• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Shun

I'm in the same boat. I like a challenge but it strategy is really only taking me so far on hard. Character level seems to be factored into damage equations.

So there's no penalty for dropping out of hard or reward for keeping on hard? Do you get locked into lunatic?

question, for english version did they change the mob sadako name into something else or they stick with that one?

yes there's NG+
lunatic is unlocked after you beat the game for the 1st time, and no need to beat it on hard.
just try stick with hard for the 1st run, you'll enjoy the meaning of getting rng-blessed for this game :p

no penalty for dropping from hard, but imo if you beat hard and straight away play lunatic you might be able to get used to that difficulty a bit faster.
as for lunatic, might be remembering things wrong, you'll get difficulty locked. shun, help pls :p

I never got a chance to play Lunatic since I had to fly back to university for the term and leave the Wii U back in Hokkaido, but yes you are locked into Lunatic when you choose that difficulty for your NG+.

I can't really comment on Lunatic other than I know it is a step above in difficulty and that your standard Atlus RPG rules and tropes apply.

So if you've played a Atlus RPG, you know what to expect from the highest difficulty and from their New Game+

savage enemies compositions and levels be dependant of itsuki's level, not dungeon specific. so, even if you think you're overleveled for a dungeon, savage will always be either same level or most of the time higher leveled. that's why their the targets for grinding during late game, once your party can safely chain multiple sessions in a turn.
Oh yeah, rng level ups. The last thing i with they had brought from fe lol.

I would almost rather have perma death.
you really don't want permadeath in normal jrpg... lol

So quick and dirty; if i like persona will i like this? This pretty much looks looks like a persona game anyway so i just want to make sure. From my understanding it at the very least looks like a persona game with fire emblem characters taking the role of personas

no penalty for dropping from hard, but imo if you beat hard and straight away play lunatic you might be able to get used to that difficulty a bit faster.
as for lunatic, might be remembering things wrong, you'll get difficulty locked. shun, help pls :p

I can't imagine playing on lunatic. My characters are dying regularly even in normal encounters. Can you do it without grinding?

chrono01

I have a standard edition pre-ordered at Best Buy (for $45 CDN, due to an E3 promotion) with my special edition is still currently en-route to me. I was going to cancel/return the standard edition, since I have the special edition on the way, but with all of this praise for it, you guys are making me want to keep both just so I have one of them sealed. This game might become a rarity in a year or two...

casiopao

Oh yeah, rng level ups. The last thing i with they had brought from fe lol.

I would almost rather have perma death.

Lol. I am more or less prepared here for soft reset the game lol. Gotta get that 5 point level up.^_^ Hope this game won't had the same RNG troll like the New Mystery of Emblem where if some of your stats is max out, your chance of getting many point increase is decreased by a lot.

The characters and writing in this game are amazing. If you like persona yes buy this game. I'm enjoying it more than persona 4. Barry does not fuck around 😂

Finally started it up, just finished the first battle.

Atlus' presentation is just on another level. The menus, the battle screens, everything. Between this and Persona 5, they're killing it from a presentation standpoint.

Looks like I'm going in all night.

Only about half an hour into the game but I absolutely love how the gamepad is used. The text message stuff is awesome!

And Tsubasa is way too cute. I didn't think her personality would be like this but I love it!

i'm about 2 hours in and this game is slick as hell and hopefully a good indication of persona 5's presentation.

i always loved the press-turn system, so the session combo is the perfect addition.

the only thing that bums me out is the lack of subtitles during battle. they talk way too much to not know what they're saying.

I was looking through the character profiles in the Artists menu, and Tiki's entire entry is hilarious: "Weight: 3 GB".

This game is really good at adding a ton of charm to all the characters.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I got my copy yesterday...too bad I can't play it since my Wii U will not power on at all. What sucks is I have no way (that I know of) to test if the console is dead or the power adapter is dead. Do these have a 1 year warranty?

Think I'm going to bow down to normal. Chapter 2 boss is mauling me on hard. Can't session any of the adds down and he can 1hko everyone in my party except
touma
, who he sessions and kills anyway.

The lack of english voices is really bothersome during battles. I feel like im missing a lot of hints and stuff. Would be nice if there were subtitles during battles but oh well.

Love everything else so far.

DVCY201

Barry is my spirit animal. I'm loving this game, and the weapon skill system. Ugh, makes me feel bad that many are not giving this a chance.

jariw

The lack of english voices is really bothersome during battles. I feel like im missing a lot of hints and stuff. Would be nice if there were subtitles during battles but oh well.

Yes, this is by far the most serious issue with the localization.

rockx4

Love everything else so far.

Yea, I was looking for a way to turn on subtitles during battle. :(

poutmeter

Seems like the local game store isn't going to get any copies after all :( I really like the cover art, but I guess it's digital for me.

So quick and dirty; if i like persona will i like this? This pretty much looks looks like a persona game anyway so i just want to make sure. From my understanding it at the very least looks like a persona game with fire emblem characters taking the role of personas

I'm very early in the game but so far it's exactly as you're decribing it and I love it. I don't think the story and characters are going to be as memorable as in Persona 3 & 4 (and there are no social links) but the game has a very similar structure and it's a blast so far. The combat is superior to Persona, it's a really interesting system.

You shouldn't buy this thinking it's going to be Persona 5 but it definitely scratches the same itch and it's my favorite RPG in quite a while. I hope it doesn't bomb as hard in the west as it did in Japan, it really doesn't deserve such a fate.

knkng

If you like Persona, you will most likely enjoy this game. I guess you can say it's like Persona but with more streamlined or traditional world mechanics:
- You have an overworld map with static dungeons (non-randomized, can be re-visited any time).
- Skills and abilities are gained through battle or item drops (sort of like crafting).
- There are no constraints concerning time management, completing quests, or anything of that nature.

If that stuff doesn't bother you, then yeah, it basically feels like playing a remix version of a Persona game with Fire Emblem elements filling in a lot of the blanks.

Thoraxes

This battle system just feels really good. It's quick, slick, and moves perfectly while looking stylish as hell.

It instantly clicked with me and I love it. And the Radiant Unity skills and what they're adding to it even with the initial ones is just great. Itsuki's first one in particular changes up the whole dynamic of how to plan sessions.

UltraJay

(This is more of a technical question)

My Wii U is currently hooked up to a monitor that I have (said monitor is NOT connected to a computer in any way). Since this game has no off-tv play (and since the Gamepad only uses the in-game phone for sounds), am I SOL in regards to actually hearing the game audio?

Okay, this is being asked a lot and it has been answered in many ways but I'll just reiterate. If you have a monitor without speakers and are using HDMI for video then you will need to get some speakers for the sound to go through (or a pair of headphones with a converter). You will also need a Wii composite/component cable and then break the audio off to it in the settings.

This is also how I did it with my PS3 and Xbox 360 using its VGA cable. I'm actually using the converter from that cable so I can take the composite audio cables and turn them into a headphone jack.

So you need:
Speakers/Headphones/Computer Line In
Composite/Component Cable
Composite -> Headphone Jack convertor

It's the red and white cables you want.

Is it complete RNG, though? I have the feeling sometimes I get ridiculously good level ups from time to time to offset the bad level ups. E.g. I had level ups with >+10 stats up overall.

no idea though. didn't bother reading 2ch much when the game came out in japan. i thought of comparing party stats on my hard mode & lunatic mode based on my recorded vids, but i realized i picked different master seal path for every characters, and pre-master seal video for my lunatic run were mistakenly deleted. cannot check ingame since i've already packed my consoles.
my guess the level up stats are rng, but will geared to a certain base range when max level. kind of like a different take on the standard FE average growth

abd

This white screen gamepad is killing me. It feels like a flashlight shining on my face at all times.

FML, my copy was supposed to be delivered yesterday. It didn't, but tracking shows it was delivered this morning but I nor the neighbours received anything. I was looking forward to playing this in the weekend, but who knows when I'll this gets sorted out now :'-(.

don't you guys think that if they're adding battle subs it will be distracting during battle? also, i'm not sure if it is possible for it to change the subs quickly especially when you keep on switching target quickly without taxing the console lol

Top Bottom