• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

i've said it earlier, but the only important thing that you can really miss out in 1 playthrough is
1 duo arts if you picked a lot of negative answers for certain questions during storyline/tsubasa side story. even that actually you really need to pick a lot of them

Hobbun

Sounds like you don't want games to have secrets anymore.

That doesn't sound like something to srtife for in game development. ¯\ (º_o) /¯

You'll need multiple playthroughs anyway to 100% the game anyway so just look up stuff after the first completing if that's what you're going for.

No, that's not true. I enjoy and appreciate finding secrets, I just hate the 'missables', where you get past a certain point and you can no longer access it.

Please, give us a plethora of secrets, but still keep the option always open in finding them.

And I don't care about missing small items, but if it's things to raise your character permanently (like master seals) or it's a powerful/fun item, I get annoyed at that.

Ulysses 31

Well, how about not making things permanently missable then? It really does blow when you're trying to do a blind playthrough and you miss a bunch of stuff that almost no one would've figured out on their own. I'm looking at you, Dark Souls.

I think that's up to the game developers and they don't have an obligation to make sure you find every cool thing in the game on your first playthrough.

Hobbun

The game doesn't have a set time limit other than beat the game and forget about it. It's not like Persona where you need to do x quest or mission by x time, or Shin Megami Tensei where you need x thing to get x ending.

You won't be missing anything really key or major so long as you go through the game's story, look for treasure chests, and do side stories.

Those are how you get most of the master seals, you need to be getting materials for more carnage unities, which you can get by beating enemies.

You can't really miss the master seals unless you choose not to get treasure chests or take quests. You're guaranteed some via story bosses.

If you want to know something specific I can answer it, but you don't have to sweat it that much in this game in particular.

Ok, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

Sadist

So after the first hour or so... I'm digging it so far!

Love the fact that the level up jingle from FE is in hehe. Cool battlesystem.

-shadow-

Finished the first dungeon in just over an hour. Loving it so far. The music, the style, the atmosphere, the music, the characters, the battle system and of course the music. Can't wait to sink some serious hours into the game!

Edit: game look great also!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_019ksk1.jpg

imae

I'm going to stay away from this thread for now, as I want to play this without any seeing tips or minor spoilers, will be back to read up once I've finished it. The game is awesome so far, full of charm and feels very complete.

I'm playing on hard and almost died in the Chapter 1 dungeon, those savages!. I want the game to last so going to try and not crack and keep it on hard, fun :D.

Conan-san

I'm a few hours in, and it's kinda bumming me out... But the clips seem to be repeated often enough that it isn't a deal breaker.

Gosh this game is a delight. So vibrant and fun.

They didn't bother to translate the bosses death quotes. I'm sorry but if they went out of their way to "Tidy up" the art they could at least be doing something functional as well.

Omnicent

played about an hour before I had to do some yard work. Been a long time since I have played a fun rpg that's pretty colorful.
Also about level ups so far i noticed you get 3 stats per level (only lv.3 so far). Itsuki got 3 def 1 level up and then str,spd, and ,mag on a different one.
Need to check more stat ups on level up to make sure though.

Just cleared the first dungeon of this game, absolutely love it, the characters, the music and of course the gameplay. Feels a bit like Digital devil saga as well with the different weapons unlocking skills being similar to filling the atma points on DDS.

Also the artstyle colourful palette and the menus are the damn best.

what the fuck is this

That's NOT how body proportions work!

The shadows are what really bug me here. I don't really see anything wrong with the proportions (except maybe the kid?), but the shadows are way too small, especially for where the light source is coming from. Doesn't look normal at all.

mrmickfran

The shadows are what really bug me here. I don't really see anything wrong with the proportions (except maybe the kid?), but the shadows are way too small, especially for where the light source is coming from. Doesn't look normal at all.

Yeah, I was talking about the kid. It looked like they took a regular model and cropped it.

Scrawnton

Four hours into the game and I'm loving it. I think Atlus and Nintendo messed up by not revealing this game as "Persona X Fire Emblem" because I think that would've done way more to build up excitement for this game. Persona has a weird following in the states that I don't think main SMT has.

I love the game though. It really feels like the next big Persona game I wanted after Persona 4.

played about an hour before I had to do some yard work. Been a long time since I have played a fun rpg that's pretty colorful.
Also about level ups so far i noticed you get 3 stats per level (only lv.3 so far). Itsuki got 3 def 1 level up and then str,spd, and ,mag on a different one.
Need to check more stat ups on level up to make sure though.

you'll get more stats later on, and it's not strictly 3 per level even at low level
https://twitter.com/kurocchi0509/status/685517012655861760
also stats level is rng

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, I thought they were saying "WE CAN FLY & SHINE" when it's actually "REINCARNATION"

Leave it to songs from Atlus RPGs to have misheard lyrics.

i've said it earlier, but the only important thing that you can really miss out in 1 playthrough is
1 duo arts if you picked a lot of negative answers for certain questions during storyline/tsubasa side story. even that actually you really need to pick a lot of them
I was having fun being a jerk to everybody, but if I'm going to miss out on something because of it, I guess I'll start being a nice guy.

Would you guys recommend this game over Xenoblade X?

Things to consider:
- I love Persona 3/4 and thought SMT4 was fine enough.
- Don't really have any affinity for Fire Emblem, as I'm not a huge SRPG fan.
- Played some of Xenoblade Chronicles and thought it was fun, but lost interest 10 hours on.
- A strong narrative is important to me.
- I don't care about JPOP /idols.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
yo, wut.

"HEY, YOU WERE SUPER DEPRESSED? WHY NOT TELL US WHY SO YOU CAN RECALL THOSE AWFUL MEMORIES?"

Worst host ev....oh....OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Edit: omg they're actually using the term "Performa", I thought that was just a joke the internet used to describe this game.

Jolkien

Things to consider:
- Played some of Xenoblade Chronicles and thought it was fun, but lost interest 10 hours on.

There's almost no narrative pulls at all in XCX. I never really played Fire Emblem besides Awakening and ended up not liking it and I'm fine with the game. It's biggest influence is Persona by far. You'd be better playing the original Xenoblade Chronicles as it's a better than both game but in your case I'd go with TMS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
AW YEAH, NOW TO USE MY ATLUS COST.....

"cannot change costumes yet"

damn it.....

Also, yeah, starting to feel disappointed the battle dialogue wasn't translated, turns out they talk a lot.

Thud

First hour has been fun. Gotta love Tsubasa's 'oh sparkly' reaction.

Playing on hard. Bit better balanced than the early game in SMTIV and Persona 3. EP/SP also doesn't drain as fast as in Persona 4. I'm sure it will get tougher later on.

They also don't delay the inevitable and deliver the story straight away. So it picks up pretty fast.

mrmickfran

How is this game so colorful and stylish?

Are we sure this was made by the same company who brought Persona 3 and Nocturne into the world?

Like goddamn, Persona 5 is getting a run for its money.

Rizzi

So.. Is the dialogue in combat actually important? 'cause it's super lazy that they didn't bother subtitling that.

Vena

Got my copy, and the lab work is done! Whatever this moving, congealed black matter is can wait until Monday!
I just hope it doesn't eat a janitor.

Renewed

Got home and Purolator delivered. At Ch1 Hard now and are load times gonna get worse? They've actually been good (5 sec area for pre-battle) so I'm hoping it won't suddenly take a dive for some reason.

AW YEAH, NOW TO USE MY ATLUS COST.....

"cannot change costumes yet"

damn it.....

Also, yeah, starting to feel disappointed the battle dialogue wasn't translated, turns out they talk a lot.

Just learn Japanese lol /s

It's definitely a lousy oversight but eh.

B00TE

Been watching my friend and brother play through on their own copies, love all the little references to the two series. Lots of love put into this game.

Jolkien

So can someone answer me in spoilertag why Chrom looks this way ? Only time I played Fire Emblem was Awakening and I did not play to completion, he wasn't looking anything like how he does in this game.

Thud

How is this game so colorful and stylish?

Are we sure this was made by the same company who brought Persona 3 and Nocturne into the world?

Like goddamn, Persona 5 is getting a run for its money.

Persona 5 is leagues ahead in animation. TMS is way too stiff.

Both are pretty tho.

There's almost no narrative pulls at all in XCX. I never really played Fire Emblem besides Awakening and ended up not liking it and I'm fine with the game. It's biggest influence is Persona by far. You'd be better playing the original Xenoblade Chronicles as it's a better than both game but in your case I'd go with TMS.

Thanks for the input. I sold my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, but have actually been considering getting it on the Wii U VC to play it on the gamepad. I think the ability to play it while watching TV may motivate me to play it more.

Might bite on TMS though. I have a feeling this game may disappear and be hard to find.

Mazre

Enjoying it so far just got to fusions, wish there was an option for something other than blazing white for the default gamepad screen.

Things to consider:

Fire Emblem influence is minimal. Some of the Persona-esque spirits are heavily redesigned versions of Fire Emblem characters and there's some stat screen styling and sound effects carried over and that's about it.

Gameplay feels pretty Persona/MegaTen. Pretty straight-forward dungeon visuals with unique environmental style puzzles depending on which one you're in, and they're all themed differently. Combat is turn-based with a heavy emphasis on exploiting elemental weaknesses, and the Session attack combo system is ridiculously satisfying IMO (exploiting certain types of weaknesses can prompt other characters to continue an attack chain).

I haven't played far enough to weigh in on the story, but it seems unanimous in the reviews that it's nothing special but nothing outright awful, either.

If by you "don't care" about JPOP/idols, you mean that you have little exposure to it but don't hate it, then it doesn't get in the way. I'm in that boat of "don't care," and it's inoffensive to me in #FE. If by "don't care," you think it's stupid and pandering, then I'd say it's likely going to be an issue -- this game seems to embrace aspects of that culture pretty openly and unabashedly.

Jolkien

Thanks for the input. I sold my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, but have actually been considering getting it on the Wii U VC to play it on the gamepad. I think the ability to play it while watching TV may motivate me to play it more.

Might bite on TMS though. I have a feeling this game may disappear and be hard to find.

I was indeed watching TV shows on the side while doing sidequest. The important part playing Xenoblade Chronicles is only do the sidequest in an area until you are tired of them. They are not original at all and can make you quite overpowered. When you are sick of a place, move on. I've beaten the game and was overleveled for most of it. I'd say I did about 50-60% of the sidequest.

Last piece of advice if you think about playing the game play controlling Melia or Riki once in a while, there's a HUGE difficulty spike near the end and playing one of those character will severely reduce the headache you will get.

Top Bottom