• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Hugstable

Banned
I was going through the prologue and at each level I only gained a point in two or three stats - typical for my Fire Emblem experiences - and then Tsubasa got an amazing level:

Bywdqqv.jpg

I've only just finished the prologue but I am really enjoying the game so far. Definitely going to lose some sleep playing this.

Tsubasa seems to be getting RNG blessed for everyone!

Ronin Ray

Has anyone attempted to livestream this game using an Elgato Game Capture HD? For some reason, even though game audio was coming through loud and clear in the preview window of Elgato's software, I got zero audio in the stream. I tried on Twitch and YouTube. No audio. Couldn't figure it out... I'd love to stream some gameplay but I ended up just recording. It'll take forever to render and forever to upload... -_-

I streamed over 6 hours today with an elgato HD with no issues

UltraJay

Knowing a little bit of Japanese is helping me a bit. Stuff like Tsubasa saying she's scared with Caeda saying not to worry. They also say if an enemy is weak when you target them. I especially like Tsubasa's "Junbi de ii yo!" when she is able to do a session attack.

All this is making me want to get better at Japanese so I can understand everything and play games completely in Japanese.

Socivol

Just played a bit of this. I love the style it's like playing an anime! I am pretty annoyed at no dub still and the fact they didn't even bother to subtitle the battle quotes is super annoying to me.

Cherry

Banned
I was going through the prologue and at each level I only gained a point in two or three stats - typical for my Fire Emblem experiences - and then Tsubasa got an amazing level:

Bywdqqv.jpg

I've only just finished the prologue but I am really enjoying the game so far. Definitely going to lose some sleep playing this.

This level up screen has to be the best I've seen in any game, the art for the the characters and the perfect font. This game is really good so far, well beyond my expectations. Who needs Persona 5 this year anyway?!

Velcro Fly

Finally getting to the point where I can craft weapons for people again.

I had a battle where I got the exact two items I needed to craft two different weapons.

Feels good to be able to have those little bars go up after the battle again.

Jiraiza

Has anyone attempted to livestream this game using an Elgato Game Capture HD? For some reason, even though game audio was coming through loud and clear in the preview window of Elgato's software, I got zero audio in the stream. I tried on Twitch and YouTube. No audio. Couldn't figure it out... I'd love to stream some gameplay but I ended up just recording. It'll take forever to render and forever to upload... -_-

You could always try Open Broadcast Software.

MoonGred

I'm really on the fence with this game. It would be my first SMT game and have limited experience with FE.
What is really drawing me in is the persona like setting, is there a similar engaging story line or is it more of a dungeon crawler?

I need something to scratch my persona itch after the e3 gameplay video.

aett

This level up screen has to be the best I've seen in any game, the art for the the characters and the perfect font. This game is really good so far, well beyond my expectations. Who needs Persona 5 this year anyway?!

I also love the menu screens, especially the main menu with all the characters. It's not quite as stylized as P5 seems to be, but it's far beyond most other RPGs.

Jolkien

I almost wish I had no friends coming over tomorrow so I could play this instead. Finished everything I could in the first intermission I'll be ready to start the second chapter when I get back to it.

I only planned on playing this for about an hour when I got home before jumping back into Overwatch and then I looked up and it was 11PM. 5 hours of straight play without even realizing it and only stopped because my gamepad battery started to die. I can't give a game a better recommendation than that.

I also have to say that I didn't expect getting texts on the GP to be this fun. Every time I get a notification it puts a smile on my face.

Anyone know if there are achievements based on difficulty? Or any kind of bonus for difficulty? I'll stick hard out if so but it's a bit grindy and I probably wouldn't mind being on normal if there's no point to being on hard. 1HKOs everywhere.

Only had time for around two and a half hours but this game is great so far. Combat system is a fun little take on the usual press-turn system. I'm sure I'll spend a long time trying to figure out how to best chain combos....

Frimaire

Fuuuck, I'm starting to get worried now...
Amazon still tells me I'm supposed to be getting this today, but it's already like 8:30 pm here.
There's no way they're gonna deliver it this late, yeah?
I hope I don't have to wait until Monday...

Anbec7

So reading all the good impressions over the Internet and GAF I decided to buy this.
Now.. the waiting game begins, c'mon Amazon!

Jolkien

Fuuuck, I'm starting to get worried now...
Amazon still tells me I'm supposed to be getting this today, but it's already like 8:30 pm here.
There's no way they're gonna deliver it this late, yeah?
I hope I don't have to wait until Monday...

Depend who is the carrier. UPS for example in some part of Canada deliver until 21:00. But yeah that late, I wouldn't count on it. What does the tracker of the carrier says ? Still out for delivery ?

Velcro Fly

Amazon likes to use USPS and they have been known in theory to have Sunday delivery. Basically they just put a card in your mailbox saying we're too fucking incompetent to actually deliver on Sunday so come to the post office and pick your package up. Obviously the mail runs on Saturday so you might get it tomorrow.

Jolkien

I wish the mail ran during the weekends here as well :( Got it digital since it came out during Quebec national holiday and pretty much everything was closed today.

Frimaire

Depend who is the carrier. UPS for example in some part of Canada deliver until 21:00. But yeah that late, I wouldn't count on it. What does the tracker of the carrier says ? Still out for delivery ?

Damnit, I just checked Canada Post's actual tracking thing and it says expected delivery is the 27th.
I paid like an extra 10$ for one day shipping, too...

Velcro Fly

Also there are two chests in the Chapter 1 dungeon that I don't know how to get. I guess I'll have to come back for them later or something. The game seems really cool about letting you go wherever you want even though there is supposed to be urgency in the story.

Jolkien

Damnit, I just checked Canada Post's actual tracking thing and it says expected delivery is the 27th.
I paid like an extra 10$ for one day shipping, too...

Happened to me before, you can contact Amazon, they refunded me the shipping cost and they gave me a free month of Prime when it happened to me.

Jolkien

So is there any way to heal your party (aside from items) when you're not in a dungeon?

Using the vending machine, they can even temporarily increase one of your party member luck. Cost 160 Yen so it's super cheap too. There's one in Fortuna, multiples one in Shibuya and one in the observatory.

BTA

I've never really played SMT or FE (though I've definitely been interested), but as soon as they reannounced the crossover as colorful J-pop nonsense I was immediately totally down to play it. I'm at the second Idolasphere and I love it so far, and it's going beyond what I expected mechanically. As someone who dislikes how unintuitive RPGs can be and finds dealing with that stressful, I'm so happy that things are relatively simplified here (including that given how weapons work, accessories are pretty much your only equipment), and how incredibly easy it is to access information on your party and enemies even in the middle of a battle.

My few, very minor complaints so far:
1. I really wish the battle lines were subtitled; I feel like lines showing up off by the status portraits like Enemy Radar does would have worked well. I know this would have been a lot of additional work so I understand this not being a thing, but it sucks to have so many unsubtitled lines, especially if that first boss is anything to go by.
Touma's dramatic entrance was hurt by not knowing what he was actually saying too.
2. It's weird how the Main Story chats on Topic seemingly jump between being group messages and private messages with one other person with absolutely nothing indicating this in the UI. Both the prologue and the first chapter start as group chats, and then the prologue suddenly becomes a private message with Touma and the first chapter with Tsubasa, even though you can scroll up and see someone else talking.

Anyone know if Giant Bomb plan a quick look of this? Or if they aren't planning one, if there is a video that closely emulates the style of a quick look without delving too deep into a let's play type video>

Austin said that he was going to try to record a QL before today (his last day), but wasn't sure if they were going to have time to squeeze it in. I didn't see any evidence of them playing it on the livestream today, so... ?

Polygon has a video with Nick Robinson playing the first hour, which may be what you're looking for.

Top Bottom