time to craft upgrades.

Mediking

Hope Itsuki starts picking up in the character development soon. Just started the game and he reminds me of Yosuke from Persona 4 already. What's funny... is that he's brunette and happy in anime scenes yet he has blue hair in the game....

Top Bottom