• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

-shadow-

don't you guys think that if they're adding battle subs it will be distracting during battle? also, i'm not sure if it is possible for it to change the subs quickly especially when you keep on switching target quickly without taxing the console lol
I doubt so. They could've easily placed some subtitles on the top of the screen where you can ignore it if you want. I'm really curious what the first boss said when I had defeated him. But who knows with Nintendo's way of localising this completely wrong. Still, I have to admit that what was actually translated is great. Tsubasa's text messages are great!

demonkaze

I just finished up the dungeon of Chapter 1 and was wondering if it was possible to go everywhere in the dungeon during your first time through? On the top floor (or the floor before the top anyway) theres a part of it that i didn't get to, is it possible for me to get there at the moment?

don't you guys think that if they're adding battle subs it will be distracting during battle? also, i'm not sure if it is possible for it to change the subs quickly especially when you keep on switching target quickly without taxing the console lol

For me it would be a bit distracting and unnecessary but the ones complaining about it are the ones who do miss it, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It personally doesn't bother me that the battles aren't subbed, I like that I'm hearing and starting to recognize some key words that are repeated and I find that fun 👽

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Made it a little into Ch. 1 last night, hoping to get a big chunk played later today & into the night on my night off work.

I think I'll give more impressions once I've reached Ch. 2, but I'm rather digging it & the systems like making stronger weapons which in turn let you learn new skills (which I might like better over "crap, what persona can I fuse that lets me keep x skill?" at the moment). It feels like being able to play a console JRPG after so long & know it'll most likely keep my attention, I think the last system one I actually bothered to beat (despite not 100%) was freakin' Ni no Kuni in 2013 or so.

MLH

It's not been a problem yet but Itsuke leaned a Wind-Thunder follow up attack.
Some of the enemies I've encountered are weak to wind and resistant to lightning, so naturally I cast Zan (wind) and Itsuke follows-up with Zio(lightning) with noticeable reduced damaged due to enemy resistance.
Are there any enemies with reflect resistances and are follow-up attacks effected?
This would be both great (for strategy and planning) and terrible... because fuck losing :p
I'm really liking the depth of character levelling/ growth in this. It seems at some point I'll need to decide on what skills will be best to keep and what synergy they have with party members skills.

It's not been a problem yet but Itsuke leaned a Wind-Thunder follow up attack.
Some of the enemies I've encountered are weak to wind and resistant to lightning, so naturally I cast Zan (wind) and Itsuke follows-up with Zio(lightning) with noticeable reduced damaged due to enemy resistance.
Are there any enemies with reflect resistances and are follow-up attacks effected?
This would be both great (for strategy and planning) and terrible... because fuck losing :p
I'm really liking the depth of character levelling/ growth in this. It seems at some point I'll need to decide on what skills will be best to keep and what synergy they have with party members skills.

follow ups are affected.
for example a standard chain is fire->lightning->sword->wind, but the target monster reflects sword, then it will either stop at lightning, or the system will try to find another chain that can deal more session attacks. it only applies if you already know that enemy will reflect that attack type. if it's the first time, that chain will go with the sword, but the damage will be reflected and session attacks halted
same as if the enemy absorbs/block the attack type.

Piotrek

How exactly do you rest in this game? I'm at the first teleport in the second Idolasphere (excluding the one near the entrance) and running a little low on EP. Have I missed something in the tutorial popups or are cafes the only way of refreshing my team, aside from chakra drops?

How exactly do you rest in this game? I'm at the first teleport in the second Idolasphere (excluding the one near the entrance) and running a little low on EP. Have I missed something in the tutorial popups or are cafes the only way of refreshing my team, aside from chakra drops?

vending machine for cheap ones. cafe is a bit expensive.
different item from machine & cafe will give different luck bonus to different character. iirc there's no food that gives luck to all characters

AHindD

Guys, loading times, what are they like?
Thinking of going digital, as apparently the loading times with that version are much better than the physical one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
follow ups are affected.
for example a standard chain is fire->lightning->sword->wind, but the target monster reflects sword, then it will either stop at lightning, or the system will try to find another chain that can deal more session attacks. it only applies if you already know that enemy will reflect that attack type. if it's the first time, that chain will go with the sword, but the damage will be reflected and session attacks halted
That's really neat for the game to remember that. I'm starting to appreciate the mechanics of this game more when Persona 4 was basically "guess the enemy's weakness, exploit it, all-out attack, win."

regarding follow up attacks, i forgot another thing
if one of the sessions ends up killing the enemy mid battle, and it continues to another enemy, damage still goes on
example: same chain, fire->lightning->sword->wind
target A ends up dying during lightning attack so sword will attack target B. if target B has sword block/reflect/absorb, that one is ignored for this session only and it will receive damage (not sure if it's neutral or resist damage value)
disclaimer: i might remembering things wrong, but pretty sure that's the situation when i observed them back when I played the japanese version

basically, as long as the enemy can get damaged and there's a suitable follow up (no repeat characters unless duo arts is triggered), the session attacks will go on

After beating the 1st dungeon, normal difficulty feels both fun and challenging without frustration. I'm still getting knocked on my ass by some encounters or if I hang around too long fighting.

I've played this much longer than I thought I would today due to that feeling of being challenged mixed with what feels like good character growth so far.

Now those savage encounters...... After running my first couple times I finally got caught by one and got completely destroyed 😅

Best thing about this games many systems is that together, they encourage you not to stick to your favourite party members all game. Instead you level them all up simultaneously, swapping them in and out.

Robin64

That feeling when you haven't saved in a while and then get destroyed by a Savage you couldn't avoid or escape from.

I need to remember to save OFTEN.

Jiraiza

The lack of english voices is really bothersome during battles. I feel like im missing a lot of hints and stuff. Would be nice if there were subtitles during battles but oh well.

Love everything else so far.

That sucks, the banter between the characters and their mirages is actually pretty fun.

Rewind

This game has really good battle mechanics, I just wish I could switch the main char out of battle like my other members.

So.

I forgot that the WiiU gamepad has the battery life of... Well. It doesn't go very long.

I got in just under four hours of playtime, with 20 minutes of idling for reasons. Music is fantastic, great battle system. I'm really glad the game has been as good as I was expecting from the previews.

Trying to decide if I'm gonna let the gamepad charge and play more tonight or just call it and play tomorrow.

Memory

So.

I forgot that the WiiU gamepad has the battery life of... Well. It doesn't go very long.

I got in just under four hours of playtime, with 20 minutes of idling for reasons. Music is fantastic, great battle system. I'm really glad the game has been as good as I was expecting from the previews.

Trying to decide if I'm gonna let the gamepad charge and play more tonight or just call it and play tomorrow.

Extended battery should have been the first thing you bought for your Wii U pad my friend.

I really hope the NX controller uses AA like the X-box pad. Sony and Nintendo dropped the ball with their power solutions this gen.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got to before ending Chapter 1 intermission. Jeez when enemies session you, you get rekt. I wish Kiria had a pretty carnage too. Nothing tops Maiko tho.

Extended battery should have been the first thing you bought for your Wii U pad my friend.

I really hope the NX controller uses AA like the X-box pad. Sony and Nintendo dropped the ball with their power solutions this gen.

I know, I know. It's ridiculous that I haven't done it yet.

And of course I can't get one from Amazon.

Do they sell these in stores ANYWHERE?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Distracting how? Combat is turn-based, no punishment from gazing away at subtitles for a brief moment. Instead we are forced to shrug and guess what is being stated, which makes the localization feel incomplete.

This is the sort of omission that is understandable from a niche localization house with limited budget and resources, but treehouse?

So.

Surely there's a power point somewhere near your couch? Use an extension lead if you must.

I always see people complaining about the gamepads battery life, but I just charge it while I play...

I doubt so. They could've easily placed some subtitles on the top of the screen where you can ignore it if you want. I'm really curious what the first boss said when I had defeated him. But who knows with Nintendo's way of localising this completely wrong. Still, I have to admit that what was actually translated is great. Tsubasa's text messages are great!

I don't know. Right now text is in text boxes or on cutscenes. They provide didn't design the battle screen to have a place to put text.

Though for the more purely cutscene parts of battle perhaps subtitles could have been used.

jariw

Why the hell is Tsubasa not the main character?

Itsuki is bland af

Itsuki is probably the main character in the same way Link is the main in Zelda. A neutral personality, allowing the non-main characters to have much more personality.

So.

You should be able to play this game with the charging cable in the Gamepad. It's not that the game requires lots of rapid movement or anything.

Guys, loading times, what are they like?
Thinking of going digital, as apparently the loading times with that version are much better than the physical one.

I have the disc version, and the loading times are quite ok. Nothing like Xenoblade X.

I really love the menu screen with all the characters lying down. Glad I picked this up. If I had bought a Japanese Wii U just to play it I would not have been upset at this point.

Soul Lab

So, I recommended this to a friend. He bought it. He played it and recommended it to his friend. He bought it too. :D

another friend of mine is thinking about the purchase. I almost have him

Spread the word guys!

I got to the first intermission and decided to finish up for the day. It's very good.

Though it's a little annoying to not see any of the enemies at the start of a battle (apart from small icons showing the turn order) until starting to select what type of action to take.

Sending the player back to load their last save upon a game over just requires the player to take the time to save often to not lose progress. A Dragon Quest way of handling game overs would be better (though I haven't gotten any game overs yet). Something like sending the player back a bit but with their experience and collected items, but without expended items or some similar punishment, would be better.

vareon

Okay, I'll be getting my copy on Monday. That means the weekend and Sunday will be reserved by Overwatch, I guess. Can't wait!

Soul Lab

I got to the first intermission and decided to finish up for the day. It's very good.

Though it's a little annoying to not see any of the enemies at the start of a battle (apart from small icons showing the turn order) until starting to select what type of action to take.

I dont know what you mean. what do you want to know before selecting an action?

Just got my copy in the post today!
Can't wait to start.
(I love JRPG's but always tend to hardly ever finish them. Hopefully that will change with this one)
2016-06-25%2001.10.34%201.jpg

I have mixed feelings on this game. I love the gameplay, and the music is good but I absolutely hate the pop Idol theme. As a guy who grew up with the greatest RPGs of all time (chrono trigger, ffvi) I don't understand why these newer games insist on pushing the Idol culture on us.

Stalk

My physical copy hasn't shown up so I bought digital, got an hour in last night. Initial chapter is pretty, I like that it jumps in quickly!

I dont know what you mean. what do you want to know before selecting an action?
I want to know if a normal attack is enough or if it's worth using a skill (eg they are weak to one), for example. Reading enemy types and number based on the small icons in the turn order bar isn't as good as being able to see the enemy models right at the start.

Soul Lab

I want to know if a normal attack is enough or if it's worth using a skill (eg they are weak to one), for example. Reading enemy types and number based on the small icons in the turn order bar isn't as good as being able to see the enemy models right at the start.
there is also information on the gamepad if it's that what you mean

Top Bottom