• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Isotope

(This is more of a technical question)

My Wii U is currently hooked up to a monitor that I have (said monitor is NOT connected to a computer in any way). Since this game has no off-tv play (and since the Gamepad only uses the in-game phone for sounds), am I SOL in regards to actually hearing the game audio?

Jolkien

My Wii U is currently hooked up to a monitor that I have (said monitor is NOT connected to a computer in any way). Since this game has no off-tv play (and since the Gamepad only uses the in-game phone for sounds), am I SOL in regards to actually hearing the game audio?

Pretty much. A usb headset plugged in the console might work.

Beats

y'all think this game will be rare in a few months? Only had a passing interest in the game before, but after reading some impressions I might want to get it eventually.

Vena

y'all think this game will be rare in a few months? Only had a passing interest in the game before, but after reading some impressions I might want to get it eventually.

Yes. I doubt they printed much of this and the good word of mouth is probably going to suck up what little is left of the stock in the short run.

Trance

About an hour in. Going to put in at least another hour before bed. I go through a cringe-at-everything phase in the first hour of most JRPG's and I've already transitioned into being charmed by #FE. Looking forward to dedicating my video game time to this one over the next month.

I really hope P5 dungeons are at least on par with this game. It's no Nocturne, but loads better than P3 and P4 as far as dungeons. And, actually, the dungeon puzzles have been more complex than Nocturne more quickly imo. IIRC, Nocturne doesn't have
teleport traps
until
yoyogi
whereas this game has them in
shibuya already

diaspora

Not sure if it matters anymore if the game is available digitally; anyone who wants to play it can. I guess some will want a physical copy but eh.

Velcro Fly

Had Tsubasa die twice on the fight against
Aversa

First time her weakness got hit and then she got Session'd to death.

Second time it was just some super hard hitting physical attack. Don't think she was at full HP but it did like 200+ damage to me so it would have come close to killing her anyway.

Sucks to be wasting revival beads and I contemplated just doing the fight over again because that just feels really unlucky to have happen but I let it go. Rest of the fight went fine when I countered
Dark Envy
with Rakukaja. That probably would have saved Tsubasa from getting killed the second time so at least part of that is my fault.

Vecks

Amazon shipped my copy. Won't arrive until Sunday. Man, I can't believe it's finally time. I've been waiting for this game since the initial reveal.

ohlawd

I really hope P5 dungeons are at least on par with this game. It's no Nocturne, but loads better than P3 and P4 as far as dungeons. And, actually, the dungeon puzzles have been more complex than Nocturne more quickly imo. IIRC, Nocturne doesn't have
teleport traps
until
yoyogi
whereas this game has them in
shibuya already

lol no chance in hell. it's P Studio, don't have faith in those guys at all in that department. Atlus needs to get their EO guys on that shit.

Delio

I'm so hooked to this game man. It's hitting that rpg niche I needed now. Plus getting all the abilities and things off weapons is <3. Level ups have been okay so far. Itsuki is pumping up a lot of speed for me.

BTA

Austin said that he was going to try to record a QL before today (his last day), but wasn't sure if they were going to have time to squeeze it in. I didn't see any evidence of them playing it on the livestream today, so... ?

Polygon has a video with Nick Robinson playing the first hour, which may be what you're looking for.

I forget if it was on the stream (I think it was?) or the Beastcast, but Austin said they'd recorded a Quick Look.

I found a third minor complaint: I really really hate having inaccurate playtime counts in games (especially this early on, when I want to know how far I am) because my brain's weird sometimes, and apparently the home menu doesn't stop the timer from counting in this. I had to suspend it for a few hours and came back to a count that's higher by like 3 hours than what I've actually played.

Rappy

Kiria's new pants actually look like pants in game. I guess they didn't actually just paint it on.

They changed it in all versions, at least for the final game, so it was more a design change and not so much censorship. That smoke boobs for CH 1 boss seems like one of the pointless changes seeing as they don't include the smoke in the in-game model.

Kyrios

Prologue finished, man I love this game already. Definitely scratching that Persona itch for this year. Makes waiting until February for Persona 5 a lot more easier.

NateDrake

Glad to see so many positive impressions. I really enjoyed my time with the game. The setting and characters may not appeal to everyone, but the combat system and the actual game itself is damn good.

Vena

lol no chance in hell. it's P Studio, don't have faith in those guys at all in that department. Atlus needs to get their EO guys on that shit.

They are busy making EOV. :p

Also its going to be funny if TMS has the better dungeon design given PStudio's general inability to make compelling dungeons (imo).

They changed it in all versions, at least for the final game, so it was more a design change and not so much censorship. That smoke boobs for CH 1 boss seems like one of the pointless changes seeing as they don't include the smoke in the in-game model.

Oh I was speaking from early images I had seen of this, not the NoA stuff.

I really love the ad-lib performances.

Special performances are meh in presentation but super important for battle. Could not have won a single boss or mini boss without them after the prologue so far. Hard is grinding me down lol. Someone please tell me there are no awards for hard mode.

Shun

I really love the ad-lib performances.

Special performances are meh in presentation but super important for battle. Could not have won a single boss or mini boss without them after the prologue so far. Hard is grinding me down lol. Someone please tell me there are no awards for hard mode.

Only for Lunatic.

Dunno how widespread but it happened to Johneawesome (Youtube LPer) as well

Maybe it's a curse. Hopefully super small-scale

I've never had that happen or heard that happen in the JP version on 1.0 or 1.1 update.

Maybe and hopefully it's just a minor thing.

Renewed

Only for Lunatic.

I've never had that happen or heard that happen in the JP version on 1.0 or 1.1 update.

Maybe and hopefully it's just a minor thing.

I wondered if it was a possible error with the disc version's battle load times being in the 5 second area compared to the 9 seconds for the JP version, but I don't think that's feasible. Maybe they can just patch the crashes with an update.

anyone who had their game crash, you guys using discs? no problems so far on digital. load times are sweet too

I'm using a disc.

Hugstable

Banned
Only for Lunatic.

Does the game have NG+? Also to do Lunatic do I need to play the whole time in Hard or is this one of those things were you can just change it to hard at last boss and still unlock Lunatic? I'm on hard right now but thinking about turning it down, bosses and especially Savage encounters are really taking a toll on my characters.

anyone who had their game crash, you guys using discs? no problems so far on digital. load times are sweet too

Yeah my digital copy has been running fine, the battle transitions are really quick to where load times don't bother me at all.

knkng

Yeah my digital copy has been running fine, the battle transitions are really quick to where load times don't bother me at all.

Got to agree with this. I'm playing the digital version and haven't really noticed the load times at all. They're there, but not an issue.

Finally got some time with it after work. In the middle of Chapter 1 right now, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Battle system is definitely neat, and I really like how it was structured. I don't think it's as good as the Press Turn system, but there's definitely some real potential with Sessions and how they're linked together. I imagine once I get more characters and Session skills, my session combos will go through the roof. Dungeon design is showing some promise.

The characters are cool too, but I'm still getting used to the plot/setting though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Really loving this game. The load times haven't bothered me at all, disc version here.

You can output through analogue red and white cables if you have any separate speakers that will take that. You can output HDMI video (and audio that you can't use if you want) at the same time with the HDMI cable. Just use your Wii cable for the audio.

Long shot that this could work for you, but I'll link it just in case.

If you have not already, connect the Wii U console to the television or monitor via the HDMI cable. How to
Locate a Wii AV Cable or a Wii Component Video Cable.
Locate the proper inputs on your speaker system and connect the audio (red & white) inputs.
From the Wii U Menu, launch "System Settings."
Using the Left Stick, scroll to the "TV" icon and press the A button.
Select "TV Audio-Output Type."
Press the X button or select "Output-Cable Settings" at the top right.
Select either "Non-HDMI" or "Both" depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
Selecting "Non-HDMI" will output sound only through the device that is connected to the Wii AV Cable or Wii Component Video Cable.
Selecting "Both" will output sound out of the device connected to the HDMI cable and the device connected to the Wii AV Cable or Wii Component Video Cable.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1545/~/how-to-use-the-wii-u-console-with-an-external-speaker-system

Edit: As someone else said later, you can then get an adapter for the RCA plugs. It's all analogue audio that way, so you can indeed listen with headphones that way as long as you can get an adapter, all while outputting video through HDMI. The audio output options were added in a system update. Just use your Wii AV cable.

Does the game have NG+? Also to do Lunatic do I need to play the whole time in Hard or is this one of those things were you can just change it to hard at last boss and still unlock Lunatic? I'm on hard right now but thinking about turning it down, bosses and especially Savage encounters are really taking a toll on my characters.

I'm in the same boat. I like a challenge but it strategy is really only taking me so far on hard. Character level seems to be factored into damage equations.

Only for Lunatic.

So there's no penalty for dropping out of hard or reward for keeping on hard? Do you get locked into lunatic?

Deku89

When I read about savage encounters, I thought they couldn't be that bad. I was over leveled and thought I'd be fine. I was not fine.

Samaritan

Really regretting my decision to cancel my Special Edition preorder after all of the positive word of mouth the game is getting. GameStop's website shows it being in stock, but if you try to actually checkout, it disappears from your cart. I messed up lol.

Draxal

They made the clown mob "Nickelwise", it made me smile.

I honestly really love the extreme lighthearted tone of this game, so different than SMT4, but I like it.

Persona7

Banned

Do you have a WIi AV cable? You can plug that in and output sound through that and then get a RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug your headphones in.

Thoraxes

These text messages add a ridiculous amount of charm to the characters, holy shit. Even all the inconsistent capitalization and punctuation here and there goes a real long way to really make it feel like friends you're texting. Like Itsuki always has proper writing in texts, and the others have their own quirks too. Then their little profiles on the bottom left are also just great. Like Touma's pictured below. The way it's written is perfect for getting across exactly who he is.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepzqsqy.jpg

question, for english version did they change the mob sadako name into something else or they stick with that one?

yes there's NG+
lunatic is unlocked after you beat the game for the 1st time, and no need to beat it on hard.
just try stick with hard for the 1st run, you'll enjoy the meaning of getting rng-blessed for this game :p
I'm in the same boat. I like a challenge but it strategy is really only taking me so far on hard. Character level seems to be factored into damage equations.

So there's no penalty for dropping out of hard or reward for keeping on hard? Do you get locked into lunatic?
no penalty for dropping from hard, but imo if you beat hard and straight away play lunatic you might be able to get used to that difficulty a bit faster.
as for lunatic, might be remembering things wrong, you'll get difficulty locked. shun, help pls :p

Rainy

Banned
I love Tsubasa's texting, especially when she uses >:c and -w-, it's adorable. But yeah I agree, the texting makes everything so nice.

When I read about savage encounters, I thought they couldn't be that bad. I was over leveled and thought I'd be fine. I was not fine.

After reading everyone's comments about savage encounters..... I've just run away from the 2 or 3 that have appeared, frantically &#128520;

Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and get this tomorrow after reading all of the positive impressions. I am also getting Star Ocean on Tuesday so looks like I'm set for a while with JRPG goodness!

Top Bottom