• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

there is also information on the gamepad if it's that what you mean
I didn't notice that there is some information on the gamepad during battle but it would be clearer/better if they just had the usual view of the battle on the TV at the start of a battle. Even though it has the same camera angle when selecting each top-level action, it only bothers me at the start of a battle before I see what the enemies are all like.

Chaos17

I have mixed feelings on this game. I love the gameplay, and the music is good but I absolutely hate the pop Idol theme. As a guy who grew up with the greatest RPGs of all time (chrono trigger, ffvi) I don't understand why these newer games insist on pushing the Idol culture on us.

We can return the same kind of question about western games :p

Just want to share some ideas about the game. It is interesting to witness the huge difference in responding to the theme of the game by different cultures. Some of you may know I am a Chinese, and people here are positive towards the game right from the reveal. Many people were surely shocked by the surprising Japanese entertainment theme, but generally people were positive towards the game and thought it is an interesting theme, whereas in GAF or many English forums, many people were claiming the game is full of pandering and otaku shit. I guess it is because Chinese are more influenced by Japanese entertainment culture. Many of us (on Chinese forums) started watching Japanese animes when we were little, and many people here develop substantial interest and love towards Jpop and Japanese things (including me). I think this is the main reason why we generally accept the theme and are more willing to play the game.

Although I still have not yet make my purchase, I will surely play it when I finished my FE and Zelda playthrough!

Couple questions:

1. Are stat gains random like in FE? Is there any reason I should be worried about characters getting RNG screwed?

2. Is there any way to screw up a character in terms of which skills to keep and add to their lists? Or can you always go back and learn something you threw away or didn't take in the first place?

EDarkness

Got the game in yesterday and finally decided to sit down and play. Over 7 hours later and I'm wondering where the time went. The combat is crazy addictive and I find myself saying, "Just one more fight." constantly. I've gotten a good understanding of how Sessions work and have been using them like crazy. Had a couple rough Savage encounters, but so far there haven't been too many problems. Will probably put a few more hours in today. Characters are pretty cool and I'm really glad I picked it up.

casiopao

Just want to share some ideas about the game. It is interesting to witness the huge difference in responding to the theme of the game by different cultures. Some of you may know I am a Chinese, and people here are positive towards the game right from the reveal. Many people were surely shocked by the surprising Japanese entertainment theme, but generally people were positive towards the game and thought it is an interesting theme, whereas in GAF or many English forums, many people were claiming the game is full of pandering and otaku shit. I guess it is because Chinese are more influenced by Japanese entertainment culture. Many of us (on Chinese forums) started watching Japanese animes when we were little, and many people here develop substantial interest and love towards Jpop and Japanese things (including me). I think this is the main reason why we generally accept the theme and are more willing to play the game.

Although I still have not yet make my purchase, I will surely play it when I finished my FE and Zelda playthrough!

I kinda agree with your view here. I am from Indonesia here and with the miniscule wii u owner, many of us seems to adore this game when is finally showcase to fans with all the idol thingy. With how many of us childhood is filled with anime and Japanese products, it probably make us more tolerant and acceptable towards this kind of thing.^~^

Anyway...... My game is scheduled to arrive in the second of July...... Kill me.TT

Razmos

Just got wiped by a savage encounter where the enemies all used a session to wipe out my characters one by one. I hadn't saved since the end of the fucking prologue and just lost about 3 hours of progress. Are you fucking kidding me

EDarkness

Just got wiped by a savage encounter where the enemies all used a session to wipe out my characters one by one. I hadn't saved since the end of the fucking prologue and just lost about 3 hours of progress. Are you fucking kidding me

Yeah, I found out early that you gotta save constantly in this game. Those savage encounters can come from anywhere at any time and can totally ruin your day.

Robin64

Did the same, though mine was only 15 minutes of progess at least. Saving a lot now.

Should be huge letters at the top of the OP, "SAVE OFTEN", heh.

always have smoke bombs (or whatever the item that allows you to escape battle) in your inventory. you're welcome
Couple questions:

1. Are stat gains random like in FE? Is there any reason I should be worried about characters getting RNG screwed?

2. Is there any way to screw up a character in terms of which skills to keep and add to their lists? Or can you always go back and learn something you threw away or didn't take in the first place?

1. stats gain is random, but it seems trending to a certain base range at higher level, so don't worry much about rng screwed for the stats
you should worry about getting rng screwed during boss fight instead :p

2. not really. most skills will be repeated few times in different weapon, and later you'll unlock the ability to upgrade your weapon up until +8 iinm, so you can always have chance to relearn/upgrade the skills from that weapon

I missed my Amazon UPS delivery, so now I have to wait till Monday for them to redeliver it. I wish Amazon hadn't shipped it the night before and just sent it through USPS at least then I could have it redelivered Saturday. I'm so tempted to just go buy it at Gamestop and return the amazon one when it arrives. I can't wait to play this.

I kinda agree with your view here. I am from Indonesia here and with the miniscule wii u owner, many of us seems to adore this game when is finally showcase to fans with all the idol thingy. With how many of us childhood is filled with anime and Japanese products, it probably make us more tolerant and acceptable towards this kind of thing.^~^

Anyway...... My game is scheduled to arrive in the second of July...... Kill me.TT

Oh, I see. I definitely agree that we are more tolerant towards Japanese stuff. But there are still exceptions. Sometimes I really cannot understand what Japanese are thinking when they produce some weird things like Dojinshi / Visual Novels with hardcore stuff...

BTW, I remember you are the one trying to get the TMS artbook, isn't it? Amazon Japan ships books globally, so you may try to order from Amazon if you haven't yet ordered it from another place.

Oh, I see. I definitely agree that we are more tolerant towards Japanese stuff. But there are still exceptions. Sometimes I really cannot know what Japanese are thinking when they produce some weird things like Dojinshi / Visual Novels with hardcore stuff...

BTW, I remember you are the one trying to get the TMS artbook, isn't it? Amazon Japan ships books globally, so you may try to order from Amazon if you haven't yet ordered it from another place.

different people has different fetish :p

different people has different fetish :p

Ugh, some of their fetishes are really... eye-opening. Anyway, I think we should be back to the original topic. I believe that many people are really enjoying the game. Personally, I don't really like Persona 3 (haven't yet played 4) and I would like to know how you, who have played both TMS and Persona 3, think of TMS? Is it superior / inferior compared with P3? In what ways?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
give me the scoop, will this curb my persona hunger until February?

Only a few hours in, but at its foundation its pretty much a Persona game, albeit with some systems stripped away and altered.

You still wander Tokyo as high school kids and visit shops for accessory upgrades and consumables. Dungeons still feature enemies on screen as you manage your resources to survive the gauntlet of enemies before reaching the boss.

The big changes reflect a lack of Social Links, and the very minor Fire Emblem infusion into combat. Persona's are essentially just cameo characters(uncertain if there is a deeper relationship to that franchise beyond just stylizing popular FE heroes and villains as supernatural Persona's). Skill gain occurs from crafting new weapons from materials and leveling them up through combat to add to your limited selection of slots.

Tone and story is very light-hearted and family friendly so far. Persona itself felt a bit toothless compared to its SMT brethren in that regard, but this goes even further to match Nintendo's image, but the pop-idol theming actually is a bit charming and endearing so far.

My only real complaint this early in is how dull some of the exploration music can be. Certain vocal tracks are very energetic and well produced now and again, but exploring the world map(such as your home base) between dungeons fills your ears with some rather lackluster theme tracks that are just limp. Oh and so many lines of Japanese dialogue are untranslated during combat that it feels like you are missing out on lots of banter.

Persona fans should give it a look for sure.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Guys, loading times, what are they like?
Thinking of going digital, as apparently the loading times with that version are much better than the physical one.

They're mostly fine on disc. Longest I have seen involves scene transitions running about Tokyo, which feels like ~8 seconds. There really hasn't been any noticeable issue that would cause groaning so far in my time with the game. If you really want physical, loading has not been problematic.

Kouriozan

Finally got to start it, and it reminds me of Digimon Cyber Sleuth so much, especially about the investigations.
Liking the game so far.

Nosgotham

Haha. Lesson learned I guess

Omnicent

Haha. Lesson learned I guess

This happened to me during the first Tiki side quest.
I had probs with savage fights in Shibuya 106 during chapter 1, but sheiiiit this one had new enemies all level 21 (party was around 15). It didnt help that I got surprised (savage surprise means you are probably going to die) and the wiped out when I got hit with some fire AoE spells that did 300+ damage to everyone in my party.

I'd hate to see what its like on lunatic.
Now if I see that dark colored enemy on the field I save cause shit can go wrong really fast.

jariw

Related question: is there any "rules" to when and where savage encounters occur?

Related question: is there any "rules" to when and where savage encounters occur?
Not from what I've seen. As mentioned there are ¥400 items that will guarantee escape. Otherwise just watch your exits. Even still, they can spawn right next to you and slip it inside before you can close your legs

Dominator

I haven't had a Wii U in about a year and a half, just ordered a new one to play this. Was waiting to see if NX would be backwards compatable but fuck it, I'll just keep it for all my Wii games as well. Can't wait to jump in, been having a Persona sized hole in my heart since beating Golden a little over 2 years ago. This and Persona 5 within one year is godly timing.

Just finished the Prologue and I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised. Turn based battle feels excellent! I think this game does a much better way of easing you into battle than SMT or Persona and I appreciate it. The saccharine overload aesthetic is bursting with cliche and weirdness in a well executed way.

Looks like the "Restoration" patch is going along well, for those of us who are into that.
I'll probably see how much effort it takes to install it (stupid white paint ass arms wtf) when it's done.

ohlawd

Looks like the "Restoration" patch is going along well, for those of us who are into that.
I'll probably see how much effort it takes to install it (stupid white paint ass arms wtf) when it's done.

yeah it's going pretty fast. thinking of playing Lunatic with the patch once it's out

daemonic

Banned
Just finished the prologue, playing on Hard mode and loving every minute of it so far. Game seems more Persona than anything else, the music, style, and especially the slick UI. Loading times aren't terrible on disc but could be faster.

How long on average does it take to finish the game?

Just finished the prologue, playing on Hard mode and loving every minute of it so far. Game seems more Persona than anything else, the music, style, and especially the slick UI. Loading times aren't terrible on disc but could be faster.

How long on average does it take to finish the game?

I heard 25-35 rushing through, 60+ if you're doing all the side quests. Perfect length, imo.

Vhalyar

Finally finished the download and completed the prologue, good stuff. But I understand why people are complaining about the lack of battle subs, it's criminal :/

L95

don't you guys think that if they're adding battle subs it will be distracting during battle? also, i'm not sure if it is possible for it to change the subs quickly especially when you keep on switching target quickly without taxing the console lol

At the very least I'd have liked subs during the boss death scenes...

Shin-chan

I just finished the prologue and I like it a lot. The combat feels really good with responsive animations. I don't really like the battle music at the moment though.

The story is very unique. I think I'll end up enjoying it more than I expected.

Edit: how does hard mode stack up with previous Megatens? I'm looking for a challenge but I don't want something tedious and frustrating.

Sölf

Just finished chapter 1 after roughly 6 hours of playtime. The chapter boss was actually the first "real" boss, imo. There are still chests in the dungeon I couldn't get, but I assume I need to break through those special walls first in order to reach those. Still like the game. Will do Touma's Sidestory tomorrow and then continue with the main storyline. Unless I find more sidequests, then I do those first. xD

welp, almost got wiped by a savage encounter in 106. I'm Lv 12 facing Lv 21s, with spear/axe attacks

also annoying that you have to wait a bit before enemies are in a down state to get first strike

Scrawnton

Seriously, the cell phone mechanic in this game is brilliant and I will be upset if Persona 5 doesn't end up having a similar mechanic. I kind of like running around and getting a new message sent to me from my team mates.

This is probably the best feature the gamepad has ever had. It could be done on the tv screen too, and I wish it was so I could go full pro controller, but it's still an amazing feature.

Hobbun

Ok, I just stopped playing after crafting (carnaging) my first weapon. Love the game so far. My only complaint is the same as everyone else's, in that I wish there was a way to know what party members are saying in battle. Too bad they couldn't have at least localized that portion, or give us at least subs.

But otherwise, it's extremely addicting and just love Tsubasa, best character by far.

From what I understand is you need to forget skills eventually to make room for new ones. And the only way to relearn them is through carnaging a weapon again. My question is, does that skill start at base again?

Would hate to get it up to a +9 and then forget it and then start over again. Wish you didn't have to pick and choose on skills.

NeonZ

Would hate to get it up to a +9 and then forget it and then start over again. Wish you didn't have to pick and choose on skills.

They really should have had multiple mirages per character. Just keep the other options with the same class (in order to reuse animations) and the game would have to change very little. The Mirages seem disappointingly irrelevant story-wise (with the amnesia also limiting the relevancy of Fire Emblem references here), so I don't know why they didn't go in the direction of allowing Mirage switching.

I played the prologue and the Session System seems pretty fun.

I have one question for the others playing, how is the difficulty going forward compared to other Atlus games such as Persona 3 and SMT Nocturne? The beginning of the game on normal felt really easy to me, how does it scale later?

Top Bottom